Mios Woendi is an island and was a forward base for United States Navy during World War II. The US Navy code word for the base located in Schouten Islands, was Stinker. The island is in an atoll southeast of Biak, Indonesia.
This is a list of PT boat bases used by the US Navy during World War II.USS Crux (AK-115)
USS Crux (AK-115) was a Crater-class cargo ship commissioned by the U.S. Navy for service in World War II, named after the constellation Crux. She was responsible for delivering troops, goods and equipment to locations in the war zone.USS Currituck (AV-7)
USS Currituck (AV-7) was the first of four Currituck class seaplane tenders, and was nicknamed the Wild Goose. She was built during World War II and served during the Cold War.
The second US ship to be named for the Currituck Sound, the Currituck (AV-7), was launched 11 September 1943 by Philadelphia Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. M. F. Draemel; and commissioned 26 June 1944, Captain W. A. Evans in command.USS Dufilho
USS Dufilho (DE-423), a John C. Butler-class destroyer escort, is the only ship of the United States Navy to be named for Marion William Dufilho. She was laid down 31 January 1944 by Brown Shipbuilding of Houston, Texas, launched 9 March 1944, sponsored by Mrs. M. W. Dufilho, widow of Lieutenant Dufilho, and commissioned 21 July 1944, Commander A. H. Nienau, USNR, in command.
The USS Dufilho escorted USS Vixen with Admiral Royal E. Ingersoll, Commander-in-Chief, Atlantic Fleet embarked on a tour of inspection of the Caribbean naval bases between 18 September and 19 October 1944. After a voyage to Casablanca, French Morocco, as escort for USS Kasaan Bay from 24 October to 14 November, Dufilho sailed from Norfolk 7 December for the Pacific, passed through the Panama Canal on 17 December, crossed the Equator on 20 December, and arrived at Manus, Admiralty Islands, 15 January 1945.USS Griffin (AS-13)
USS Griffin (AS-13), originally Mormacpenn, a United States Maritime Commission Type C3 pre-war cargo ship, was launched by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock, Chester, Pennsylvania, 11 October 1939. She served briefly with Moore-McConnack, Inc., was acquired by the Navy in 1940, renamed Griffin (AS-13) and converted to a submarine tender at Robbins Dry Dock and Repair Company, Brooklyn, N.Y. Griffin commissioned 31 July 1941, Comdr. S. D. Jupp in command.
Her conversion completed in September 1941, Griffin conducted shakedown off the East Coast and sailed with a sub squadron to Newfoundland 22 November 1941. Recalled to Newport, Rhode Island, after Pearl Harbor, the ship was assigned to the United States Pacific Fleet, and departed 14 February 1942 for Australia.
Griffin arrived Brisbane 15 April 1942 to tend Submarine Squadron 5. Early in the war, the United States developed a major submarine base in Australia; and submarines tended by Griffin struck hard at Japanese shipping while surface forces strengthened themselves for the first Pacific offensives. During this period Griffin also repaired merchant ships at a time of great need. The tender departed Brisbane for the Fiji Islands 11 November 1942 and 1 December 1942 sailed to Bora Bora to escort Submarine Division 53 to the Panama Canal Zone. Arriving Balboa 7 January 1943, Griffin continued north to Oakland, California, arriving 20 January 1943.
After repairs at San Diego, California, Griffin again departed for the Pacific, sailing 27 April 1943. She arrived Pearl Harbor 4 May 1943 to take up her vital support duties, and remained until 3 January 1944. The ship performed refits, battle repairs, and general upkeep on submarines before sailing to Mare Island to arrive 10 January 1944.
Griffin returned to Pearl Harbor 17 March 1944, and departed 8 April 1944 for the great submarine base at Fremantle, Western Australia. She arrived 8 May and immediately set about servicing the growing submarine fleet. The tender remained at Fremantle until 20 November 1944, during her Stay founding a rubber fabrication shop which solved one of the great shortages on board the submarines. She then moved closer to the Japanese shipping lanes at Mios Woendi, New Guinea, arriving 9 December 1944. There she tended submarines, surface craft of all kinds, and even lent her repair equipment to shore facilities. Griffin remained at Mios Woendi until 1 February 1945 when she sailed for Subic Bay, via Leyte.
