The Mull of Galloway (Scottish Gaelic: Maol nan Gall, pronounced [mɯːlˠ̪ nəŋ ˈkaulˠ̪]; grid reference ) is the southernmost point of Scotland. It is situated in Wigtownshire, Dumfries and Galloway, at the end of the Rhins of Galloway peninsula.
The Mull has one of the last remaining sections of natural coastal habitat on the Galloway coast and as such supports a wide variety of plant and animal species. It is now a nature reserve managed by the RSPB. Mull means rounded headland or promontory.
The Mull of Galloway Trail, one of Scotland's Great Trails, is a 59 km long-distance footpath that runs from the Mull of Galloway via Stranraer to Glenapp near Ballantrae, where the trail links with the Ayrshire Coastal Path.
|Mull of Galloway|
Mull of Galloway headland
|OS grid reference|
|• Edinburgh||112 mi (180 km)|
|• London||292 mi (470 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Mull of Galloway Lighthouse|
Lighthouse on the Mull of Galloway
|Location||Mull of Galloway|
|Year first constructed||1830|
|Tower shape||cylindrical tower with balcony and lantern|
|Markings / pattern||white tower, black lantern, ochre trim|
|Tower height||26 metres (85 ft)|
|Focal height||99 metres (325 ft)|
|Range||28 nautical miles (52 km; 32 mi)|
|Characteristic||Fl W 20s.|
|Managing agent||South Rhins Community Development Trust  |
An active lighthouse is positioned at the point . Built in 1830 by engineer Robert Stevenson, the white-painted round tower is 26 metres (85 ft) high. The light is 99 metres (325 ft) above sea level and has a range of 28 nautical miles (52 km). The lighthouse and lighthouse keepers' houses are designated as a Category A listed building.
During World War II, on 8 June 1944 at 7.30pm a French member of the British Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA), Cladius Echallier, died by striking the Lighthouse in a Beaufighter, while making a low landfall from the Irish Sea. 
The lighthouse is now automatic, and an old outhouse has been converted into a visitor centre, run by the South Rhins Community Development Trust, a group of local people and businesses. In 2013 there was a community buyout and the Mull of Galloway Trust purchased land and buildings, with the exception of the tower, from Northern Lighthouse Board. In 2004 a new café was built at the Mull of Galloway, called the "Gallie Craig". Its design incorporates into the landscape with a turf roof, giving views across to Northern Ireland and southwards to the Isle of Man.
Ardwell (from Gaelic Àrd Bhaile meaning "high town", pronounced as "Ardwell") is a village in the Scottish unitary council area of Dumfries and Galloway. It lies on the shores of Luce Bay in the southern part of the Rhins of Galloway. The A716 road to Drummore or the Mull of Galloway passes through the village. The only other street is Ardwell Park, a street of new houses.
The community is served by the nearby Ardwell Church, a small public church with a bell tower, built in 1900-1902.Many of the houses are still owned by Ardwell Estates, and Ardwell House is located around 800 metres (0.5 mi) west of the village in the grounds of Ardwell Garden and looking across Ardwell Pond.
In the grounds of Ardwell House, on a ridge above the road, are the remains of a medieval motte; the castle bailey may have stood to the north. In addition, south of the church are the ruins of Killaser Castle, the ancestral home of the McCullochs, who formerly held Ardwell., Stoneykirk, Rhinns, Wigtownshire.
Near High Ardwell, on the other side of the peninsula, are the remains of Doon Castle, the best example of an Iron Age broch in Dumfries and Galloway.Ardwell used to hold the Leek Fair, where plants were sold.Ayrshire Coastal Path
The Ayrshire Coastal Path is a coastal long-distance hiking path in Ayrshire, Scotland. The route, which is 161 km long, runs along the coast from Glenapp, Ballantrae to Skelmorlie. South of Glenapp, the route links with the Mull of Galloway Trail to Stranraer.The path was developed by the Rotary Club of Ayr, and opened in June 2008. It is now designated as one of Scotland's Great Trails by Scottish Natural Heritage, and also forms part of the International Appalachian Trail.The route is primarily designed for walkers, but much of the middle and north sections are alongside beaches and thus suitable for horse riding. The northern section, between Ayr and Largs, is coincident with National Cycle Network routes 7 and 73 and so is suitable for cyclists. About 3,000 people use the path every year.Burrow Head
Burrow Head is the southernmost tip of the Machars peninsula in south-west Scotland.
