Monument historique (French: [mɔnymɑ̃ istɔʁik]) is a designation given to some national heritage sites in France. It may also refer to the state procedure in France by which National Heritage protection is extended to a building, a specific part of a building, a collection of buildings, garden, bridge, or other structure, because of their importance to France's architectural and historical cultural heritage. Both public and privately owned structures may be listed in this way, as well as movable objects. As of 2012 there were 44,236 monuments listed.
Buildings may be given the classification for both their exteriors or interiors, including a building's décor, its furniture, a single room, or even a staircase. An example is the Monument Historique classification of the décor in the café "Deux Garçons" in Aix-en-Provence whose patrons once included Alphonse de Lamartine, Émile Zola and Paul Cézanne. Some buildings are designated because of their connection to a single personality, such as the Auberge Ravoux in Auvers-sur-Oise which is designated an MH because of its connection to the painter Vincent van Gogh. Since the 1990s, a significant number of places have been given the designation because of their historical importance to science.
The MH designation traces its roots to the French Revolution when the government appointed Alexandre Lenoir to specify and safeguard certain structures. Though the first classifications were given in the 19th century by the writer Prosper Mérimée, inspector-general of historical monuments, by a first list established in 1840. In 1851, Mérimée organized the Missions Héliographiques to document France's medieval architecture.
A "monument historique" may be marked by the official logo of the Union REMPART, a French historical restoration association. It consists of a design representing the labyrinth that used to be in Reims Cathedral, which is itself a World Heritage Site. Use of the logo is optional.
There are two level of protection:
These two levels of protection are determined after a thorough historical study by the préfet for the région, or by the Minister of Culture for the national level. They are aided by the advice of a commission named Commission régionale du patrimoine et des sites.
Examples of buildings classified as monument historique include well known Parisian structures such as the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, and the Palais Garnier opera house, plus abbeys, churches such as Corbiac, and cathedrals such as Notre Dame de Paris or hotels such as the Crillon. Many of the Châteaux of the Loire Valley, such as Château de Montsoreau, carry the MH designation as do the renowned gardens at Château de Villandry. The scope of the monuments covered is broad enough to include individual tombs of important people, for example, Napoleon I as well as less eminent people such as Agnès Souret, the first Miss France, whose tomb is in the Basque Country.
Argelès-sur-Mer (French pronunciation: [aʁʒlɛs syʁ mɛʁ]; Catalan: Argelers de la Marenda or Argelers [əɾʒəˈles]) is a commune in the Pyrénées-Orientales department in southern France.
It is about 25 km from Perpignan.Bollwiller
Bollwiller (German: Bollweiler) is a commune in the Haut-Rhin department in Grand Est in north-eastern France. It forms part of the Mulhouse Alsace Agglomération, the inter-communal local government body for the Mulhouse conurbation. Château de Bollwiller became a Monument historique in 2007.Caixa de Rotllan
The Caixa de Rotllan (meaning "Roland's Tomb" in Catalan language) is a dolmen in Arles-sur-Tech, Pyrénées-Orientales, South of France, dating back to the Neolithic period, during the second half of 3rd millennium BC.
A legend holds that Roland lived in Vallespir and that, after his death at the Battle of Roncevaux Pass, his horse Veillantif carried Roland's corpse back to Vallespir and buried him under this dolmen. Dolmens are actually tombs, but they were erected many centuries before the legendary knight's adventures.
