Newark Schools Stadium (nicknamed "The Old Lady of Bloomfield Avenue") is the name of two stadiums that were both located on Bloomfield Avenue between Abingdon and Roseville Avenues in the Roseville section of Newark, New Jersey.
The first stadium was used primarily for football and was built in 1925. It was the home of the Newark Tornadoes of the National Football League during the 1930 season. The stadium was used for high school football until 2006. Baseball's Newark Stars of the Eastern Colored League, which was a part of the Negro Leagues, also used the stadium in 1926. Its primary use, however, was for Newark's high schools. The original stadium was a reinforced concrete horseshoe shaped venue that had a maximum seating capacity of 25,000.
The original stadium was condemned in 2006 and demolished in 2009. In its place, a brand new Schools Stadium was constructed on the site and the new stadium opened in 2011.
The current Schools Stadium shares some design elements with its predecessor but seats far fewer people (5,600) in two metal bleacher sections. It currently plays host to football games played by Barringer High School, East Side High School, and Newark Collegiate Academy. The new Schools Stadium is one of three venues used by Newark's high schools; Shabazz High School and Weequahic High School both have football stadiums. Shabazz's field, Shabazz Stadium, is also used by Newark Central High School. Weequahic's Untermann Field is also home to West Side High School's football team.
|Newark Schools Stadium|
|Location||450 Bloomfield Avenue, Roseville, Newark, New Jersey 07102|
|Surface||Grass (original stadium) |
|Opened||1925 (original stadium)|
2011 (current stadium)
|Newark Stars (ECL) (1926)|
Newark Tornadoes (NFL) (1930)
Newark Tornadoes (AA) (1930, 1937-1938)
Newark Bears (AA) (1939-1941, 1963-1964))
Newark Ukrainian Sitch (ASL) (1967-1968)
Newark City Schools (1925-2006)
For the 1967-68 ASL (American Soccer League) season, the Newark Ukrainian Sitch club moved its home games to this field. Prior to that season, 'Sitch' played at Ironbound field. The move to an approx. 25,000 capacity ground was welcomed as an improvement. The crowds never filled the stadium however and the Ukrainian Weekly refers to crowds only in the hundreds rather than thousands.
After the Tornadoes folded, Newark's American Association team became the primary tenants for the stadium. The American Association was the first attempt at establishing a farm system for the NFL. In 1937, the Tornadoes left Orange, New Jersey again for Newark. The team was once again called the Newark Tornadoes. In 1939, the team was purchased by George Halas, the owner of the Chicago Bears, and called the Newark Bears. The Bears played in the stadium until World War II; the Newark Bombers would play in the same league and stadium in 1946 after the war ended. In 1963, another Bears franchise would arrive when the Paterson Miners of the Atlantic Coast Football League moved to Newark, took on the Bears name, and played through 1965; its last year in Newark was in the Continental Football League. Another Continental league team, the Jersey Jays, played its 1969 season in Newark before moving to nearby Jersey City in 1970.
Most of Newark's public school football teams played at the stadium as well until 2006. The Stadium also served, since 1955 until its closing for reconstruction, as the home of the North Newark Little League (formerly the Saint Francis Xavier Little League).
Schools Stadium was also used for baseball. In 1926, the Newark Stars of the Negro Leagues' Eastern Colored League played at stadium. When the stadium was configured for baseball, the distance down the foul lines was so short, that balls hit over the fence were ground rule doubles. High school teams also used the field for baseball until 2006. The Stadium was also the original home of what has become one of the largest youth baseball programs in the City of Newark - the North Newark Little League. Formerly the St. Francis Xavier Little League, the youth of the program utilized the baseball fields from 1955. It was the last organization to have continued use of the facility (even after it was condemned in 2006) right up to the point of its closing for reconstruction.
Olympian Jesse Owens, once ran track there and lost to a Newark local named Eulace Peacock. Meanwhile, another Olympian, Milt Campbell began his track career at Newark Schools Stadium. The National Women's Olympic Trials also were held in the stadium in 1928.
Years of neglect allowed the stadium to experience a large amount of deterioration and compromised structural integrity. At various points in its later years, parts of the stadium's wooden bleachers were blocked off with fencing to prevent spectators from sitting in these seats.