It is located approximately two miles south-west of Isle of Whithorn, Wigtownshire and is the second southernmost point of Scotland (after the Mull of Galloway).
St. Ninian's Cave is approximately two miles north-west along the coast. It is an important location for pilgrims who believe that St. Ninian spent some time on retreat there.Burrow Head's location and relative seclusion meant that during the eighteenth century it became associated with smuggling, from and to the Isle of Man (fifteen miles south) and Ireland.In more recent years, Burrow Head became famous as a location for the 1973 thriller film The Wicker Man. Until recently the stumps of the prop used as the wicker man in the film remained visible, but these have been gradually eroded by souvenir hunters.
Today much of Burrow Head is occupied by a caravan park.Cairngaan
Cairngaan, Wigtownshire, is the southmost settlement in Scotland. The hamlet of Cairngaan lies just north of the Mull of Galloway (which contains Scotland's most southerly point, and a lighthouse, but no villages) on the B7041, after a turn-off from the B7065 road. The village is at the extreme end of the B7401. As a result of Cairngaan's southerly location, the town lies south of the English cities of Newcastle upon Tyne, Sunderland and Carlisle.
Nearby settlements include Drummore and Kirkmaiden to the near north. Around 18 miles (30 km) away is Stranraer and the ferry to Northern Ireland.Drummore
Not to be confused with Drummuir, north east Scotland
Drummore (drum-ORE; (from Gaelic An Druim Mòr meaning "the great ridge") is a village at the southern end of the Rhins of Galloway in Wigtownshire, Scotland: it has two satellite clachans, called Kirkmaiden and Damnaglaur. The village lies where the Kildonan Burn runs out to the sea, north of the Mull of Galloway. It is the most southerly village in Scotland, and further south than the English cities of Durham and Carlisle. It is in the Dumfries and Galloway Council area and the parish and community of Kirkmaiden and is about 16 miles (26 km) from the nearest major town, the ferry port of Stranraer. In the 2011 census, the population was 534.
Drummore shares its name with High Drummore a mile (1.6 km) up Glen Lee, and also with Drummore Glen 1⁄2 mile (800 m) to the east. The underlying name is clearly the Gaelic "druim mòr" or "big ridge", and it has been suggested that this reflected the motte associated with the castle of the Adairs of Kinhilt, whose lands were granted in 1602 by King James VI. The rather scattered incidence of related names, however, makes it more likely that the hill-ridge itself is in question, although at 90 m (300 ft) it is not all that prominent compared to the 140 m (450 ft) Muntloch Fell and Inshanks Fell to the west, or even the 76 m (250 ft) Mull of Galloway itself, 3 miles (5 km) to the south.
A branch line was proposed in 1877 linking to the Portpatrick Railway. It was opposed by the feudal landowner, the Earl of Stair, and finally abandoned after the failure of the City of Glasgow Bank in 1882; aspects of the village's street layout still reflect plans for the railway.Dumfries and Galloway
Dumfries and Galloway (Scots: Dumfries an Gallowa; Scottish Gaelic: Dùn Phrìs is Gall-Ghaidhealaibh) is one of 32 unitary council areas of Scotland and is located in the western Southern Uplands. It comprises the historic counties of Dumfriesshire, Stewartry of Kirkcudbright and Wigtownshire, the latter two of which are collectively known as Galloway. The administrative centre is the town of Dumfries.
Following the 1975 reorganisation of local government in Scotland, the three counties were joined to form a single region of Dumfries and Galloway, with four districts within it. Since the Local Government etc. (Scotland) Act 1994, however, it has become a unitary local authority. For lieutenancy purposes, the historic counties are largely maintained with its three lieutenancy areas being Dumfries, Wigtown and the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright.
To the north, Dumfries and Galloway borders East Ayrshire, South Ayrshire and South Lanarkshire; in the east the Borders; and to the south the county of Cumbria in England and the Solway Firth. To the west lies the Irish Sea.Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland
The Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland is a marine area designated by the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO). It consists of a number of waterbodies between the Scottish mainland, the Outer Hebrides islands, and the coast of Ireland.