The Caixa de Rotllan is made of three upright stones making a H-shape, supporting a thick roofing stone and delimiting a rectangular, medium-sized chamber. The entrance faces South-East, as many other dolmens do in Pyrénées-Orientales. This building is listed as a Monument historique since 1889 but has never been excavated by archaeologists.Castles in Gers
There are numerous castles in the Gers département of France. Many are little more than ruins and some are barely discernible, while others have been converted into modern homes. Castles or their remains may be found at the following locations, among others:
Avensac: 14th-century castle, remodelled in the first half of the 19th century. Notable parts include the keep, enceinte and terrace with supporting wall and staircases. Privately owned, the castle has been a protected monument historique since 1983. (43°49′54″N 0°54′13″E)
Barran: The Château de Mazères was originally a 15th-century castle, altered in the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. Listed as a monument historique since 1981. (43°38′50″N 0°24′30″E)
Bassoues: The Château de Bassoues dates from the last quarter of the 14th century. The property of the commune, it has been listed as a monument historique since 1840. It was built by Arnaud Aubert, who became Archbishop of Auch in 1361. The accounts for the year 1370-71 of Raymond Sans, treasurer of Auch, detail the building of the castle. (43°34′46″N 0°14′52″E)
Beaumont: The Château de Beaumont was constructed in the 14th century. Significant building work was carried out in the 15th, 17th and 18th centuries. (43°56′53″N 0°17′6″E)
Béraut: The privately owned Château de Lasserre is a 14th-century castle, modified in the 16th and 18th centuries. (43°55′58″N 0°24′32″E)
Bivès: Originally a 13th-century structure, the Château de Bivès was altered for Bernard de Castelbajac in the last quarter of the 16th century when the residence was altered and a tower added. Further alterations were made in the last quarter of the 19th century. It is privately owned. (43°50′6″N 0°48′26″E)
Berrac: The Château de Cadreils is believed to date from the 16th century. Additional building has been dated to 1689. The interior was remodelled in the 18th century. (44°0′22″N 0°33′46″E)
Cassaigne: has two castles, both privately owned. The Château de Cassaigne dates from the 13th, 15th and 18th centuries. Of note are the façades and roofs, including those of the common buildings, the moat and bridge, the 18th century dining room and its chimney and the ground floor kitchen in the north wing. The Château de Cassaigne has been listed as a monument historique since 1987. (43°54′30″N 0°20′9″E). The Château de Léberon was constructed in the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries and has been listed as a monument historique since 1963. (43°54′40″N 0°21′7″E)
Castéra-Lectourois: The Château de Castéra-Lectourois dates from the second half of the 15th century. Privately owned, the site has been listed as a monument historique since 1943. (43°58′33″N 0°36′29″E)
Castet-Arrouy: The Château de Gachepouy was built between 1579 and 1584 for Anne d' Aydie, baroness of Pordéac. A staircase tower, now destroyed, was added in 1601 for Catherine des Fontaines, by Raymond Salles, master mason of Lavit de Lomagne. (43°59′4″N 0°44′6″E)
Condom: The Château de Mothes dates from the last quarter of the 13th and first quarter of the 14th centuries, with additions from the 18th and 19th centuries. It is a privately owned monument historique, so listed since 1987. (44°0′49″N 0°25′28″E). The Château de Pouypardin dates from the last quarter of the 13th and first quarter of the 14th centuries, with additions in the 15th and 16th centuries. A monument historique since 1986, it is particularly noted for its orangery, tower, hall, staircase and roof. (43°59′31″N 0°19′45″E)
Courrensan: The Château de Courrensan was built in the 13thm 15th, 16th and 18th centuries. It has been protected as a monument historique since 1979 and is noteworthy especially for its 15th-century columned chimney in a second-floor room. A ground-floor room in the 18th-century wing contains impressive wood decoration. (43°51′0″N 0°14′31″E)
Espas: The Château d'Espas was originally constructed in the 13th and 14th centuries, with additions in the 17th century. Little of the original remains. (43°46′53″N 0°4′20″E)
Flamarens: See Château de Flamarens (44°1′0″N 0°47′31″E)
Gimbrède: A castle was built at Rouillac by Bertrand de Goth, Viscount of Lomagne, between 1311 and 1323. It was altered and enlarged in the 18th century. (44°1′16″N 0°42′29″E)
Homps: See Château d'Homps (43°48′39″N 0°51′22″E)
Labrihe: See Château de Bouvées (43°44′51″N 0°53′30″E)
Lagardère: The ruins of the Château de Lagardère date back to the last quarter of the 13th century. The castle has been listed as a monument historique since 1922. (43°50′29″N 0°19′26″E)
Larressingle: See Château de Larressingle (43°56′38″N 0°18′40″E)
