Newburyport is a small coastal, scenic, and historic city in Essex County, Massachusetts, United States, 35 miles (56 km) northeast of Boston. The population was 17,416 at the 2010 census. A historic seaport with a vibrant tourism industry, Newburyport includes part of Plum Island. The mooring, winter storage and maintenance of recreational boats, motor and sail, still contribute a large part of the city's income. A Coast Guard station oversees boating activity, especially in the sometimes dangerous tidal currents of the Merrimack River.
At the edge of the Newbury Marshes, delineating Newburyport to the south, an industrial park provides a wide range of jobs. Newburyport is on a major north-south highway, Interstate 95. The outer circumferential highway of Boston, Interstate 495, passes nearby in Amesbury. The Newburyport Turnpike (U.S. Route 1) still traverses Newburyport on its way north. The Newburyport/Rockport MBTA commuter rail from Boston's North Station terminates in Newburyport. The earlier Boston and Maine Railroad leading farther north was discontinued, but a portion of it has been converted into a recreation trail.
Location in the United States
|Incorporated as a town||1764|
|Incorporated as a city||1851|
|• Type||Mayor-council city|
|• Mayor||Donna D. Holaday (D)|
|• Total||10.6 sq mi (27.4 km2)|
|• Land||8.4 sq mi (21.7 km2)|
|• Water||2.2 sq mi (5.7 km2)|
|Elevation||37 ft (11 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,600/sq mi (640/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (Eastern)|
|Area code(s)||351 / 978|
|GNIS feature ID||0614293|
Newburyport was settled in 1635 as part of Newberry Plantation, now Newbury. On January 28, 1764, the General Court of Massachusetts passed "An act for erecting part of the town of Newbury into a new town by the name of Newburyport." The act begins:
Whereas the town of Newbury is very large, and the inhabitants of that part of it who dwell by the water-side there, as it is commonly called, are mostly merchants, traders and artificers, and the inhabitants of the other parts of the town are chiefly husbandmen; by means whereof many difficulties and disputes have arisen in managing their public affairs – Be it enacted ... That that part of the said town of Newbury ... be and hereby are constituted and made a separate and distinct town ....
The act was approved by Governor Francis Bernard on February 4, 1764. The new town was the smallest in Massachusetts, covering an area of 647 acres (2.62 km2), and had a population of 2,800 living in 357 homes. There were three shipyards, no bridges, and several ferries, one of which at the foot of Greenleaf Lane, now State Street, carried the Portsmouth Flying Stage Coach, running between Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and Boston.
The town prospered and became a city in 1851. Situated near the mouth of the Merrimack River, it was once a fishing, shipbuilding and shipping center, with an industry in silverware manufacture. In 1792, a bridge was built two miles above the town where the river contained an island. Merrimack Arms and Brown Manufacturing Company made Southerner Derringer pistols in their Newburyport factory from 1867 to 1873. The captains of old Newburyport (as elsewhere in Massachusetts) had participated vigorously in the triangular trade, importing West Indian molasses and exporting rum made from it. The distilleries were located around Market Square near the waterfront. Caldwell's Old Newburyport rum was manufactured locally until well into the 19th century.
Although the purchase of slaves in Massachusetts was illegal, ownership of slaves purchased elsewhere was not; consequently the fine homes on High Street were staffed by African and Native American slaves until the newly independent General Court of Massachusetts abolished slavery altogether in the Revolutionary War.
Newburyport prior to the Civil War had always been divided over slavery. While many of its leading citizens profited from and defended slavery, it also had been a frequent topic of pulpit rhetoric. After the Revolutionary War, abolitionism took a firm hold, Newburyport included. Several citizens are recognized by the National Park Service for their contributions to the Underground Railroad. The abolitionist movement reached a peak with the activities of William Lloyd Garrison, who was born in Newburyport and helped develop an anti-slavery climate. In 1841, Garrison was imprisoned on charges of libel for accusing Newburyport shipowner Francis Todd and captain Nicholas Brown of transporting 44 African captives in chains. His statue stands in Brown Square, which was the scene of abolitionist meetings.
