Newport Pagnell is a town in Buckinghamshire, England. In the Borough of Milton Keynes, it is separated from Milton Keynes itself by the M1 motorway, on which is Newport Pagnell services. The Office for National Statistics records Newport Pagnell as part of the Milton Keynes urban area.
|Population||15,118 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||NEWPORT PAGNELL|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
The town was first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Neuport, Old English for "New Market Town", but by that time the old Anglo-Saxon town was dominated by the Norman invaders. The suffix "Pagnell" came later when the manor passed into the hands of the Pagnell (Paynel) family. It was the principal town of the "Three Hundreds of Newport", a district that had almost the same boundary as the modern Borough.
At one time, Newport Pagnell was one of the largest towns in the County of Buckinghamshire (the assizes of the County were occasionally held there) though today, despite its own substantial expansion, it has been completely dwarfed by the growth of Milton Keynes. There were also at one time two hospitals in Newport Pagnell and six fairs were held for the townsfolk throughout the year.
Newport Pagnell became the headquarters of Newport Pagnell Rural District under the Local Government Act 1894. In 1897, Newport Pagnell became the sole civil parish comprising the newly created Newport Pagnell Urban District.
The Grade I listed Tickford Bridge, over the River Ouzel (or Lovat), was built in 1810. It is one of just a few cast iron bridges in Britain that still carry modern road traffic. There is a plaque near the footbridge at the side that gives details of its history and construction placed there by Newport Pagnell Historical Society. The Ouzel joins the Great Ouse nearby and a large set of sluice gates, used to control downstream flooding, is located near the bridge.
Between 1817 and 1864, the town was linked to the Grand Junction Canal at Great Linford via the Newport Pagnell Canal. In 1862, the canal owners sold the route to the London and North Western Railway. For a hundred years (1867 to 1967), Newport Pagnell was served by Newport Pagnell railway station, the terminus on the Wolverton to Newport Pagnell branch line.
From 1954 until 2007, the town was the home to the prestigious sports car manufacturer Aston Martin. The Newport Pagnell factory was considered outdated and a new production facility was built near Gaydon, in Warwickshire. There is still a service facility in Newport Pagnell, but the factory on the north side of Tickford St has since been demolished apart from the engine shop, board room and offices that are listed buildings. The land behind these has been purchased by Tesco and the supermarket giant had planned to build an outlet on the site, preserving the original remaining buildings for use by the townspeople: as of May 2019, this plan remains on the drawing board. In 2012, Aston Martin completely modernised the service facility and the site also houses a bespoke sales department.
Although Newport Pagnell was excluded from the 1967 designated area of Milton Keynes, its growth has been at a similar level to that of the constituent towns of the latter; the two now join at the M1 and there no other practical distinction between them. The Office for National Statistics records Newport Pagnell as part of the Milton Keynes Urban Area. Its population in 1971 was 6,000: by 2001 it had reached 15,020, In 2006, the Borough Council projected that the population will remain broadly stable at this level. However, in its comments on the expansion plans for Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire County Council challenged this assumption, calling for any further expansion to be to the east of the M1 rather than south across the border into Aylesbury Vale. At the 2011 census, the population had reached 15,118.
Newport Pagnell has a Non-League football team Newport Pagnell Town F.C., nicknamed the Swans, who play at The Pavilion on Willen Road. An ITF Taekwon-Do club Kicks Taekwon-Do Academy, who train out of Cedars Primary School, Bury Street, and a swimming pool.
The 2019 Milton Keynes Council election took place on 2 May 2019 to elect members of Milton Keynes Council in England. This election was held on the same day as other local elections.A509 road
The A509 is a short A-class road (around 30 miles (48 km) long) for north-south journeys in south central England, forming the route from Kettering in Northamptonshire to the M1 and A5 in Milton Keynes.
