Millis is a town in Norfolk County in the U.S. state of Massachusetts. It is a small town with a population of 7,891 according to the 2010 census. The town is approximately 19 miles (31 km) southwest of downtown Boston and is bordered by Norfolk, Sherborn, Holliston, Medfield, and Medway. Massachusetts state routes 109 and 115 run through Millis.
Veterans Memorial Building
In unitate vis (Latin "Strength in Unity")
Location in Norfolk County in Massachusetts
|• Type||Open town meeting|
|• Total||12.3 sq mi (31.8 km2)|
|• Land||12.2 sq mi (31.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||163 ft (50 m)|
|• Density||646.8/sq mi (250.5/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|Area code(s)||508 / 774|
|GNIS feature ID||0618324|
Millis was first settled in 1657 and was officially incorporated in 1885. Millis was originally part of Dedham, until that town granted the lands of Millis, and other present day surrounding towns, to Medfield in 1651. In 1713, pioneers of Medfield applied for a grant to create a new town and, when approved, named this new land Medway. This new town consisted of West Medway (the present day town of Medway) and East Medway (present day Millis). Lansing Millis, the founder of the town of Millis, successfully incorporated Millis into the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on February 24, 1885.
Lansing Millis was successful in turning the small town of Millis into an important area of Massachusetts. Lansing Millis, who was widely known as a railroad entrepreneur, built up a strong rail system in Millis. This was arguably his most important accomplishment, as the rail system is regarded as the most significant factor in its independence from Medway. In addition, the railroad system was a major factor in the early promotion of economic growth in the town and the integration of Millis to the larger cities of Dedham, Boston and Cambridge. Currently, this old railroad that formerly began in Medway is known as the Bay Colony Railroad. The Medway tracks have since been dismantled, making Millis the railroad's western terminus. The railroad is now mostly defunct, but several miles of the Bay Colony tracks in Millis are owned by the MBTA and are leased by the Bay Colony Railroad line. The Bay Colony Railroad merges with the present day MBTA Commuter Rail in Needham.
Aside from the tremendous contribution of the rail system to Millis' integration with the major Massachusetts cities, another important moment in the town's history is the construction of the Hartford and Dedham Turnpike, known today as Massachusetts Route 109. The road was constructed in 1806 and officially accepted by the town of Millis in 1896. The Hartford and Dedham Turnpike connected Millis, Medway, Medfield, and several other towns directly to Dedham and Boston. Today, Route 109 still serves as a major road connecting Metrowest Boston communities to the city of Boston.
Millis was the home of the nationally famous "Millis Lights". The "Millis Lights" were a display of Christmas decorations and lights on the 40-acre (160,000 m2) Causeway Street estate of Kevin Meehan, the owner of several car dealerships. In 2004, Al Roker traveled to Millis for a segment centered on the "Millis Lights". After the publicity on The Today Show, an estimated 7,000 cars traveled to the "Millis Lights" daily during the Christmas season.
The industrial history of Millis is long and varied, beginning with the water power of a small establishment named Hinsdell's mill. Soon, Millis grew from a small new town with a mill to a successful industrial society. Numerous industries opened up in the town and stimulated employment and growth. Some of these industries include the Holbrook factories, which included a bell foundry, organ manufactory, and organ pipe manufactory, Clicquot Club, and Herman Shoe Company; the latter two being the most notable industries in the town's history.
Today the prominent employers in the town are Tresca Brothers Sand & Gravel and Roche Bros. Supermarket. Millis was also home to a thriving automobile recycling industry located in the western, industrial section of town.
The Herman Shoe Company was an extremely important industry in town. The Herman Shoe Company, a result of several private buyouts, produced large amounts of material, specifically boots and other equipment, during the Spanish–American War. In addition, it produced most of the boots worn by the troops during World War II.
The company is now out of business and the former factory stands empty in the Clicquot neighborhood, next to the former Clicquot Club factory. It has recently been bought by a private entrepreneur who renovated the building, but there is no news on what will become of it.
