Newchurch is a village and civil parish on the Isle of Wight. It is located between Sandown and Newport in the southeast of the island. Anthony Dillington, owner of the Knighton Gorges Manor in Newchurch wrote to his son Robert in 1574 that, "This is the very Garden of England, and we be privileged to work in it as Husbandmen......." Newchurch obtained its name from the new church built in 1087 by the Norman monks of Lyra. The Newchurch Parish for many centuries stretched from the north to south coasts of the Island; by the early Nineteenth Century the growing resort towns of Ventnor and Ryde were included within its boundaries. The present day parish includes Newchurch Village, Apse Heath, Winford, Whiteley Bank, Alverstone, Alverstone Garden Village, Queen's Bower, Princelett and Mersley.
Public transport is provided by Wightbus bus route 23, operating between Newport and Shanklin. The Sustrans route 23 cycle route also runs through the village at the bottom of the Shute, allowing easy access to Cowes, Newport and Sandown. Between 1875 and 1956 Newchurch had the advantage of a railway station. There is a pub called "The Pointer Inn" and a sub-post office.
Newchurch All Saints Church & Pointer Inn
|Area||16.0233 km2 (6.1866 sq mi) |
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Isle of Wight|
|Ambulance||Isle of Wight|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
The 1997 Birthday Honours were announced on 14 June 1997 for the United Kingdom and on 2 June 1997 for New Zealand. Queen's Birthday Honours are announced on or around the date of the Queen's Official Birthday in the United Kingdom and some Commonwealth countries. The dates vary, both from year to year and from country to country. All are published in supplements to the London Gazette and many are conferred by the monarch (or her representative) some time after the date of the announcement, particularly for those service people on active duty.
Recipients of honours are shown below as they were styled before their new honour.2008 Birthday Honours
The Queen's Birthday Honours 2008 were appointments by some of the 16 Commonwealth realms to various orders and honours to recognise and reward good works by citizens of those countries. The Birthday Honours are awarded as part of the Queen's Official Birthday celebrations during the month of June.
They were announced on 14 June 2008 in the United Kingdom, on 9 June 2008 in Australia, on 2 June 2008 in New Zealand, and on 14 June 2008 in Barbados, The Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Saint Lucia, and Belize.The recipients of honours are displayed as they were styled before their new honour and arranged by the country (in order of precedence) whose ministers advised The Queen on the appointments, then by honour with grades i.e. Knight/Dame Grand Cross, Knight/Dame Commander etc. and then divisions i.e. Civil, Diplomatic and Military as appropriate.All Saints' Church, Newchurch
All Saints' Church, Newchurch is a parish church in the Church of England located in Newchurch, Isle of Wight, England. The church is medieval dating from the 13th century. In 1883, restoration of the church was carried out by A.R. Barker, at the instigation of the vicar Rev. Alfred Dicker.The simple layout of the church consists of a nave, a chancel, northern and southern aisles, and a tower. It was built on the site of an older structure which was donated by William FitzOsbern to the Lyre Abbey. Subsequently, the church came under the control of the Beaulieu Abbey. When this religious authority was dissolved, the control of the church was entrusted by Henry VIII to the Bishop of Bristol (now Gloucester and Bristol).The church was one of the seven parishes on the Island when it was built, but now is part of several others. The unique white timber clad tower contains a small peal of six bells with a tenor weighing just 7 cwt or 350 kg.Alverstone Garden Village
Alverstone Garden Village is a housing estate built between the 1930s and the 1970s; entirely contained within Youngwoods Copse, and thus almost invisible from the older hamlet of Alverstone. At the 2011 Census the Post Office indicated that the population was included in the civil parish of Newchurch, Isle of Wight.
Transport is provided by Wightbus route 23, which runs through the estate on its way between Newport and Shanklin.Apse Heath
Apse Heath is a hamlet on the Isle of Wight, UK. Apse Heath is centered on the intersection of Newport Road and Alverstone Road. At the 2011 Census the Post Office said the population of the hamlet was included in the civil parish of Newchurch, Isle of Wight.
It is northeast of Whiteley Bank and south of Winford. Apse Heath is bordered by the leafy villages of Alverstone and Queen's Bower, and is surrounded by areas of woodland and agricultural land. It also sits roughly 2 miles east of the village of Newchurch, and 1 mile west of Lake.
The word "apse" in the local dialect means an aspen tree, or Populus tremula. Thus, Apse Heath refers to a Heath (small moor) populated by Aspens.
Apse Heath Methodist Church has a congregation of 11 to 15 that meets every Sunday to worship. The church was founded in 1875 by the Bryanites or Bible Christians. The cornerstone of the present chapel was laid by Lord Alverstone, on 10 September 1902. Electric lights were installed in the church and hall in 1956.Apse Heath has a shop, called "Raj's Premier Stores", some other businesses and a post office.
