Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts is a village of Newton, Massachusetts, on the Charles River. The commercial area extends across the river into Wellesley, Massachusetts, where it is known as Wellesley Lower Falls, where a majority of the retail businesses are.
The Charles River drops 18 feet over less than a quarter mile at Lower Falls. A series of three small dams with fish ladders are located along the drop. The primary roads through the village of Lower Falls are Grove Street, Washington Street (Route 16), and Concord Street. The area is now a suburban neighborhood centered on the park at the old Hamilton elementary school (now Lower Falls Community Center), and bordered on the northwest by the Charles River and the Leo J. Martin public golf course. The historic heart of the Lower Falls village, St. Mary's Episcopal Church, and the adjacent residential area on Grove Street, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Newton Lower Falls Historic District.
Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts
Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts
|Elevation||90 m (300 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
Arthur T. Gregorian, (1909 – January 14, 2003), was a Greater Boston oriental rug dealer and author of books on oriental rugs. He is considered by some to be the world's leading collector of rare, inscribed Armenian rugs.Auburndale, Massachusetts
Auburndale, known to longtime residents simply as "The Dale", is one of the 13 villages within the city of Newton, Massachusetts. It lies at the western end of Newton near the intersection of interstate highways 90 and 95. It is bisected by the Massachusetts Turnpike (Interstate 90). Auburndale is surrounded by three other Newton villages (West Newton, Waban, and Newton Lower Falls) as well as the city of Waltham and the Charles River. Auburndale is the home of Williams and Burr elementary schools, as well as Lasell College. Auburndale Square is the location of the Plummer Memorial Library, which is run by the Auburndale Community Library and no longer affiliated with the Newton Free Library, the Turtle Lane Playhouse, and many small businesses.Boston and Albany Railroad
The Boston and Albany Railroad (reporting mark B&A) was a railroad connecting Boston, Massachusetts to Albany, New York, later becoming part of the New York Central Railroad system, Conrail, and CSX Transportation. The line is currently used by CSX for freight. Passenger service is still operated on the line by Amtrak (as part of their Lake Shore Limited service), and by the MBTA Commuter Rail system, which owns and uses the section east of Worcester as their Framingham/Worcester Line.Charles Rice (general)
Charles Rice (December 26, 1787 – November 20, 1863) was a brigadier general in the Massachusetts Militia, a selectman in Needham, a justice of the peace and a member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives.Highland Branch
The Highland Branch, also known as the Newton Highlands Branch, was a suburban railway line in Boston, Massachusetts. It was opened by the Boston and Albany Railroad in 1886 to serve the growing community of Newton, Massachusetts. The line was closed in 1958 and sold to the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA), which reopened it in 1959 as a light rail line, now known as the D Branch of the Green Line.
The first section of what became the Highland Branch was built by the Boston and Worcester Railroad between Boston and Brookline in 1848. The Charles River Branch Railroad, a forerunner of the New York and New England Railroad, extended the line to Newton Upper Falls in 1852. The B&A bought the line in 1883 and extended to Riverside, rejoining its main line there. The MTA electrified the line when it rebuilt it for light rail use.
The conversion of the Highland Branch into a light rail line was pioneering in several ways. Amid a backdrop of failing private passenger service in the United States, it was the first time a government entity in that country had assumed full responsibility for losses on a route. It was also the only example of converting an extant commuter rail line to light rail use.John Hanson Twombly
John Hanson Twombly was a Methodist minister and the fourth president of the University of Wisconsin. He was known as an advocate for co-education and women's education, which led to tensions with the university regents and, ultimately, his ouster.John McDermott (runner)
John J. ("J.J.", "little Mac") McDermott (born October 16, 1874) was an Irish-American athlete, born in Manhattan, New York City to James McDermott and Lizzie Grady. He won the first marathon run in the United States in 1896, as well as the inaugural Boston Marathon, then known as the B.A.A. Road Race, in 1897. He was a lithographer by trade.McDermott lost his mother at the age of eleven. He was unusually frail and light as a youth. At the start of the first Boston Marathon he weighed in at 124 pounds (56 kg) on a 5-foot-6-inch (168 cm) frame, slight even by marathoner standards.He reportedly died either from consumption (tuberculosis) or from an inherited pulmonary disease sometime before 1906. One source states that he had tuberculosis when he won the Boston Marathon in 1897. His sister Julia died of tuberculosis in 1905.Little is known of McDermott's life outside of his running accomplishments.Lewis Golding Arnold
Lewis Golding Arnold (January 15, 1817 – September 22, 1871) was a career U.S. Army officer and a brigadier general in the Union Army during the American Civil War, primarily noted for his service in Florida.National Register of Historic Places listings in Newton, Massachusetts
List of Registered Historic Places in Newton, Massachusetts was transferred from List of Registered Historic Places in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, and is an integral part of that list—which in turn is an integral part of List of National Register of Historic Places entries. There are over 180 places listed in Newton.