Cliquot Club was started by Henry Millis, using funds from his father and founder of Millis, Lansing Millis. The company, which distributed the first brand of ginger ale in the United States for about eighty years, was located on Main Street and is the namesake for the village of Clicquot in Millis. The ginger ale produced by Clicquot Club was made using local Millis ginger. Later, the company produced several different sodas and was the first company in the nation to can drinks. Clicquot Club owned more than 100 factories throughout the United States and sold its beverages internationally. As sales declined in the 1960s, however, the company went bankrupt and was bought by the Cott company, which in turn was acquired by Canada Dry.
An area of land around Causeway Street, although now a rural street in the west of town, was once a huge industrial hub for the early town of Millis. This area of Causeway Street was used for clay excavation for the manufacture of bricks, as well as sand excavation. The clay excavations were turned into bricks that built many large estates and buildings in the immediate area and beyond. The remnants of clay pits today look like small ponds. In fact, one of the clay pits is so large that it is now a body of water named Heather’s Pond. These abandoned pits are home to many species of wildlife and are protected along with the Great Black Swamp. Historically, the sand from the pits was used to fill in the most recent runway at Logan International Airport. Today, the remnants of old sand pits lay vacant.
The several large brickyards around Causeway Street were owned by a few wealthy families. One of these estates, the Clark Family estate, was later the home to former Massachusetts Governor and United States Secretary of State Christian Herter.
One of the most important sites in Millis is Richardson’s Tavern, which was built circa 1720. This tavern accommodated George Washington for lunch on his way to Cambridge in 1775. It is rumored that Nathan Hale and the Marquis de Lafayette also stopped at the tavern to dine.
Millis’ cemetery, called Prospect Hill Cemetery, is home to the grave of Christian Herter, the United States Secretary of State under President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Secretary Herter lived on a large farm on Causeway Street in Millis and, it is rumored, when summoned to Washington, D.C., he left his farm directly by helicopter to Logan International Airport. Prospect Hill Cemetery is listed on the National Historic Register.
The history of Millis is closely tied with King Philip's War of 1675 to 1676. On February 21, 1676, Native Americans killed 17 Medfield citizens and destroyed half of the town (32 houses, two mills, and many barns). Immediately after this attack, the Native Americans under King Philip (Metacom) fled to Millis where they held a grand feast. This spot is marked by “The King Phillip Trees”, which are two hundred year old trees protected by the Millis Historical Society. The next day, on February 22, the Native American forces led an offensive against the Fayerbanke Palisades at Boggestowe Farms, which are in present-day Millis. This attack was repulsed, as well as a second attack, which occurred on May 6.
There are many areas of town-administered land, which helps to protect the environment and limit development. In addition, Millis has several wells and is home to various large farms.
The Charles River runs through Millis and the town has other smaller streams and brooks; most notably Bogastow Brook. Bogastow Brook, named after the Indian tribe formerly inhabiting the area, rises in East Holliston and runs through Millis, emptying in Millis’ South End Pond.
Millis is also home to the Great Black Swamp. This swamp, covering hundreds of acres, is a very important characteristic of Millis. This swamp geographically divides Millis from its neighboring town Medway, and is a significant factor in the separation of the two towns in 1885.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 12.3 square miles (32 km2). Of this, 12.2 square miles (32 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (0.90%) is water.
The Millis educational system is served by Clyde F. Brown Elementary School and Millis Middle/High School. The Millis public school system is the smallest public school system in the state of Massachusetts. Currently, the elementary schools serves students in PR-K through grade 4. In 2005, the graduating class of Millis High School was 73 students, and was one of the larger classes of the past few years. However, it was not as large as the 2003 graduating class with 79 students. The current class of 2008 contains approximately 60 students.
In 1999, Millis Middle/High School underwent a complete renovation, costing millions of dollars.
The Millis Public Library is the only library in the town and is part of the Minuteman Library Network.
In 2006 Millis ranked first in the state, alongside the Boston Latin School, for English MCAS scores. Millis also came in tenth in the state in the Math portion of the MCAS in the same year.
In 2007 Millis was awarded the Blue Ribbon School Of Excellence award by the Federal Government under the No Child Left Behind Act. In addition, Millis High School has been awarded with Silver Medal status is U.S. News & World Report's  online ranking of U.S. highschools.
