The Nepean Sailing Club (NSC) is located on Lac Deschênes in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The club is based in Dick Bell Park, along Carling Avenue, adjacent to Andrew Haydon Park in the former city of Nepean.
|Nepean Sailing Club|
Nepean Sailing Club Clubhouse in Ottawa, Ontario
|Purpose||advocate and public voice, educator and network for recreational and competitive sailors, coaches, volunteers and events|
|Affiliations||Canadian Canoe Association, Advantage Boating; Britannia Yacht Club.|
|Website||Nepean Sailing Club|
The club was officially opened on July 29, 1979 with an initial membership of 350. Construction on the original 300 metre breakwater was completed by 1983. Griffiths Rankin Cook Architects won an architectural award in 1990 for the design of the main clubhouse.
The main areas include hand and vehicle launch ramps; green and blue gazebos; Clubhouse, Registration, Office and Washrooms; youth sailing pavilion, first aid, washrooms, changing facility; wheelchair pathway; parking and dock access.
Membership today is almost 1900 members. The club maintains its emphasis on sailing. The club has floating dock facilities for over 500 boats. The club also maintains an active dry sail program for day-sailing.
The sailing season extends from mid-April to late October. Sail training programs are active during the summer months for both youth and adults.
Every year the club hosts sailing regattas that attract sailors from across Canada and internationally. The local racing scene consists of fleet, PY and PHRF races on an almost daily basis along with special racing events on weekends throughout the season. Many racing events are held in cooperation with the nearby Britannia Yacht Club (BYC) and Club de Voile Grande-Rivière (CVGR).
Mondays typically see the women's racing. Tuesdays are PHRF. Wednesdays see 5o5s, Lasers racing one design, catamarans, and Albacores and Fireballs combining for handicap racing. Thursdays see C&C27s, Tanzer 22s, and Sharks race one design, J24s and Kirby 25s racing level, with three fleets of JAM (jib and main) racing PHRF. A distance race or regatta can be observed almost every weekend.
A number of trophies and awards are presented for evening and series events in addition to the trophies listed in Special events. The aggregate trophies awarded on basis of points earned in evening and weekend events include the Nautilus Trophy, Journal Trophy, Kelpie Cup, C&C 27 Overall Champion, and Jam Dish. Interclub awards are scored for series racing: The Chandlery Cup, Kirby 25 Best Performance Trophy, Authentic Yachts Trophy, NSC Beagle Bown, and Keepers.
Mondays typically see the women's PHRF racing and the skiffs and Lasers racing. Tuesdays are PHRF keelboats. Wednesdays see 5o5s, Lasers racing one design, catamarans, and Albacores and Fireballs combining for handicap racing. Thursdays see C&C27s, Tanzer 22s, Sharks, Mirage 24s race one design with three fleets of jib and main (JAM) racing PHRF. NSC has a racing program involving both (PHRF and JAM fleets). NSC fields teams to compete against other clubs in team racing. BYC has a regular weekday evening racing schedule and a weekend racing schedule organized by the membership. Members of the NSC High Performance Team have the opportunity to learn what it is like to compete against the best in the world, and the experience they gain at races and regattas will certainly help them as they progress in their sailing careers.
