The Montenegrin Navy was established in 2006 following the secession of Montenegro from the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro. Nearly all of the navy's equipment was inherited from the armed forces of the State Union - as Montenegro contained the entire coastline of the former union, it retained practically the entire naval force.
Emblem of the Montenegrin Navy
|Branch||Military of Montenegro|
|Role||Control, protect and defend territorial sea|
|H/Q||Naval base Bar|
|Kotor class frigate||2 In active service||Yugoslavia||- P-33 Kotor
- P-34 Novi Sad
To remain in service until RTOP-405 and 406 are converted to patrol boats. Montenegro is currently looking for buyers for the ships. 
|Fast attack craft|
|Končar class fast attack craft||2 In active service||Yugoslavia||- RTOP-405 Jordan Nikolov Orce
- RTOP-406 Ante Banina
Both are to be converted to patrol boats. 
|Transport and support|
|PO-class||1 in reserve||Yugoslavia||- PO91|
|Salvage tug||2 in active service||Yugoslavia||- PR-41 (Orada)
|Jadran||1 in active service||Germany||Used as a training ship|
|Motor sailboat||2 in active service||Yugoslavia||- Bojana
|Diving boat||2 in active service||Yugoslavia||-Ronilačka baraksa 81
-Ronilačka barkasa 85
|Motor boat Polycat||1 in active service||Netherlands|
|Motor boat||1 in active service||Yugoslavia||- ČM 33|
|Valiant 620PT||2 in active service||United Kingdom||Used by Marine Platoon|
|Jadranka||1 for sale ||Yugoslavia||VIP Yacht|
|Floating crane||1 in active service||Yugoslavia||LDI 18|
Admiral is one of the highest ranks in some navies, and in many navies is the highest rank. It is usually abbreviated to "Adm" or "ADM". The rank is generally thought to have originated in Sicily from a conflation of Arabic: أمير البحر, amīr al-baḥr, "commander of the sea", with Latin admirabilis ("admirable") or admiratus ("admired"), although alternative etymologies derive the word directly from Latin, or from the Turkish military and naval rank miralay. The French version – amiral without the additional d – tends to add evidence for the Arab origin.
In the Commonwealth and the U.S., a "full" admiral is equivalent to a "full" general in the army, and is above vice admiral and below admiral of the fleet (or fleet admiral). In NATO, admirals have a rank code of OF-9 as a four-star rank.Armed Forces of Montenegro
The Armed Forces of Montenegro (Montenegrin: Vojska Crne Gore) consists of an army, navy and air force. There has been no conscription in Montenegro; the military is a fully professional standing army.
The military currently maintains a force of 1,950 active duty members, this number will be increased to 2,368 through 2019. The bulk of its equipment and forces were inherited from the Armed Forces of Serbia and Montenegro; as Montenegro contained the entire coastline of the former union, it retained practically the entire naval force.
In June 2017 Montenegro joined NATO as 29th member.Battle of the Dalmatian Channels
The Battle of the Dalmatian Channels was a three-day confrontation between three tactical groups of Yugoslav Navy ships and coastal artillery, and a detachment of naval commandos of the Croatian Navy fought on 14–16 November 1991 during the Croatian War of Independence. On 14 November, the commandos torpedoed the Mirna-class patrol boat PČ-176 Mukos close to the island of Brač in the Split Channel of the Adriatic Sea, prompting a Yugoslav naval bombardment of Brač and Šolta Island the same day. The drifting Mukos was salvaged by Croatian civilian boats and was beached at Nečujam bay.
The next day, a group of Yugoslav Navy vessels deployed to the Split Channel, organised into the Kaštela tactical group (TG) and bombarded the city of Split in retaliation for the loss of Mukos. In return, Croatian coastal artillery engaged the Kaštela TG. To draw off some of the artillery fire, the Yugoslav Navy deployed another group of vessels from the island of Vis, organised as the Vis TG, south of Šolta where the TG was engaged by more Croatian artillery. The Kaštela TG retreated east and joined with the Ploče TG consisting of three minesweepers.
On 16 November, the combined Yugoslav force sailed through the Korčula Channel—a strait separating the islands of Hvar and Korčula—to reach safety at the Yugoslav Navy base at Vis. The warships were then engaged by Croatian coastal artillery deployed on Korčula and the Pelješac Peninsula, losing two minesweepers to the artillery fire in the process.
