This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places entries in Yonkers, New York. See also National Register of Historic Places listings in Westchester County, New York for all others in the county.
This is intended to be a complete list of properties and districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places in Yonkers, New York. The locations of National Register properties and districts (at least for all showing latitude and longitude coordinates below) may be seen in an online map by clicking on "Map of all coordinates".
|Albany (Albany) – Allegany – Bronx – Broome – Cattaraugus – Cayuga – Chautauqua – Chemung – Chenango – Clinton – Columbia – Cortland – Delaware – Dutchess (Poughkeepsie, Rhinebeck) – Erie (Buffalo) – Essex – Franklin – Fulton – Genesee – Greene – Hamilton – Herkimer – Jefferson – Kings – Lewis – Livingston – Madison – Monroe (Rochester) – Montgomery – Nassau – New York (Below 14th Street, 14th to 59th Streets, 59th to 110th Streets, Above 110th Street, Islands) – Niagara – Oneida – Onondaga – Ontario – Orange – Orleans – Oswego – Otsego – Putnam – Queens – Rensselaer – Richmond – Rockland – St. Lawrence – Saratoga – Schenectady – Schoharie – Schuyler – Seneca – Steuben – Suffolk – Sullivan – Tioga – Tompkins – Ulster – Warren – Washington – Wayne – Westchester (Northern, Southern, New Rochelle, Peekskill, Yonkers) – Wyoming – Yates|
|||Name on the Register||Image||Date listed||Location||City or town||Description|
|1||Bell Place-Locust Avenue Historic District||August 29, 1985
|Roughly bounded by Cromwell Pl., Locust Hill Ave., Baldwin Pl. & N. Broadway||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|2||John Copcutt Mansion||September 12, 1985
|239 Nepperhan Ave.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|3||Old Croton Aqueduct||December 2, 1974
|Runs N from Yonkers to New Croton Dam||Yonkers||Extends into other parts of Westchester County.|
|4||Delavan Terrace Historic District||September 15, 1983
|Roughly bounded by Delavan Terr. and Palisade and Park Aves.||Yonkers||Small residential street with homes of many important local residents in early 20th century|
|5||Ethan Flagg House-Blessed Sacrament Monastery||August 12, 1998
|23 Park Ave.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|6||Halcyon Place Historic District||January 11, 1991
|Halcyon Pl.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|7||Eleazer Hart House||July 29, 1982
|243 Bronxville Rd.||Yonkers||Nomination Form |
|8||Leffingwell–Batcheller House||February 23, 2015
|250 Palisade Ave.||Yonkers||Large R. H. Robertson Queen Anne Style mansion from late 1880s|
|9||Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Hall of Records||September 3, 2014
|759 Palmer Rd.||Yonkers||1906 neoclassical building is one of the earliest built by an insurance company to house archives|
|10||Mott Mill||January 28, 2004
|11-23 St. Casimir Ave.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|11||Philipsburgh Building||May 22, 2002
|2-8 Hudson St.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|12||Philipse Manor Hall||October 15, 1966
|Warburton Ave. and Dock St.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|13||Plashbourne Estate||August 2, 2007
|51 Carlton Rd.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|14||Proctor's Theater||November 21, 2008
|53 S. Broadway||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|15||Public Bath House No. 2||October 21, 1985
|27 Vineyard Ave.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|16||Public Bath House No. 3||October 21, 1985
|48 Yonkers Ave.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|17||Public Bath House No. 4||October 21, 1985
|138 Linden St.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|18||Public School No. 13||April 18, 2007
|160 McLean Ave.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|19||Sherwood House||May 10, 1984
|340 Tuckahoe Rd.||Yonkers||Now a house museum operated by the Yonkers Historical Society|
|20||Alexander Smith Carpet Mills Historic District||August 11, 1983
|Roughly bounded by Saw Mill River Rd., Orchard St., Lake and Ashburton Aves.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|21||St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church||July 29, 1982
|One Hudson St.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|22||W. B. Thompson Mansion||October 29, 1982
|1061 N. Broadway||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|23||John Bond Trevor House||June 19, 1972
|511 Warburton Ave.||Yonkers||Part of Hudson River Museum|
|24||Untermyer Park||May 31, 1974
|Warburton Ave. and N. Broadway S. of jct. with Odell Ave.||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|25||US Post Office-Yonkers||May 11, 1989
|79-81 Main St.||Yonkers||1927 stone building shows hints of Art Deco in its Classical Revival styling|
|26||Yonkers Trolley Barn||March 6, 2002
|92 Main St.||Yonkers||1903 Renaissance Revival brick building is last remaining trolley barn in county. Was city offices afterward; now used as apartments.|
|27||Yonkers Water Works||July 21, 1982
|Properties on Saw Mill River Road, Tuckahoe Road, and at the Grassy Sprain Reservoir dam||Yonkers||Nomination form|
|||Name on the Register||Image||Date listed||Date removed||Location||City or town||Summary|
|1||Edwin H. Armstrong House||January 7, 1976|
|March 5, 1986||1032 Warburton Ave.||Yonkers|
