View of Monk Bretton High Street, featuring the ancient Butter Cross
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Monk Bretton has been a settlement since medieval times and was originally known as just 'Bretton'. It is sometimes thought to have taken its name from the twelfth-century Adam fitz Swain de Bretton, whose family owned much land in the area and who also founded Monk Bretton Priory. However, in the Domesday Book of 1086 the area is already known as Brettone, and the name may have originally meant 'Farmstead of the Britons', suggesting that a remnant of the old Romano-British population may have lived here into the Anglo-Saxon period. According to Domesday Book, the local Saxon lord in 1066 had been an individual called Wulfmer, who by 1086 had been replaced by a Norman lord, Illbert de Lacey, a major landholder associated with many other locations in the county. By 1225 the village was referred to as Munkebretton, ‘munke’ referring to the monks of the nearby Priory.
In 1444, Sir William de Bretton gave to Thomas Haryngton, esquire, and other trustees, lands and tenements in Monk Bretton, which his father and grandfather had leased to the prior and convent for a term of years.
The mediaeval village cross, today known as the ‘Butter Cross’, still survives, standing at the junction of High Street and Cross Street. This precious monument had the go ahead for a traffic island to protect it in 2011. The scheme, costing £106,000 also saw the road junction widened for buses and other large vehicles to pass on the correct side of the road rather than the opposite as in previous years. The cross may have had a social as well as a religious function, a place to meet and hear news. The village park also shows traces of mediaeval ridge and furrow cultivation.
An act of 1609 gave all freeholders of Monk Bretton manorial rights and, since it was not repealed, technically everyone who owns freehold property or land is a ‘lord’ of the village.
On Burton Bank is a Quaker burial ground dating from the 1650s. The land was donated by a local benefactor, George Ellis, and the first recorded burial on the site took place in 1657. Later a small meeting house was erected, which became a focus for local Quakers up until the 19th century. An almshouse was founded in 1654 by a Dame Mary Talbot and was still in existence 180 years later.
Although the nearby Priory formed a Christian community (until dissolution by Henry VIII), Monk Bretton did not possess a church until 1838. The village formed part of the extensive parish of Royston. In 1838 the foundation stone for the first church was laid on a site donated by Sir George Wombwell, at the corner of Cross Street and Burton Road. A new chapelry district, separating Monk Bretton (with Cudworth) from Royston parish and enabling 'baptisms, churchings and burials', was created by Queen Victoria by an order in Council on 22 July 1843. The first church was replaced (on the same site) by the present St Paul's Church in 1878. The church, built in the late Decorated style, is now a grade II listed building. The churchyard contains 16 burials from the 1866 Oaks Colliery explosion.
In 1801, Monk Bretton had a population of 480. By the 1870s, this had grown to just over 1900, according to John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870–72. Wilson also stated that besides its church, Monk Bretton had three Methodist chapels, as well as a national school and six alms-houses.
Monk Bretton Colliery opened in 1870, extracting coal from the Barnsley Seam. The colliery was modernised on nationalisation and pit head baths, which still stand today, were opened. A village Miners' Welfare Hall was opened in Cross Street. The colliery was closed in 1968.
Monk Bretton once possessed some of the most historic buildings in the Barnsley area, but these were never preserved. The Manor House and several other interesting structures on Cross Street and High Street disappeared in the 1960s. Also demolished was Monk Bretton 'Castle', a folly on Burton Bank built by a local priest as a look-out tower or observatory and subsequently used for the lighting of beacons on occasions such as royal events and the end of wars. Only Manor Farm remains, and the oldest structure still standing is a 17th-century barn at the junction of Cross Street and Westgate, belonging to the farm. The village greatly expanded in the 19th and 20th centuries with the building of new housing estates, so that today Monk Bretton more or less merges into nearby Lundwood, Carlton, Athersley and Smithies.
The village is served by several pubs, shops, a post office, library and various other local amenities, and is a 10-minute car journey from Barnsley town centre. A Stagecoach bus service connects the village with Barnsley Interchange. The railway station closed in 1937, though the railway remains in place serving a glass works.