Newburyport once had a fishing fleet that operated from Georges Bank to the mouth of the Merrimack River. It was a center for privateering during the Revolutionary War and War of 1812. Beginning about 1832, it added numerous ships to the whaling fleet. Later, clipper ships were built there. Today, the city gives little hint of its former maritime importance. Notably missing are the docks, which are shown on earlier maps extending into the channel of the Merrimack River, and the shipyards, where the waterfront parking lot is currently located.
George Whitefield, the well-known and influential English preacher who helped inspire the First Great Awakening in America, arrived in Newburyport in September 1740. The revival that followed his labors, brought into existence Old South Church, where he was buried after his death in 1770.
The city's historical highlights include:
Historic houses and museums:
Despite its former prosperity, in the 1950s and 1960s Newburyport's center fell into disrepair because of several factors, most notably strip malls taking away from local business and increased use of the automobile. At this time, construction of major highways brought larger cities such as Lawrence and Lowell into shopping range. Consequently, by 1970 Newburyport's historic downtown section was scheduled to be razed prior to reconstruction with federal money. Ideas to rebuild the city's downtown were numerous, ranging from hotels and new stores to, ironically, a strip mall, with few buildings left for historical reasons. At the last moment, however, the city changed its mind and signed a federal grant that allowed it to keep most of its historic architecture. Renovation and restorations began during the early 1970s, and continued throughout most of the decade, initially along State Street, and culminating with creation of a pedestrian mall along Inn Street. Newburyport is often cited as an example by preservationists of how to maintain a city's architecture and heritage, while still having it remain functional and liveable.
Newburyport is located at  According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 10.6 square miles (27 km2), of which 8.4 square miles (22 km2) is land and 2.2 square miles (5.7 km2) (20.77%) is water.(42.812391, −70.877440).
The city is part of Massachusetts' North Shore; Newburyport was laid out on the elevated south bank of the Merrimack River between the river and Newbury marshes. The shipyards, now boatyards (and still vigorously active), extended along the bank at the edge of the river. They were connected by Merrimac Street, which ends upriver where the bank merges into bluffs covered with pine forest. Colonial residences extend up the bank from Merrimac Street to High Street running parallel to it near the top of the ridge. The homes of the seafaring entrepreneurs line High Street. Many feature widow's walks, structures on the roof where the residents could watch for the return of sailing vessels. Nearly every home maintains a splendid flower garden, most dating to colonial times. Various cross streets, such as State Street, Green Street and Market Street, connect Merrimac Street and High Street. The top of the ridge proved an ideal location for later institutions, such as Newburyport High School and nearby Anna Jaques Hospital. The ridge drops more sharply to the marsh on the other side. Along its margin a third parallel street developed, Low Street.
The river bank gradually descends to marshes at Joppa Flats beyond downtown Newburyport. The Plum Island Turnpike was pushed out over the marsh on a causeway to a narrow part of the Plum Island River just to the south of where it connects to the mouth of the Merrimack. A drawbridge was built there, the only access to the island by road. On the Newburyport side a small airport, Plum Island Airport, was built at the edge of the marsh. The portion of Plum Island that is in the city has no direct access to the rest of the city; similarly, there is no access between the mainland and Woodbridge Island or Seal Island, west of Plum Island (the latter being shared between Newburyport and Newbury). Several parks and beaches dot the city, including Plum Island Point Beach, Simmons Beach, Joppa Park, Waterfront Park, Woodman Park, Cashman Park, Moseley Pines Park and Atkinson Common and March's Hill Park. Newburyport Forest is located in the southwest corner of the city, and Maudslay State Park lies along the northwest part of the city, along the banks of the Merrimack.
Newburyport is located 37 miles (60 km) north-northeast of Boston, 19 miles (31 km) east-northeast of Lawrence, and 21 miles (34 km) south-southeast of Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Situated 5 miles (8 km) south of the New Hampshire border, the city is bordered by the Gulf of Maine (Atlantic Ocean) to the east, Newbury to the south and southeast, West Newbury to the west and southwest, Amesbury to the north and northwest, and Salisbury to the northeast.
|* = population estimate. |
Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data.