Arriving 10 February 1945, Griffin set up one of the initial submarine repair facilities in the Philippines since 1942. She also helped to salvage damaged destroyer La Vallette (DD-448). Shifting base, the tender sailed 22 March 1945 via Leyte, and arrived in the Hawaiian Islands 10 April 1945. After a brief stay at Pearl she departed 10 May 1945 for Midway, arrived 4 days later, and set up another repair facility for submarines. By that time submarines supported by Griffin had practically annihilated Japanese merchant shipping and had played a decisive role in the great Pacific offensive. She remained at Midway until 10 September 1945, then sailed to Pearl Harbor and San Francisco, entering the bay 24 September. Decommissioned at Mare Island 12 October 1945, the ship was placed in reserve. Later she transferred to the Stockton group, Pacific Reserve Fleet, where she remained in reserve, in service, tending reserve submarines, until at least 1967.
She was stricken in 1972 and transferred to MARAD. She was sold in 1973.USS Gualala (AOG-28)
USS Gualala (AOG-28) was a Mettawee-class gasoline tanker acquired by the U.S. Navy for the dangerous task of transporting gasoline to warships in the fleet, and to remote Navy stations.
Gualala was launched 3 June 1944, by the East Coast Ship Yard Inc., Bayonne, New Jersey, under a Maritime Commission contract; acquired by the Navy 19 August 1944; and commissioned 25 August 1944, Lt. Gerald T. Allworth, USCG, in command.USS Indus (AKN-1)
USS Indus (AKN-1) was the lead ship of the Indus-class of converted liberty ship net cargo ships in the service of the United States Navy in World War II. Named after the constellation Indus, it was the only ship of the Navy to bear this name.
Indus was laid down 4 October 1943 as liberty ship SS Theodore Roosevelt (MCE hull 1814) by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard, Baltimore, Maryland, under a Maritime Commission contract; launched 29 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. William MacMillan, granddaughter of President Theodore Roosevelt; acquired by the Navy 5 November 1943; converted at the Maryland Drydock Company; and renamed Indus. She commissioned 15 February 1944, Commander. A. S. Einmo in command.
After the installation of additional equipment at Norfolk, the net cargo ship conducted shakedown in Chesapeake Bay until 14 March 1944. She sailed from Norfolk 1 April for the Pacific theater, via the Canal Zone, and arrived Espiritu Santo 12 May 1944. Her first assignment was the installation of nets in Seeadler Harbor, and she arrived there 1 June 1944 to direct and support the work of net-laying ships. With these important anti-torpedo nets completed, the ship departed 29 July to load gear at Milne Bay, New Guinea, arriving Mios Woendi to install nets 30 August. Indus then returned to Milne Bay 27 September, and soon afterward became flagship for Commander 7th Fleet Service Forces during the Leyte operation. She sailed 12 October for Hollandia and arrived Leyte Gulf 24 October to support that vital operation. The versatile ship issued stores and did repair work during this period, and during the numerous air raids shot down at least two Japanese aircraft. She departed 6 December for Hollandia where she loaded additional gear and provisions.
As the next major assault in the Philippines, the Lingayen Gulf operation, began to take shape at staging bases, Indus joined the service group and departed 28 December for the landing. Although the Japanese made desperate air attacks on the convoy, sinking some ships but suffering heavy losses themselves, the fleet resolutely drove through to its objective. Indus arrived safely at the assault area 9 January 1945 and performed service duties during the initial landing stages. Departing 23 February, the ship sailed to the recaptured base at Subic Bay and on 28 February began to establish net defenses. She continued this vital work until departing 11 May for Hollandia, where she arrived two days later.
Indus returned to the Manila Bay area 24 May to unload supplies, then sailed 1 June for Pearl Harbor. She remained there until 30 June, when she sailed with net gear for Eniwetok Atoll, for work on the net defenses there. The veteran ship returned to Pearl Harbor in August, and was in port when the surrender of Japan was announced. She subsequently carried cargo and did net work at Eniwetok, Saipan, and Kwajalein until the end of 1945. She returned to Norfolk 14 March 1946, via the Panama Canal, decommissioned at Norfolk 20 May 1946, and was returned to the Maritime Commission 3 days later. Placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet under her old name, she was berthed at Wilmington, North Carolina until she was scrapped in 1967.
