Millbury is a town in Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States. The population was 13,261 at the 2010 census. The town is part of the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor.
The Torrey House
|• Type||Open town meeting|
| • Town|
|David J. Marciello|
|• Total||16.3 sq mi (42.1 km2)|
|• Land||15.7 sq mi (40.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||417 ft (127 m)|
|• Density||810/sq mi (310/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern)|
|Area code(s)||508 / 774|
|GNIS feature ID||0618373|
Millbury was first settled by Europeans in 1716 and was incorporated as a town in 1813.
Millbury has a long history as a New England mill town, from which the town's name is derived. The Blackstone River flows through the town which during the Industrial Revolution provided much of the water power to the town's many textile mills and factories.
Millbury was originally the Second or North Parish of Sutton. Because traveling from one part of Sutton to the other for town meetings was time-consuming, the inhabitants of the Northern Parish petitioned the Massachusetts General Court to split the town of Sutton into two separate towns. The North Parish became the town of Millbury on June 11, 1813 by way of an act of incorporation.
Millbury's industrial history begins in the early 18th century, not long after the area's settlement. In 1735, John Singletary began operating a mill on Singletary Brook, a stream flowing out of Singletary Lake. Around 1753, John Singletary built the S & D Spinning mill, which is still in operation, making it one of the oldest continuously operating mills in the United States. The mill is featured on the Town Seal. The mill also makes the inside of the Rawlings baseballs for the major league.
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, after learning the trade of firearms production from their father, Asa Waters II and his brother Elijah purchased land along the Blackstone River and built mills producing goods such as guns, scythes and sawmill saws. In 1808, Asa and Elijah erected an armory which was successful until forced to close suddenly in 1841. It reopened at the start of the Civil War in 1861, doing work for the U.S. government. With the wealth Asa Waters II received from his factories, he began construction, in 1826, of a Federal-style mansion, near the town center on Elm Street. Designed by Boston architect Asher Benjamin, it was completed in 1832. It took two years to collect materials for construction of the house, including marble from Italy and bricks from Baltimore. Known as the Asa Waters Mansion, it is an icon of the town.
President William Howard Taft spent many summer vacations in Millbury as a young boy, attending the public schools for a season. When he grew older, he visited his grandparents most summers. He visited his aunt, Delia C. Torrey, during his presidency for the occasion of Millbury's 100th birthday. The Torrey House, where President Taft stayed during his visit, is commonly called the Taft House today.
In the early 1970s, Millbury experienced a number of large fires. The town hall burned down, followed by the Union School. Local realtor Manual Gonzalez-Rios donated profits from his towing company to assist in rebuilding the town hall. A propane plant near Route 146 exploded spectacularly, with tanks blown 100 feet or more into the air, making nationwide news. Millbury celebrated its Bicentennial in 2013 with many town events. A proposal for a casino was made in 2013, but company pulled out when it became clear that a large majority of the towns people were against the idea.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 16.3 square miles (42 km2), of which 15.7 square miles (41 km2) is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), or 3.20%, is water. The town is drained by the Blackstone River.
As of the census of 2000, there were 12,784 people, 4,927 households, and 3,443 families residing in the town. The population density was 812.5 inhabitants per square mile (313.7/km2). There were 5,109 housing units at an average density of 324.7 per square mile (125.4/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 97.19% White, 0.53% African American, 0.15% Native American, 1.02% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.23% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.02% of the population.
There were 4,927 households out of which 30.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.7% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.1% were non-families. 24.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the town, the population was spread out with 23.1% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 31.2% from 25 to 44, 23.4% from 45 to 64, and 16.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 93.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.4 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $51,415, and the median income for a family was $62,564. Males had a median income of $41,912 versus $28,973 for females. The per capita income for the town was $23,531. About 4.1% of families and 6.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.2% of those under age 18 and 8.4% of those age 65 or over.
|County-level state agency heads|
|Clerk of Courts:||Dennis P. McManus (D)|
|District Attorney:||Joe Early Jr. (D)|
|Register of Deeds:||Katie Toomey (D)|
|Register of Probate:||Stephanie Fattman (R)|
|County Sheriff:||Lew Evangelidis (R)|
|State Representative(s):||Paul K. Frost (R)|
|State Senator(s):||Michael O. Moore (D)|
|Governor's Councilor(s):||Jen Caissie (R)|
|U.S. Representative(s):||James P. McGovern (D-2nd District),|
|U.S. Senators:||Elizabeth Warren (D), Ed Markey (D)|
Public schools in Millbury fall under the jurisdiction of Millbury Public Schools school district. Approximately 2,000 students are educated in three schools: Elmwood Street School, a 625 student primary school for grades Preschool – 3; Raymond E. Shaw Elementary School, a 423 student intermediate school for grades 4–6; and Millbury Memorial Junior/Senior High School, a 936 student secondary school for grades 7–12.
