Morcott is a village and civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population at the 2001 census was 329 falling slightly to 321 at the 2011 census. It is located about seven miles (11 km) south-east of the county town of Oakham on the A47 and A6121 roads. A prominent reconstructed windmill can be seen from both East and West-bound approaches to Morcott along the A47.
Rutland County Council designated Morcott a Conservation Area in 1981, one of 34 conservation areas in Rutland which are “of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance”.
St Mary's Church, Morcott
|Area||2.13 sq mi (5.5 km2) |
|Population||329 2001 Census|
|• Density||154/sq mi (59/km2)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||79 miles (127 km) SSE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Rutland County Council documents describe Morcott as a moderately sized, compact and attractive Rutland village four miles to the east of the nearest town, Uppingham located in undulating, open countryside, approximately 75 metres above sea level on the north facing slope of a tributary of the River Chater.
The village name is an Old English derivation of “a cottage on the moor”. The village is recorded as Morcote in the Domesday survey of 1086 and formed part of the king’s manor of Barrowden. The village served the manorial interests of several different ownerships but passed to the Fydell Rowley family in the early 19th Century. The Church of St Mary is the defining landmark in the village and is regarded as the most complete Norman church in Rutland.
The historic origins of the village is associated with agriculture and has resulted in a legacy of good, stone built farmhouses, cottages and outbuildings. Although none of the surviving houses are believed to date from earlier than the 17th Century, the style of many of the buildings and the dated examples indicate that Morcott shared in a period of transformation in the 17th and 18th Centuries that reflected wider economic prosperity, based on growing demand and improvements in agriculture, notably in crop rotation and the wealth generated by sheep farming, that occurred in large parts of rural middle England at that time.
The historic importance of a number of the buildings within the village is reflected in there being 30 entries on the National Heritage List for England. Outside of the village, but within the parish, the windmill on Barrowden Road is a prominent landmark in views from the conservation area and surrounding countryside.
The defunct Morcott railway station on the branch line between Seaton and Luffenham closed in 1966. The road bridge which carries the High Street over the old railway cutting is a skew arch containing construction features rarely seen.
In 2014 Rutland County Council cited additional buildings to those statutorily listed, ‘as contributing to the character of the village’ in the Morcott Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Proposal. These additions included a row of estate workers’ houses on Fydell Row, a prominent pair of 19th Century farmhouses on the High Street, and the Village Hall - formerly a Baptist chapel rebuilt in 1903 in the Arts and Crafts style.
Morcott Hall was an independent girls' school for 25 years but is now again a private house.
Until the early 2000s a Post office and small shop was open in the village. Once this closed the village was mainly served by the two petrol stations locally, the social enterprise the Barrowden & Wakerley Community Shop, and local towns Uppingham, Oakham, and Stamford. The nearest cities are Peterborough to the east, and Leicester to the west, both accessible by train from Oakham.
The White Horse Inn on Stamford Road is an historic coaching inn at the junction of Stamford Road and High Street and forms an attractive entrance to the east end of the village. It houses a plaque to 1982 Grand National winner Grittar, whose owner Frank Gilman lived in the parish. In the 21st Century, changes in licence owners has seen it closed by Punch Taverns for long periods.
A long-term closure in the mid 2010s paved the way for redevelopment of the village’s Little Chef, which was also closed even though it supported passing trade from the busy A47, two petrol stations, two garages, and a Travelodge hotel; giving the village a new cafe restaurant, the Country Lounge. The former Travelodge now operates as a Redwings Lodge.
The A47 is a trunk road in England linking Birmingham to Lowestoft, Suffolk. Most of the section between Birmingham and Nuneaton is now classified as the B4114.A6121 road
The A6121 is a short cross-country road in the counties of Lincolnshire and Rutland, England. It forms the principal route between Bourne and Stamford and the A1 in Lincolnshire, continuing on through Ketton in Rutland to its junction with the A47 at Morcott. Its south-western end is at 52°35.5860′N 0°38.0820′W and its north-eastern end is at 52°45.9120′N 0°24.0660′W. The road has increased in importance with the rapid expansion of housing in this part of South Kesteven.
The road is deemed to start from its junction with the A47 to the west of the A1, therefore it is allocated to Zone 6 and numbered accordingly. It was the only A road in the Stamford area that was not a trunk road before the A16 was de-trunked in 2010 to become the A1175.Abbot of Peterborough
A list of the abbots of the abbey of Peterborough, known until the late 10th century as "Medeshamstede".Charles Edgson
Charles Leslie Edgson (22 August 1915 – 28 June 1983) was an English first-class cricketer who played for Leicestershire between 1933 and 1939 as an amateur right-handed batsman. He was born at Morcott, Rutland and died at Brentwood, Essex.
