This is a list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in Isle of Wight County, Virginia.
This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Isle of Wight County, Virginia, United States. The locations of National Register properties and districts for which the latitude and longitude coordinates are included below, may be seen in a Google map.
There are 19 properties and districts listed on the National Register in the county, including 1 National Historic Landmark. Another property was once listed, but has since been removed.
|||Name on the Register||Image||Date listed||Location||City or town||Description|
|1||Basses Choice-Days Point Archeological District||July 28, 1983
|2||Boykin's Tavern||June 19, 1974
|West of U.S. Route 258||Isle of Wight|
|3||Fort Boykin Archaeological Site (44IW20)||August 1, 1985
|Fort Boykin Trail||Smithfield||Now a county park.|
|4||Fort Huger||April 16, 2008
|5||Four Square||July 26, 1979
|West of Smithfield on Foursquare Rd.||Smithfield|
|6||P. D. Gwaltney, Jr., House||January 27, 1999
|304 Church St.||Smithfield|
|7||Ivy Hill Cemetery||April 4, 2007
|West of N. Church St.||Smithfield|
|8||Joseph Jordan House||June 22, 1979
|Northeast of Raynor on Dews Plantation Rd.||Raynor|
|9||Oak Crest||January 21, 1999
|34457 Lee's Mill Rd.||Franklin|
|10||Old Isle of Wight Courthouse||September 15, 1970
|Northeastern corner of Main and Mason Sts.||Smithfield|
|11||Col. Josiah Parker Family Cemetery||April 27, 2004
|Approximately 50 yards from the junction of Old Macklesfield Rd. and Macklesfield Ct.||Smithfield|
|12||Poplar Hill||August 18, 1995
|7968 Purvis Ln., 0.9 miles northwest of its junction with Wrenns Mill Rd.||Smithfield|
|13||William Rand Tavern||May 27, 2004
|112 W. Main St.||Smithfield|
|14||Henry Saunders House||May 19, 2004
|13009 E. Windsor Boulevard||Windsor|
|15||William Scott Farmstead||January 25, 1991
|Shiloh Dr., east of its junction with Lovers Ln.||Windsor|
|16||Smithfield Historic District||July 2, 1973
|Roughly bounded by the Pagan River, Little Creek, and the town line||Smithfield|
|17||St. Luke's Church||October 15, 1966
|4 miles south of Smithfield on U.S. Route 258||Smithfield||Built in 1682; one of the oldest surviving brick churches in the Thirteen Colonies and among the oldest existing English churches in America.|
|18||Robert Tynes House||March 21, 2007
|13060 U.S. Route 258||Smithfield|
|19||Windsor Castle Farm||August 2, 2000
|301 Jericho Rd.||Smithfield|
|||Name on the Register||Image||Date listed||Date removed||Location||City or town||Summary|
|1||Wolftrap Farm||October 15, 1974|
|September 18, 2017||Northwest of Smithfield off Emmanuel Church Rd.||Smithfield||Dismantled.|
The Basses Choice/Days Point Archeological District is a large area (more than 400 acres (160 ha)) of coastal Isle of Wight County, Virginia, that is of archaeological interest. It is located in the area between the Pagan River and the James River, north of Smithfield. The point of land at the confluence of the two rivers has been known as Day's Point since Virginia was settled by English colonists in the 17th century. Land on the point was granted to Captain John Day, and the area was known as Warrosquyoake Shire before it was renamed Isle of Wight County. In 1621 Nathaniel Basse was granted land that bordered Pagan Bay. Basse settled colonists on this land in 1622. His house was burned in the Great Massacre of 1622, when a significant number of settlers in Warrosquyoake were killed by Native Americans. Basse's settlement was rebuilt, and he was reported as owning 300 acres (120 ha) in 1625.The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.Fort Boykin
Fort Boykin is a historic site in Isle of Wight County, Virginia, located along the James River. The history of the site is believed to date back to 1623 when colonists were ordered to build a fort to protect them from attacking Native Americans or Spanish marauders. The original fort, called The Castle or The Fort at Warroskoyack, would have had a triangular shape and been surrounded by a ditch. The earthworks would have been topped by palisade walls. As those threats became less of a concern, the fort was eventually abandoned.
