New Albany /ˈɑːlbəni/ is a city in Floyd County, Indiana, United States, situated along the Ohio River opposite Louisville, Kentucky. The population was 36,372 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Floyd County. It is bounded by I-265 to the north and the Ohio River to the south, and is considered part of the Louisville, Kentucky Metropolitan Statistical Area. The mayor of New Albany is Jeff Gahan, a Democrat; he was re-elected in 2015.
New Albany, Indiana
|City of New Albany|
Part of New Albany as seen from Floyds Knobs, Indiana. Louisville's skyline is in the background.
Sunny Side of Louisville, River City, Gateway to the South and North West, Kentuckiana
Location of New Albany in Floyd County, Indiana.
|• Mayor||Jeff Gahan (D)|
|• Total||15.11 sq mi (39.13 km2)|
|• Land||14.94 sq mi (38.69 km2)|
|• Water||0.17 sq mi (0.44 km2)|
|Elevation||449 ft (137 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||2,454.81/sq mi (947.79/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||812 & 930|
|GNIS feature ID||0440013|
|Source: US Census Bureau|
The land of New Albany was officially granted to the United States after the American Revolutionary War. The territory had been captured by George Rogers Clark in 1779. For his services Clark was awarded large tracts of land in Southern Indiana including most of Floyd County. After the war Clark sold and distributed some of his land to his fellow soldiers. The area of New Albany ended up in the possession of Col. John Paul.
New Albany was founded in July 1813 when three brothers from New York —Joel, Abner, and Nathaniel Scribner—arrived at the Falls of the Ohio and named the site after the city of Albany, New York. They purchased the land from Col. John Paul. New Albany was platted by John Graham on the land owned by the Scribner brothers. In 1814 Joel and Mary Scribner built their home in New Albany; the Scribner House still stands today.
New Albany was incorporated as a town in 1817 as part of Clark County. In 1819, three years after Indiana was admitted as a state, New Albany became the seat of government for newly established Floyd County. A courthouse was finally built in 1824.
New Albany grew rapidly and was the largest city in Indiana from 1816 until 1860 when overtaken by Indianapolis. Before the Civil War, over half of Hoosiers worth over $100,000 lived in New Albany, making it by far the wealthiest part of the state. The steamboat industry was the engine of the city's economy during the mid-19th century. Fueled by abundant forests for lumber, at least a half-dozen shipbuilders were in operation and turned out a multitude of steamboats and packet boats, including the Robert E. Lee, Eliza Battle, the Eclipse, and the A.A. Shotwell. Shipbuilding was accompanied by a wide range of ancillary business including machine shops, foundries, cabinet and furniture factories, and silversmith shops. Its second largest business was the American Plate Glass Works.
In 1847 the city was connected to the port at Michigan City, Indiana on Lake Michigan via the Monon railroad. In 1853 the New Albany High School opened, the first public high school in the state. The original school was built at the corner of West First Street and Spring Street. New Albany would also be the first in the state to create a consolidated school district several years later.
Ashbel P. Willard, governor of the state of Indiana and a native of New Albany, dedicated the Floyd County Fairgrounds in 1859. That year, the Indiana State Fair was held in New Albany. During the Civil War, the fairgrounds were converted to become Camp Noble and used as a muster point for the area's regiments.
During the Civil War New Albany served as both a supply center for Union troops and as a medical care center for wounded soldiers. Up to 1,500 wounded soldiers were treated in New Albany during the war, many non medical buildings were converted into makeshift hospitals. In 1862, Abraham Lincoln established one of the first seven national cemeteries in New Albany for burying the many war dead. Despite the ongoing war, a new courthouse was built in 1865 which was used until the 1960s when the current City-County courthouse was constructed, also the first in Indiana.
The Town Clock Church, now the Second Baptist Church, was used as the New Albany stop in the Underground Railroad. The original steeple was destroyed by a lightning strike in 1915 and a new replica steeple wasn't completed until 101 years later in 2016.
During the American Civil War the trade with the South dwindled, as New Albany was boycotted by both sides, by Confederates because it was in a Union state and by the North because it was considered as too friendly to the South. Indianapolis overtook New Albany as Indiana's largest city in 1860 and across the river Louisville's population grew much faster, New Albany never regained its original stature. The once robust steamboat industry ended by 1870, with the last steamboat built in New Albany named, appropriately, the Robert E. Lee.
During the second half of the 19th century New Albany experienced an industrial boom despite the collapse of the steamboat industry. The advent of the railroad created economic opportunity for the city as a pork packing and locomotive repair center. A bridge was built across the Ohio River in 1886 providing a rail and road connection with Kentucky. American Plate Glass Works opened in 1865 which employed as many as 2,000 workers. When the factory relocated in 1893 New Albany lost a large part of its population and went into economic decline.
