Naval Stores is a heritage-listed storehouse at 34 Amesbury Street, Kangaroo Point, Queensland, Australia. It was built from 1886 to 1900s. It is also known as Naval Brigade Stores and Naval Depot. It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 October 1992.
Brisbane-based adventure company, Riverlife Adventure Centre, operates from the Naval Stores premises.
|Naval Stores, Kangaroo Point|
Naval Stores, Kangaroo Point
|Location||34 Amesbury Street, Kangaroo Point, Queensland, Australia|
|Design period||1870s - 1890s (late 19th century)|
|Built||1886 - 1900s|
|Official name: Naval Stores (former), Naval Brigade Stores, Naval Depot|
|Type||state heritage (archaeological, built)|
|Designated||21 October 1992|
|Significant period||1880s-1900s (fabric)|
|Significant components||slab/s - concrete, store/s / storeroom / storehouse, hut/shack, toilet block/earth closet/water closet, turntable, changing rooms/dressing shed, magazine / explosives store, wharf/dock/quay, slipway, steps/stairway, paint/chemical store|
Location of Naval Stores, Kangaroo Point in Queensland
Naval Stores, Kangaroo Point (Australia)
The original Naval Stores comprised a pair of two-storeyed iron-clad stud-framed buildings and a wharf, which were constructed between 1886 and 1888. The complex has been used throughout its naval and army history for two main purposes, as a storage depot and for training.
In 1884, at the height of the Russian war scare, the Queensland colonial government commissioned two gunboats, the Gayundah and Paluma. In 1885 the gunboats arrived and with the government's acquisition of other vessels the development of a naval depot for storage, repairs and training became necessary. The Naval Stores were built on the site of a former Kangaroo Point quarry (now known as the Kangaroo Point Cliffs).
The ground floor of Store No 1 contained the battery and lecture rooms used for training. The four rooms upstairs were used for stores and carpenters' shops. By 1913 upstairs was partitioned to provide for an orderly room, instructors' mess room and several small storerooms.
After the 1893 floods, Store No 1 boat shed was replaced with a detached shed, a bridge linking the two stores was built, and an extension to the cliff stairs was added. About 1900 several additions to the site included the paint store, magazine, turntable between the stores and some first floor ceilings were lined.
As the Queensland Naval Brigade developed, further depots were located at Maryborough, Rockhampton, Townsville, Cairns and Cooktown. Other colonies also developed their naval and military forces. The depot was the base of the Queensland Navy until the formation of the Royal Australian Navy after Federation.
Radio communication history was made in 1903 when the first Australian ship to use wireless telegraphy, the Gayundah, sent signals from Moreton Bay to the Stores. Alterations to the stores and additional structures were built during the occupation of the site by the Royal Australian Navy. The RAN Reserve vacated the site in 1959 and it was occupied by the Australian Army till 1984.
The flagpoles, semaphore and several other structures have disappeared since 1984.
In 1987 the property was purchased by the Brisbane City Council, tenders were called for its development and a fire partially destroyed Store No 1. The unoccupied Store No 2 has suffered degradation from vandals and white ant infestation.
The complex stands on a narrow strip of river flat with steep cliffs and includes the following items:
The site remains a strong visual element of the riverscape.
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of Queensland's history.
The former Naval Stores provide evidence of the Queensland Marine Defence Force which was an integral part of the Queensland colonial defences.
The place is important because of its aesthetic significance.
The former Naval Stores are significant as part of the historic cityscape at Kangaroo Point which includes the former Kangaroo Point quarry, St Mary's Church group and the linking cliff face stairs.
The place has a strong or special association with a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons.
The Stores are significant for their continuous association with both colonial and Commonwealth defence forces.
Media related to Naval Stores, Kangaroo Point at Wikimedia CommonsMilitary history of Australia
The military history of Australia spans the nation's 230-year modern history, from the early Australian frontier wars between Aboriginals and Europeans to the ongoing conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan in the early 21st century. Although this history is short when compared to that of many other nations, Australia has been involved in numerous conflicts and wars, and war and military service have been significant influences on Australian society and national identity, including the Anzac spirit. The relationship between war and Australian society has also been shaped by the enduring themes of Australian strategic culture and its unique security dilemma.
As British offshoots, the Australian colonies participated in Britain's small wars of the 19th century, while later as a federated dominion, and then an independent nation, Australia fought in the First World War and Second World War, as well as in the wars in Korea, Malaya, Borneo and Vietnam during the Cold War. In the Post-Vietnam era Australian forces have been involved in numerous international peacekeeping missions, through the United Nations and other agencies, including in the Sinai, Persian Gulf, Rwanda, Somalia, East Timor and the Solomon Islands, as well as many overseas humanitarian relief operations, while more recently they have also fought as part of multi-lateral forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. In total, nearly 103,000 Australians died during the course of these conflicts.Naval Offices, Brisbane
Naval Offices is a heritage-listed office building at 3 Edward Street, Brisbane City, City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It was designed by Department of Public Works and built from 1900 to 1901 by J Mason. It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 March 2013.