Indus received one battle star for World War II service.USS Orestes (AGP-10)
USS Orestes (AGP-10) was a motor torpedo boat tender that served in the United States Navy from 1944 to 1946.
Orestes was laid down as landing ship tank USS LST–135 at Chicago Bridge and Iron Company, Seneca, Illinois, on 8 July 1943, and launched on 16 November 1943, sponsored by Mrs. Bernard Sharp. Prior to completion, she was converted into a motor torpedo boat tender at Maryland Drydock Company, Baltimore, Maryland. Redesignated AGP-10, she was commissioned as USS Orestes (AGP–10) on 25 April 1944 with Lieutenant Kenneth N. Mueller in command.
Successfully concluding her shakedown out of Hampton Roads, Virginia, on 23 May 1944, Orestes prepared for World War II duty in the Pacific. Departing Chesapeake Bay on 5 June 1944, she transited the Panama Canal and, after a stop-over at Bora Bora, sailed on to New Guinea. She began motor torpedo boat tending operations at Aitape on 23 August 1944, transferred to Mios Woendi a month later, and on 12 November 1944 joined General Douglas MacArthur’s Philippines invasion forces at Leyte. In the Leyte area control of the air was still disputed and Japanese air attacks were numerous. On 24 November 1944 Orestes’ gunners got their first confirmed kills, two Mitsubishi A6M “Zeke” (Zero) fighters.
Late in January 4, 1945, while Orestes was in a Mindoro-bound convoy designated "Uncle plus 15" with 30 patrol torpedo boats (PT boats) and 50 other vessels, Japanese planes made life tenuous. On 30 December 1944, an Aichi D3A “Val” dive bomber came in low on the starboard side and crashed into Orestes amidships, causing heavy damage and killing 45 members of her crew. In a series of sweeps by boat PT-350, commanded by Lieutenant Thomas A. Dent (USNR), about 70 men were rescued from the burning Orestes. Fifteen more were plucked from the sea. Lieutenant Dent was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for heroism in the saving of the lives of American Naval personnel in action. Accompanying landing craft infantry (LCIs) finally brought the resulting fires under control and Orestes was beached. Landing ship tank USS LST-708 later towed Orestes back to Leyte on 27 January 1945, and after temporary repairs Orestes departed Leyte on 24 February 1945 on a slow voyage back to the United States, arriving at Terminal Island, California, on 13 May 1945. There shipyard personnel went to work and 202,500 man-hours of labor later they had completely rejuvenated Orestes.
Orestes departed the United States on a second trip to the Pacific war zone on 8 August 1945, but the war with Japan ended on 15 August 1945 and the Japanese surrender had been formalized (on 2 September 1945) by the time she reached Guinan Harbor, Samar, in the Philippines. Orestes served under the Commander Motor Torpedo Boats, Philippine Sea Frontier, until 17 December 1945, when she sailed eastward with naval passengers for Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and the United States, arriving at San Pedro, California, on 3 February 1946.
Orestes made a month-long round trip to the Panama Canal Zone, then was deactivated. She decommissioned on 29 April 1946 at Oakland, California, and was struck from the Navy List on 23 April 1947. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 15 March 1948 and then was sold to the Walter W. Johnson Company of San Francisco for scrapping.
Orestes received two battle stars for her World War II service.USS Orion (AS-18)
USS Orion (AS–18) was a Fulton-class submarine tender of the United States Navy. She was laid down 31 July 1941 at the Moore Dry Dock Company, Oakland, California; launched 24 June 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Robert A. White; and commissioned 30 September 1943, Capt. C. S. Isgrig in command.USS Oyster Bay (AGP-6)
USS Oyster Bay (AGP-6), originally and later AVP-28, was a United States Navy motor torpedo boat tender in commission from 1943 to 1946. She saw service in World War II.