In 2006, a capital bond request was approved by the Newark City Council that included $63.7 million in funding for 14 projects that ranged from a new robotics center to the rebuilding of Schools Stadium. In Fall 2006, Schools Stadium was condemned and three years later the stadium was demolished. Barringer and East Side moved their games to Untermann Field while the new stadium was being constructed.
Knights of Columbus Stadium
| Home of the Orange A.C.- Orange/Newark Tornadoes
Knights of Columbus Stadium
| Home of the Orange A.C.- Orange/Newark Tornadoes
The 1965 CFL season was the first season of the Continental Football League (CFL). The CFL entered its inaugural season with franchises in Philadelphia, Springfield, Massachusetts, Newark, New Jersey, Toronto, Wheeling, West Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, Charleston, West Virginia, Hartford, Connecticut, Providence, Rhode Island, and Fort Wayne, Indiana.1969 Continental Football League season
The 1969 CFL season was the fifth and final season of the Continental Football League (CFL). Following the season, nine of the league's remaining teams split from the league, with five forming the Trans-American Football League and four joining the Atlantic Coast Football League.Arthur Ashe Stadium
Arthur Ashe Stadium is a tennis stadium at Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Queens, New York City. Part of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, it is the main stadium of the US Open tennis tournament, and the largest tennis stadium in the world, with a capacity of 23,771.The stadium is named after Arthur Ashe, winner of the 1968 inaugural US Open, the first in which professionals could compete. The original stadium design, completed in 1997, had not included a roof. After suffering successive years of event delays from inclement weather, a new lightweight retractable roof was completed in 2016.Bergen Ballpark
The Bergen Ballpark was a proposed 8,000-seat baseball-only stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, intended to be the home of the Bergen Cliff Hawks. The stadium was to be part of the larger Meadowlands Xanadu project that is currently under construction. Bergen Ballpark was in the planning stages since 2001, but local politics and a lease agreement between the Mills Corporation, the company who built the Xanadu and would own the ballpark, halted plans in 2005.Harrison Park (New Jersey)
Harrison Park is a former baseball ground located in Harrison, New Jersey, a city adjacent to Newark, New Jersey. The ground was home to the Newark Peppers of the Federal League in 1915. The field was also called "Peppers Park" or "Peps Park".Hofstra University Soccer Stadium
Hofstra University Soccer Stadium, is a 1,600 seat soccer-specific stadium on the campus of Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York. It is part of the Hofstra University sports complex. First opened in 2003, it is the home field of the Hofstra Pride men's and women's soccer teams.The stadium has hosted the first round of the NCAA Division I Men's Soccer Tournament games in 2005, 2006 and 2015.Jersey Jays
The Jersey Jays were a professional American football team based in Jersey City, New Jersey. They began play in 1969 as a member of the Continental Football League, and were a farm team of the NFL's Cleveland Browns. The Jays played their home games in Newark Schools Stadium in 1969.
The Jays were the second team in the U.S. CFL to play in Newark. The Newark Bears were a charter member of the league when it debuted in 1965 before it relocated to become the Orlando Panthers in 1966. The Jays were established to take the place of the Charleston Rockets, who left the league following the 1968 season.
The Jays moved to the Atlantic Coast Football League in the 1969-70 offseason, just before the CFL folded. That season the team also moved to nearby Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City. The Jays ceased operations after one year in the ACFL, and their players were distributed as part of a dispersal draft in May 1971.Knights of Columbus Stadium
Knights of Columbus Stadium was a football stadium located in East Orange, New Jersey, along Main Street. The stadium was used by the Orange Tornadoes of the National Football League in 1929. However, the Tornadoes first moved into the stadium in 1926, when they were still called the Orange Athletic Club. The Tornadoes briefly moved to Newark, New Jersey in 1930. However, after a disastrous season, the team moved back to Orange and played independently at the stadium from 1931 until 1935. The team also played at Knights of Columbus Stadium in 1936, as a member of American Association.