As of the census of 2010, there were 17,416 people, 8,264 households, and 4,428 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,086.2 people per square mile (792.0/km2). There were 7,897 housing units at an average density of 942.0 per square mile (363.8/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 90.2% White, 3.6% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.61% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.16% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino people of any race were 2.7% of the population. The top five ethnic groups are: (United States 2010 Census quickfacts)
There were 7,519 households out of which 25.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.7% were married couples living together, 8.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 41.1% were non-families. 33.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the city, the population was spread out with 20.7% under the age of 18, 4.4% from 18 to 24, 32.7% from 25 to 44, 28.2% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females, there were 86.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 82.9 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $78,557, and the median income for a family was $103,306. Males had a median income of $51,831 versus $37,853 for females. The per capita income for the city was $34,187. About 2.8% of families and 5.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.5% of those under age 18 and 6.9% of those age 65 or over.
Upon adopting a new charter in 2011 which took effect in 2013, Newburyport has been run by a mayor with a four-year term and an eleven-member City Council (prior to that, the mayor's term lasted for two years). During the mid-twentieth century, Newburyport enjoyed a typical "small community" approach, conducted, most notably, by city mayor and activist Ed Molin, who died in 2005. The current mayor of Newburyport is Donna Holaday, and the next election year for mayor is 2021.
|Voter registration and party enrollment as of October 15, 2008|
|Party||Number of voters||Percentage|
Interstate 95 passes through the western side of town, with one exit at Route 113. Route 113 itself has its eastern terminus at U.S. Route 1 and Massachusetts Route 1A, with Route 1A continuing along the same right of way as 113 towards Newbury. Route 1 and 1A cross the river along the Newburyport Turnpike Bridge; it had originally followed State Street and ended at Merrimac and Water streets before crossing the river via ferry to Salisbury. The Turnpike Bridge is the easternmost crossing of the Merrimack; upstream the river is crossed by the Newburyport Railroad Bridge (just west of the Turnpike Bridge), the Chain Bridge, one of the oldest bridges along the river, and the Whittier Memorial Bridge, which brings Interstate 95 to Amesbury.
The Merrimack Valley Regional Transit Authority provides regular bus service between the city and Haverhill, which includes access to the commuter rail station in Newburyport. The bus costs $1.25 for adults paying cash and $1 for adults paying with CharlieCard. C&J and Coach Company, privately operated coach carriers, operate commuter bus services between Newburyport and Boston. Newburyport is the northern terminus of the Newburyport/Rockport Line of the MBTA Commuter Rail system, providing access through several North Shore cities to Boston's North Station.
Plum Island Airport is a privately owned general aviation airport located within the city limits. It is open to the public and managed by Plum Island Aerodrome, Inc., a not-for-profit organization. The nearest scheduled commercial air service can be found at Boston's Logan International Airport, Worcester's Worcester Regional Airport, Portsmouth's Pease International Tradeport or Manchester's Manchester-Boston Regional Airport.
The current site of Newburyport High School was purchased from Harvard University early in the 20th century. Newburyport High School is one of the oldest public high schools in the United States.
Newburyport is served by several public schools, belonging to the Newburyport School District, and several private schools.
Newburyport makes activities available for its residents, including a year-round ice skating rink and a beautiful waterfront and boardwalk. Many Newburyport residents love boating, fishing, swimming, and other water sports. The city's picturesque downtown shopping district also makes it a great location to enjoy boutique shopping. The city sponsors several youth sports leagues, including baseball, football, soccer, lacrosse, basketball, and hockey. The city's youth services program also provides classes, campouts, and activities in robotics, music, rock climbing, chess, fencing, sewing, dance, skateboarding, judo, academics, cooking, yoga, cheerleading, art, fashion design, photography, biking, and frisbee.
Yankee Homecoming, run not by the city, but by the non-profit Yankee Homecoming, Inc., is the annual festival celebrating the natives coming home to Newburyport. The event was initiated in 1957 by native Newburyporter George Cashman, who sought to stimulate the economy and lift the spirit of the citizens.
It lasts one week. The first Sunday of the festival, known as "Olde Fashioned Sunday", is celebrated at the Bartlet Mall in Newburyport, and features many activities, including an art show, an appearance by the city's oldest fire engine, the "Neptune #8", and the participation of many local businesses. There is also an antique car parade. Each Yankee Homecoming features a grand marshal and numerous street vendors.
The festival includes eight days and over 200 events. There are concerts every night at Market Landing Park. Other popular events include the Newburyport Lions' 10-mile (16 km) and 5-kilometer road races, which run through the city's downtown streets and neighborhoods. There is also a 45-minute fireworks show on Saturday night, which is followed the concluding Sunday by the famous Yankee Homecoming parade.