The Alexander Smith Carpet Mills Historic District is a national historic district located at Yonkers, Westchester County, New York. It includes 85 contributing buildings. It encompasses 19 stylistically varied mill buildings and six rows of workers' housing. They were developed between 1871 and 1930 along the banks of the Saw Mill River. The main mill building was originally built in 1871 and expanded between 1876 and 1883. It is a three-story, rectangular building, 52 bays wide and five bays deep in the Second Empire style. It features a four-story tower and a five-story tower. The workers' housing, known as Moquette Row, North and South, was built between 1881 and 1886. Many workers that lived in this housing originally were immigrants to the United States. They came from Scotland, Ireland, and Ukraine. The carpet works were developed by Alexander Smith (1818-1878) The company closed the Yonkers mills and relocated to Greenville, Mississippi, in 1954. At the time of its closing, there were 2,400 who worked at the carpet mill. At the time of World War II, there was 7,000 employees who worked at the mill.It was later absorbed into Mohawk Carpet, later Mohasco Corporation. The carpet weaving industry was revolutionized by looms invented in this plant by Alexander Smith and Halcyon Skinner. Skinner, an engineer, designed a loom know as the Axminster power loom (also known as the Moquette Loom), which revolutionized the production of carpets. A patent for this loom was created in 1877 and royalty rights were sold to European and American companies at the rate of twenty cents per yard of carpet produced.It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Today, members of the YoHo Artist Community work out of two of buildings, located at 540 and 578 Nepperhan Avenue.Delavan Terrace Historic District
The Delavan Terrace Historic District is located along the street of that name in Yonkers, New York, United States. It consists of 10 buildings (12 when originally designated), all houses. In 1983 it was recognized as a historic district and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.The houses were home to a number of prominent industrialists in Yonkers at the time, since they enjoyed an excellent view over the Hudson River. They are built in Late Victorian and other turn of the 20th century revival architectural styles. One has one of the few remaining Eastlake interiors in the city. The earliest house in the district, the Smith-Collins House, dated to 1854 with an 1875 renovation, has since been demolished, spurring historic preservation efforts throughout Yonkers. Most of the district was built after 1900.Originally it was home to affluent residents, such as local business executives at the Otis Elevator Company and the Alexander Smith Carpet Mills. Actress Billie Burke, an early silent film star who later played Glinda the Good Witch in The Wizard of Oz, lived on Delavan Terrace in the 1920s after her marriage to Florenz Ziegfeld, when she was concentrating on her stage career on Broadway. The district has become more middle-class over time as Yonkers has grown and suburbanized around it. All the remaining houses are privately owned. Many remain intact.Glenview Mansion
Glenview Mansion, listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the John Bond Trevor House, is located on Warburton Avenue in Yonkers, New York, United States. It is a stone house erected during the 1870s in an eclectic Late Victorian architectural style from a design by Charles W. Clinton. It was listed on the Register in 1972.
It is one of the few remaining buildings in Yonkers made of locally quarried greystone. Inside there is fine Eastlake cabinetry by the prominent Philadelphia cabinetmaker Daniel Pabst and other decorations and finishes; it is considered one of the finest interiors in that style in an American building open to the public.Financier John Bond Trevor built the house as a small country estate that was nevertheless close enough to New York City to allow him to commute to his job in the city by rail. At the time he and his family moved in, it was surrounded by similar houses. By the time Trevor's second wife died in the early 1920s, Glenview had become the center of a suburban neighborhood. The design of the house and the way the Trevors lived there epitomizes the transition between country living and the modern suburb.
In 1929, after the Trevor family had moved out, the house became home to the Hudson River Museum for the next 45 years. The museum has since expanded but the house remains part of the complex. Its rooms have been refurbished in the style of the period, and are open to visitors. Renovations in the early 21st century have better integrated the house with the rest of the museum.National Register of Historic Places listings in southern Westchester County, New York
This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in southern Westchester County, New York, excluding the cities of New Rochelle and Yonkers, which have separate lists of their own.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in the southern half of Westchester County, New York, United States. The following communities comprise this region:
Town of Eastchester, including the villages of Bronxville and Tuckahoe, and the hamlet of Crestwood
Town of Greenburgh, excluding Tarrytown but including the villages of Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Hastings-on-Hudson, and Irvington, and the hamlets of Edgemont and Hartsdale
Village and town of Harrison
Town of Mamaroneck, including the villages of Larchmont and Mamaroneck
City of Mount Vernon
Town of Pelham, which is the villages of Pelham and Pelham Manor
City of Rye
Town of Rye, including the villages of Port Chester and Rye Brook
Village and town of Scarsdale
City of White PlainsLatitude and longitude coordinates are provided for many National Register properties and districts; these locations may be seen together in a Google map.Of the 230 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county, 87, including six National Historic Landmarks (NHLs), are on this list. Two, the Bronx River Parkway and Old Croton Aqueduct, the latter an NHL, are linear listings included on both this list and the northern Westchester list.
