Newport railway station was established in 1862 with the opening of the Cowes and Newport Railway. It was enlarged in December 1875 when the lines to Ryde and Ventnor were opened. The station was also used by the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway from its opening in 1888 until 1913, when that company opened its own station nearby. Upon the formation of the Southern Railway in 1923 reverted to using this station. The station was closed by British Railways in 1966. It was then used as a base for the Wight Locomotive Society until January 1971, when it was demolished.
Railway Station, Newport, Isle of Wight. Shortly before it was demolished, to make way for a new bypass. O2 class No 24 Calbourne awaits restoration
|Area||Isle of Wight|
|Pre-grouping||Cowes and Newport Railway (1862–1887), Ryde and Newport railway (1875–1887), Isle of Wight and Newport Junction Railway (1879–1887), Isle of Wight Central Railway (1887–1923)|
|Post-grouping||Southern Railway (1923 to 1948) |
Southern Region of British Railways (1948 to 1966)
|16 June 1862||Opened|
|21 February 1966||Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
Newport railway station was a pivotal station within the unique railway network on the Isle of Wight, that began in 1862 when the Cowes and Newport Railway opened for business. Situated in the centre of the town. The station was enlarged in 1875 with the opening of the Ryde and Newport Railway in December 1875, which also connected the station to Ventnor. Traffic was also increased with the opening of the branch to Sandown in 1879, by the Isle of Wight (Newport Junction) Railway. In July 1887 The Cowes and Newport Railway, the Ryde and Newport Railway, and the Isle of Wight (Newport Junction) Railway were merged to form the Isle of Wight Central Railway (IWCR).
A major employer on the island, it was noted for its busy and purposeful camaraderie. Closed in 1966, the station served as a base for the Wight Locomotive Society until January 1971, when the site was demolished by scrap merchants. The station site is now built over with much of it now lost under the A3054, Medina Way.
The trains of the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport Railway's terminated at the IWCR station from the opening of that line in 1888 until 1913, when a separate FYN station opened nearby. However, upon the formation of the Southern Railway, all trains to Newport reverted to using the IWCR station.
The Ryde and Newport Railway opened a wooden engine shed, with coaling and watering facilities on the eastern side of Newport station on 20 December 1875 The Freshwater Yarmouth and Newport Railway also opened a small shed close to the site of Newport Priory, but this was closed upon the formation of the Southern Railway.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
IoW CR : Newport to Sandown line
IoW CR : Newport to Cowes line
|Cement Mills Halt|
IoW CR : Newport to Smallbrook Junction line
FYNR : Newport[note 1] to Freshwater line
Disused railway stations on the Isle of Wight