During Bacon's Rebellion in 1677, Fort Boykin was active according to the journal of the ship Young Prince.
During the American Revolution, the area where The Castle was located was refortified. The new fort was named Fort Francis Boykin in honor of a local officer in the Continental Army, who was then the owner of the site. It was also known as the Fort at the Rocks, the Rocks being the name of the adjacent plantation . What little was left of The Castle was enlarged upon with new ramparts and gun emplacements added. Military records list no engagements with the enemy either at the fort or in its vicinity and after the British surrender in 1781, the fort was yet again abandoned.
The fort is believed to have been reworked again during the War of 1812 when it was enlarged to the shape of a five-pointed star. Although the records do not reveal any direct engagements with the fort, it is known that the British ship HMS Plantagenet lay offshore in the river for several months. During that time, the British attempted to land at the wharf of The Rocks plantation, only to be beaten back by the men stationed at the fort. After the war was over, the fort was left to the elements.
The American Civil War brought a renewed interest in the fort by the Confederate army, and the size was doubled from that of its previous incarnation.
Between June 1861 and May 1862, the Confederate Army cleared, refurbished and refortified Fort Boykin as one in a series of earthworks design to prevent invasion by the Union, whose buildup at the mouth of the James River posed a severe threat to Richmond. Commander of the Virginia forces Robert E. Lee ordered Col. Andrew Talcott, State Engineer of Virginia, to redesign Fort Boykin. Similar defensive works were also in place such as Fort Huger, Mulberry Island, Jamestown Island and Drewery's Bluff.
In May 1862, the fort was fired upon by a Union Navy fleet consisting of the USS Galena, Aroostook and Port Royal. Realizing that their guns were no match to the superior Union guns, the soldiers manning the fort retreated. Union soldiers who came ashore a few days later destroyed what they could and blew up the powder magazine. For the remainder of the war, the site was used by the Confederate Signal Corps among whose ranks included poet Sidney Lanier.
After the Civil War, the fort was no longer to be used as a military installation and was again left to be overgrown shadow of itself. The property was bought in 1908 and a house was built inside its earthworks. After the last owner died in 1976, the fort was given to the state for public use. Today the fort remains largely intact, but most of the front wall facing the river has eroded away. It is now the property of Isle of Wight County, and is a public park. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985 for its archaeological potential.Isle of Wight County, Virginia
Isle of Wight County is a county located in the Hampton Roads region of the U.S. state of Virginia. It was named after the Isle of Wight, in the Solent, from where many of its early colonists had come. As of the 2010 census, the population was 35,270. Its county seat is Isle of Wight.Isle of Wight County is located in the Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC Metropolitan Statistical Area. Its northeastern boundary is on the coast of Hampton Roads waterway.
Isle of Wight County features two incorporated towns, Smithfield and Windsor. The first courthouse for the county was built in Smithfield in 1750. The original courthouse and its associated tavern (The Smithfield Inn) are still standing.
As the county population developed, leaders thought they needed a county seat near the center of the area. They built a new courthouse near the center of the county in 1800. The 1800 brick courthouse and its associated tavern (Boykin's Tavern) are still standing, as are the 1822 clerk's offices nearby. Some additions have been made. The 1800 courthouse is used daily, serving as the government chambers for the Board of Supervisors, as well as the meeting hall for the School Board. The chambers are sometimes used as a court for civil trials if the new courthouse is fully in use. The new courthouse opened in 2010; it is across the street from the sheriff's office and county offices complex.
Municipalities and communities of Isle of Wight County, Virginia, United States