Larroque-Engalin: The ruined castle dates originally from the 13th century. A residence and staircase tower were added in the second half of the 15th century or first half of the 16th. The castle has been listed as a monument historique since 1949. (43°59′25″N 0°32′26″E)
La Sauvetat: The Château de Sérillac was originally an ancient Gascon fortress. During the Renaissance, it was converted to a country residence. Every century from the 13th to the 18th is represented in its architecture and decoration. The castle, its grounds and the remains of the chapel have been listed as a monument historique since 2002. (43°51′16″N 0°32′23″E)
Laujuzan: The 13th/14th-century chapel of the Château de Lau is the property of the commune and a monument historique since 1981. The Chateau de Lau, originally 11th/12th, was remodelled in the 17th/18th centuries. It is currently in a state of ruin. (43°47′9″N 0°6′21″W)
Lavardens: The present massive structure dates from 1620 onwards, but is based around an earlier castle from the 13th century which was dismantled in 1496 by Charles VIII following a siege. (43°45′39″N 0°30′39″E)
L'Isle-Bouzon: The commune contains the remains of three castles. A 13th-century castle was founded by the Galard family. This was totally rebuilt in the 18th century. It is privately owned. The terrace and the supporting wall have been protected as a monument historique since 1995. A 12th/13th-century castle, once the property of the family of Galard de Magnasowned and now owned by the commune, has been protected since 1951. A third castle, rebuilt in the 16th century is now a ruin and in a poor state. It has also been protected since 1951.(43°55′45″N 0°43′43″E)
Lupiac: The Château de Castelmore is, by tradition, the birthplace of d'Artagnan. It is privately owned. (43°42′39″N 0°9′28″E)
Maignaut-Tauzia: The Château de Tauzia dates from the end of the 13th century, with alterations from the 16th. (43°53′39″N 0°23′20″E)
Mansencôme: The Château de Mansencôme was built in the 13th and 14th centuries. Transept windows were added in the 18th century. The castle is privately owned and has been a monument historique since 1927. (43°52′17″N 0°20′19″E)
Mauléon-d'Armagnac: The Château de Maniban, built in the 14th century and remodelled in the 17th, includes murals from the end of the 15th and early 16th centuries. (43°53′54″N 0°9′2″W)
Mérens: See Château de Mérens (43°45′10″N 0°32′21″E)
Monfort: The Château d'Esclignac is a castle built at the end of the 15th century and beginning of the 16th century, protected as a monument historique since 1958. (43°48′14″N 0°48′17″E)
Montesquiou: The Château de la Mothe was constructed in the 14th century and is now in ruins. It is a privately owned mounument historique, protected since 1941. (43°34′34″N 0°18′1″E)
Montréal: The Château de Balarin was constructed at the end of the 13th century on the frontier of what was then English territory. It underwent substantial modification at the end of the 15th century to make it habitable, most importantly, the addition of windows and a circular tower. Now ruined, it has been a protected monument historique since 1942. (43°57′53″N 0°15′2″E)
Pouylebon: Remains of a 13th-century castle, owned by the commune and a monument historique since 1940. (43°32′52″N 0°17′38″E)
Pouy-Roquelaure: The square castle with one upper floor is believed to date from the 16th century and was partially rebuilt in the 19th century. (44°2′11″N 0°31′11″E)
Roquebrune: The Château de Pujos dates from the 16th century is noted for its spiral staircase and original chimneys. It is privately owned. (43°42′46″N 0°18′15″E)
Saint-Avit-Frandat: See Château de Lacassagne (43°58′26″N 0°39′10″E)
Sainte-Gemme: The 13th-century castle, improved in the 16th and 17th centuries, is linked to the Gère family. With its chapel, registered as a monument historique.
Sainte-Mère: See Château de Sainte-Mère (44°0′20″N 0°40′1″E)
Saint-Georges: The Château du Bartas (or Barthas) dates from the second half of the 16th century. (43°43′28″N 0°55′32″E)
Saint-Jean-Poutge: See Château de Herrebouc (43°44′26″N 0°22′58″E)
Saint-Lary: The four-storeyed ruined castle dates from the 13th and 15th centuries. It is privately owned and has been listed as a monument historique since 1933.
Saint-Martin-d'Armagnac: The castle dates from 1563. (43°42′27″N 0°4′3″W)
Savignac-Mona: The 16th century Château de Savignac was altered in the early 17th century and in the last quarter of the 19th. It is privately owned. (43°29′20″N 1°0′32″E)
Seissan: The Château du Garranée was originally constructed in the 11th century. It was modified in the 13th, 14th and 15th centuries. (43°30′48″N 0°32′51″E) A tower is all that remains of another castle, believed to be 13th century, belonging to the abbots of Faget. The ground floor had no openings other than a small bay in the southern wall. It represented the typical medieval military architecture of the region. It was already in ruins at the French Revolution.
Sempesserre: All that remains of the castle is a tower, believed to date from the second half of the 16th or first half of the 17th centuries.