In 2010, Millis earned Silver Medal status as one of America's Best High Schools in U.S. News & World Report's latest ranking of public high schools. The magazine editors analyzed 18,743 high schools in the United States and ranked Millis High School in the top 3% 
In 2008 the Millis Girls Volleyball, Soccer, and Basketball team all won a Div. 3 state championship.
The Millis football team has won the past two SuperBowls (2016, 2017) and are in discussion of being the greatest highschool football team in MA, led by captain Ryan Daniel both years.
|* = population estimate. Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data.|
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,902 people, 3,004 households, and 2,162 families residing in the town. The population density was 650.0 people per square mile (250.9/km²). There were 3,066 housing units at an average density of 252.2 per square mile (97.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 96.94% White, 0.71% African American, 0.14% Native American, 1.14% Asian, 0.24% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.94% of the population. The ethnic make-up of the town is diverse. The four largest ethnicities reported in the town are 29% Irish, 16% Italian, 11% English, and 7% German. There are many other smaller percentages of several ethnic groups, such as Arab, French, Scottish, Greek, Russian, and Bulgarian, among others.
There were 3,004 households out of which 37.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.3% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.0% were non-families. 22.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.12.
In the town, the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 5.0% from 18 to 24, 33.6% from 25 to 44, 25.1% from 45 to 64, and 9.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 93.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $62,806, and the median income for a family was $72,171. Males had a median income of $51,250 versus $35,556 for females. The per capita income for the town was $37,957. About 3.0% of families and 2.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.8% of those under age 18 and 2.3% of those age 65 or over.
Bridge Island Meadows is an 80-acre (320,000 m2) nature reserve owned by The Trustees of Reservations on the floodplains of the upper Charles River in Millis, Massachusetts. The property was a 1974 gift from Dr. and Mrs. John D. Constable to the Trustees of Reservations. The property is surrounded by wetlands, and is only accessible by boat.Cedariver
Cedariver, formerly known as The Baker Reservation, is a 55-acre (22 ha) open space preserve located on the Charles River in Millis, Massachusetts. The property, acquired in 2004 by the land conservation non-profit organization The Trustees of Reservations, includes farm fields, woodlots, and 1-mile (1.6 km) of river frontage.
Cedariver is open to hiking, picnicing, car-top boating, cross country skiing, and other passive pursuits. A trailhead is located on Forest Road in Millis. The property was a 2004 gift of the family of Polly Baker.Charles Church Roberts
Charles Church Roberts (March 6, 1882 – March 8, 1957) was a United States Navy sailor and a recipient of the United States military's highest decoration, the Medal of Honor. He was awarded the medal for his actions during a fire aboard the USS North Dakota (BB-29) in 1910. He later served in World War I and became a commissioned officer.Charles Wesley Emerson
Charles Wesley Emerson (1837 - 1908) was the founder, namesake and first president of Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts. Charles Emerson was also the author of a number of books dealing with oratory and a minister with the Unitarian Church.Christian Herter
Christian Archibald Herter (March 28, 1895 – December 30, 1966) was an American politician who was the 59th Governor of Massachusetts from 1953 to 1957 and United States Secretary of State from 1959 to 1961. His moderate tone of negotiations was confronted by the intensity of Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev in a series of unpleasant episodes that turned the Cold War even colder in 1960-61.Harold P. Williams
Harold Putnam Williams (October 2, 1882 in Foxboro, Massachusetts – August 6, 1963) was an American attorney and judge who served as the United States Attorney for the District of Massachusetts from 1925 to 1926 and as an Associate Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court from 1947 to 1962.Haskell Curry
Haskell Brooks Curry (; September 12, 1900 – September 1, 1982) was an American mathematician and logician. Curry is best known for his work in combinatory logic. While the initial concept of combinatory logic was based on a single paper by Moses Schönfinkel, Curry did much of the development. Curry is also known for Curry's paradox and the Curry–Howard correspondence. There are three programming languages named after him, Haskell, Brook and Curry, as well as the concept of currying, a technique used for transforming functions in mathematics and computer science.Isaac Kramnick
