Newtown River consists of a number of estuaries of small rivers, and has the form of several finger-like indentations in the coastline.
The narrow entrance to Newtown River is 3/4 of a mile east of Hamstead Point, in the centre of Newtown Bay. The entrance needs navigating with care as there is a bar across the entrance, strong cross tides and a fair flow of water in and out of the entrance channel at mid-tide. Although a lot of mud is exposed in the harbour at low water there are a number of moorings in the deeper parts of the creeks and lakes and the anchorage can become crowded at weekends during the main sailing season.
Scouts from nearby Corf Camp often make use of the Estuary for expeditions from the jetty on the shore.
The harbour is loved for its unspoilt beauty and tranquility. The River and adjoining land are regarded as one of the best examples of an undisturbed natural harbour on the south coast of England with its varied habitats ranging from woodland, ancient meadows, mudflats and marshland. It supports a number of rare species, but its primary importance is as a wintering ground for seabirds.
The River is part of the Isle of Wight’s Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB), and is part of the Hamstead Heritage Coast.
The area is also part of a 619.3 hectare biological Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). It was notified in 1951.
|Site of Special Scientific Interest|
|Area of Search||Isle of Wight|
|Location map||Natural England|
Appuldurcombe House (also spelt Appledorecombe or Appledore Combe) is the shell of a large 18th-century baroque country house of the Worsley family. The house is situated near to Wroxall on the Isle of Wight, England. It is now managed by English Heritage and is open to the public. A small part of the 300-acre (1.2 km2; 0.47 sq mi) estate that once surrounded it is still intact, but other features of the estate are still visible in the surrounding farmland and nearby village of Wroxall, including the entrance to the park, the Freemantle Gate, now used only by farm animals and pedestrians.Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway
The Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway was railway line in the Isle of Wight, United Kingdom, connecting the named towns. It was intended to connect the thinly populated west of the island, and it opened in 1889. At Newport it relied on the existing Isle of Wight Central Railway station, but trains entering it had to shunt back from the junction. The IoWCR worked the line.
The line was never commercially successful, and a break with the IoWCR in 1913 obliged the FY&NR hastily to build its own Newport station and acquire locomotives and rolling stock while in receivership.
After the Southern Railway absorbed the FY&NR in 1923 the SR developed holiday traffic, but it was highly seasonal and the heavy losses resulted in closure in 1953.Isle of Wight Coastal Path
The Isle of Wight Coastal Path (or Coastal Footpath) is a circular long-distance footpath of 70 miles (113 km) around the Isle of Wight, UK. It follows public footpaths and minor lanes, with some sections along roads.List of estuaries of England
The following is a list of estuaries in England:
Blue Anchor Bay
Inner Solway Estuary
Inner Thames Estuary
Lindisfarne & Budle Bay
North Norfolk Estuary
Ore / Alde / Butley Estuary
Salcombe and Kingsbridge Estuary
The Fleet and Portland Harbour
Yealm EstuaryList of places on the British coastline
This is a list of places on the British coastline, by country and county (administrative). Some coastlines are designated Heritage Coasts.
South West Coast PathList of rivers of England
This is a list of rivers of England, organised geographically and taken anti-clockwise around the English coast where the various rivers discharge into the surrounding seas, from the Solway Firth on the Scottish border to the Welsh Dee on the Welsh border, and again from the Wye on the Welsh border anti-clockwise to the Tweed on the Scottish border.
Tributaries are listed down the page in an upstream direction. The main stem (or principal) river of a catchment is labelled as (MS), left-bank tributaries are indicated by (L), right-bank tributaries by (R). Note that in general usage, the 'left (or right) bank of a river' refers to the left (or right) hand bank, as seen when looking downstream. Where a named river derives from the confluence of two differently named rivers these are labelled as (Ls) and (Rs) for the left and right forks (the rivers on the left and right, relative to an observer facing downstream). A prime example is the River Tyne (MS), the confluence of the South Tyne (Rs) and the North Tyne (Ls) near Hexham. Those few watercourses (mainly in the Thames catchment) which branch off a major channel and then rejoin it or another watercourse further downstream are known as distributaries or anabranches and are labelled (d).
The list is (or at least will be when completed) essentially a list of the main rivers of England (as defined by the Environment Agency) and which includes those named watercourses for which the Environment Agency has a flood defence function. Difficulties arise otherwise in determining what should and what should not be included. Some minor watercourses are included in the list, especially if they are named as 'river'- such examples may be labelled (m).
For simplicity, they are divided here by the coastal sections within which each river system discharges to the sea. In the case of the rivers which straddle the borders with Scotland and Wales, such as the Border Esk, Tweed, Dee, Severn and Wye, only those tributaries which lie at least partly in England are included.List of rivers of New Zealand
This is a list of all waterways named as rivers in New Zealand. In a small number of cases, which have not been fully indexed here, there are multiple rivers bearing the same name; in these cases the notation "(#)" indicates the number of rivers sharing the same name and the name-link should lead to a disambiguation page.List of rivers of Prince Edward Island
This is a list of rivers and creeks located on the island of Prince Edward Island.