Termes-d'Armagnac: See Château de Thibault de Termes (43°40′17″N 0°0′46″W)
Terraube: See Château de Terraube (43°54′18″N 0°33′8″E)Castles in Hérault
There are numerous castles in the Hérault départment of France. Most are little more than ruins and many are barely discernible. Castles or their remains may be found at the following locations among others:
Agel: Medieval builders in the 12th century raised a castle whose location became the centre of the village. The castle controlled strategic routes. The present château comprises a central fortified tower, four other towers (two with a spiral staircase) and a pigeon loft, and is run as a hotel. It was listed as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture in 1979. (43°20′17″N 2°51′12″E)
Aumelas: The castle was built from limestone during the late 11th and early 12th centuries and includes the chapel, ditch and enceinte. The existence of the Saint-Sauveur chapel is documented from 1114. The castle was dismantled by royal troops in 1622. Since 1989, it has been listed as a monument historique. (43°35′52″N 3°36′32″E)
Autignac: The village retains vestiges of an ancient castle.
Bélarga: The Château de Bélarga probably dates from the 14th century. It was remodelled in the 15th century and the north wing from this period survives. During the first half of the 17th century a new castle was built to the north of the first. The original castle is mostly constructed from limestone. It is privately owned.
Brissac: The site was originally a Roman villa, but the castle dates from the 11th century. The North tower was added in the 12th century, with more additions later. During the 1960s it was bought by a visiting American businessman and his French wife. Being told it was going to be destroyed for a film they took pity and he spent the next nine years rebuilding it as sympathetically as possible. It is still privately owned. (43°52′30″N 3°42′7″E)
Cabrerolles: Village sited on an important route. The presence of a castle confirms the vital importance of this section of the high country. (43°32′50″N 3°7′29″E)
Cabrières: The castle was mentioned in Gregory of Tours' Historia Francorum ("History of the Franks"). The old village was built at the foot of the castle. The site was never unoccupied until Théodebert, future king of Austrasia left the castle to crown himself, accompanied by Deoteria, Countess of Cabrières. According to legend, before leaving for Lorraine, the future queen took care to pack in her baggage some local vine cuttings. These found the hillsides of Moselle to their liking and produced a wine in which the sun of Cabrières shone. (43°34′8″N 3°20′58″E)
Castelnau-de-Guers: This medieval village perched on rocky outcrop near Pézenas, takes its name from the Barons of Guers, who reigned at the Castelnau Castle until the 17th century. The feudal castle was first mentioned in 1069. Today, there remain the crenellated façade, a Romanesque doorway topped by a machicolation, curtain walls, the structure of the drawbridge and the Romanesque chapel. There is a magnificent panorama over the plain from the terrace. The site of the castle was listed as a monument historique in 2003. It is not open to the public. (43°26′7″N 3°26′17″E)
Cébazan: Château de Saint-Bauléry (43°24′25″N 3°0′16″E)
Clermont-l'Hérault: Remains of Château des Guilhem. Listed as a monument historique in 1927. (43°37′47″N 3°25′42″E)
Creissan: Castle constructed in the 10th century; the remains are in poor condition. (43°22′28″N 3°0′35″E)
Cruzy: Narrow village streets lead to a feudal castle from the 12th century, formerly the property of the Viscounts of Narbonne.
Dio: Mentioned from 533. The castle was built in the 12th century. A residence was added in the first half of the 17th century though it is not clear whether this was for Jean de l'Hom, treasurer of France, who owned the castle from 1602, or for Pierre de Fleury who owned it from 1630. The castle is constructed from sandstone. Since 1930, it has been listed as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture. (43°40′2″N 3°12′40″E)
Faugères: Medieval castle, 12th century.