|Mondays||Women's PHRF (skippered & crewed by women)||Series I (8 Races) & II (8 Races)||The Chandlery Cup, keepers|
|Tuesdays||PHRF Keelboats||Spring Series (7 race nights), Summer Series (7 race nights), Fall series (7 race nights)||Keepers, Sugar Bowl, J.G. Hickson Memorial, B Fleet Trophy,|
|Wednesdays||BYC One-design Dinghy and Sailboard||Spring Series (7 race nights), Summer Series (7 race nights), Fall series (7 race nights)||The Don Martin Trophy, Nautilus Trophy, Keepers|
|Wednesdays||NSC One-Design Dinghy, Catamaran, Handicap Dinghy||Spring Series (7 race nights), Summer Series (7 race nights), Fall series (7 race nights)||Keepers|
|Thursdays||One-design Keelboats||Spring Series (7 race nights), Summer Series (7 race nights), Fall series (7 race nights)||Keepers|
|Thursdays||PHRF JAM Fleets||Spring Series (7 race nights), Summer Series (7 race nights), Fall series (7 race nights)||Spring/Summer Series Trophy, Sugar Bowl, Shark Aggregate Trophy, Yuile Around the Buoys, Keepers|
|Sundays||Frostbite Series - PHRF Keelboat & PFRF Keelboat & PHRF JAM & Skiffs||October (6 races, 2 per day)||Keepers|
A distance race or regatta can be observed almost every weekend. Some events are open to any member of a club of the Canadian Yachting Association. Some events are interclub, which means that boats from all sailing clubs on Lac Deschênes may participate. Many racing events are held in cooperation with the nearby Britannia Yacht Club and Club de voile Grande-Rivière. BYC & NSC have a schedule of cruising and day sailing events organized by the membership for fun, as memorials for members who serve in the Canadian Forces, and as fundraisers for local charities.
|May||Singlehanded Regatta - PRF & Sharks||BYC||The Great BYC Challenge Cup & Ragtime Trophy|
|May||Shorey Race||BYC||Constance Shorey Memorial Trophy, Corinthian Trophy, Marina Trophy, Victoria Trophy, Keepers|
|May||Spring 50 Mile Race||BYC||Artemis Trophy, Blue-Bell Trophy, Keepers|
|June||Pinhey's Point Race -ILD Race||BYC||BYC Fleet Trophy, Edwin L. Brittain Trophy, Vice Commodore's Trophy, L.S. Sherwood Tray, Forrest Tray, Evening Citizen Trophy, Director's Trophy, Keepers|
|June||MacGregor Venture Rendezvous (fun)||NSC||N/A|
|June||Jefferson Pursuit Race||BYC||pursuit race where the slowest boats start before the fastests boats|
|June||NSC One-Design Regatta, Capital City Sharp Regatta||NSC||Keepers|
|July||Canada Day Cup & Saucer Race (fun)||BYC||N/A|
|July||Hinterhoeller Regatta||BYC||Hinterhoeller Trophy|
|July||Pinhey's Point Race -ILD Race||NSC||Nautilus Trophy, Keepers|
|July||Up-river Sail & Raft-up||NSC||N/A|
|July||Quyon Race||BYC||Quyon Cup, Eun Na Mara, Oldest Boat, Quyon Open, W.L. Donnelly Memorial Trophy, Shark Trophy, B.B.C. Trophy, Quyon Trophy|
|July||Homeward Bound Race||BYC||Homeward Bound Trophy, The Tony Lawson Trophy, Keepers|
|July||BYC Cruise Week||BYC||N/A|
|July||National Capital Cup (Martins)||NSC||restricted to sailors with disabilities|
|July||Easter Seal Regatta (fun)||BYC/NSC||charity regatta to raise funds for Easter Seals (Canada) Easter Seals Society of Ottawa-Carleton|
|July||Don Hewett Memorial Regatta (juniors)||BYC||Don Hewitt Memorial Trophy|
|July||Joint Mohr Island Race - ILD Race||BYC||Craig Trophy, Negark Handicap Trophy, Shark Trophy, Thunderbird Trophy, Cook Trophy, Keepers, Scott's Restaurant Co Trophy, Lone Ranger Cup, MacDonald Plaque, Keepers|
|July||Ian Meller Memorial Regatta||BYC||The Ian Meller Memorial Trophy|
|July||Baskin's Odd Couple Race||BYC||Brule Bucket, Corrected Time Trophy, Karisa Trophy, Aston Jug|
|August||Baskin's Weekend & Baskin's Beach BBQ||BYC||N/A|