Despite the fact that many are called rivers, their freshwater portions are not large enough to warrant this name. These watercourses are more correctly categorized as streams, with the majority of their length being tidal inlets or estuaries where the small amount of fresh water interchanges with salt water from the Gulf of St. Lawrence or Northumberland Strait.
Gulf of Saint Lawrence watershed
Big Pierre Jacques River
Cape Traverse River
Hillsborough (East) River
Little Pierre Jacques River
North (Yorke) River
St. Peters River
West (Elliot) River
Winter River, source of drinking water for CharlottetownList of state routes in Connecticut
The Connecticut Department of Transportation (ConnDOT) maintains a system of state highways to serve the predominant flow of traffic between towns within Connecticut, and to towns in surrounding states. State highways also include roads that provide access to federal and state facilities (Special Service Roads).
The state highway system consists of roads indicated on the official ConnDOT map and highway log. As of January 1, 2007, the state highway system contains a total of 3,719 miles (5,985 km) of roads (not including ramps and interchange connections), corresponding to approximately 20% of all roads in the state. All state highways are state-maintained except for several segments (totaling 4 miles) that are locally maintained. All interstate highways and U.S. highways in the state are part of the state highway system.
All state highways are given a number designation. Most state highways are assigned Route numbers (including U.S. highways and interstates). Route numbers are in the 1-399 range, with the exception of Interstates 684 and 691. State highways that are special service roads are assigned SSR numbers and are unsigned. SSR numbers are in the 400-499 range. Another set of unsigned state highways are called State Roads and are given SR numbers. These state roads are either feeder roads that interconnect state highways together, or long entry/exit ramps to freeways (often called connector roads). SR numbers are in the 500-999 range. Signposted state highways that are not U.S. highways or interstates are signed with the square Connecticut state highway shield.Llanidloes and Newtown Railway
The Llanidloes and Newtown Railway was an early Welsh railway, and the first to be built by David Davies, Llandinam. This line was unusual in that at neither terminus did it connect with any other railway, and the engines and carriages had to be carried on specially constructed wagons from Oswestry, 36 miles away.Newtown Bay
Newtown Bay is a bay on the northwestern coast of the Isle of Wight, England in the western arm of the Solent. It is a subtle bay located around the exit of the Newtown River. It stretches about 4 km from Hamstead Point in the west to Salt Mead Ledge to the east. It is a remote place as there are few properties along this part of the coast, it being low-lying marshland and home to countless sea birds, and is often visited by walkers, boaters, birdwatchers and beachcombers. The shore is a narrow band of gravel, while the sea bottom is mostly mud or sand.
To the east of the river entrance, sticking out into the bay, is a sand spit and further east another sailing hazard called Salt Mead Ledge both of these are only uncovered at low water. From here to Great Thorness to the east and Porchfield to the south, the land is used by the military and is marked on maps as a Danger Area. For this reason the Isle of Wight coastal path skirts this area.
A small peninsula into the bay holds Corf county campsite, itself an SSSI.
The National Trust owns much of the land and landing at Fishhouse point is not allowed during the nesting season, April to June.Quarr Abbey
Quarr Abbey (French: Abbaye Notre-Dame de Quarr) is a monastery between the villages of Binstead and Fishbourne on the Isle of Wight in southern England. The name is pronounced as "Kwor" (rhyming with "for"). It belongs to the Catholic Order of St Benedict.
The Grade I listed listed monastic buildings and church, completed in 1912, are considered some of the most important twentieth-century religious structures in the United Kingdom; Sir Nikolaus Pevsner described the Abbey as "among the most daring and successful church buildings of the early 20th century in England". They were constructed from Belgian brick in a style combining French, Byzantine and Moorish architectural elements. In the vicinity are a few remains of the original twelfth-century abbey.A community of fewer than a dozen monks maintains the monastery's regular life and the attached farm. As of 2013, the community provides two-month internships for young men.River Caul Bourne
The Caul Bourne is a stream on the Isle of Wight, England.
The stream is 3 miles (5 km) long from source to the start of the Newtown River Estuary just below Shalfleet. Its source is in an ornamental lake, near Winkle Street in Calbourne, from which it runs to the north (like most other rivers on the Isle of Wight) through Newbridge and Shalfleet. It is joined by several tributaries before flowing into the Solent via Newtown estuary, a Site of Special Scientific Interest.The river was subject to flooding in December 1993 when a longer than normal period of precipitation (over 8 hours of rainfall) led to four houses in Shalfleet suffering £36,000 of damage between them.Shalfleet
Shalfleet is a village and civil parish on the Isle of Wight. it is located between Yarmouth and Newport in the northwest of the island.Turnpike trusts
Turnpike trusts were bodies set up by individual acts of Parliament, with powers to collect road tolls for maintaining the principal roads in Britain from the 17th but especially during the 18th and 19th centuries. At the peak, in the 1830s, over 1,000 trusts administered around 30,000 miles (48,000 km) of turnpike road in England and Wales, taking tolls at almost 8,000 toll-gates and side-bars.During the early 19th century the concept of the turnpike trust was adopted and adapted to manage roads within the British Empire (Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, and South Africa) and in the United States.Turnpikes declined with the coming of the railways and then the Local Government Act 1888 gave responsibility for maintaining main roads to county councils and county borough councils.