The Museum of the Center for the Acropolis Studies (Greek: Κέντρο Μελετών Ακροπόλεως) is a museum in Athens, Greece, a part of the new Acropolis Museum and its research workshops. It is housed in the Weiler Building, named after the Bavarian engineer who designed it in 1834 and constructed it in 1836.
After serving as a military hospital and a gendarmes barracks, Weiler Building was remodelled from 1985 to 1987 and was converted to a museum. Its collections include casts of the Parthenon sculptures, plaster models of the Acropolis illustrating the architectural development of the monuments from the neolithic to present times, and a permanent exhibition on the works of conservation and restoration and exhibits concerning the Erechtheion and other Acropolis monuments.
|Center for the Acropolis Studies|
Κέντρο Μελετών Ακροπόλεως
|Location||Weiler Building, Athens, Greece|
The Acropolis Museum (Greek: Μουσείο Ακρόπολης, Mouseio Akropolis) is an archaeological museum focused on the findings of the archaeological site of the Acropolis of Athens. The museum was built to house every artifact found on the rock and on the surrounding slopes, from the Greek Bronze Age to Roman and Byzantine Greece. It also lies over the ruins of a part of Roman and early Byzantine Athens.
The museum was founded in 2003, while the Organization of the Museum was established in 2008. It opened to the public on 20 June 2009. Nearly 4,000 objects are exhibited over an area of 14,000 square metres. The Organization for the Construction of the new museum is chaired by Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Professor Emeritus of Archaeology, Dimitrios Pandermalis.List of museums in Greece
This is a list of museums in Greece by regional unit.Makrygianni, Athens
Makrygianni or Makriyanni (Greek: Μακρυγιάννη, pronounced [makɾiˈʝani]) is a neighborhood of Athens, Greece. Also known as Acropolis, it is located in the south side of Acropolis and bounded between the avenues Dionysiou Areopagitou and Syngrou. The district is named after Ioannis Makrygiannis, Greek general of the Greek War of Independence, who used to own a house and fields in the area. Opposite the house of Ioannis Makrygiannis a military hospital was built – known as Weiler Building after the architect who designed it. This building was later used as gendarmerie headquarters and a violent battle took place there during the Dekemvriana, in 1944. In the Makrygianni neighbourhood is located the new Acropolis Museum that was inaugurated in 2009.Nike of Callimachus
The Nike of Callimachus (Greek: Nίκη του Καλλιμάχου) also known as The Dedication of Callimachus, is a statue that the Athenians created in honor of the Callimachus.Parthenon Frieze
The Parthenon frieze is the high-relief pentelic marble sculpture created to adorn the upper part of the Parthenon’s naos. It was sculpted between c. 443 and 437 BC, most likely under the direction of Pheidias. Of the 160 meters (524 ft) of the original frieze, 128 meters (420 ft) survives—some 80 percent. The rest is known only from the drawings attributed to French artist Jacques Carrey in 1674, thirteen years before the Venetian bombardment that ruined the temple.
At present, the majority of the frieze is at the British Museum in London (forming the major part of the Elgin Marbles); the largest proportion of the rest is at the Acropolis Museum in Athens, and the remainder of fragments shared between six other institutions. Casts of the frieze may be found in the Beazley archive at the Ashmolean Museum at Oxford, at the Spurlock Museum in Urbana, in the Skulpturhalle at Basel and elsewhere.
Museums in Athens
|Byzantine and ecclesiastic|