Fontès: The ruins of the Château de Mazers are approximately 1 km west of Fontès, in woods just off the Neffiès road. They consist of three pieces of wall, up to 20 feet high, and remains of a circular retaining wall on a mound. (43°32′16″N 3°21′54″E)
Fos: The castle was built under the reign of Francis I. However, it is said that, well before then, Charlemagne fought the Saracens here. (43°33′57″N 3°14′46″E)
Ganges: Only ruins remain of the Château de Ganges. (43°56′06″N 3°42′33″E)
Laurens: Originally the site of a Roman villa and home for centurions. In the 12th century, the Knights Templar established the castle as a commandery. Surrounded by its Middle Ages walls, it is known as le petit Carcassonne (little Carcassonne). Modified in the 16th century, it was restored and remodelled in the 19th by Viollet-le-Duc. Listed as a monument historique in 1923, the site is privately owned and run as a hotel and the centre of a vineyard of 1.1 km² (270 acres) producing 4,200,000 litres a year. ( Website) (43°30′15″N 3°11′41″E)
Malavieille: Ruins in a poor state of preservation located in the commune of Mérifons, 8 miles (13 km) west of Clermont-l'Hérault. Recorded as a "castrum" in 1098, the present castle dates from the 12th and 13th centuries. In 1223, Amalric de Narbonne gave the castle to the bishops of Lodève. It was already abandoned by the 17th century. (43°38′9″N 3°15′58″E)
Margon: In the centre of Margon, this castle dates from the 15th century with additions and alterations from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. It consists of a courtyard with surrounding walls. Staircases lead to an enclosed park and terrasses (open to the public). The castle is inhabited but not, itself, open to visitors. It was listed as a monument historique by the Ministry of Culture in 1937. (43°29′11″N 3°18′22″E)
Marsillargues: Castle built by Guillaume de Nogaret in 1305, with additions from the 16th and 17th centuries. The castle has been owned by the municipality of Marsillargues since 1948. It was listed as a monument historique by the Ministry of Culture in 1995. (43°39′55″N 4°10′41″E)
Mourcairol: Ruined Middle Ages castle and fortifications in the Les Aires commune, a few miles south of Lamalou-les-Bains. The hilltop location provides extensive views of the region. The only complete part of the castle is the St Michel chapel. Restoration work is being carried out. (43°32′5″N 3°19′52″E)
Neffiès: The town is built in circular form around the castle.
Pégairolles-de-l'Escalette: 12th-century castle, altered in the 17th century. Closed to the public.It was listed as a monument historique by the Ministry of Culture in 1984.
Pézenas: Destroyed 1632. See Château de Pézenas
Pézènes-les-Mines: The Château de Pézènes is a feudal castle on the edge of the village, dominating the site from a rocky ridge. It was listed as a monument historique in 1981. (43°35′20″N 3°15′8″E)
Puissalicon: Restored castle from the fourth quarter of the 13th century. Listed as a monument historique in 1947 and protected since 1988.
Puisserguier: Remains of castle and walls from the 12th century.
Roquessels: The Château de Roquessels is now ruined, though the chapel remains. (43°33′9″N 3°13′24″E)
Thézan-lès-Béziers: Like many other villages in the region, Thézan is built around a hilltop surmounted with a medieval castle (the Château d'Aspiran de Ravanès) having a 14th-century façade, a large round tower from the 17th century and a gate bearing the date 1674.
Valros: Small castle/fort. See Fort de Valros.
Vendres: The remains of the 13th century Château de Vendres consist of a gatehouse and curtain wall, and remnants of the ramparts. It has been listed since 1926 as a monument historique.Hôtel de Crillon
The Hôtel de Crillon is a historic luxury hotel in Paris which opened in 1909 in a building dating to 1758. Located at the foot of the Champs-Élysées, the Crillon along with the Hôtel de la Marine is one of two identical stone palaces on the Place de la Concorde. It has been listed since 1900 as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture.With 78 guest rooms and 46 suites, ranging in price from U$1,350 to $15,000 per night, the hotel also features three restaurants, a bar, outdoor terrace, gym and health club on the premises. The hotel was extensively renovated from 2013 to 2017. In September 2018, the Crillon was officially designated by Atout France as a Palace grade of hotel.Hôtel de Sully
The Hôtel de Sully is a Louis XIII style hôtel particulier, or private mansion, located at 62 rue Saint-Antoine in the Marais, IV arrondissement, Paris. Built at the beginning of the 17th century, it is nowadays the seat of the Centre des monuments nationaux, the French national organization responsible for national heritage sites. It has been listed since 1862 as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture.Mairy-sur-Marne
Mairy-Sur-Marne is a village situated on the River Marne, which travels through Chalons-en-Champagne, Épernay and on in to Paris where it links on to the Seine. In the centre of the village is a church, the mayor's office and the village's 17th century Chateau.
Chateau de Mairy is a 'Monument Historique' set in 30 acres of grounds with its own private lake and chapel.
James II stayed regularly in the Chateau during his exile in France.
It was owned by the Loisson de Guinaumont since it was built in 1676.
It is now used as a period guest house and was owned by the Count of Guinaumont until 2004 when he died at the age of 98.
Mairy-sur-Marne is a commune in the Marne department in north-eastern France.Mont Saint Michel Abbey
The Mont Saint Michel Abbey is located within the city and island of Mont-Saint-Michel in Lower Normandy, in the department of Manche.
The abbey is an essential part of the structural composition of the town the feudal society constructed. On top, God, the abbey, and monastery; below this, the Great halls, then stores and housing, and at the bottom (outside the walls), fishermen's and farmers' housing.