There is a disused former Quaker burial ground, a site described by Barnsley historian Brian Elliott as being 'of regional and national importance, as one of the earliest Quaker burial grounds in the country'. There is also a modern cemetery, which contains the grave of former Barnsley, Manchester United and England striker Tommy Taylor, who was killed in the Munich air disaster on 6 February 1958. He was born in Barnsley on 29 January 1932 and lived in the town until he joined Manchester United in 1953.
The nearby Priory of St Mary Magdalene of Lund, a ruined former Cluniac (later Benedictine) house, is commonly known as Monk Bretton Priory although it actually lies outside the modern village in what is today called Lundwood and close to the old hamlet of Littleworth. The Priory, Littleworth and the village were all constituent parts of the manor of Monk Bretton.
The Ardagh Glass plant, previously Redfearns Glass, lies at the edge of the village and was formerly the largest glassworks in Europe. It keeps alive Barnsley's glassmaking tradition, represented by a glassblower on the Barnsley coat of arms.
A war memorial stands on Cross Street, consisting of a paved area and two large pillars bearing the names of Monk Bretton's war dead from the Great War.
Monk Bretton has an 8.7 acre park featuring a wildlife pond. The site shows undulations indicative of ridge and furrow cultivation. The Monk Bretton Miners' Welfare Committee was granted £4,760 in 1925 for the purpose of purchasing the former farmland for recreational use. In 1927 it was conveyed to the County Borough of Barnsley to be held in trust. The inscription MINERS' WELFARE SCHEME 1925 can still be seen on the old gateposts at the eastern end of the park. To the north of the park lies Winn's Wood.
The ‘Butter Cross’ or ‘Market Cross’ at the junction of Cross Street and High Street is mediaeval in origin and was converted into a lamp post in the early 1800s.
The Working Men's Club on Cross Street was founded in 1888. It is said to be the oldest Working Men's Club left in the county still to be in its original building. Two of Monk Bretton's pubs, the Pheasant Inn on High Street and the Sun Inn on Burton Road, are marked on Ordnance Survey maps from 1855.
George Wood, an early member of a prominent local gentry family, was born in Monk Bretton in 1534 and died there in 1589. He was the ancestor of the 19th century Liberal politician Charles Wood, who took the title 1st Viscount Halifax of Monk Bretton for his 1866 peerage. Famous people from Monk Bretton include Yorkshire, Essex and England cricketer Darren Gough. Keith Laybourn, long serving Professor of History at Huddersfield University, was born in Monk Bretton. Julian Booker, Professor of Mechanical Design Engineering at the University of Bristol was born in Monk Bretton. As a youth, the renowned cricket umpire Dickie Bird is said to have worked at the colliery.
The 2012 Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council election took place on 3 May 2012 to elect members of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council in South Yorkshire, England. One third of the council will be up for election.2018 Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council election
The 2018 Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council election is due to take place on 3 May 2018 to elect members of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council in England. This will be on the same day as other local elections.Abdy
Abdy is a hamlet in South Yorkshire, England. Abdy is located about 2 miles (3.2 km) west of Swinton.
The earliest reference to Abdy is in the 13th century in the cartulary of Monk Bretton Priory. It is possible that it was founded as a medieval grange and that its name is derived from the French for abbey (in this case Monk Bretton Priory or Roche Abbey).
Earthworks for a Roman Ridge Dyke runs along the southern and eastern sides of Abdy. To the north of the village is Wath Golf Course.Baron Monk Bretton
Baron Monk Bretton, of Conyboro and Hurstpierpoint in the County of Sussex, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created by letters patent on 4 November 1884 for the Liberal politician John George Dodson. He was succeeded by his son, the second Baron. He was notably chairman of the London County Council from 1929 to 1930. As of 2017 the title is held by the latter's son, the third Baron, who succeeded in 1933.