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted May 10, 2019.United States Post Office (Yonkers, New York)
The U.S. Post Office for Yonkers, New York, is located on Main Street downtown, opposite the city's train station. It is a two-story stone building erected in the late 1920s. It is located in the 10702 ZIP Code, but serves the entire city, which has other ZIP codes between 10701 and 10710. In 1989 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, along with many other historic post offices in the state.Secretary of the Treasury William Gibbs McAdoo personally chose the site. The building is one of many of those designed by the Treasury Department's Office of the Supervising Architect under James A. Wetmore. Since it was located in a growing city, it is larger than most other post offices built around the same time. In its Classical Revival design hints of the emerging Art Deco style can be seen. It remains largely intact today.W. B. Thompson Mansion
The W. B. Thompson Mansion, also known as Alder Manor, is a historic home located on North Broadway (U.S. Route 9) in Yonkers, New York, United States. It is an early 20th-century mansion designed by Carrère and Hastings in the Renaissance Revival architectural style. In 1982, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.It was built by William Boyce Thompson, a mining tycoon and financier, as his weekend home. At the turn of the century, large riverside estates characterized much of Yonkers; today the Thompson Mansion is one of the few to have survived the city's 20th-century urbanization. The Thompson family lived there until the mid-20th century; afterwards it was willed to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York and became Mary Elizabeth Seton High School, the first Catholic school in Yonkers.
After ten years as a high school, it was upgraded to a junior college. A few years after merging with Iona College, the campus was closed. While the other buildings on the property were repurposed, the mansion fell into neglect and was looted until Tara Circle, an Irish American cultural organization, bought it from the city. To raise money for its restoration, Tara Circle holds occasional events there and rents it out for weddings and filming for movies such as Mona Lisa Smile and A Beautiful Mind.Yonkers, New York
Yonkers () is a city in Westchester County, New York. It is the fourth most populous city in the U.S. state of New York, behind New York City, Buffalo, and Rochester. The population of Yonkers was 195,976 as enumerated in the 2010 United States Census and is estimated to have increased by 2.5% to 200,807 in 2016. It is an inner suburb of New York City, directly to the north of the Bronx and approximately two miles (3 km) north of the northernmost point in Manhattan.
Yonkers' downtown is centered on a plaza known as Getty Square, where the municipal government is located. The downtown area also houses significant local businesses and non-profits, and serves as a major retail hub for Yonkers and the northwest Bronx.
The city is home to several attractions, including Untermyer Park; Hudson River Museum; Saw Mill River daylighting, wherein a parking lot was removed to uncover a river; Science Barge; Sherwood House; and Yonkers Raceway, a harness racing track that has renovated its grounds and clubhouse and added legalized video slot machine gambling in 2006 in a "racino" called Empire City.
Major shopping areas are located in Getty Square, on South Broadway, at the Cross County Shopping Center and Westchester's Ridge Hill, and along Central Park Avenue, informally called "Central Ave" by area residents, a name it takes officially a few miles north in White Plains.
Yonkers is known as the "City of Seven Hills" which includes Park Hill, Nodine Hill, Ridge Hill, Cross Hill, Locust Hill, Glen Hill, and Church Hill.Yonkers Trolley Barn
The former Yonkers Trolley Barn is located on Main Street in Yonkers, New York, United States. It is a massive steel frame brick building in the Renaissance Revival style built at the beginning of the 20th century. In 2002 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the last remaining trolley barn in Westchester County and the only remnant of Yonkers' trolley system.After a half-century of use in the city's trolley network with its hub in Getty Square (downtown Yonkers), it was taken out of service. For another two decades it served as a city government office building. It was then vacant for almost 30 years, until a developer converted it into loft apartments, gutting the interior in the process.
After the partners in that effort were unable to complete the building due to the lawsuits they filed against each other, another developer bought it and finished the project. Today it is home to many tenants. A chase scene in the film Catch Me If You Can was filmed on the sidewalks around it. In 2014, a local brewery announced that it would be moving into the Trolley Barn.