The battle marked the last deployment of the Yugoslav Navy into one of the Dalmatian channels, the loosening of the naval blockade of the Croatian coast imposed in September and the largest Croatian Navy operation in the war. The Croatian Navy later towed the grounded Mukos to Šibenik, repaired the vessel and put her into service as OB-62 Šolta. During the battle, 22 Yugoslav Navy crewmen, two Croatian gunners and two civilian sailors in Split were killed. Thirty-three Yugoslav officers were charged in relation to the naval bombardment by Croatian authorities.H. C. Stülcken Sohn
H. C. Stülcken Sohn (also known as Stülcken-Werft) was a German shipbuilding company located in Hamburg and founded in 1846 by Heinrich Christoph Stülcken.During World War I the company built one single U-boat for the Kaiserliche Marine, the U-157, which under command of the famous Max Valentiner undertook the longest cruise in the war from November 27, 1917 to April 15, 1918, a total of 139 days. During World War II the company built 24 VIIC U-boats for the Kriegsmarine. The company used slave labour of the Neuengamme concentration camp with its own subcamp.After the war the company constructed several vessels for the Bundesmarine. In the 1950s the company developed the so-called Stülcken derrick, a lifting device for very heavy cargo.
In 1966 the company was absorbed by Blohm + Voss.Jadran (ship)
Jadran is a training ship powered both by sail and internal combustion built for the navy of Yugoslavia and now owned by the navy of Montenegro. It was built in Hamburg, in the HC Stülcken & Sohn shipyard, and launched on 25 June 1931. The construction cost 8,407,030 dinars, or 622,743 RM, and was funded in part by the Jadranska Guard maritime organization and in part by a loan taken from the Navy war reparations.
On 16 July 1933, at 10.00 hours, the ship arrived in Tivat, and was commissioned into the Yugoslav Royal Navy on 19 August 1933, although the commissioning ceremony (which included a salute with cannons) was held only on 6 September at Split. The ceremony, which lasted three days, was attended by representatives of the political and military leadership from the whole country. The ship joined the Adriatic fleet on 25 June 1934.
The vessel cruised several times in the Mediterranean Sea, and in the Atlantic Ocean three times.
During the German invasion of Yugoslavia in April 1941, the ship was based at Boka, in the Đenovici. The ship commanded underwater weapons, and South sector of naval defense. The crew was not complete due to the requirements of Yugoslavia's other fleet, but there were enough crew members to carry out task-transport unit within the bay.
Aircraft bombed the ship, but the crew several times opened fire on the low-flying aircraft. The crew remained on board until 17 April, when the destroyer Zagreb was sunk. It was surrendered to the Italian navy, which used it as a training ship under the new name Marco Polo. After the capitulation of Italy in 1943, the ship lay abandoned in Venice and began to decay. Its equipment was looted and at the end of the war, it was barely floating and was serving as a bridge in one of the Venetian canals.
At the request of the Yugoslav government and the ship was returned to Tivat. Immediately its restoration was begun in the Sava Kovačević marine-technical repair bureau. The crew was carefully chosen because a military enlistment lasted four years. Repairs began on 21 April 1947, and finished on 17 December 1948. The ship was ready for sailing, and served as part of the Vojnopomorskog school center in Divulje. With cruises began immediately and continued to the present day, being the right landing classroom.
In 1956 and 1957, further general repairs and reconstruction of the ship were done in Tivat. The ship was completely gutted, and its complete inventory and a mast were replaced. The deck was dismantled, new equipment installed and new sails were added. Ten years later, the ship was completely rebuilt and modernized once more in Tivatin Arsenal.
Jadran sailed to Barcelona in 2008 as part of an event organized by the International Union for Conservation of Nature for the 2008 World Conservation Congress. It sailed with 20 other sailboats, ranging from schooners to catamarans, and two research vessels.
Jadran is a barkentine with a displacement of 737 tons and a length of almost 60 metres (200 ft). The beam reaches 8.90 m (29 ft 2 in), intermediate draft is 4.05 m (13 ft 3 in), the main mast height 39.1 m (128 ft 3 in), and the deck surface totals 93.3 m2 (1,004 sq ft). Total length of rope is 11 kilometres (6.8 mi). The main motor is the "burmajster-alpha" 353 kN and develops a maximum speed of 10.4 knots (19.3 km/h; 12.0 mph). On the sailboat, there are three single, two double and three four-person cabins, one 12-berth and one 30 berth space.Končar-class missile boat
The Končar-class is a class of six missile boats built for the Yugoslav Navy during the late 1970s at Tito's Shipyard Kraljevica, SR Croatia. The boats featured a mixture of Western and Eastern equipment, including Soviet anti-ship missiles and Swedish guns.
During the Croatian War of Independence one ship, Vlado Ćetković, was captured by Croatian forces while being overhauled. It was eventually commissioned with the Croatian Navy as Šibenik and is still in use. The remaining five ships were relocated to Montenegro, entering service with the new FR Yugoslav Navy, with three of them being decommissioned in the early 2000s. The last two ships of the class are planned to be modified as patrol boats for service with the Montenegrin Navy.Kotor-class frigate
The Kotor-class is a pair of light frigates built for the Yugoslav Navy. Completed during the late 1980s at the Kraljevica Shipyard (Croatia), the design was based on that of the Soviet Koni-class. Most notably, the differences between the two include a modified superstructure and positioning the anti-ship missile launchers towards the bow on the Kotor-class ships.