From north to south, the road begins at Wicksteed Park in the outskirts of Kettering. It then crosses the A14 (where it becomes a primary route) and goes through Isham and Great Harrowden. After this it goes on to form the Wellingborough western bypass before leaving Northamptonshire to cross into the Borough of Milton Keynes (ceremonial Buckinghamshire). From there, it crosses the A428 at a roundabout and cuts through the centre of Olney. South of Olney the road passes Emberton, meeting the A422 just east of Newport Pagnell, where the routes multiplex to form the Newport Pagnell eastern bypass. South of Newport Pagnell, the routes diverge at a roundabout with the A509 turning south and the A422 continuing westbound. Here the A509 is a single carriageway once more until it crosses the M1 at Junction 14, where it enters Milton Keynes proper and multiplexes for a short distance with the A4146 (on separating, the latter takes over the 'primary route' designation and the A509 loses it). Once more a dual carriageway, it runs for a further 4 miles (6.4 km) past the edge of Central Milton Keynes (the central business district) and the Network Rail National Centre ('Quadrant:MK'), to link up finally with the A5. Through Milton Keynes the road is known as the H5 Portway.Bradwell railway station
Bradwell railway station was a railway station on the Wolverton–Newport Pagnell line. It served both Bradwell and the new village of New Bradwell in Buckinghamshire. The station, which consisted of a brick-built station building, and single platform, opened to traffic in 1867.
The last passenger train ran on 5 September 1964 but freight trains continued to pass through until May 1967. The station building was demolished although the platform remains intact. The trackbed through the station has been converted into a shared path (footpath/cycle way), forming part of the Milton Keynes redway system.Broughton, Milton Keynes
Broughton (, BRAW-tən) is a historic village in North Buckinghamshire that has been a constituent element of Milton Keynes since the latter's designation in 1967; a civil parish; and modernly a suburb and large new district of the 'city'.Charles Sanford Terry (historian)
Charles Sanford Terry (24 October 1864, Newport Pagnell – 5 November 1936, Aberdeen) was an English historian and musicologist who published extensively on Scottish and European history as well as the life and works of J. S. Bach.Chicheley
Chicheley is a village and civil parish in the borough of Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. The village is about 2.5 miles (4 km) north-east of Newport Pagnell.
The village name is Anglo-Saxon in origin, and means Cicca's clearing. In the Domesday Book of 1086, the village was recorded as Cicelai.The manor of Chicheley (which some suggest may have once been called Thickthorn) anciently belonged to the Pagnell family of Newport Pagnell, but was given by them to the church. Through this connection the village also at one time belonged to Cardinal Wolsey, though only until his forced resignation by King Henry VIII who took all his possessions from him at that time.
During the English Civil War, the manor, belonging to the Chester family, received some considerable damage, associated as it was with the garrison at Newport Pagnell. Following the civil war, the manor was demolished, and the present Chicheley Hall built on the site. All that remains of the old manor today is one Jacobean over-mantel with termini caryatids, and some panelling in the 'new' Chicheley Hall.
The parish church is dedicated to St Lawrence and has a perpendicular style central tower with large windows. The chancel, which contains a fine plaster depicting floral wreaths in relief, and a stone reredos, was rebuilt c. 1708; however, the church dates from the 14th century. In the nave are raised box pews, giving a theatrical air. The church contains monuments to Anthony Cave. Cave's sarcophagus is a cadaver tomb. Other monuments dating from 1635 are to the Chester family of Chicheley Hall.Chris Horsman
Chris Horsman (born 2 February 1977 in Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, England) is a former Wales international rugby union player.Gordon Moakes
Gordon Peter Moakes is an English musician, best known as the bassist of rock band Young Legionnaire and former member of indie rock band Bloc Party.John Harley (bishop, died 1558)
John Harley (died 1558) was an English bishop of Hereford. A strong Protestant, he was praised in verse by John Leland.Newport Pagnell Canal
The Newport Pagnell Canal was a 1.25 mile canal that ran from the Grand Junction Canal at Great Linford to Newport Pagnell through seven locks. Construction was authorised by an Act of Parliament in June 1814 and it probably opened in 1817. It closed in 1864, with part of the route used for the line of a railway.Newport Pagnell Rural District
Newport Pagnell was a rural district in the administrative county of Buckinghamshire, England, from 1894 to 1974. The rural district took over the responsibilities of the disbanded Newport Pagnell Rural Sanitary District. It was named after Newport Pagnell but from 1897 did not include the town as the new authority of Newport Pagnell Urban District had been created to which the town was assigned.