From 1957 to 1993, the former Oyster Bay served in the Italian Navy as the special forces tender Pietro Cavezzale (A 5301).USS Portunus (AGP-4)
USS Portunus (AGP-4) was an LST-1-class tank landing ship acquired by the U.S. Navy for use during World War II as a motor torpedo boat (MTB) tender. She was named after a Roman god of the sea, who had jurisdiction over ports and the shores.
Portunus was laid down as LST-330 by the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, 12 November 1942; launched 11 February 1943 as Portunus (AGP-4); and commissioned at Baltimore, Maryland, 12 June 1943, Lt. Comdr. James R. Hanna in command.USS Raton
USS Raton (SS/SSR/AGSS-270), a Gato-class submarine, was a ship of the United States Navy named for the raton, a polynemoid fish inhabiting semitropical waters off the Pacific coast of America.
Raton (SS-270), an attack submarine, was laid down 29 May 1942 by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., Manitowoc, Wisc.; launched 24 January 1943; sponsored by Mrs. C. C. West and commissioned 13 July 1943, Lt. Comdr. J. W. Davis in command.
Following training in Lake Michigan and at Coco Solo, C.Z., Raton sailed for the southwest Pacific 19 September 1943, and upon arriving at Brisbane, Australia, on 16 October, joined Submarine Force, 7th Fleet.USS San Pablo (AVP-30)
USS San Pablo (AVP-30) was a United States Navy Barnegat-class seaplane tender which was in commission as such from 1943 to 1947 and then served as a commissioned hydrographic survey ship, redesignated AGS-30, from 1948 to 1969. Thus far, she has been the only ship of the United States Navy to be named for San Pablo Bay, a shallow northern extension of San Francisco Bay in California.USS Thomason (DE-203)
USS Thomason (DE-203) was a Buckley-class destroyer escort of the United States Navy in World War II. She was named in honor of Marine Raider Sergeant Clyde A. Thomason (1914–1942), the first Marine to be awarded the Medal of Honor in World War II — posthumously, for heroism during the Makin Island raid.
Thomason was laid down on 5 June 1943 at the Charleston Navy Yard; launched on 23 August 1943; sponsored by Miss Sara Jeanette Thomason; and commissioned on 10 December 1943, Lieutenant Commander Charles B. Henriques, USNR, in command.
The destroyer escort held shakedown training in the Bermuda area and performed convoy escort duty along the east coast from Newport, R.I., to Panama. She transited the Panama Canal on 21 March 1944 and headed for the New Hebrides. The ship called at Galapagos, the Society Islands, and Samoa before arriving at Espiritu Santo on 18 April. She joined the U.S. 3d Fleet and, in addition to performing antisubmarine duty in Indispensable Strait which separates Guadalcanal and Malaita Islands, escorted ships to Guadalcanal.
On 26 May, the DE arrived at Cape Cretin to join the U.S. 7th Fleet for operations along the coast of New Guinea. On 3 June, the ship got underway for Wakde and arrived there the following week. On the 13th, her gunners helped Army antiaircraft units repel an enemy air attack. Six days later, she took Army artillery observers along the coast to Sarmi where she shelled enemy emplacements and an air strip. The ship operated from Wakde until 7 August when she shifted her base of operations to Noemfoor, Schouten Islands. In early September, she returned to Espiritu Santo for an overhaul.
On 4 October, DE-203 stood out to sea to rendezvous with two ammunition ships to escort them to the Palaus. She remained at Kossol Passage for a month, serving as harbor entrance control ship before returning to Hollandia. On 6 November, the destroyer got underway for Maffin Bay. Two days later, Thomason and Neuendorf (DE-200) bombarded Sarmi and targets along the bay. With the aid of Army spotting planes, the two ships set fire to enemy storehouses and several other buildings.
Thomason headed for the Philippines on 9 November in the screen of a large convoy of landing craft and supply ships. She arrived in Leyte Gulf on the 15th and sailed the same day with a convoy bound for Hollandia. The destroyer escort then conducted intensive antiaircraft and antisubmarine training at Mios Woendi and landing exercises at Aitape with attack transports that were scheduled to participate in the invasion of Lingayen Gulf.