The largest crowd in 1929 was 9,000 people who attended the season opener on September 29. The smallest crowd of the season was 1,500 people on November 17. Former Orange player, Ernest Cuneo, once wrote that the attendance mainly ran in the range between 2,500 and 3,000 fans at Knights of Columbus Field, which was low even for a Depression year.Louis Armstrong Stadium
Louis Armstrong Stadium is a 14,000-seat tennis stadium at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, one of the venues of the US Open. It opened for the 2018 US Open as a replacement for the 1978 stadium of the same name.Louis Brown Athletic Center
The Louis Brown Athletic Center, more commonly known as the RAC (for its original name, the Rutgers Athletic Center), is an 8,000-seat multi-purpose arena in Piscataway, New Jersey on Rutgers University's Livingston Campus. The building is shaped like a truncated tent with trapezoidal sides on the north and south ends. It is home to the men's and women's Rutgers Scarlet Knights basketball teams as well as the wrestling team. Previously, the University used the 3,200-seat College Avenue Gym from 1931 to 1977.Metropolitan Oval
The Metropolitan Oval, also known as Met Oval, is a soccer complex located in Maspeth, Queens in New York City. Village Voice named the complex, which takes up 4.2 acres (17,000 m2), the "Best full soccer field in the middle of a residential neighborhood" in 2004, for its "pristine" playing surface and the view of the Manhattan skyline.In addition, the Metropolitan Oval is a U.S. Soccer Development Academy member. The Metropolitan Oval Academy and facility is led by an all-volunteer Board of Directors. Filippo Giovagnoli serves as Technical Director of the Academy.Nassau County Aquatic Center
The Nassau County Aquatics Center is an aquatic facility located at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow, NY. It is considered the largest Olympic-sized single-tank pool in North America. At least 16 world records in swimming have been set in the facility. It was built in 1998 for the Goodwill Games. Since the Goodwill Games in 1998, it has hosted numerous swimming championships and high level competitions including the USA Swimming National Championship, NCAA National Championship, Big East Conference Championship and FINA World Cup. The Center is 80,000 square feet with a 68m pool and three moveable bulkheads to accommodate SCM, SCY, and LCM competition. In 2002, Natalie Coughlin set multiple world records during the FINA World Cup at the center. In 2002 it was reported that the pool had lost millions of dollars. Dave Ferris was aquatics director in 2002, he reportedly questioned the reported losses, stating that "I don't believe expenses on the building are completely clear at this time". In 2011, the facility underwent a renovation after a 40lbs light fixture fell about 55 feet into the swimming pool. Since 2011 it had also been proposed to build an additional outdoor 50m pool adjacent to the existing facility.Newark Velodrome
The Newark Velodrome was a bicycle track located on South Orange Avenue in Newark, New Jersey. It measured six laps to the mile, or 293 yards per lap. The track was built in 1907. The Newark Tornadoes of the National Football League also played several "home" games on the track's grassy infield, during the 1930 season, while the other "home" games were played at Newark Schools Stadium.Orange/Newark Tornadoes
The Orange Tornadoes and Newark Tornadoes were two manifestations of a long-lived professional American football franchise that existed in some form from 1887 to 1941 and from 1958 to 1970, having played in the National Football League from 1929 to 1930, the American Association from 1936 to 1941, the Atlantic Coast Football League from 1963 to 1964 and 1970, and the Continental Football League from 1965 to 1969. The team was based for most of its history in Orange, New Jersey, with many of its later years in Newark. Its last five seasons of existence were as the Orlando Panthers, when the team was based in Orlando, Florida. The NFL franchise was sold back to the league in October 1930. The team had four head coaches in its two years in the NFL – Jack Depler in Orange, and Jack Fish, Al McGall and Andy Salata in Newark.Proposed domed Brooklyn Dodgers stadium
A proposed domed stadium for the Brooklyn Dodgers, designed by Buckminster Fuller, was to replace Ebbets Field for the Brooklyn Dodgers to allow them to stay in New York City. The Dodgers instead moved to Chavez Ravine in Los Angeles. First announced in the early 1950s, the envisioned structure would have seated 52,000 people and been the first domed stadium in the world, opening roughly a decade before Houston's Astrodome. The stadium, in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, would have been located at the northeast corner of Flatbush Avenue and Atlantic Avenue, on the site of the Atlantic Terminal. It would have cost $6 million to build and been privately financed. It was never built.
The general area eventually did become a sports venue, because Barclays Center was built across the street to the south from the Atlantic Terminal, in neighboring Pacific Park.Roseville, Newark
Roseville is an unincorporated community and neighborhood within the city of Newark in Essex County, New Jersey, United States. It borders Bloomfield and East Orange. To the neighborhood's immediate east is the Newark City Subway and Branch Brook Park. Roseville is divided into Upper Roseville north of 3rd Ave and Lower Roseville south of 3rd Ave.