|August||Stan Carsons Memorial C&C Regatta||BYC||Special instructions issued|
|August||O'Pen Bic UNregatta||NSC||For junior racers.|
|August||National Capital Regatta||BYC||Reid & Pattee Trophy, Caveat Cup, Molson Award, Skene Trophy, The Bucket, Carl Strike Memorial Trophy, Yuile Award, BYC Y-Flyer NCR Trophy, Keepers|
|August||Joint Stony Point Race- ILD Race||NSC||Evans and Kert Trophy, Shark Trophy, SK Trophy, Keepers|
|August||Midnight Madness (fun)||NSC||After Hours Bowl, Keepers|
|August||NSC Harbourmaster's Race/BBQ (Fun)||NSC||Harbour Master's Bowl, Keepers|
|September||Armitage Race / Baskin's Weekend/Cornboil||BYC||Lt. Col C.E. Long Trophy, Hanseat Trophy, M. Norman Trophy, Calypso Bucket, Keepers|
|September||100 Mile Race||BYC||Firecracker Cup, Stage 1 trophy, Keepers|
|September||BYC Sailboard Open Regatta||BYC||Keepers|
|September||Fanfare Regatta - 505 Fleet 4 Regatta||NSC||505 Fleet 4 Trophy, Keepers|
|September||Single-handed Keelboat Race||NSC||Whippet Cup, Ottobahn Trophy, Keepers|
|September||Queen's Park Race -ILD Race||BYC||D.P. Wadell Trophy, Pritchard & Andrews Co. Trophy, Queen's Park Trophy, Shark Trophy, T. Appleton Trophy, Queen's Park Race Trophy, Keepers|
|September||Fall 50 Mile Race||BYC||Miss Peggy Trophy, Robin Hood Trophy, The Rhodes Cup, The Joan W Woods Memorial, Keepers|
|September||Nepean Cup Match Race||NSC||Special instructions will be issued|
|October||20 Mile Trophy Race -ILD Race||NSC||Brule Bowl, Keepers|
|October||BYC Club Championships||BYC|
|October||Turkey Trot (fun)||NSC||Leon's TV Trophy, Keepers|
|October||Frostbite Race (fun)||BYC||Molson Frostbite Trophy|
|November||Remembrance Day Regatta (fun)||BYC||Remembrance Day Regatta Trophy|
Nepean Sailing Club also features a restaurant named "The Galley". It is open to the public, and features a patio overlooking the harbour. The Galley can be found on the upper floor of the clubhouse, and has a large room that can be rented for events.
For birdwatchers, species in or passing through the area include Arctic tern, black tern, New World blackbirds, black brant, Canada geese, common goldeneye, common merganser, common tern, double-crested cormorants, great blue heron, green-winged teal, gulls, killdeer, northern pintails, rails, red-throated loon, ring-billed gull, songbirds, spotted sandpiper, swallows, loggerhead shrike, least bittern, and wood ducks. The fish species in the Ottawa River near BYC include brown trout, small mouth bass and walleye. The reptiles, amphibians, and salamanders include American eels, American ginseng, American bullfrog, green frog, mudpuppy, painted turtles, snapping turtles, spotted turtle, and spring peeper. The mammals in the area include beaver, coyotes, eastern chipmunks, mink, muskrat, otter, porcupine, raccoons, red foxes, red squirrels, and woodchucks.
As a Provincial Training Centre for 2012, NSC supports the training of Athletes at the Olympic level. As a Development Training Centre for 2012, NSC supports the training of Athletes from the Grassroots to the National Team Level and supports the development of Coaches from Level 1 (CANSail 1&2) to Level 4-5.
The Britannia Yacht Club is developing a joint marketing campaign with the Nepean Sailing Club to increase awareness of recreational and competitive sailing in Ottawa.
Through Advantage Boating, there are adult and children`s Learn to Sail Programs.
Media related to Nepean Sailing Club at Wikimedia CommonsAndrew Haydon Park
Andrew Haydon Park is a park on the Ottawa River in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It is situated on Carling Avenue at Holly Acres Road.