Educated at Stamford School, Edgson scored 111 in a one-day minor match for Leicestershire on his 18th birthday and found himself in the county's first eleven four days later. He scored 6 and 0 against Lancashire. A year later, his name cropped up in discussions when Leicestershire found themselves without an available amateur to captain the side, but he was deemed too young and Royal Air Force officer Walter Beisiegel was drafted in for a few games: in 1935, the captaincy issue was resolved by the expediency of appointing the senior professional, Ewart Astill, and Edgson played a few games under both Beisiegel and Astill.
His best game was against Derbyshire in 1934: he scored 49 in the first innings and 43 in the second and these were his highest scores in first-class cricket. In 1936, he was at Brasenose College, Oxford University, and played in the Freshmen's trial game there, scoring 57 in his only innings: the match was abandoned on the second day by the Oxford captain, Norman Mitchell-Innes because he considered the bowling so feeble that the match did not constitute a realistic trial. Edgson was then not picked for any of Oxford's first-class matches, although he was in the Leicestershire team that played Oxford, a device sometimes used by the university team to uncover potential players: he scored 12 and 18, but it did not lead to further games. He played twice more for Leicestershire in the 1936 season and then a single final match in 1939.
Edgson became a schoolmaster at Brentwood School in Essex and was in charge of cricket there.George Corrie (priest)
George Elwes Corrie (1793–1885) was an English churchman and academic, Master of Jesus College, Cambridge from 1849.High Sheriff of Rutland
This is a list of Sheriffs and High Sheriffs of Rutland. The Sheriff is the oldest secular office under the Crown: there has been a Sheriff of Rutland since 1129. Formerly the Sheriff was the principal law enforcement officer in the county but over the centuries most of the responsibilities associated with the post have been transferred elsewhere or are now defunct, so that its functions are now largely ceremonial. Under the provisions of the Local Government Act 1972, on 1 April 1974 the office previously known as Sheriff was retitled High Sheriff. The High Sheriff changes every March.
After some 22 years as part of Leicestershire, Rutland was split away in 1996 as a Unitary Authority with its own shrievalty, thus establishing the separate High Sheriff of Rutland.List of churches in Rutland
The following is a list of churches in Rutland.
There are no active churches in the civil parishes of Ayston, Barleythorpe, Barrow, Beaumont Chase, Burley, Gunthorpe, Leighfield, Martinsthorpe, Normanton, Thorpe by Water and Wardley. The Church of England parish churches of Ayston, Burley, Normanton and Wardley survive but are redundant. The Churches Conservation Trust maintains Ayston, Burley and Wardley.
The county has an estimated 57 active churches for 38,600 inhabitants, a ratio of one church for every 677 people.List of civil parishes in Rutland
This is a list of civil parishes in the ceremonial county of Rutland, England.
As of 2019 there are 57 parishes in the county. The most recent change to their number was in 2016, with the merger of Exton and Horn.List of places in Rutland
Map of villages in Rutland compiled from this list
See the list of places in England for places in other counties.
This is a list of cities, towns and villages in the ceremonial county of Rutland, England.List of settlements in Rutland by population
This is a list of settlements in Rutland by population based on the results of the 2011 census. The next United Kingdom census will take place in 2021. In 2011, there were 24 built-up area subdivisions with 250 or more inhabitants in Rutland, shown in the table below.Luffenham railway station
Luffenham railway station is a former station of the Syston and Peterborough Railway serving the villages of North and South Luffenham, Rutland. The station was situated adjacent to a level crossing on the North Luffenham to Duddington road. It was about 0.8 miles from each village by road, although only 0.5 miles from South Luffenham by the public footpath that was soon established (and which still exists). It also became the junction for the London and North Western Railway's Rugby and Stamford Railway in 1850.
The substantial station buildings were of Italianate design and there was a goods shed next to the platform. There were three lines through the station, that for the main platform being a loop. There were sidings to both sides and originally two signal boxes, one of which was removed in the early 20th century. All of the local trains and many of the semi fasts called at the station. It closed to goods in 1964 and to passengers in 1966.At grouping in 1923 it became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway.
The line from Seaton was closed and lifted in 1966, but the main Midland line is still in operation for trains from Leicester to Peterborough.
Martinsthorpe is a civil parish in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England, and a deserted village.