Waterbodies within the Inner Seas include the Minch and Little Minch, the Sound of Harris, the Inner Sound, the Sea of the Hebrides, the Firth of Lorn, the Sound of Jura, the Firth of Clyde, Belfast Lough and the North Channel. The IHO defines the limits of the Inner Seas as follows:
On the West and North. A line running from Bloody Foreland (55°10′N 8°17′W) in Ireland to the West point of Tory Island, on to Barra Head, the Southwest point of the Hebrides, thence through these islands, in such a manner that the West coasts of the main islands appertain to the Atlantic Ocean and all the narrow waters appertain to the Inner Seas, as far as the Butt of Lewis (North Point), and thence to Cape Wrath (58°37'N) in Scotland.
On the South.
A line joining the South extreme of the Mull of Galloway (54°38'N) in Scotland and Ballyquintin Point (54°20'N) in Ireland.Kirkmaiden
Kirkmaiden is a parish in the Rinns of Galloway, the most southerly in Scotland; the present Church of Scotland parish has the same name as and is approximately coterminous with the original pre-Reformation parish.
It is named after the mediaeval St Medan, whose identity, name, sex and origin are all disputed. The name "Kirkmaiden" itself is thought to be a corruption of a purer Gaelic "Kilmaiden" by either Scandinavians or Angles with a knowledge of Gaelic.It is also the area and name of a community council, which meets generally in Drummore and occasionally in Port Logan.Monreith
Monreith ([mɒn'ri:θ] / 'mon-REETH') is a small seaside village in the Machars, in the historical county of Wigtownshire, Scotland.A ruined church near Monreith is called "Kirkmaiden-in-Fernis" and was dedicated to St Medan. The chancel was rebuilt as a mausoleum for the Maxwell family of nearby Monreith House and in which is buried Sir Herbert Maxwell. Within the graveyard is the last resting place of Captain François Thurot, a French privateer captain who lost his life in a sea battle off the Mull of Galloway. 
Above the church on the cliff is the memorial to Gavin Maxwell the naturalist, and author of Ring of Bright Water, an otter, sculpted in bronze by Penny Wheatley in 1978. On visits back to the family seat of Monreith House, Maxwell would exercise his tame otter Mijbil on the beach below. Mull of Galloway Trail
The Mull of Galloway Trail is a coastal long-distance path in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. The route, which is 59 km (37 mi) long, runs along the coast from Glenapp near Ballantrae (where the trail links with the Ayrshire Coastal Path) to the Mull of Galloway. The path was developed by the Rotary Club of Stranraer, who maintain the route on a voluntary basis. It opened in 2012, and is now designated as one of Scotland's Great Trails by Scottish Natural Heritage. It also forms part of the International Appalachian Trail.The northern section of the route, between Stranraer and Glenapp section was previously designated as the Loch Ryan Coastal Path, with the southern section to the Mull being added later. Waymarking on the northern section is still (as of 2018) distinct from the newer southern section.A marathon, also organised by the Rotary Club of Stranraer, is held annually along the southern section of the route between Mull of Galloway and Stranraer. A shorter 16-kilometre (10 mi) race is also run: this route starts in Sandhead to also finish in Stranraer.North Channel (Great Britain and Ireland)
The North Channel (known in Irish and Scottish Gaelic as Sruth na Maoile, in Scots as the Sheuch and alternatively in English as the Straits of Moyle or Sea of Moyle) is the strait between north-eastern Northern Ireland and south-western Scotland. It connects the Irish Sea with the Atlantic Ocean, and is part of the marine area officially classified as the "Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland" by the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO).The southern boundary of the strait is a line joining the Mull of Galloway and Ballyquintin Point. The northern boundary is a line joining Portnahaven and Benbane Head. The narrowest part of the strait is between the Mull of Kintyre and Torr Head where its width is 21 kilometres (13 mi; 11 nmi). The deepest part is called Beaufort's Dyke.
The Channel was a favourite haunt of privateers preying on British merchant shipping in wars until the 19th century; in 1778, during the American Revolutionary War it was also the site of a naval duel between American captain John Paul Jones's Ranger and the Royal Navy's Drake. It is crossed by a large number of ferry services. In 1953, it was the scene of a serious maritime disaster, the sinking of the ferry Princess Victoria.