The judge Sir John Dodson was the father of the first Baron.Brinckman baronets
The Broadhead, later Brinckman Baronetcy, of Burton or Monk Bretton in the County of York, is a title in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom. It was created on 30 September 1831 for Theodore Broadhead, Member of Parliament for Yarmouth. In 1842 he resumed by Royal Licence the old family surname of Brinckman in lieu of his patronymic. Brinckman was the son of Theodore Broadhead, who also represented Yarmouth in the House of Commons, son of Theodore Broadhead, High Sheriff of Surrey in 1786, who assumed the surname of Broadhead in lieu of Brinckman by Act of Parliament. The latter's grandfather Theodore, Baron Brinckman, had emigrated to Britain from Hanover. The first Baronet was succeeded by his eldest son, the second Baronet. He sat as Liberal Member of Parliament for Canterbury. His grandson, the fourth Baronet died childless in 1954 and was succeeded by his younger brother, the fifth Baronet. The latter was a Colonel in the Grenadier Guards, Aide-de-Camp to the Governor of Victoria and to the Governor-General of Canada and Chief of Staff to the British Military Mission in Moscow during the Second World War.Darren Gough
Darren Gough (born 18 September 1970) is a retired English cricketer and former captain of Yorkshire County Cricket Club. The spearhead of England's bowling attack through much of the 1990s, he is England's second highest wicket-taker in one-day internationals with 234, and took 229 wickets in his 58 Test matches, making him England's ninth most successful wicket-taker.
Gough was a right arm fast bowler and right-handed batsman. 1.80 m (5' 11") and broad in beam, he achieved his pace from a good approach to the wicket and a leaping sideways-on action, achieving what was often described as "skiddy" fast bowling. Capable of swinging the ball late, a large number of his wickets were gained through lbw or bowled, often with an inswinging yorker delivery.
Gough retired at the end of the 2008 cricket season with Justin Langer as his final first-class wicket. Langer commented in his BBC column that "Darren Gough will retire as one of the most respected and admired cricketers of our generation",
also noting that Gough had commented to Langer after his final match "I am happy to finish with an Aussie in my pocket." Gough retired on a high being regarded as a model professional and a Yorkshire legend.Grade I listed buildings in South Yorkshire
There are 62 Grade I listed buildings in South Yorkshire, England. In the United Kingdom, the term listed building refers to a building or other structure officially designated as being of special architectural, historical or cultural significance; Grade I structures are those considered to be "buildings of exceptional interest". In England, the authority for listing under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 rests with Historic England, a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.John Dodson
John Dodson may refer to:
John Dodson (fighter) (born 1984), American professional mixed martial arts fighter
John Dodson (judge) (1780–1858), English judge
John George Dodson, 1st Baron Monk Bretton (1825–1897), British Liberal politician, son of the above
John Dillingham Dodson, proposed the Yerkes–Dodson Law relating motivation and habit
John Dodson, 3rd Baron Monk Bretton (born 1924), agriculturist and landowner
John Dodson, 2nd Baron Monk Bretton (1869–1933), British diplomatJohn Dodson, 2nd Baron Monk Bretton
John William Dodson, 2nd Baron Monk Bretton, CB (22 September 1869 – 29 July 1933) was a British diplomat, sometime chairman of London County Council, and landowner.
The only son of the first Lord Monk Bretton, Dodson was educated at Eton (1883–1887), and New College, Oxford, (BA, 1891, 3rd class, Modern history). Was called to the Bar at the Inner Temple, June, 1891.
In 1894 he entered the Diplomatic Service. Appointed Honorary Attaché to the Legation at Tangier, December 28, 1896; and was for some time Honorary Attaché at Constantinople. Variously also appointed Honorary Attache to the Embassy at Paris, February 1, 1894. Transferred to Constantinople, October 1, 1895. He was an Honorary Attache in Paris (from 1 February 1894) and Constantinople (from 1 October 1895), where he made reports on the massacre of Armenian Christians at Constantinople, 1896, and returned to England after succeeding to the barony on 25 May 1897. He resigned on 1 October 1897.From March 1899 to November 1900 he was assistant Private Secretary to the Secretary for Foreign Affairs, Lord Salisbury, and then 1900–1903 he was Principal Private Secretary to Secretary of State for the Colonies, Joseph Chamberlain, in South Africa.
Between 1912–1914 he was Alderman of the London County Council (LCC); after the war he represented Clapham from 1922; he was chairman of the Parliamentary Committee (1925–1929); and he was chairman of the Council itself, 1929–1930. This was a suitable peak as Joe Chamberlain had once said of him: 'Monk Bretton knows more about local government than any other man of my acquaintance'.
The Times obituary described him:
'Throughout his life he showed an unflagging perseverance in every sphere to which he devoted himself, but he never allowed his industry to overwhelm him, as it does with some with his temperament'.