First held in 1958, Newburyport's "Yankee Homecoming" is the second-oldest homecoming festival in the United States. Many charities raise their funds during this time.
Held Friday evenings in Waterfront Park in downtown Newburyport, these free concerts are intended for all ages. The concerts are presented by the Newburyport Chamber of Commerce and the Waterfront Trust and are sponsored by a local insurance agency, Arthur S Page Insurance.
Held during the last weekend of April, the Newburyport Literary Festival was started in 2006 as a new effort by the city to increase interest in reading and literary arts. Many local authors are invited to sign and chat about their book, and schoolchildren create projects to show to an author who visits their school. Among the authors who regularly visit are Andre Dubus III, Tess Gerritsen and Rhina Espaillat.
Over the years, the town has cultivated a significant tourist population. The quaint downtown shopping center includes businesses that appeal to all ages. Local businesses and restaurants surround Market Square and along State Street. During festivals throughout the year, visitors are invited to enjoy concerts, food, and entertainment. An old mill building on Liberty Street is home to other small businesses and a local farmers' market during both the summer and winter seasons. The historic area has a charming feel and upbeat atmosphere.
High Street is a remarkable street of fine old Federal-style houses, linking the Atkinson Common (1893–1894) with the Bartlett Mall, site of the Charles Bulfinch-designed Essex County Superior Courthouse (1805). Laid out in 1801, the Bartlett Mall was redesigned in the 1880s by noted Boston landscape architect Charles Eliot, with later improvements by Arthur Shurcliff.
First Presbyterian Church dates from 1756. The clock tower bell was cast by Paul Revere. One of the most famous individuals in 18th-century America, evangelist George Whitefield, before dying in Newburyport in 1770, asked that his remains be buried under the pulpit of the "Old South" church, and they are there to this day.
Some other points of interest are the city's historic waterfront, Atwood Park located in the south end of Newburyport, Market Square & Inn Street, Cashman Park, and Brown Square, graced with a statue to "Garrison the Liberator", before the City Hall. The recently restored City Hall itself is a fine old building featuring in the first floor corridor a portrait gallery of some of those who have fallen in service of their country. Others are listed on the central monument in Atkinson Common.
Newburyport was the inspiration for the city of Innsmouth, the setting of the H. P. Lovecraft story The Shadow Over Innsmouth, part of the Cthulhu Mythos. The narrative also cameos the actual Newburyport in the first chapter. It is where the protagonist sets out from on his journey to Innsmouth. It was also mentioned in Stephen Kings, "Doctor Sleep," when it explains Dan's drinking.
“I believe that Elizabeth Warren is a person who will really fight for the average person,” said Newburyport Mayor Donna D. Holaday, a Democrat.
Carl Francis Schueler (born February 26, 1956 in Newburyport, Massachusetts) is a retired male race walker from the United States. Schueler was a four time olympian and the first American to walk the 50k under 4 hours.Eben F. Stone
Eben Francis Stone (August 3, 1822 – January 22, 1895) was a U.S. Representative from Massachusetts.
Stone was born in Newburyport, Massachusetts to Ebenezer and Fanny (Coolidge) Stone.Stone attended North Andover Academy and graduated from Harvard University in 1843 and from Harvard Law School in 1846.
He was admitted to the bar in 1847 and commenced practice in Newburyport, Massachusetts.
He served as president of the common council in 1851.
He served in the Massachusetts Senate in 1857, 1858, and 1861.
Stone enlisted in the Union Army during the Civil War, and commanded the 48th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry of the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia.
Stone served as the eleventh mayor of Newburyport in 1867.
Stone served as member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives in 1867, 1877, 1878, and 1880.
Stone was elected as a Republican to the Forty-seventh, Forty-eighth, and Forty-ninth Congresses (March 4, 1881 – March 3, 1887).
He was not a candidate for renomination in 1886.
He resumed the practice of law in Newburyport, Massachusetts, where he died January 22, 1895.