There is a bandshell for outdoor concerts and a picnic area. The Nepean Sailing Club is located nearby at Dick Bell Park. The park features walking trails, play structures and swimming.
Migrating Canada geese and shorebirds stop over along the marshy edges of the river near the park. Resident Canada geese also inhabit the park's two ponds resulting in the common feces problem associated with geese in parks.
The park was named after Andrew Haydon, former Reeve of Nepean.
The landscape-architect Donald W. Graham worked on this project.Britannia Yacht Club
The Britannia Yacht Club (BYC) is a private social club, yacht club and tennis club based in Britannia, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It was founded in 1887 by a group of cottagers. The members have contributed to the sports of yachting and tennis. The non-profit corporation celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2012.
The main entrance is on Cassels at Bradford Street.
BYC is located on an extension of land at the eastern end of Lac Deschênes near the Deschênes Rapids on the Ottawa River. A land block owned by the National Capital Commission on the south side of the harbour is leased to the BYC. The area immediately south of the property is occupied by residences of Britannia Bay. To the south and east of the property, the land is owned by the City of Ottawa and is occupied by the Britannia Water Treatment Plant, and the Britannia Conservation area. To the north, is the Town of Aylmer, Quebec across the 800 m span of the Deschênes rapids. The harbour was built from an abandoned power canal, which lay beside the club property. This harbour has been expanded twice since its original development. The harbour water level is controlled by a system of stop logs at its entrance. The harbour is a well-protected basin consisting of a main harbour and an inner harbour, which provide 250 wet moorings of the Mediterranean type or floating finger docks. There are unlimited dry mooring spaces for ramp-launched boats and for crane-launched keel boats of less than 1,360 kg.BYC is a member of the Ontario Sailing Association, Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons, and the Canadian Yachting Association. Its officers include a Commodore, vice-commodore, rear-commodore, secretary and treasurer.Club de Voile Grande-Rivière
The Club de Voile Grande-Rivière (CVGR) is a yacht club located on the Quebec side of Lac Deschênes in the city of Gatineau, more specifically within the district of Aylmer, in the vicinity of the Parc des Cèdres.Crystal Beach, Ottawa
Crystal Beach is a neighbourhood in Bay Ward in the west end of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Prior to amalgamation in 2001 it was in the City of Nepean. The neighbourhood is triangular in shape, and its boundaries can broadly be described as Carling Avenue to the northeast, Moodie Drive to the west, and Corkstown Road to the south. Crystal Beach was established in the 1960s. Primarily developed by Minto Developments Inc., many of the residences in Crystal Beach are modified versions of the five original models of homes originally built in the neighbourhood. The neighbourhood was later extended in 1974 around Carling via Corkstown Road with townhomes and in 1988 with Maki Park. Some newer portions of the neighbourhood were built by Garand Homes. Together with the Lakeview neighbourhood south of Corkstown and the Rocky Point neighbourhood north of Carling, the area is part of the Crystal Beach/Lakeview Community Association.According to the Canada 2011 Census, the total population of the neighbourhood was 2,416.Dick Bell
Richard Albert "Dick" Bell, (September 4, 1913 – March 20, 1988) was a member of the House of Commons of Canada representing Carleton from 1957 to 1963 and from 1965 to 1968.
He was born at Britannia Bay in Nepean Township, Ontario in 1913. He served as solicitor for Nepean Township and the City of Nepean.
Elected as a Progressive Conservative Member of Parliament in the government of John Diefenbaker, Bell was Minister of Citizenship and Immigration from 1962 to 1963.
Dick Bell Park on the Ottawa River, home of the Nepean Sailing Club, was named in his honour.
He died in Ottawa in 1988. He is buried in Pinecrest Cemetery in Ottawa.