In 1895 the towns of Bletchley and Fenny Stratford and the parish of Simpson were transferred to the new urban district of Fenny Stratford.
In April 1974 Newport Pagnell RD was disbanded by order of the Local Government Act 1972. The parishes became part of the borough of Milton Keynes.Newport Pagnell Town F.C.
Newport Pagnell Town Football Club is a football club based at Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire in England. They are currently members of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division and play at Willen Road.Newport Pagnell Urban District
Newport Pagnell Urban District was a local government authority in the administrative county of Buckinghamshire, England, from 1897 to 1974.
The urban district comprised the civil parish and town of Newport Pagnell which between 1894 and 1897 had been part of Newport Pagnell Rural District. The Local Government Act 1972 made it part of the borough of Milton Keynes.Newport Pagnell railway station
Newport Pagnell railway station was a railway station that served Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, on the Wolverton–Newport Pagnell line. Opened in 1867 the station consisted of a brick built station building, and extensive goods facilities.
The last passenger train ran on 6 September 1964 and the last goods train on 22 May 1967. The station site is now under Shepherd's Close, a modern residential development.Newport Pagnell services
Newport Pagnell Services is a motorway service station between junctions 14 and 15 of the M1 motorway near Newport Pagnell and Milton Keynes in north Buckinghamshire. It is owned and operated by Welcome Break.Ousedale School
Ousedale School, is an academy based in Newport Pagnell, Buckinghamshire, England was opened in 1963 to serve the community of Newport Pagnell and its surrounding villages. A second campus in Olney opened in 2007 to serve students from the north of the Borough of Milton Keynes.River Ouzel
The River Ouzel , also known as the River Lovat, is a river in England, and a tributary of the River Great Ouse. It rises in the Chiltern Hills and flows 20 miles north to join the Ouse at Newport Pagnell.
It is usually called the River Ouzel, except near Newport Pagnell where both names are used. The name Lovat was recorded (in the form "Lovente") in the thirteenth century, a map of 1724 marks the river as "Lowsel R", and a map surveyed in 1765 shows it as "Ouzel River". The modern Ordnance Survey uses only the name Ouzel, except north of Willen Lake where it is marked as "River Ouzel or Lovat".Wolverton railway station
Wolverton railway station serves northern Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, especially Wolverton, Stony Stratford, New Bradwell, and nearby villages in south Northamptonshire. The station is on the West Coast Main Line, about 52 miles (84 km) from Euston, between Milton Keynes Central and Northampton. The station is one of the six stations serving the Milton Keynes urban area.The station has four platforms, of which just two (3 and 4) are normally in use.Wolverton–Newport Pagnell line
The Wolverton–Newport Pagnell line was a railway branch line in Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom running from Wolverton on the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) (today's West Coast Main Line) to Newport Pagnell. The line fully opened to passengers in 1867. An extension to Olney was planned in 1865, but this scheme was abandoned after partial construction. Earthworks along the route of the extension still exist in Bury Field (Newport Pagnell), and plaques exist detailing the history of the failed project.
Competition from road traffic starting in the early twentieth century put pressure on the railway, and it was later a victim of the Beeching cuts. The line was seen as unprofitable, and it closed to passengers in 1964, and to goods traffic in 1967. Part of the trackbed today provides a section of the Milton Keynes redway system.
|Boroughs or districts|
River Great Ouse, England
(upstream to downstream)
|Major tributaries |
(upstream to downstream by confluence)
|Major bridges |
(upstream to downstream)