Stone was interred in Oak Hill Cemetery.Fort Philip
Fort Philip was a fort that existed in 1776, and 1808 to around 1815 in Newburyport, Massachusetts on the northern end of Plum Island, known as Lighthouse Point. It was reinforced in the 1800s, although the site eventually washed away.Jeremiah Nelson
Jeremiah Nelson, was a Representative from Massachusetts.
Nelson was born in Rowley, Essex County, Massachusetts, September 14, 1769 to Solomon and Elizabeth (Mighill) Nelson. He graduated from Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, in 1790. He engaged in the mercantile business in Newburyport, Massachusetts.He was a member of the general court of Massachusetts in 1803 and 1804, was elected as a Federalist to the Ninth Congress (March 4, 1805 – March 3, 1807); he was not a candidate for renomination in 1806 to the Tenth Congress. In 1811, he served as chairman of the board of selectmen of Newburyport. He was again elected to the Congress and to the four succeeding Congresses, serving from (March 4, 1815 – March 3, 1825). During the (Seventeenth and Eighteenth Congresses) he was chairman of the Committee on Expenditures on Public Buildings. He was not a candidate for renomination in 1824 to the Nineteenth Congress.
He served as president of the Newburyport Mutual Fire Co. in 1829. He returned to Congress as an Anti-Jacksonian for the Twenty-second Congress (March 4, 1831 – March 3, 1833). He declined to be a candidate for renomination in 1832. After leaving politics, he engaged in the shipping business. Nelson died in Newburyport, Massachusetts, October 2, 1838, and was interred in Oak Hill Cemetery.Joe Keery
Joseph David Keery (born April 24, 1992) is an American actor and musician. He is best known for portraying Steve Harrington in the American science-fiction horror web television series Stranger Things, as well as a contributing musician for the American psychedelic rock band Post Animal.Joseph Blunt
Joseph Blunt (February 1792, Newburyport, Massachusetts – June 16, 1860, New York City) was an American lawyer, author, editor and politician from New York.Katherine Tingley
Katherine Augusta Westcott Tingley (born July 6, 1847, Newbury, Massachusetts; died July 11, 1929, Visingsö, Sweden) was a social worker and prominent Theosophist. She was the leader, after W. Q. Judge, of the American Section of the Theosophical Society. She founded and led the Theosophical community Lomaland in Point Loma, California.Newburyport Harbor Front Range Light
The Newburyport Harbor Front Range Light is one of two historic range lights in Newburyport, Massachusetts. When it was built in 1873, it was located at Bayley's Wharf, and provided, in combination with the Rear Range Light, a critical aid for navigating into Newburyport's harbor. In 1964 the light was moved to its present location on the grounds of the Merrimack River Coast Guard Station. The stations are no longer in service, but serves as a daymark for arriving mariners.The light was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987, and included in the Newburyport Historic District in 1984.Newburyport Harbor Light
The Newburyport Harbor Light, also known as Plum Island Light, built in 1788, is a historic lighthouse on Northern Boulevard in Newburyport, Massachusetts.
The original 4th order Fresnel lens is still in use, one of only five original glass Fresnel lenses still in use in Massachusetts.The light is now owned by the City of Newburyport and is leased to the Friends of Plum Island Light.It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Newburyport Harbor Light on June 15, 1987, reference number 87001485.Newburyport Harbor Rear Range Light
The Newburyport Harbor Rear Range Light is a historic lighthouse at 61½ Water St. near the Merrimack River in Newburyport, Massachusetts. It was built in 1873 as one of a pair of range lights for guiding ships up the river to the city's harbor.Newburyport Herald
The Newburyport Herald (1797–1915) was a newspaper published in Newburyport, Massachusetts in the 19th century. It began in 1797 with the merger of two previous newspapers, William Barrett's Political Gazette and Angier March's Impartial Herald. Employees included abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison and James Akin.Sharon Prost
Sharon Prost (born May 24, 1951) is the Chief United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.The Daily News of Newburyport
The Daily News of Newburyport is an American daily newspaper covering northeastern Essex County, Massachusetts, USA. The newspaper is published Monday through Saturday mornings by North of Boston Media Group, a subsidiary of Community Newspaper Holdings Inc.