At the start of the Croatian War of Independence the ships were relocated to Boka Kotorska where they were commissioned with the FR Yugoslav Navy of Serbia and Montenegro. They were passed on to the Montenegrin Navy after Montenegro declared independence in 2006. As of 2014 both ships are in active service as large patrol boats.List of naval ship classes in service
The list of naval ship classes in service includes all combatant surface classes in service currently with navies or armed forces and auxiliaries in the world. Ships are grouped by type, and listed alphabetically within.
For other vessels, see also:
List of submarine classes in service
List of auxiliary ship classes in serviceList of navies
This is a list of navies, present and historical.Mirna-class patrol boat
The Mirna class (referred to as the Type 171 in some sources) is a class of eleven patrol boats built for the Yugoslav Navy (Serbo-Croatian: Jugoslavenska ratna mornarica - JRM) by the Tito's Kraljevica Shipyard. Intended as a replacement for the earlier Type 131 boats, the new class was completed during the early 1980s and commissioned in the JRM Maritime Border Brigade.
Following the outbreak of the Croatian War of Independence, two boats were damaged and subsequently captured by Croatian forces, while another two were captured in the Šibenik Shipyard during the Battle of the Barracks. All four were commissioned in the Croatian Navy and are in active service as of 2017. The remaining seven boats were relocated to Boka Kotorska where they became part of the Navy of FR Yugoslavia. All seven were decommissioned during the early 2000s: two were handed over to the Ministry of Interior and scrapped in 2012 after seeing little service, while the remaining five were sold off to civilian owners.Montenegro
Montenegro ( (listen); Montenegrin: Црна Гора / Crna Gora [tsr̩̂ːnaː ɡɔ̌ra]) is a country in Southeastern Europe on the Adriatic Sea. It borders Bosnia and Herzegovina to the north; Serbia and the disputed country of Kosovo to the east, Albania to the south and Croatia to the west. Montenegro has an area of 13,812 square kilometres and a population of 678.000 most of whom are Orthodox Christians. Its capital Podgorica is one of the twenty-three municipalities in the country. Cetinje is designated as the Old Royal Capital.
During the Early Medieval period, three Serb principalities were located on the territory of modern-day Montenegro: Duklja, roughly corresponding to the southern half; Travunia, the west; and Rascia proper, the north. In 1042, archon Stefan Vojislav led a revolt that resulted in the independence of Duklja from the Byzantine Empire and the establishment of the Vojislavljević dynasty. The independent Principality of Zeta emerged in the 14th and 15th centuries, ruled by the House of Balšić between 1356 and 1421, and by the House of Crnojević between 1431 and 1498, when the name Montenegro started being used for the country. After falling under Ottoman rule, Montenegro regained de facto independence in 1697 under the rule of the House of Petrović-Njegoš, first under the theocratic rule of prince-bishops, before being transformed into a secular principality in 1852. Montenegro's de jure independence was recognised by the Great Powers at the Congress of Berlin in 1878, following the Montenegrin–Ottoman War. In 1905, the country became a kingdom. After World War I, it became part of Yugoslavia. Following the breakup of Yugoslavia, the republics of Serbia and Montenegro together established a federation known as the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, which was renamed State Union of Serbia and Montenegro in 2003. On the basis of an independence referendum held in May 2006, Montenegro declared independence and the federation peacefully dissolved on 3 June of that year.
Since 1990, the sovereign state of Montenegro has been governed by the Democratic Party of Socialists and its minor coalition partners. Classified by the World Bank as an upper middle-income country, Montenegro is a member of the UN, NATO, the World Trade Organization, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, the Council of Europe, and the Central European Free Trade Agreement. It is a founding member of the Union for the Mediterranean.Osa-class missile boat
The Project 205 Moskit (mosquito) more commonly known by their NATO reporting name Osa, are a class of missile boats developed for the Soviet Navy in the late 1950s. Until 1962 this was classified as a large torpedo boat.