This list is sortable by village. The 13 villages are:
Newton Centre (spelled Newton Center by the MBTA, but not by the city)
Newton Lower Falls
Newton Upper Falls
West NewtonThis National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted July 12, 2019.Newton Lower Falls Branch
The Newton Lower Falls Branch was a branch of the Boston and Albany Railroad, running from Newton to Lower Falls in Wellesley. It opened in 1847, and passenger service ended in 1957. The line branched off at Riverside station (not the present Green Line station but a mainline rail station) and ran for a distance of approximately one mile to Lower Falls. The line originally served the mill area at Newton Lower Falls and later the Grossman's Lumber Yard. The last freight train served the line in 1972 and the rails were removed in 1976, but it was never formally abandoned.Newton Lower Falls Historic District
The Newton Lower Falls Historic District encompasses the historic colonial village center of Newton Lower Falls, on the west side of Newton, Massachusetts. This area lies north of Washington Street, along Concord and Grove Streets, between Washington and Hagar Streets. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.The "lower falls" of the Charles River were an important geographic even before colonial days, because a Native American path traversed the area (roughly along the Washington Street alignment). In the 17th century the waterpower of the falls was already being harnessed by English colonists for the operation of gristmills and sawmills. Permanent residency on the Newton side of the river did not begin until the early 18th century, when an iron works was established. The oldest surviving house in the area is at 2345 Washington Street, built c. 1755. The residential portion of the village developed on the rise above the river, where St. Mary's Episcopal Church was built c. 1813; it is separately listed on the National Register. Adjacent to the church, a number of Greek Revival houses were built on Grove Street during the 1830s and 1840s, the height of the area's economically significant paper industry. The last significant construction in the district was the hose house (fire station) at 677 Grove Street in 1900.The historic portion of the village, once much larger, suffered a significant decline in the 20th century. Fashionable houses belonging to mill owners were demolished, as were more modest residences of mill workers, in some cases to make way for the construction of nearby Massachusetts Route 128. This intrusion also resulted in the destruction of a church and schools.Sarah Fuller
Sarah Fuller (February 15, 1836 – August 1, 1927) was an
SilverPlatter Information, Inc. was one of the first companies to produce commercial reference databases on CD-ROMs. It was founded in 1983 in the United Kingdom by Béla Hatvany and Walt Winshall with the explicit intention of using CD technology to publish data, and thus provide an alternative to searching databases in magnetic tape format. Ron Rietdyk was the company's first President. The firm was started in 1986 from a small building in Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts.
The company began experimenting with four databases: ERIC, LISA, PsycLIT, and EMBASE. In 1987 the company had 12 databases and revenues of approximately $6m. Competing with CD Plus (now Ovid Technologies), Aries, Cambridge Scientific Abstracts and Dialog, the company offered libraries a wide range of CD-ROMs. Over the next few years the company expanded from its academic base into medical, business and health and safety CD publishing.In 1989 the firm launched MultiPlatter, a system for networking CD-ROMs across local area network. In 1991, it introduced searching the data held at the company's site by ERL (the electronic reference library), a system for providing hard disk access to its databases via the DXP protocol. This last proved successful with more than 500 sites using the firm's technology by 1997. In that year the company had grown to $75m in revenues and had over 250 databases.In 2001, SilverPlatter was sold to Wolters Kluwer at a reputed price of $113m, and now forms part of Ovid Technologies, the Wolters Kluwer subsidiary.St. Mary's Church and Cemetery
St. Mary's Church and Cemetery may refer to:
in the United StatesSt. Mary's Episcopal Church (Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts), listed on the NRHP as St. Mary's Church and Cemetery
St. Mary's Church and Cemetery (Crompton, Rhode Island), listed on the NRHP in Rhode IslandSt. Mary's Episcopal Church (Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts)
St. Mary's Episcopal Church and Cemetery is a historic church and cemetery at 258 Concord Street, in the village of Newton Lower Falls, Newton, Massachusetts. St. Mary's Parish was formed in 1811. The church, built in 1813–14 and restyled in 1838, is the oldest church in Newton, and is a fine example of Gothic Revival/Federal style architecture. The cemetery, which dates from 1812, is the oldest non-government-owned cemetery in Newton. The property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.Warren F. Daniell
Warren Fisher Daniell (June 26, 1826 – July 30, 1913) was an American politician and a U.S. Representative from New Hampshire. He was also a manufacturer, stock breeder, and banker.West Newton, Massachusetts
West Newton is a village of the City of Newton, Massachusetts and is one of the oldest of the thirteen Newton villages. The West Newton Village Center is a National Register Historic District. The postal ("Zip") code 02465 roughly matches the village limits.William Curtis House (Newton, Massachusetts)
The William Curtis House is a historic house located at 2330 Washington Street in the Newton Lower Falls village of Newton, Massachusetts.