He was also a JP; Deputy Lieutenant (Sussex); in politics a Unionist; a subaltern in 1st Cinque Port Rifle Volunteers, and during the First World War he was a Major in the Sussex Yeomanry and was attached to the Naval Intelligence Department. He was a member of the Travellers' and Brooks's Clubs.
At Firle, on 19 August 1911, he married Ruth, daughter of the Hon. Charles Brand (4th son of Mr. Speaker Brand) of Little Dene, near Lewes, by Alice Emma Sturgis, daughter of Sylvain Van de Weyer.
In London he lived at 6 Seamore place, Mayfair (that whole street was demolished c. 1938), then at 16 Princes Gardens, Knightsbridge SW7, and finally at 11 Vale Avenue (The Vale), SW3.
He died aged 63 in a nursing home in Brighton on 29 July and was buried in the family vault at Barcombe in East Sussex, on 1 August 1933. He was succeeded by his only son, John Charles Dodson.John Dodson, 3rd Baron Monk Bretton
John Charles Dodson, 3rd Baron Monk Bretton DL (born 17 July 1924) is an agriculturist, Sussex landowner, UK peer of the realm, and long–serving member of the House of Lords.
John Dodson succeeded his father, John William Dodson, in 1933.He was only nine years old. Educated at Westminster and New College, Oxford, he became a member of Brooks's in 1949. He married Zoe Scott in 1958, and has two sons.Between 1966-68 Lord and Lady Monk Bretton had Raymond Erith re-model a Queen Anne house his great-grandfather, Sir John Dodson, had acquired near Barcombe from the family of Percy Bysshe Shelley. The Dodsons had hitherto largely just rented it out; Bosie, Lord Alfred Douglas, for example, was a tenant circa 1920. The house, Shelley's Folly, Erith described as 'a little pavilion, on a knoll, built for the view'. Monk Bretton, having consequently sold another larger and newer nearby house, lived there until moving to Switzerland in 2004.
He has been a Deputy Lieutenant for East Sussex since 1983, and a stalwart of the South of England Agricultural Society show, at Ardingly, since its foundation in 1967.
Following expulsion from the House of Lords in 1999 he moved to the Lake Geneva northern shore.John George Dodson, 1st Baron Monk Bretton
John George Dodson, 1st Baron Monk Bretton, PC (18 October 1825 – 25 May 1897), known before 1884 as John George Dodson, was a British Liberal politician. He was Chairman of Ways and Means (Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons) between 1865 and 1872 and later held office under William Ewart Gladstone as Financial Secretary to the Treasury, President of the Local Government Board and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. In 1884 he was elevated to the peerage as Baron Monk Bretton.List of monastic houses in South Yorkshire
The following is a list of monastic houses in South Yorkshire, England.
Alien houses are included, as are smaller establishments such as cells and notable monastic granges (particularly those with resident monks), and also camerae of the military orders of monks (Knights Templars and Knights Hospitaller). The numerous monastic hospitals per se are not included here unless at some time the foundation had, or was purported to have the status or function of an abbey, priory, friary or preceptor/commandery.
The name of the county is given where there is reference to an establishment in another county. Where the county has changed since the foundation's dissolution the modern county is given in parentheses, and in instances where the referenced foundation ceased to exist before the unification of England, the kingdom is given, followed by the modern county in parentheses.
== Abbreviations and key ==
Locations with names in italics indicate probable duplication (misidentification with another location) or non-existent foundations (either erroneous reference or proposed foundation never implemented) or ecclesiastical establishments with a monastic appellation but lacking monastic connection.
== Related articles ==Lundwood
Lundwood is an area of Barnsley in South Yorkshire, England.Monk Bretton Bridge
The Monk Bretton Bridge is a road bridge over the River Rother in Rye, East Sussex. It carries the A259 road, a major road between Folkestone and Hastings, and is the most downstream crossing of the river. The area around the river beyond this resembles saltmarsh compared to that further upstream.The bridge was planned as a replacement for a ferry over the river that carried fisherman traffic from Camber and East Guldeford to the fish market at Rye. It opened on 25 April 1893 at a cost of £3,160 (£344,000 as of 2018) and was named after John George Dodson, 1st Baron Monk Bretton. The bridge was constructed by a deck supported on two sets of iron piles. It was later reinforced with concrete.The Rye and Camber Tramway opened in 1895, with the Rye station located east of the River Rother. It did not connect to the main railway line (now the Marshlink line); instead passengers travelled between the two stations via the Monk Bretton Bridge.The bridge was closed in October 2007 for refurbishment, involving lengthy detours.Monk Bretton Priory
Monk Bretton Priory is a ruined medieval priory located in the village of Lundwood, and close to Monk Bretton, South Yorkshire, England.Monk Bretton railway station
Monk Bretton railway station was a railway station that served the village of Monk Bretton, South Yorkshire, England. It was opened in 1876 by the Midland Railway in their characteristic country style and is sited on the line between Barnsley Court House and Cudworth. The station was double track with two flanking platforms approached from the nearby road over bridge, the main buildings being on the Barnsley bound platform. A signal box, in typical Midland Railway design, was situated at the outer end of the Cudworth platform.