The family home, "Fairfields", 3080 Richmond Rd. where he was born and died was donated to the city of Ottawa in 2000. Fairfields Heritage Property was built in the 1840s. The residence was rebuilt in the Gothic Revival style after a fire in 1870. The heritage home, which sits on 1.84 acres of the prominent Bell family’s once extensive farm, was included amongst other architecturally interesting and historically significant buildings in Doors Open Ottawa, held June 2 and 3, 2012.He was one of the founding partners of the law firm Bell Baker LLP located in Ottawa, Ontario.Dick Bell Park
Dick Bell Park is a public park in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, on the southern shore of the Ottawa River. Admission and parking are free. The park is home to the Nepean Sailing Club. The park's area, according to the city, is 18 ha; 45 acres. The official address of the park is 3259 Carling Avenue, Nepean.Gladstone Theatre
The Gladstone is a live theatre in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. The Gladstone is the home of live theatre produced by a partnership of independent professional theatre companies. It is located on Gladstone Avenue just west of Preston Street. It is the former home of the Great Canadian Theatre Company.Green Island (Rideau River)
Green Island in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, is an island at the junction of the Rideau River, just off Sussex Drive in Ottawa at the Rideau Falls at the confluence with the Ottawa River. It is situated near the neighbourhood of New Edinburgh.
To the west of the island is the National Research Council, and Global Affairs Canada (formerly Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada); to the east is 24 Sussex Drive and the embassy of France. On either side of the falls are facilities for a hydroelectric power plant.
Down the Rideau river are the ruins of a rail bridge that once led to Ottawa's Union Station.Horaceville, Ottawa
Horaceville is a historic site located on the Ottawa River in eastern Ontario, Canada. The site remained the property of the heirs of Hamnett Kirkes Pinhey until the 1970s, when the property was sold to the township. Today, The 88-acre (360,000 m2) heritage site is owned and operated by the City of Ottawa and Pinhey's home serves as a museum. The museum is open May 14 through August 31, Wednesdays to Sundays, 11 am to 5 pm. This location is also known as Pinhey's Point Historic Site. The property was designated by the City of Ottawa under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act as having cultural heritage value or interest. A bronze plaque erected on the site by the Ontario Heritage Foundation describes the property's history: "Hamnet Kirkes Pinhey 1784 - 1857 - A merchant and ship owner in his native England, Pinhey came to Upper Canada in 1820. For his services as King's messenger during the Napoleonic Wars, he received a 1000 acres land grant on the Ottawa River. Within a decade he had built up an estate which he named Horaceville after his elder son. In addition to a manor house and barns, it included mills, a store and church. Pinhey took a leading part in township and district affairs. He was appointed to the Legislative Council in 1847, served as Warden of the Dalhousie District, and as the first Warden of Carleton County. Horaceville remained in family hands until 1959 when it was purchased by the National Capital Commission." The site, which is a popular destination for boaters, cyclists, and picnics, consists of 88 acres (360,000 m2) of park land, a nearly 200-year-old stone manor house, two barns, scenic views of the River and several stone ruins. The manor house acts as a historic house museum with furnished rooms and temporary exhibits. The City of Ottawa offers multiple programs for families throughout its operating season (May - August) as well as some programs in the off-season. The park itself is open year-round. Admission to the museum is by donation; some of the programs and special events charge a small fee for participation. The venue can be rented for weddings, anniversaries, or any other special celebration.Lac Deschênes
Lac Deschênes is a 44 kilometres (27 miles) long lake on the Ottawa River that runs from the Chats Falls Dam near Fitzroy Harbour in the west to the Deschênes Rapids in the east. It is a little over 3.2 kilometres (2.0 miles) wide at its widest point and little more than a few hundred metres at its narrowest. The provincial border between Ontario and Quebec runs through the length of the lake with the City of Ottawa on its southern shore and the city of Gatineau on much of its northern shore. The shoreline is mostly gently sloped and composed of broken limestone interspersed with smaller sections of aquatic shoreline vegetation or mudflats. Above the Chats Falls Dam is Lac des Chats. Below Britannia is a series of rapids and waterfalls culminating with the Chaudière Falls. Between the rapids and the falls, the river is not navigable.Laurier House
Laurier House is a National Historic Site in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (in the Sandy Hill district). It was formerly the residence of two Canadian prime ministers: Sir Wilfrid Laurier (for whom the house is named) and William Lyon Mackenzie King. The home is now a historic house museum that is open to the public for guided tours from Victoria Day in May until Thanksgiving in October. Its address is 335 Laurier Avenue East.List of tourist attractions in Ottawa
The following is a list of attractions in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and surrounding area.Martin 16
The Martin 16 is a Canadian trailerable sailboat, that was designed by Don Martin of Vancouver, British Columbia, specifically as a boat for disabled sailors. It was first built in 1995.Nepean Point
Nepean Point is a hill with scenic lookout in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, overlooking the Ottawa River, Parliament, the Canadian Museum of History, and other features of downtown Ottawa and Gatineau. It is located between the National Gallery of Canada and Alexandra Bridge.