The Osa class is probably the most numerous class of missile boats ever built, with over 400 vessels constructed between 1960–1973 for both the Soviet Navy and for export to allied countries. "Osa" means "wasp" in Russian, but it is not an official name. The boats were designated as "large missile cutters" in the Soviet Navy.PO-class
The PO-class consists of three small multi-role transport ships. They were built for the Yugoslav Navy by indigenous design made by Brodoprojekt Rijeka in the early 1980s at the BSO shipyard, Split, known as the Lubin class by NATO. They had a primary function of replenishing warships of the Yugoslav Navy with weapons, and as such were designated PO, short for (Serbian: Pomoćni oružar) (Ammunition Auxiliary) The first of class, Lubin (PO-91), remains in service, now in the Montenegrin Navy.RBU-6000
The RBU-6000 Smerch-2 (Реактивно-Бомбовая Установка, Reaktivno-Bombovaja Ustanovka; reaction engine-bomb installation & Смерч; waterspout) is a 213 mm caliber Soviet anti-submarine weapon rocket launcher. It is similar in principle to the Royal Navy Hedgehog system used during the Second World War. The system entered service in 1960-61 and is fitted to a wide range of Russian surface vessels. It consists of a horseshoe shaped arrangement of twelve launch barrels, that are remotely directed by the Burya fire control system (that can also control the shorter ranged RBU-1000). It fires RGB-60 unguided depth charges. The rockets are normally fired in salvos of 1, 2, 4, 8 or 12 rounds. Reloading is automatic, with individual rounds being fed into the launcher by the 60UP loading system from a below deck magazine. Typical magazine capacity is either 72 or 96 rounds per launcher. It can also be used as a shore bombardment system.
The RPK-8 system is an upgrade of the RBU-6000 system, firing the 90R rocket, which is actively guided in the water. This allows it to home in on targets at depths of up to 1,000 meters. The warhead is a 19.5 kg shaped charge, which enables it to punch through the hulls of submarines. It can also be used against divers and torpedoes. System response time is reported to be 15 seconds and a single-salvo has a kill probability of 0.8. RPK-8 entered service in 1991 and mounted on Project 1154 and 11356 frigates. Serial production of the upgraded 90R1 rocket was launched in 2017.
RBU-6000 were the most widespread anti-submarine rocket launchers in the Soviet Navy, used on many ship classes.Rumija (ship)
Rumija was a steam yacht that served the Montenegrin navy from 1905 to 1915. It had two masts, and was 47.78 metres long and 6.10 metres wide.
Rumija was purchased in England by the Ottoman Turks and carried the name Zaza. In January 1905, Turkish Sultan Abdul Hamid II gifted the yacht to Prince Nicholas I of Montenegro. The yacht, sailing under Turkish sailors, arrived at Pristan on 1 January 1905 to be taken over by the Montenegrin crew two days later, on 3 January. Two days later, loaded with 15 tonnes of coal, the prince's new yacht set sail for the Bay of Kotor and it cast anchor in Meljine. During the first few months, Zaza was used to transport the royal family from the Bay to Albania.
On 23 March 1905, Prince Nicholas, while on board Zaza, held a ceremony which formally commenced the construction of the Port of Bar.
Montenegrin Crown Prince Daniel, while taking a cruise down the Bojana River on 28 July 1908, had decided to rename Zaza Rumija. The name Rumija may have been chosen in part because the Rumija mountain range is located near the Bojana River.Sava-class submarine
The Sava class was a class of diesel-electric attack submarines built for the Yugoslav Navy during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Developed by the Brodarski institut (BI) from Zagreb, the two strong class was built by the Brodogradilište specijalnih objekata (Special objects shipyard) in Split. They were intendend as a replacement for the aging Sutjeska-class submarines. Compared to the earlier Heroj class, the Sava class was longer with more powerful armament that consisted of six torpedo tubes that could also be used for minelaying.
With the start of the Croatian War of Independence, both submarines were relocated to Boka Kotorska where they would be commissioned with the new FR Yugoslav Navy of, what would eventually become, Serbia and Montenegro. Both were decommissioned during the early 2000s.Srzentić
Srzentić (Serbian Cyrillic: Срзентић), sometimes Srezentić (Срезентић), is a Serbian surname and family. There was a Srzentić brotherhood (family) of the historical Paštrovići tribe; seven houses recorded in Brda (1960), and two houses recorded in Sotonići (1941, 1960). The brotherhood has the slava (patron saint veneration) of St. Nicholas (Nikoljdan). It was earlier called Ćuda. The family has been connected to the Zanović family. It may refer to:
SrzentićMilan Srzentić (1893–1914), Montenegrin navy captain.SrezentićVaso Srezentić, Serbian banker during the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.
Spiro Srezentić, Yugoslav military attache and political instructor to the Albanian army.
Mirko Srezentić, Serbian student, whose murder sparked the February demonstrations in 1935.
Nikola Srezentić, SAP Vojvodina delegate (fl. 1973–86).Yugoslav Navy
The Yugoslav Navy (Serbo-Croatian: Jugoslavenska Ratna Mornarica, Југословенска Pатна Mорнарица, lit. Yugoslavian War Navy), was the navy of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. It was essentially a coastal defense force with the mission of preventing enemy landings along the Yugoslavia's rugged 4,000- kilometer shoreline or coastal islands, and contesting an enemy blockade or control of the strategic Strait of Otranto.
In 1990 it had 10,000 sailors (4,400 conscripts), including 2,300 in 25 coastal artillery batteries and 900 marines in one light naval infantry brigade.