The abbey has been protected as a French monument historique since 1862. Since 1979, the site as a whole – i.e., the Mont Saint-Michel and its bay – has been a UNESCO world heritage site and is managed by the Centre des monuments nationaux.With more than 1.335 million visitors in 2010, the abbey is among the most visited cultural sites in France.Neufchâtel-en-Saosnois
Neufchâtel-en-Saosnois is a commune in the Sarthe department in the region of Pays-de-la-Loire in north-western France.
The ruins of the Cistercian Perseigne Abbey, a monument historique, are located in the commune.Palais de justice historique de Lyon
The Palais de justice historique de Lyon is a building located Quai Romain Rolland, on the right bank of the Saône, in the 5th arrondissement of Lyon. In 1996, it was classified as monument historique.Perrecy-les-Forges
Perrecy-les-Forges is a commune in the Saône-et-Loire department in the region of Bourgogne in eastern France. It played a significant regional influence in the 14th-16th centuries.
The name of the commune indicates that the metallurgic industry has played a role in its economy. A forge from the 17th century, and former coal mines are among the places of interest of the commune.The church of Perrecy-les-Forges, built during the 12th century, is listed as a Monument historique since 1862 by the French Ministry of Culture.Plouescat
Plouescat (Breton: Ploueskad) is a commune in the Finistère department of Brittany in north-western France. It is a seaside resort, complete with a casino and a large camping and caravanning site, adjacent to its extensive beach of fine, powdery sand. The region is largely agricultural, specialising in artichokes, onions, cauliflowers and potatoes.
In the centre of the village is Les Halles - a remarkable timber-framed market hall dating from the early 15th Century which has been classified by the French Ministry of Culture as a Monument historique since 1915.The route of a former railway line provided the foundation for a new road, called Le boulevard de l'Europe, which by-passes Plouescat on its southern side.Pézènes-les-Mines
Pézènes-les-Mines (Languedocien: Pesena de las Minas) is a commune in the Hérault department in the Occitanie region in southern France. Until 1926, the commune was known simply as Pézènes; the name change was authorised by government decree.On the edge of the village is the Château de Pézènes, a feudal castle, dominating the site from a rocky ridge. It has been listed since 1981 as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture.Rue Bonaparte
Rue Bonaparte is a street in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. It spans the Quai Voltaire/Quai Malaquais to the Jardin du Luxembourg, crossing the Place Saint-Germain-des-Prés and the place Saint-Sulpice and has housed many of France's most famous names and institutions as well as other well-known figures from abroad. The street runs through the heart of the fashionable Left Bank and is characterised by a number of 'hôtels particuliers' (grand townhouses) and elegant apartment buildings as well as being bounded by the river at one end and the park at the other. With fifteen buildings or monuments classified as Monument Historique, it has more such listed sites than any other street in the 6th arrondissement.
Rue Bonaparte also has many literary associations and contains a number of bookshops, antiquarian booksellers, publishers and art galleries. Its architecture and location have made it one of Paris' most historic and sought-after residential addresses.Saint-Cloud Racecourse
Hippodrome de Saint-Cloud is a grass race course for Thoroughbred flat horse racing opened in 1901 at 1 rue du Camp Canadien in Saint-Cloud near Paris, France. During World War 1, the race course site housed the No. 4 Canadian Stationary Hospital operated by the Canadian Army Medical Corp. On July 8, 1916 the No. 4 CSH was elevated to the No. 8 Canadian General Hospital and operated until decommissioned in 1919. The facilities were built by politician and Thoroughbred owner/breeder Edmond Blanc (1856–1920) in whose honor the Prix Edmond Blanc was established in 1921.
The venue was used for some of the polo events for the 1924 Summer Olympics.
The Hippodrome de Saint-Cloud is host to a number of important races including the Group One Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud held at the end of June/first week of July each year, and the Critérium de Saint-Cloud run each November.
In 1992, the government declared Hippodrome de Saint-Cloud an official Monument historique.Théâtre des Bouffes du Nord
The Bouffes du Nord is a theater at 37 bis, boulevard de la Chapelle in the 10th arrondissement of Paris located near the Gare du Nord. It has been listed since 1993 as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture.Théâtre des Variétés
The Théâtre des Variétés is a theatre and "salle de spectacles" at 7-8, boulevard Montmartre, 2nd arrondissement, in Paris. It was declared a monument historique in 1975.Vendres
Vendres (Languedocien: Vèndres) is a commune in the Hérault department in the Occitanie region in southern France.