Isaac Kramnick (born 1938) is an American historian, social scientist and the Richard J. Schwartz Professor of Government at Cornell University. He is a subject-matter expert on English and American political thought and history.John Partridge House
The John Partridge House is a historic house at 315 Exchange Street in Millis, Massachusetts. It is a 2-1/2 story wood frame house, five bays wide, with a side gable roof, large central chimney, a front entry with Greek Revival surround. It was built in the second half of the 17th century (the exact date being disputed), and is among the oldest buildings in the town. John Partridge, Sr. or his son John, Jr. was its likely builder, the former having been granted the land in 1659.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.Matthew Boldy
Matthew Boldy (born April 5, 2001) is an American collegiate ice hockey forward who is currently playing with Boston College in the Hockey East (HE). He was drafted 12th overall by the Minnesota Wild in the first round of the 2019 NHL Entry Draft.Millis
Millis may refer to:
Millis, Massachusetts, a town in Norfolk County, Massachusetts, United States
Millis (MBTA station), a former train station in that town
Millis Branch, a rail line formerly ending at that station
Millis High School
Millis, Syria, a village in SyriaMillis Center Historic District
The Millis Center Historic District is a historic district on Curve, Daniels, Exchange, Irving, Lavender, Main, Union Streets in Millis, Massachusetts. The district encompasses the historic mid-to-late-19th century village center of the town, including the residential area north of Main Street, and two 19th-century industrial complexes, along with civic and institutional buildings. The district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.Millis High School
Millis High School is a public high school in Millis, Massachusetts. The school building consists of both the middle school and high school (grades 5–12).Millis station
Millis was a railroad station in Millis, Massachusetts. It served the Millis Branch (formerly the West Medway Branch), and opened in 1886.Misha Defonseca
Misha Defonseca (born Monique de Wael; 12 May 1937 in Etterbeek) is a Belgian-born writer and the author of a fictitious Holocaust memoir titled Misha: A Mémoire of the Holocaust Years, first published in 1997 and at that time professed to be a true memoir. It became an instant success in Europe and was translated into 18 languages. The French version of the book was a derivative work based on the original with the title Survivre avec les loups that was published in 1997 by the Éditions Robert Laffont; this second version was adapted into the French film Survivre avec les loups (Surviving with Wolves).
On 29 February 2008, the author as well as her lawyers admitted that the bestselling book was a lie, and was not based on true events, despite it having been presented as autobiographical.
In 2014 a court ordered Defonseca to repay her publisher $22 million.Prospect Hill Cemetery (Millis, Massachusetts)
Prospect Hill Cemetery is a historic cemetery on Auburn Road in Millis, Massachusetts. Founded in 1714, it is the town's only cemetery. Covering more than 18 acres (7.3 ha), it has more than 2,800 burials. Among those buried in the cemetery are politician Christian Herter, who served as U.S. Secretary of State and Governor of Massachusetts, and two Medal of Honor recipients, Charles Church Roberts and William D. Newland. The cemetery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.Robert J. Yered
Robert James Yered was a United States Coast Guardsman who was awarded the Silver Star Medal for his actions during the Vietnam War.Rudolph King
Rudolph Francis King (November 2, 1887 – September 10, 1961) was an American politician who served as a member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives from 1937–44 and was House Speaker from 1943-1944. Born in Horton Bluff, Nova Scotia, he had previously served as a member of the School Committee, Board of Assessors, and the Board of Health and Cemeteries and was the Town Moderator and Chairman of the Board of Selectman in Millis, Massachusetts.King resigned from the House on August 16, 1944 to become Registrar of Motor Vehicles. In 1946 he was nominated by Governor Maurice J. Tobin to serve as State Commissioner of Public Works, but refused the offer. In 1957, King was forced to retire following a vote by the Massachusetts Governor's Council to remove King from office after he reached the state's mandatory retirement age of 70.King was an unsuccessful candidate for a seat on the Governor's Council during the 1958 election.King died on September 10, 1961 in Millis, Massachusetts.William D. Newland
William D. Newland (January 5, 1841–1914) was a United States Navy sailor and a recipient of America's highest military decoration—the Medal of Honor—for his actions in the American Civil War.
Municipalities and communities of Norfolk County, Massachusetts, United States