In Northern Ireland, Unionist political leaders for decades lobbied the British government to construct a railway tunnel under the Channel, to better link Northern Ireland with the rest of the United Kingdom. In August 2007 the Centre for Cross-Border Studies proposed the construction of a 34-kilometre (21 mi) long rail bridge or tunnel, estimating that it might cost about £3.5 billion. In the Victorian era, engineers proposed a rail tunnel between Stranraer and Belfast.This strait was formerly known as the Irish Channel. In the 19th century, Alexander Keith Johnston's suggested name St Patrick's Channel had currency, but it was rejected by the hydrographic department.Port William, Dumfries and Galloway
Port William is a fishing village in the parish of Mochrum in the historical county of Wigtownshire, Dumfries and Galloway, in Scotland with a population of approximately 460. It is situated between the small villages of Elrig and Mochrum to the north and Monreith to the south. . Port William lies 23 miles east of the town of Stranraer, on the coast of Luce Bay. It looks towards the Mull of Galloway (the most southerly point of the Scottish mainland) and, on a clear day, Ireland is visible. The Isle of Man is usually clearly visible, lying only 20 miles to the south across the Irish Sea.
The original settlement was known as Killantrae, meaning 'The Church on the Beach' in Gaelic, and was probably founded not long after St Ninian arrival in nearby Whithorn towards the end of the 4th century. Killantrae was swept away following the intervention of developer and landlord Sir William Maxwell, 5th Baronet, of Monreith House. In the five years until 1776 he built an entirely new village, complete with a good harbour and renamed it Port William. One of the earliest buildings still standing was the corn mill, located on the side of the Killantrae burn to take advantage of the power provided by its water. Port William is an example of a planned village, lying on the eastern shore of Luce Bay in Galloway. The harbour, built for the convenience of his tenant farmers, was one of the first in western Galloway.
In the 17th and 18th centuries Port William was known as much for the illicit activities of its smugglers as for the legitimate trade of its port.
Following several incidents involving vessels in difficulties in Luce Bay the RNLI were asked to site a lifeboat at Port William, when this was denied the villagers formed a committee known as the Port William Inshore Rescue Service Action Committee (PIRSAC) that raised funds to buy and staff an inshore rescue boat, which was launched in 1979 and still operates today, covering Luce Bay, Wigtown Bay and the inshore waters between SW Scotland and the Isle of Man. The village formed one of the first Community First Response Teams in Scotland and has helped to set up other teams in the area.Port William has a post office and small general store, a takeaway, a restaurant, a community charity shop and a couple of other stores. Beyond Port William, the nearest shopping is in Whithorn, whilst the nearest supermarkets are in Newton Stewart.
Monreith House, a category A listed Georgian mansion is located 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) east of the village.Rhins of Galloway
The Rhins of Galloway, otherwise known as the Rhins of Wigtownshire (or as The Rhins, also spelt The Rhinns; Scottish Gaelic: Na Rannaibh), is a hammer-head peninsula in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. Stretching more than 25 miles (40 km) from north to south, its southern tip is the Mull of Galloway, the southernmost point of Scotland.The principal settlements are Stranraer at the head of Loch Ryan and the small tourist village of Portpatrick on the west coast, other villages are dotted up and down the peninsula, including Kirkcolm, Leswalt, Lochans, and in the South Rhins; Stoneykirk, Sandhead, Ardwell and Drummore.
Herbert Maxwell defines "Rhinns" as rionn, rinn, meaning a point or promontory.Solway Firth
The Solway Firth (Scottish Gaelic: Tràchd Romhra) is a firth that forms part of the border between England and Scotland, between Cumbria (including the Solway Plain) and Dumfries and Galloway. It stretches from St Bees Head, just south of Whitehaven in Cumbria, to the Mull of Galloway, on the western end of Dumfries and Galloway. The Isle of Man is also very near to the firth. The firth comprises part of the Irish Sea.
The coastline is characterised by lowland hills and small mountains. It is a mainly rural area with fishing and hill farming (as well as some arable farming) still playing a large part in the local economy, although tourism is increasing. It has also been used for the location of films such as The Wicker Man, which was filmed around Kirkcudbright and Burrow Head on the Wigtownshire coast.