The station closed on 27 September 1937 though the line to Monk Bretton remained open and now serves a glassworks in the village where the line stops.Smithies, South Yorkshire
Smithies is an area of Barnsley in South Yorkshire, England. It lies about two miles north east of the town centre.
Smithies was historically a village in the township of Monk Bretton in the parish of Royston in the West Riding of Yorkshire, on the border with the township of Carlton. Monk Bretton became a separate civil parish in 1866, and in 1921 was absorbed into the County Borough of Barnsley. In 1974 the county borough was abolished, and Smithies became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley in the new county of South Yorkshire.Ted Harston
Edwin "Ted" Harston (27 February 1907 – 1971) was an English footballer who played in The Football League for six different clubs, and notably scored 55 league goals in a single season for Mansfield Town.
A native of Monk Bretton near Barnsley, Harston began his professional career at Sheffield Wednesday whom he joined in 1928 from amateur team Cudworth Village. He remained a reserve at Wednesday, and joined Barnsley in May 1930. He then spent three years at Reading, where he despite an excellent goalscoring record only played sporadically.In 1934, he joined Bristol City where he spent just over one season, before Mansfield Town paid £250 for his services in October 1935. He made his debut for the Stags against Southport on 19 October 1935, and scored a hat-trick on his debut. In his first season with Mansfield, he scored 26 goals in 29 league games and also scored once in the FA Cup, easily topping the club's goalscoring chart.
The following season, he was even more prolific, scoring 55 goals in 41 league games and finished top scorer in Division Three North, also scoring three goals in two FA Cup games. In all, he scored three or more goals eight times during the 1936–37 season, including an astonishing seven goals in Mansfield's 8–2 win against Hartlepools United on 23 January 1937.In the summer of 1937, Harston moved to Liverpool for a £3,000 transfer fee. He scored three goals in five games for the Reds, but then suffered a broken leg which effectively ended his career.
He died in 1971, in Rochester, Kent.Ugo (retailer)
UGO was a chain of convenience stores in the United Kingdom owned by the Haldanes Group and was started in January 2011.
It acquired twenty mid size Netto supermarkets in the North and Midlands of England from the chain Asda, and turned them into UGO stores; these stores were in: Athersley, Ashington, Blackburn, Boothferry, Bradford, Burnley, Bury, Carcroft, Eston, Hartlepool, Hull (two stores), Kirkby, Lundwood, Monk Bretton, Nuneaton, Retford, Rotherham, Stanley and Wavertree.
Additionally, the Haldanes stores in Biddulph (Staffordshire) and Broxburn (Scotland) were converted to the UGO branding; these two stores remained in the ownership of Haldanes Stores, another company in the Haldanes Group. The UGO strategy was to double Netto's existing core range of branded grocery lines to around 3,000 more items, plus more fresher bakery items from the Haldanes acquired Woodhead Bakery.UGO have appeared twice on television in the United Kingdom. It appeared on Channel 4's Come Dine With Me when a contestant was filmed shopping for the programme in the store in Blackburn, and appeared on Channel 4's Facejacker, which aired on 27 March 2012 at 10pm, in the Nuneaton store, when the self service checkout was 'taken over'.In June 2011, Haldanes Stores went into administration, and its stores closed, including the two stores branded as UGO. In February 2012, UGO Stores was itself placed in administration, and the chain was bought by Poundstretcher, in a pre pack sale, with 18 of the twenty stores to become part of the Poundstretcher chain and the other two (Nuneaton, Hull) to close as Poundstretcher already had stores nearby.