It is located about four miles (6 km) south of Oakham near the village of Manton. It is the only parish in Rutland to have no population, although according to the 2001 census, Beaumont Chase also recorded a population of zero. It is one of only eight parishes in England with nil population.
One uninhabited building remains on the ridge. Originally this was part of the outbuildings of Martinsthorpe Hall, a seat of the Earls of Nottingham.Morcott railway station
Morcott railway station is a former station in Rutland, near the village of Morcott.
Parliamentary approval was gained in 1846 by the directors of the London and Birmingham Railway for a branch from Rugby to the Syston and Peterborough Railway near Stamford. In the same year the company became part of the London and North Western Railway.
The line opened in 1851 but Morcott was not opened until 1898. To gain a more direct route the LNWR had built a line from Seaton Junction to Yarwell junction near Wansford on its Northampton to Peterborough line, in 1879, thus bypassing the section to Luffenham. Although it was now of little importance, it remained double and Morcott Station was built as a double line station with two platforms. The station buildings and platforms were of timber construction and there was a footbridge.A siding was provided with loading docks for both horses and carriages. Oddly this could only be accessed from the Luffenham line and it was initially controlled by ground frame. Some time later a crossover from the other line was added along with a signal box. The train service was around five passenger train per day, with very few freight trains.
In 1907 the section was singled when the second platform, waiting-room, footbridge and signal box were all removed. Entrance lines to the siding are provided for each direction from the single line, with facing point locks.
At grouping in 1923 it became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway.
Freight services finished on 4 May 1964 and passenger on 6 June 1966.Rugby and Stamford Railway
The Rugby and Stamford Railway was an early railway in England built in 1850. The London and Birmingham Railway had already built a branch from Blisworth to serve Northampton and extend to Peterborough. The success of this, the Northampton and Peterborough Railway encouraged the directors to look for other ventures. They decided upon a branch from Rugby to Stamford which would link up with other new railways in the east of the country.
At approximately the same time the Midland Railway was building its Syston to Peterborough line which opened in 1848. It was therefore necessary to share its line between Luffenham and Stamford.Rutland County Council
Rutland County Council is a unitary authority responsible for local government in the historic county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The current council was created in April 1997. The population of the Council at the 2011 census was 37,369.As a unitary authority, the council is responsible for almost all local services in Rutland, with the exception of the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service and Leicestershire Police, which are run by joint boards with Leicestershire County Council and Leicester City Council.Seaton railway station (Rutland)
Seaton railway station was a station serving the villages of Seaton, Rutland, and Harringworth, Northamptonshire.South Luffenham
South Luffenham is a village in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England. The population of the civil parish at the 2001 census was 432, increasing to 455 at the 2011 census.The village lies largely on the north side of the A6121 road from Uppingham to Stamford. It is divided into two by a small stream, the Foss, which is a tributary of the River Chater.
The village has two pubs, the Boot and Shoe and the Coach House (previously the Halfway House), as well as the parish church and the village hall. South Luffenham Hall stands a short distance to the south-east of St Mary's church. There is a ruined windmill to the east of the village.
Luffenham railway station was located to the north of the village and also served the neighbouring village of North Luffenham. The railway station opened in 1848 and closed in 1966. In fact there were two railway stations in the parish, since Morcott station lay just within the South Luffenham parish boundary.Stamford railway station
Stamford railway station serves the town of Stamford in Lincolnshire, England. The station is 12.5 miles (20 km) west of Peterborough opened by the Syston and Peterborough Railway, part of the present day Birmingham to Peterborough Line. CrossCountry operate the majority of services as part of their Birmingham to Stansted Airport route. It is owned by Network Rail and operated by East Midlands Trains (EMT) train operating company (TOC), who operate a limited service.
The station was formerly known as Stamford Town to distinguish it from the now closed Stamford East station in Water Street. It is often printed on timetables and train tickets as Stamford (Lincs) to distinguish it from either Stamford Hill station in London or Stanford-le-Hope station in Essex.
The station building is a fine stone structure in Mock Tudor style, influenced by the nearby Burghley House, and designed by Sancton Wood.Wing Water Treatment Works
Wing Water Treatment Works is a 1.5 hectare geological Site of Special Scientific Interest east of Wing in Rutland. It is a Geological Conservation Review site.This site is statigraphically important both regionally and nationally, as it has the longest sequence known in Britain of deposits from the warm Ipswichian interglacial around 120,000 years ago, and it has yielded new paleobotanical records for this period.There is access to the site from Morcott Road, but it has been filled in and no geology is visible.
The site is adjacent to the water treatment works, operated by Anglian Water, that treats water extracted from Rutland Water reservoir, a few miles to the north.