The Solway Coast was designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in 1964. Construction of Robin Rigg Wind Farm began in the firth in 2007.South Rhins Community Development Trust
The South Rhinns Community Development Trust is a local enterprise hroup based in the South Rhins, and area within Rhins of Galloway, Wigtownshire. The group is based in the village hall of Stoneykirk.The aims of the Trust are:
To support agricultural development and diversification
Development of tourism which builds on the environment, heritage, culture and location
Increase opportunities for women and young people
Improve access to social and community facilities
To promote, establish and operate/support other schemes and projects of a charitable nature for the benefit of the South Rhins community.The trust is composed of local people, business people, and politicians. The main focus of the group is the creation of the Mull of Galloway experience, and the trust was instrumental in setting up the visitor centre in 2000 and reopening the lighthouse to visitors. Through this project they also set up a website to represent the South Rhins to tourists, under the banner of the Mull of Galloway (Scotland's Most Southerly Point).Southern Upland Way
The Southern Upland Way is a 338-kilometre (210 mi) long distance coast-to-coast trail in southern Scotland. The route links Portpatrick in the west and Cockburnspath in the east via the hills of the Southern Uplands. It opened in 1984, and was the UK’s first officially recognised coast-to-coast long-distance route. The Way is designated as one of Scotland's Great Trails by Scottish Natural Heritage, and is the longest of the 29 Great Trails. The Southern Upland Way meets with seven of the other Great Trails: the Annandale Way, the Berwickshire Coastal Path, the Borders Abbeys Way, the Cross Borders Drove Road, the Mull of Galloway Trail, the Romans and Reivers Route and St Cuthbert's Way.The path is maintained by the local authorities of the two main council areas through which it passes: Dumfries and Galloway Council and Scottish Borders Council; a short section in the Lowther Hills lies in South Lanarkshire. It is primarily intended for walkers, but many sections are suitable for mountain bikers; some sections are also suitable for horseriders. About 80,000 people use the path every year, of whom about 1,000 complete the entire route.The Southern Upland Way forms part of the E2 European long-distance path, which runs for 3,010 miles (4,850 km) from Galway to Nice.Strunakill Bank
The Stunakill Bank is a shoal approximately .65 mi (0.56 nmi; 1.05 km) west of The Point of Ayre, Isle of Man.The bank is denoted on maritime chart AC 2094 (at position 54°25.02′N 4°22.6′W) Kirkcudbright to the Mull of Galloway & Isle of Man; AC 1826 Irish Sea Eastern Part; AC 2696 Ramsey Harbour; SC 5613.21.1 Isle of Man East Coast. Ramsey ; Imray C62 Irish Sea; Imray Y70 Isle of Man (Harbour Plan of Ramsey).Other notable sand bars and banks in the area are the Whitestone Bank, the Ballacash Bank, the Bahama Bank and the King William Banks.Tarbet
Tarbet (Scottish Gaelic: An Tairbeart) may refer to different places in Scotland:
Tarbet, Argyll and Bute, a village on the side of Loch Lomond
Tarbet, Loch Nevis, a hamlet in Lochaber, near Mallaig
Tarbet, Sutherland, a hamlet on the north-west coast, near the island of Handa
Castle Tarbet on the Isle of Fidra, North Berwick
Tarbet Isle in Loch Lomond
The bays of West Tarbet and East Tarbet near the Mull of GallowayWigtownshire
Wigtownshire or the County of Wigtown (Scottish Gaelic: Siorrachd Bhaile na h-Ùige, Scots: Wigtounshire) is a historic county, registration county and lieutenancy area in south-west Scotland. Until 1975, Wigtownshire was one of the administrative counties used for local government purposes, and is now administered as part of the council area of Dumfries and Galloway. As a lieutenancy area, Wigtownshire has its own Lord Lieutenant, currently John Alexander Ross. In the 19th century, it was also called West Galloway (Scottish Gaelic: Gallobha-an-iar). The county town was historically Wigtown, with the administrative centre moving to Stranraer, the largest town, on the creation of a county council in 1890.
|Isle of Man|