In the early 20th century, New Albany became a center of plywood and veneer, and its largest employer was the New Albany Veneering Company. By 1920, New Albany was the largest producer of plywood and veneer in the world with other producers including Indiana Veneer Panel Company and Hoosier Panel Company.
Interstate 64 was built through New Albany in 1961 and led to the construction of the Sherman Minton Bridge. The project cost $14.8 million. The bridge was named for US Senator and later Supreme Court Justice Sherman Minton, who was a native of nearby Georgetown and practiced law in New Albany. The bridge was named the "most beautiful long-span bridge of 1961" by the American Institute of Steel Construction.
Charles A. Prosser lived in New Albany for much of his life. Charles Allen Prosser School of Technology was named in honor of his accomplishments as the "father of vocational education." In the mid and late 20th century, New Albany became an innovator in using electronic media in education. New Albany High School, a public school, started WNAS-FM in 1949, which is the nation's oldest continuously operating high school radio station. In the late 1960s, Slate Run Elementary School started WSRS, a non-licensed student-produced closed circuit television service for its classrooms, one of the nation's first in an elementary school.
In January 1937, a major flood struck the region. New Albany, like the other river towns, had no flood walls and no methods of regulating the river. The Ohio River rose to 60.8 feet at New Albany, leaving most of the town under 10 or more feet of water for nearly three weeks. The flood was the worst disaster to befall the city.
After the flood, New Albany was the first city in the region to begin construction on massive flood walls around the city. New Albany's flood walls served as examples for those constructed around Louisville and Clark County.
New Albany is located at (38.301935, −85.821442).
According to the 2010 census, New Albany has a total area of 15.111 square miles (39.14 km2), of which 14.94 square miles (38.69 km2) (or 98.87%) is land and 0.171 square miles (0.44 km2) (or 1.13%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 36,372 people, 15,575 households, and 9,175 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,434.5 inhabitants per square mile (940.0/km2). There were 17,315 housing units at an average density of 1,159.0 per square mile (447.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 85.8% White, 8.7% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 1.7% from other races, and 2.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.7% of the population.
There were 15,575 households of which 29.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 35.4% were married couples living together, 18.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 41.1% were non-families. 33.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.27 and the average family size was 2.89.
The median age in the city was 37.1 years. 22.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 10.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.9% were from 25 to 44; 26.4% were from 45 to 64; and 13.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.5% male and 52.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 37,603 people, 15,959 households, and 10,054 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,571.1 people per square mile (992.4/km2). There were 17,098 housing units at an average density of 1,169.1 per square mile (451.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 84.00% White, 12.93% African American, 0.31% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.67% from other races, and 1.62% from two or more races. 1.36% of the population is Hispanic (Hispanics can be of any race).
There were 15,959 households out of which 29.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.5% were married couples living together, 16.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.0% were non-families. 30.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the city, the population was spread out with 24.0% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 29.2% from 25 to 44, 21.8% from 45 to 64, and 15.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 88.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $34,923, and the median income for a family was $41,993. Males had a median income of $31,778 versus $24,002 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,365. About 11.4% of families and 13.7% of the population were below the Poverty threshold, including 21.6% of those under age 18 and 9.1% of those age 65 or over.
New Albany's Main Street features a large collection of late 19th century mansions from the city's heyday as a shipbuilding center. The centerpiece is the Culbertson Mansion, a three-story French Second Empire Style structure, which is today an Indiana state memorial.
Every October, the downtown area of New Albany hosts the Harvest Homecoming festival, one of the largest annual events in the state. Festivities begin on the first weekend of October, but the main part, consisting of midway rides, shows, and booths lining the downtown streets, lasts from Thursday-Sunday of the second weekend in October.
Indiana University Southeast is located in the city.
New Albany-Floyd County Consolidated School Corporation operates public schools. The Children's Academy of New Albany is the public preschool program.
Elementary schools in the city limits include:
Middle schools in the city limits include:
The Greater Louisville Regional Japanese Saturday School (グレータールイビル日本語補習校 Gurētā Ruibiru Nihongo Hoshūkō), a Japanese weekend supplementary school, is affiliated with IUS's Japan Center. It was established in January 1988 and holds its classes at Hillside Hall; its office is elsewhere in New Albany.
The city has a free lending library, the New Albany-Floyd County Public Library.
