The New York Times Building, at 41 Park Row in the Civic Center neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, was the home of The New York Times from 1889 to 1903, when it moved to Longacre Square, now known as Times Square. The building stands as the oldest of the surviving buildings of what was once "Newspaper Row", and is owned by Pace University. A bronze statue of Benjamin Franklin holding a copy of his Pennsylvania Gazette stands in front of the building across the street in Printing-House Square, currently known as 1 Pace Plaza.
|New York Times Building|
(41 Park Row)
|Address||41 Park Row, Manhattan, New York, 10007|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||George B. Post|
|Structural engineer||Thomas R. Jackson|
The newspaper's first building was located at 113 Nassau Street in New York City. In 1854, it moved to 138 Nassau Street, and in 1858 it moved to a five-story building designed by Thomas R. Jackson in the Romanesque Revival style at 41 Park Row – until then the site of the Brick Presbyterian Church – making it the first newspaper in New York City housed in a building built specifically for its use. The 1851 building, located across from City Hall and dwarfing that of Horace Greeley's New-York Tribune, was described by the Times in 2001 as "a declaration that the newspaper regarded itself as a powerful institution in civic life... No politician standing on the broad steps of City Hall could fail to note the newspaper's presence. And after 1871, when The Times led the crusade against the Tweed Ring, no politician could afford to ignore it."
After Greeley's Tribune raised the stakes with a taller building of its own in the 1870s, the Times responded in 1889 with a commission for architect George B. Post to design a grander – and taller – building at 41 Park Row to replace the existing structure. The 16-story Romanesque building, with arches carved from Maine granite and Indiana Limestone, was constructed around the core of the original building. The printing presses were kept in place, and the new building constructed around it as the old one was demolished – this space was later used by Pace University as a gym. The top floor was designated for use by the composing room to allow the printers access to more natural light.
The Fulton–Nassau Historic District is a federally designated historic area of New York City roughly bounded by Broadway and Park Row, Nassau, Dutch and William Streets, Ann and Spruce Streets, and Liberty Street, in lower Manhattan. It contains a mix of late 19th- and early 20th-century architectural styles. The historic district lies just south of City Hall Park and east of lower Broadway. It is a historic district listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Contained within the 10 block area of the Fulton–Nassau Historic District are many properties which have individually been designated New York City Landmarks by the Landmarks Preservation Commission, including the 63 Nassau Street Building, the Keuffel & Esser Company building, the Bennett Building (139 Fulton Street), the Park Row Building, the Potter Building (35-38 Park Row), and the New York Times Building (41 Park Row), among others.George B. Post
George Browne Post (December 15, 1837 – November 28, 1913) was an American architect trained in the Beaux-Arts tradition. Many of his most characteristic projects were for commercial buildings where new requirements pushed the traditional boundaries of design. Many have been demolished, since their central locations in New York and other cities made them vulnerable to rebuilding in the twentieth century. Some of his lost buildings were regarded as landmarks of their era. He was active from 1869 almost until his death in 1913. His sons, who had been taken into the firm in 1904, continued as George B. Post and Sons through 1930. Post's eight-story Equitable Life Assurance Society (1868–70), was the first office building designed to use elevators; Post himself leased the upper floors when contemporaries predicted they could not be rented. His Western Union Telegraph Building (1872–75) at Dey Street in Lower Manhattan, was the first office building to rise as high as ten stories, a forerunner of skyscrapers to come. When it was erected in "Newspaper Row" facing City Hall Park, Post's twenty-story New York World Building (1889–90) was the tallest building in New York City.
|Chairman of the Board|