At the peak of the hill is a statue of French explorer Samuel de Champlain holding his famous astrolabe upside-down. It was made by sculptor Hamilton MacCarthy in 1915.Previously, the statue also featured a kneeling First Nations (Anishinabe) scout, added in 1918 to "signify how the native people helped Champlain navigate through the waters of the Ottawa River", but this has been relocated to nearby Major's Hill Park.The small amphitheatre on the point is known as "Astrolabe Theatre", presumably a reference to Champlain.New Edinburgh
New Edinburgh is a neighbourhood in Rideau-Rockcliffe Ward, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It is located to the northeast of the downtown core. It is bordered on the west by the Rideau River, to the north by the Ottawa River, to the south by Beechwood Avenue, and on the east by Princess Avenue, Lisgar Road, Rideau Terrace and Springfield Road.The area is an older, affluent neighbourhood. The Governor General of Canada's large residence and grounds are located in New Edinburgh, as is 24 Sussex Drive, official residence of the Prime Minister of Canada.
The neighbourhood is home to several embassies and consulates, including those of Spain, South Africa, France, India, Vietnam, and Slovakia. Civil servants (in particular, employees of the nearby Global Affairs Canada) compose a fair portion of the population. Like Rockcliffe Park, the neighbourhood is largely English-speaking, in comparison to the French-speaking district of Vanier to the south.
The total population of New Edinburgh is 3108 (2011 Census).Rideau Falls
The Rideau Falls are two waterfalls located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, where the Rideau River empties into the Ottawa River. The falls are divided by Green Island, with Ottawa's Old City Hall just to the south. To the west of the falls is the headquarters of the National Research Council while to the east are the Canada and the World Pavilion and the French Embassy. The falls were named by the early French for their resemblance to a curtain, or rideau in French. The Rideau River was later named after the falls. The Rideau Canal was constructed to bypass these falls and the Hog's Back Falls.Second City Hall (Ottawa)
Ottawa, Ontario's second city hall was built in 1877 on Elgin Street between Queen and Albert Streets and next to Ottawa's First City Hall.
Built by architects Horsey and Sheard of Ottawa, the Second Empire French and Italian Style had one tall tower and three smaller ones. The building used Gloucester Blue Limestone and Ohio sandstone.
The second city hall lasted until a fire destroyed it in 1931. The next permanent city hall was not built until 1958. In the interim the municipal government was housed at the Transportation Building.Winterlude
Winterlude is an annual winter festival held in Ottawa, Ontario and Gatineau, Quebec (collectively known as the National Capital Region).
Winterlude is run by the Department of Canadian Heritage and was started in 1979. The event is one of Ottawa's most important tourist draws, attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. In 2007, it set a new attendance record of an estimated 1.6 million visits to one of the four Winterlude sites.
|Sport in Ottawa|
|Parks, squares, and|