Originally called "Rowesville," Roseville was farmland at the time of the Civil War, but during the conflict most of the area was turned into Union Army training and camping grounds. Residential development began with the construction of Newark's first streetcar line in 1862, and expanded greatly in the 1880s. Growth was also spurred by the Delaware, Lackawanna, & Western Railroad, which maintained a train station in Roseville for many years (closed in 1982 by New Jersey Transit). For generations, Roseville received Newarkers who had acquired the prosperity to leave the crowded tenements of the Ironbound and the central part of the city.
At the turn of the century, the northern section of the district was predominantly Irish-American, but the rest of the neighborhood was not associated with any single ethnic group. Most of the residents, however, were Catholic and St. Rose of Lima Church was an important part of neighborhood life. In the 1950s and 1960s, the proportion of African American residents increased. However, since the 1970s, increasing numbers of Hispanic families have moved into the neighborhood, hailing from Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and various Latin American mainland countries.
From 1929 to 1964 Roseville was Newark Academy's third home. The school had a large campus on First Street, between Seventh Avenue and Orange Street. The building was torn down in 1965 and replaced by apartments.
Roseville has a tradition of community organization. In 1930 the citizens of Roseville founded the Roseville Community Council, the first grass-roots neighborhood improvement society in Newark. In the wake of the 1967 riots, the pastor of St. Rose of Lima Church, Monsignor William J. Linder, founded the New Community Corporation, a highly successful jobs, housing, and medical care charity.
A major landmark of Roseville is the Newark Schools' Stadium at the corner of Roseville Avenue and Bloomfield Avenue. There are also many Italian restaurants along Bloomfield Avenue.
Roseville is served by the Orange Street, Park Avenue and Bloomfield Avenue Stations of Newark City Subway.
Educational institutions include: First Avenue Elementary School, Dr.William.H.Horton School, Alma Flagg Elementary School, Sussex Avenue School, Roseville Avenue School, Newark Preschool, St. Rose of Lima School, and St.Frances Xavier School.
The historic Roseville Presbyterian Church, incorporated in 1854, is located on Roseville Ave between I-280 and Sussex Avenue. It was originally started by middle class residents from nearby East Orange and is now a predominantly African American Congregation.
Roseville is served by two public library branches: Roseville branch for Lower Roseville and the First Ave branch for Upper Roseville.Ruppert Stadium (Newark)
Ruppert Stadium was a baseball stadium in Newark, New Jersey, in the area now known as the Ironbound. Originally named Davids' Stadium after Charles L. Davids, owner of the Newark Bears, it was home to the minor league Newark Bears of the International League from 1926 to 1949, and to the Negro League Newark Stars in 1926 and Newark Eagles from 1936 to 1948. It was also the home field of the short-lived Newark Bears of the first American Football League in 1926. The stadium was named for Jacob Ruppert, a baseball team owner who built the farm system of the New York Yankees.In October 1952, the Yankees organization announced their intention to tear down the 14,000-seat stadium and sell the land for real estate development. The local Board of Education stepped in to purchase the stadium for $275,000 and converted the property into a school recreation center. In 1967 the stadium was demolished and the land was sold again the following year to the Vita Food Products company, which built a food plant on the site.Spiro Sports Center
Spiro Sports Center is a 2,100-seat multi-purpose arena located on the campus of Wagner College in Staten Island, New York. It was built in 1999 as an extensive addition to the Sutter Gymnasium, which was constructed in 1951. The center is home to the Wagner College Seahawks men's and women's basketball team. The Northeast Conference men's basketball tournament was held there in 1999, 2003, 2016, and 2018
The center also houses a pool, numerous locker rooms, fitness center/weight room, training room, equipment room, as well as offices and meeting rooms for Wagner's intercollegiate athletic programs.Washington Park (baseball)
Washington Park was the name given to three Major League Baseball parks (or four, by some reckonings) on two different sites in the Park Slope neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York, located at Third Street and Fourth Avenue. The two sites were diagonally opposite each other at that intersection.
Defunct stadiums of the National Football League
†= Team's stadium under construction or refurbishment at time
1 = A team used the stadium when their permanent stadium was unable to be used as a result of damage.