Media related to Millbury, Massachusetts at Wikimedia Commons
Abby Kelley Foster (January 15, 1811 – January 14, 1887) was an American abolitionist and radical social reformer active from the 1830s to 1870s. She became a fundraiser, lecturer and committee organizer for the influential American Anti-Slavery Society, where she worked closely with William Lloyd Garrison and other radicals. She married fellow abolitionist and lecturer Stephen Symonds Foster, and they both worked for equal rights for women and for slaves/ African Americans.Her former home of Liberty Farm in Worcester, Massachusetts has been designated a National Historic Landmark.Albert L. Nash
Albert L. "Al" Nash (May 13, 1921 – February 4, 2015) was an American politician and businessman.
Born in Millbury, Massachusetts, Nash went to Millbury High School and then served in the United States Army Air Forces during World War II and was a tail gunner. Nash owned a dry cleaning business in Worcester, Massachusetts. He served as the water commissioner and on the board of selectman. Nash served in the Massachusetts House of Representatives and was a Democrat. Nash died in Leicester, Massachusetts.Amos Singletary
Amos Singletary (September 1721 – October 30, 1806) was an American gristmill operator and justice of the peace from Sutton, Massachusetts, who served in both houses of the Massachusetts General Court (state legislature). An Anti-Federalist, he voted against the U.S. Constitution as a delegate to the Massachusetts Ratifying Convention. He was angered by perceived Federalist arrogance surrounding the adoption of the Constitution and thought that it provided too much power to the national government. He supported the American Revolution and wanted to limit wealthy Bostonians' sway over state politics.Asa Waters
Asa Waters II (November 2, 1769 in Sutton – December 24, 1841 in Millbury) was an American gunsmith and industrialist.He learned gunsmithing from his father.
He earned a patent for turning a gun barrel in a latheIn 1808, with his brother Elijah, he founded an armory, which contracted with the government.
In 1825 he founded Millbury Bank. In 1823, he was elected to the Massachusetts House of Representatives. Asa Waters served as Vice President of the Worcester County Horticultural Society from 1843 to 1844He married Susan Holman Waters, on May 19, 1802; they had eight children:
Susan Holman (Waters) Torrey born 1803, died Feb. 3, 1866, married Samuel Davenport Torrey (1789 - 1877), They had 5 children including Louisa Maria (Torrey) Taft (1827 - 1907) mother of President William Howard Taft,;
Asa Holman Waters, born Feb. 8, 1808,died Jan. 17, 1887, married Mary Elizabeth (Hovey) Waters (1829 - 1892), maternal grandfather of Gilbert Hovey Grosvenor, editor of National Geographic Magazine, This Asa H. Waters wrote: Biographical Sketch of Thomas Blanchard and his inventions, Printed by L.P. Goddard in 1878 in Worcester, Mass.;
Harriet Newell (Waters) Dutton born Aug. 18, 1814 died Jul. 3, 1864, m Samuel William Southmayd Dutton (1814 - 1866),;mma
Adelia Augusta (Waters) Tarbox born Jan. 18, 1820 died Oct. 7, 1883 married Increase Niles Tarbox (1815 - 1888), 2 children;
Caroline S. (Waters) Forbush born Jan. 17, 1826 died Aug. 7, 1886 married Jonathan Forbush (1802 - 1882), 2 children.He built the Asa Waters Mansion from 1824 to 1829.Asa Waters Mansion
The Asa Waters Mansion is an historic mansion at 123 Elm Street in Millbury, Massachusetts. Recently restored, it is now available for weddings and private functions. Designed by architect Asher Benjamin for Asa Waters and Susan Holman Waters, the mansion was built between 1826–32, It is a three-story wood frame house, with a hip roof ringed by a low balustrade. Its front facade is distinguished by colonnade of fluted two-story pillars with composite capitals, with pilasters at the building corners. The Millbury Historical Society is headquartered there.The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.Asher Benjamin
Asher Benjamin (June 15, 1773 – July 26, 1845) was an American architect and author whose work transitioned between Federal architecture and the later Greek Revival architecture. His seven handbooks on design deeply influenced the look of cities and towns throughout New England until the Civil War. Builders also copied his plans in the Midwest and in the South.First Presbyterian Society Meeting House