On 28 December 1944, the destroyer escort sortied for Luzon with Task Group 78.1 (TG 78.1), the San Fabian Attack Force. En route to the Philippines, she was detached to accompany two fuel oil tankers who were scheduled to refuel the escort ships of Task Force 79 (TF 79), which was also en route to Lingayen Gulf.
Thomason began antisubmarine patrols in Mangarin Bay, off Mindoro on 7 January 1945. One month later, she and Neuendorf began antisubmarine patrol duty off the west coast of Luzon. At 22:22 on 7 February, Thomason's SL surface radar made a contact at a range of 14 miles (26 km), which was thought to be a small boat. She closed the range and challenged the craft with a flashing light. There was no answer, and surface radar lost contact. However, sonar soon made an underwater contact.
The escort made a hedgehog run but did not fire because she was going too fast. She made another run and fired a pattern of hedgehogs. On both runs, a large submerged mass, outlined by phosphorescence, was seen moving through the water at a depth of between 25 and 50 feet. Four to six of the hedgehogs detonated almost simultaneously, and contact with the target was lost. A heavy oil slick, 250 yards in diameter, rose to the surface. The two ships patrolled until late in the morning, in an expanding search pattern, but never regained contact with the Japanese submarine. RO-55 had been sunk in over 800 fathoms (1,500 m) of water.
Thomason returned to Mangarin Bay where she resumed antisubmarine patrols. On the 24th, she rescued four airmen who had bailed out of their burning B-24 Liberator bomber. From March through August, the ship was engaged in antisubmarine patrols and escort duty between various Philippine ports, Palau, and Hollandia. On 15 August 1945, the Japanese surrendered to the Allies. In September, she escorted two convoys from Luzon to Okinawa. On 4 October, Thomason stood out of Subic Bay and headed for the United States. She called at San Francisco, California on the 27th and moved to San Diego for inactivation. Thomason was decommissioned on 22 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 30 June 1968. On 30 June 1969, she was sold to the National Metal & Steel Corp., Terminal Island, Long Beach, Calif., for scrap.
Thomason received three battle stars for World War II service.USS Varuna (AGP-5)
USS Varuna (AGP-5) was a Portunus-class motor torpedo boat tender of the United States Navy during World War II.
The ship was laid down on 23 August 1942 by the Dravo Corporation at Neville Island, Pennsylvania as the LST-1-class tank landing ship LST-14. Launched on 9 December 1942, sponsored by Mrs. R. J. Mitchell, the ship was renamed Varuna and redesignated AGP-5 on 13 January 1943, and completed as an LST by Dravo Corp. on 26 March 1943. Placed in reduced commission on that date, she was towed to Tampa, Florida, where she was converted to a motor torpedo boat tender (AGP), and commissioned on 31 August 1943, Lt. Comdr. L. W. Borst, USNR, in command.USS Victoria (AO-46)
USS Victoria (AO-46) was an oiler for the United States Navy in World War II, and the second ship to bear the name. She was built in 1917 as SS George G. Henry in San Francisco for the Los Angeles Petroleum Company. During World War I, the ship was requisitioned by the U.S. Navy and employed as USS George G. Henry (ID-1560). Between the two world wars and at the beginning of the second, she served as a civilian tanker, initially under American registry, but later under Panamanian registry.USS Willoughby (AGP-9)
The second USS Willoughby (AGP-9) was a motor torpedo boat tender that served in the United States Navy from 1944 to 1946, seeing service in the later stages of World War II. Transferred to the United States Coast Guard in 1946, she was in commission as the cutter USCGC Gresham (WAVP-387), later WHEC-387 and WAGW-387, from 1947 to 1969 and from 1970 to 1973, seeing service in the Vietnam War during her Coast Guard career.USS Wright (AV-1)
USS Wright (AZ-1/AV-1) was a one-of-a-kind auxiliary ship in the United States Navy, named for aviation pioneer Orville Wright.VPB-34
VPB-34 was a Patrol Bombing Squadron of the U.S. Navy. The squadron was established as Patrol Squadron 34 (VP-34) on 16 April 1942, redesignated Patrol Bombing Squadron 34 (VPB-34) on 1 October 1944 and disestablished on 7 April 1945.