William Jennings Bryan Herman (July 7, 1909 – September 5, 1992) was an American second baseman and manager in Major League Baseball (MLB) during the 1930s and 1940s. Known for his stellar defense and consistent batting, Herman still holds many National League (NL) defensive records for second basemen and was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1975.Charles M. La Follette
Charles Marion La Follette (February 27, 1898, in New Albany, Indiana – June 27, 1974, in Trenton, New Jersey) was an American lawyer and politician from Indiana. His great-grandfather was William Heilman, who was in the United States House of Representatives from Indiana. He served as a Republican in the United States House of Representatives during the 1940s and took part in the post-World War II Nuremberg Trials.
During World War I, La Follette was in the United States Army from 1917 to 1919, where he served in the 151st Infantry Regiment of the 38th Infantry Division. After his military service, La Follette studied law at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, and was admitted to the Indiana State Bar Association in 1925. He set up practice in Evansville, Indiana. La Follette served as a Republican in the Indiana House of Representatives from 1927 to 1929, and in the United States House of Representatives from 1943 to 1947. In 1947 he served as deputy chief of counsel for war crimes in the Nuremberg Trials. La Follette then served as the Director of Americans for Democratic Action from 1949 to 1950, and served on the Subversive Activities Control Board from 1950 to 1951.He was a third cousin of Robert M. La Follette, Jr. and Philip La Follette.He died in Trenton, New Jersey on June 27, 1974. His body was cremated and the ashes interred at Locust Hill Cemetery in Evansville, Indiana.Fuzzy Zoeller
Frank Urban "Fuzzy" Zoeller Jr. (; born November 11, 1951) is an American professional golfer who has won ten PGA Tour events including two major championships. He is one of three golfers to have won the Masters Tournament in his first appearance in the event. He also won the 1984 U.S. Open, which earned him the 1985 Bob Jones Award.George Brown Goode
George Brown Goode (13 February 1851 – 6 September 1896), was an American ichthyologist and museum administrator. He graduated from Wesleyan University and studied at Harvard University.Indiana University Southeast
Indiana University Southeast is a public university in New Albany, Indiana. It is a regional campus of Indiana University.James W. Dunbar
James Whitson Dunbar (October 17, 1860 – May 19, 1943) was a U.S. Representative from Indiana.
Born in New Albany, Indiana, Dunbar attended the public schools and was graduated from New Albany High School in 1878.
He engaged in mercantile pursuits.
Manager of public utilities in New Albany and Jeffersonville.
Secretary-treasurer of the Western Gas Association 1894–1906.
Secretary of the American Gas Institute 1906–1909.
He served as president of the Indiana Gas Association 1908-1910 and secretary 1914–1919.
Dunbar was elected as a Republican to the Sixty-sixth and Sixty-seventh Congresses (March 4, 1919 – March 3, 1923).
He was not a candidate for reelection in 1922.
Dunbar was elected to the Seventy-first Congress (March 4, 1929 – March 3, 1931).
He was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1930 to the Seventy-second Congress.
He resumed his former business pursuits.
He died in New Albany, Indiana, May 19, 1943.
He was interred in Fairview Cemetery.John MacLeod (basketball)
John Matthew MacLeod (October 3, 1937 – April 14, 2019) was an American basketball coach in the NCAA and the National Basketball Association.Josh Rogers
Joshua Cole Rogers (born July 10, 1994) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles of Major League Baseball (MLB).Michael C. Kerr
Michael Crawford Kerr (March 15, 1827 – August 19, 1876) was a Prosecuting Attorney in the 52nd Judicial District, an American legislator, and the first Democratic Speaker of the United States House of Representatives after the Civil War.New Albany High School (Indiana)
New Albany High School is a public high school located in New Albany, Indiana, United States. Founded in 1853, it is one of the oldest public high schools west of the Alleghenies and the first in Indiana. The school was the first FM high school radio station (88.1) to be licensed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and has had its own Public-access television cable TV channel WNAS-TV since 1980. It is a part of the New Albany-Floyd County Consolidated School Corporation.
The school serves New Albany and surrounding unincorporated areas.New Albany National Cemetery
New Albany National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located in the city of New Albany, in Floyd County, Indiana. Administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, it encompasses 5.5 acres (2.2 ha), and as of the end of 2005, had 6,881 interments. It is managed by Zachary Taylor National Cemetery.News and Tribune
The News and Tribune (N&T) is a six-day (Monday through Saturday) daily newspaper serving Clark and Floyd counties in Indiana. It is owned by Community Newspaper Holdings Inc, and based out of Jeffersonville, Indiana. Aside from its flagship publication, the N&T also publishes SoIn, a Thursday entertainment feature, periodical business and fitness magazines, and annual election guides and government statistics guides. The N&T also publishes jail booking information for both counties Tuesday through Saturday, periodic police run information, and on Saturdays publishes church information, milestones, a listing of marriage license recipients, and a full-color comics section.