The Hamlet has gained some popularity over pranksters and their efforts to alter the sign with marker pens or electrical tape, changing the 'P' in 'APSE' to an 'R', thus editing the sign to read 'ARSE HEATH'. Although Island Roads tends to hastily clean the sign down and remove the damage, the sign is rarely ever clean for long, much to the amusement of both schoolchildren from the hamlet and the neighbouring village of Lake and tourists alike.
On 12 January 2006, two horses were injured in a fire in some stables in Apse Heath. On 5 August 2007, a small plane crashed, briefly after taking off from Isle of Wight Airport in Sandown in Lake,next to Apse Heath, killing all 4 passengers.Apse Heath was the site of brickmaking operations in the past. It was also the site of a sweet factory, which employed a number of local people until it closed down.
Transport is provided by Southern Vectis route 8, which runs through the hamlet between Newport, Sandown, Bembridge and Ryde.Auckland Colvin
Sir Auckland Colvin (1838–1908) was a colonial administrator in India and Egypt, born into the Anglo-Indian Colvin family. He was comptroller general in Egypt (1880–2), and financial adviser to the Khedive (1883–87). From 1883–92 he was back in India, first as financial member of council, and then as Lieutenant-governor of the North-West Provinces (as his father had been) and Oudh. He founded Colvin Taluqdars' College in Lucknow.Borthwood
Borthwood is a hamlet on the Isle of Wight, adjacent to Borthwood Copse, the National Trust woodland. Borthwood includes some holiday cottages and a pet kennel. At the 2011 Census the Post Office specified that the population of the hamlet was included in the civil parish of Newchurch, Isle of Wight.
Borthwood was the site of brickmaking operations in the past.Francis Webber
Francis Webber (20 October 1708 in Honiton – 29 September 1771 in Hereford) was an Anglican priest in the mid18th Century.Webber was educated at Exeter College, Oxford.
He held livings at Merton,Burford, Oxford, Newchurch, Isle of Wight and Menheniot. He was Dean of Hereford from 1756 until his death.Newchurch
Newchurch is the name of several places in the United Kingdom:
Newchurch, Blaenau Gwent, Wales
Newchurch, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Newchurch, Herefordshire, England
Newchurch, Isle of Wight, England
Newchurch, Kent, England
Newchurch, Lancashire, England
Newchurch, Monmouthshire, Wales
Newchurch, Powys, Wales
Newchurch, Staffordshire, England
Newchurch in Pendle, LancashireNewchurch railway station
Newchurch railway station, was an intermediate station situated on the edge of Newchurch village on the line from Newport to Sandown incorporated by the Isle of Wight (Newport Junction) Railway in 1868, opened in 1875 and closed 81 years later. Despite its rural location a "respectable" number of families alighted at the simple station, "little more than a wooden hut". The nearest location to the site is a bungalow, Newchurch Crossing.Queen's Bower
Queen's Bower (or Queen Bower) is a large village on the Isle of Wight, England that has effectively merged with Winford and Apse Heath. It is classed as part of Sandown, with the postcode PO36. It is in the civil parish of Newchurch, Isle of Wight. Transport is provided by Southern Vectis bus route 8 to Sandown, which stops at Hairpin Bend on Alverstone Road once every hour throughout the day, which is right on the perimeter of Borthwood Copse.
It lies to the north of Borthwood, a National Trust property, and gets its name from a hunting lodge for hunting deer in Borthwood, owned in the 13th century either by Isabella de Fortibus — last "Queen" of the Isle of Wight, or King Edward I's queen after he took over the Island. Although somewhere along the line between then and the present, the name has become lost in translation as it is believed to have been originally known as 'Queen Dower' as the land was passed down to her.
The only commercial property in the area is the Queen Bower Dairy which is also a caravan park. The National Trust site of Borthwood Copse, which was originally a royal hunting ground is nearby. The area is also home to the 'Isle of Wight Cheese Company' which gets its milk from the dairy farm.
Alongside Alverstone and other nearby settlements, Queen's Bower is one of the locations on the Isle of Wight where Red squirrels can often be found.Sir Robert Dillington, 1st Baronet
Sir Robert Dillington, 1st Baronet (ca. 1575–1664) was an English aristocrat of the Dillington baronets, grandfather to Sir Robert Dillington, 2nd Baronet.
He succeeded his father in 1593/1594 and resided for many years at the traditional Dillington residence at Knighton Gorges Manor, Knighton, Newchurch, Isle of Wight before buying the Great Budbridge Manor in the Isle of Wight in 1633. He was created a baronet on 6 September 1628 and became a Member of Parliament for Isle of Wight in 1654–1655.He died in 1664.Villainville
Villainville is a commune in the Seine-Maritime department in the Normandy region in northern France.
Isle of Wight Portal
Settlements on the Isle of Wight