Based in Newburyport, Massachusetts, the paper also covers several neighboring cities and towns: Amesbury, Georgetown, Merrimac, Newbury, Rowley, Salisbury and West Newbury, Massachusetts, and Seabrook, New Hampshire.Tristram Dalton
Tristram Dalton (May 28, 1738 – May 30, 1817) was an American politician and merchant from Massachusetts. He served a single term as one of the first United States Senators, from 1789 to 1791. He was for many years one of the leading citizens of Newburyport, Massachusetts, but lost most of his fortune due to ill-timed and mismanaged investments in the real estate of Washington, D.C.USS Meteor (1819)
The first USS Meteor retained her commercial name when the United States Navy purchased her for the "Stone Fleet." She was sunk as an obstruction in Charleston Harbor off Charleston, South Carolina, in January 1862.
Meteor, a full‑rigged sailing ship, was built in Newburyport, Massachusetts, in 1819. From 1822 to 1825, she was one of the ships of the New York-to-Liverpool Red Star Packet Line. In 1830 she became a whaler, her role until 1856. Purchased by the U.S. Navy at Mystic, Connecticut, on 4 November 1861, she was sunk on 9 January 1862 as part of the "Stone Fleet" to help obstruct blockade‑running commerce along the coasts of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.WJOP-LP
WJOP-LP (96.3 FM), known as Joppa Radio, is a low power FM radio station in Newburyport, Massachusetts, licensed to the Newburyport Community Media Center. With studios located in the Commerce Park building (as part of their community television facilities known as PortMedia) and antenna atop of Newburyport High School, Joppa Radio officially began broadcasting on April 16, 2016, initially with an all classical format, but intending to diversify as its listener donated library grows.WNBP
WNBP (1450 AM, 106.1 FM) is a radio station licensed to serve Newburyport, Massachusetts, United States and serving the Boston market. The station is owned by Bloomberg L.P.. The station carries financial news from Bloomberg Radio. WNBP is simulcast on a 90-watt FM translator at 106.1 MHz, W291CC, transmitting from Amesbury.
The station was assigned the WNBP call letters by the Federal Communications Commission on January 18, 1991.William Plumer
William Plumer (June 25, 1759 – December 22, 1850) was an American lawyer, Baptist lay preacher, and politician from Epping, New Hampshire. He is most notable for his service as a Federalist in the United States Senate (1802–1807), and Governor of New Hampshire as a Democratic-Republican (1812–1813, 1816–1819).William Stedman
William Stedman (January 21, 1765 – August 31, 1831) was a U.S. Representative from Massachusetts.
Stedman was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He graduated from Harvard University in 1784. After this he studied law. He was admitted to the bar in 1787 and practiced in Lancaster, Charlestown, and Worcester. He was appointed Justice of the Peace in 1790. He served as town clerk of Lancaster 1795-1800. He was a member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives in 1802. He served as executive chancellor of Lancaster from 1803 to 1807.
Stedman was elected as a Federalist to the Eighth Congress. He was elected from the Massachusetts' 11th Congressional district. The district he represented had been drawn in the redistricting following the 1800 Census. It essentially covered the area of Worcester and northward to the New Hampshire border. Stedman was reelected to three succeeding Congresses and served from March 4, 1803, until his resignation July 16, 1810. He served as clerk of Worcester County Courts 1810-1816. Stedman was elected a member of the American Antiquarian Society in 1813, and also served on its board of councilors from 1815 to 1816. Later in life moved to Newburyport, Massachusetts, where he died August 31, 1831. He was interred in Old Hill Burying Ground.
William Stedman married Almy Ellery (14 Feb 1759 - 25 Dec 1839). She was a sister of Elizabeth Ellery, who married Hon. Francis Dana, and also of Lucy Ellery who married William Channing (parents of William Ellery Channing, a founder of the Unitarian Church.)
|Climate data for Newburyport, Massachusetts (1981–2010 normals)|
|Average high °F (°C)||33.9
|Average low °F (°C)||16.3
|Average precipitation inches (mm)||3.61
|Average snowfall inches (cm)||18.0
|Average precipitation days (≥ 0.01 in)||10.8||9.2||11.3||11.3||12.4||12.2||10.4||9.5||9.3||9.9||11.1||10.8||128.2|
|Average snowy days (≥ 0.1 in)||6.9||4.9||3.8||.9||0||0||0||0||0||.1||1.1||4.6||22.3|
Municipalities and communities of Essex County, Massachusetts, United States
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|