It was published as two different newspapers, The Evening News in Clark County and The Tribune in Floyd County, until March 2011, when the two papers merged. The two papers had shared certain resources, including a shared website, for several years prior to the merger. Offices are maintained in both counties; its Clark County headquarters, which also houses the main offices, are located at the former Evening News office on Spring Street, within the Old Jeffersonville Historic District, and its Floyd County headquarters are in the former Tribune office in New Albany.
The News and Tribune maintains a news gathering and reporting partnership with Louisville NBC affiliate WAVE.Town Clock Church
The Town Clock Church, now the Second Baptist Church of New Albany, Indiana, United States, is a historic church located at 300 East Main Street, within the New Albany Downtown Historic District. It was constructed in 1852 as Second Presbyterian Church, in what was then the largest city in Indiana. It is near the Ohio River, across the border from Louisville, Kentucky. It was a station on the Underground Railroad.
The church is brick, and is constructed in the Greek Revival style of architecture. It previously had a 160-foot high clock tower that could be seen by boat crews on the Ohio River. However, the tower has been shortened. The first phase of reconstruction is underway which will include a new steeple and clock faces. When reconstruction is complete, the tower will once again be 160 feet tall.USS Black Hawk (1848)
USS Black Hawk (1848) was a large steamer purchased by the Union Navy during the American Civil War.
She was assigned by the Union Navy to gunboat duty in the waterways of the rebellious Confederate States of America.USS Choctaw (1856)
USS Choctaw (1856) was a large (1,004-ton) steamer built for the merchant service, but acquired by the Union Navy during the second year of the American Civil War.
Choctaw, with her crew of 106, was outfitted by the Navy as a ram with heavy rifled guns and was used both as a gunboat and as a ram on the rivers of the Confederate States of America.USS Essex (1856)
USS Essex was a 1000-ton ironclad river gunboat of the United States Army and later United States Navy during the American Civil War. It was named for Essex County, Massachusetts. USS Essex was originally constructed in 1856 at New Albany, Indiana as a steam-powered ferry named New Era.USS Huntress (1862)
USS Huntress (1862) was a steamer acquired by the Union Navy during the American Civil War. She was placed into service as a gunboat assigned to support the Union Navy during the naval blockade of ports and rivers of the Confederate States of America.William A. J. Sparks
William Andrew Jackson Sparks (November 19, 1828 – May 7, 1904) was a U.S. Representative from Illinois.
Born near New Albany, Indiana, Sparks moved with his parents to Illinois in 1836.
He attended the public schools and graduated from McKendree College in 1850. He taught school for a time and studied law. He was admitted to the bar in 1851 and commenced practice in Carlyle, Illinois.
United States land receiver for the Edwardsville (Illinois) land office 1853-1856.
He served as member of the State house of representatives in 1856 and 1857.
He served in the State senate in 1863 and 1864.
He served as delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1868.
Sparks was elected as a Democrat to the Forty-fourth and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1875-March 3, 1883).
He served as chairman of the Committee on Expenditures in the Department of the Interior (Forty-fifth Congress), Committee on Military Affairs (Forty-sixth Congress). He did not seek renomination in 1882 and resumed the practice of law.
He was appointed by President Cleveland as Commissioner of the United States General Land Office and served from March 26, 1885, to March 26, 1888.
He resumed the practice of law at Carlyle and Springfield, Illinois.
He died in St. Louis, Missouri, May 7, 1904.
He was interred in St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery, Carlyle, Illinois.William T. Zenor
William Taylor Zenor (April 30, 1846 – June 2, 1916) was a United States Representative from Indiana.
He was born near Corydon, Indiana and attended the common schools and the James G. May Seminary. He also studied law in New Albany, Indiana and was admitted to the bar in 1870 and commenced practice in Corydon. He moved to Leavenworth, Crawford County, Indiana in 1871 and continued the practice of law.
Zenor was the prosecuting attorney of Crawford and Harrison Counties from 1879 to 1885. He was the judge of the third judicial circuit from 1885 to 1897. He was elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-fifth and to the four succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1897 - March 3, 1907). He resumed the practice of law in Corydon, Indiana after leaving Congress and moved to New Albany, Indiana in 1910.
He continued the practice of law until his death there on June 2, 1916, aged 70. He was buried in Cedar Hill Cemetery, Corydon, Indiana.
Places in Greater Louisville
In order by county
Bold indicates county of 100,000+
(over 10K pop.)
Municipalities and communities of Floyd County, Indiana, United States
County seat: New Albany