The First Presbyterian Society Meeting House (now the Millbury Federated Church) is an historic meeting house at 20 Main Street in Millbury, Massachusetts. The 1.5 story Greek Revival church was designed by Elias Carter and built in 1828 for a Presbyterian congregation that had been established the previous year. The main facade has a full-height portico with four columns supporting a triangular pediment. It is three bays wide, with long narrow round-arch windows in the side bays, and the main entrance in the center, topped by a half-round fanlight. The interior has retained much of its original woodwork, despite renovations in 1862 in which the main hall was reoriented from west to east.The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.George A. Sheridan
George Augustus Sheridan (February 22, 1840 – October 7, 1896) was an American politician, most notably serving in the House of Representatives from Louisiana for one term (the 43d Congress, 1873–1875)George E. White
George Elon White (March 7, 1848 – May 17, 1935) was a U.S. Representative from Illinois.
Born in Millbury, Massachusetts, White attended the public schools. During the Civil War he enlisted as a private in the Fifty-seventh Regiment, Massachusetts Veteran Volunteers. After the end of the war, White entered a commercial college in Worcester, Massachusetts. He moved to Chicago, Illinois, in 1867, where he engaged in the lumber business and also became interested in banking. He also served as member of the board of aldermen of Chicago, and served as member of the State Senate from 1878 to 1886.
White was elected as a Republican to the Fifty-fourth and Fifty-fifth Congresses (March 4, 1895 – March 3, 1899). He was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1898 to the Fifty-sixth Congress. He then resumed his former business pursuits in Chicago, Illinois, and served as president of the White Lumber Co. White died in Chicago, Illinois, on May 17, 1935; he was interred in the mausoleum in Rosehill Cemetery.Howie Winter
Howard Thomas Winter (born March 17, 1929) is an American mobster boss. He was the second boss of the Winter Hill Gang.Michael O. Moore
Michael O. Moore is an American politician from Millbury, Massachusetts who serves as the Massachusetts State Senator for the Second Worcester District. The District comprises the Senator's hometown of Millbury, as well as seven other communities including parts of the City of Worcester. He is member of the Democratic Party who has served in the Massachusetts Legislature since 2009.Millbury High School
Millbury Memorial Junior/Senior High School is a school in Millbury, Massachusetts that serves 936 students in grades 7 through 12. It was founded in 1851 and was originally located in a building on Millbury's Elm Street, which now houses the Mary Elizabeth McGrath Educational Center, operated by You Inc. It later moved to its current location at 12 Martin Street. It housed grades 9 to 12, and later grades 7 and 8 as well. In 2001, Millbury High was renovated and expanded (along with Elmwood Street School). During that time, grade 7 was moved to Raymond E. Shaw Elementary School, while grades 8 through 12 remained at the high school. After the renovation was finished, grades 7 and 8 were given their own wing of the school, separate from grades 9 through 12. As of 2019, the principal of the high school is Sean Gilrein, the vice principal of the high school is Chris Lowe. The position of vice principal of the junior high school is currently Anne Thompson.
Along with core subjects, Millbury High offers band, chorus, gym, music, and art. Their sports teams are the Woolies, and their school colors are maroon, white, and gold.Nick Fatool
Nick Fatool (January 2, 1915 – September 26, 2000) was an American jazz drummer.The Shoppes at Blackstone Valley
The Shoppes at Blackstone Valley is an open-air shopping mall in Millbury, Massachusetts on Route 146, 1-mile (1.6 km) south of exit 10A of the Massachusetts Turnpike. The Worcester Regional Transit Authority offers express service between the Worcester City Hall and the Shoppes on Bus Route #20.The mall features Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, Cinema de Lux, Dick's Sporting Goods, DSW, Kohl's, Marshalls/HomeGoods, Nordstrom Rack, and Target as anchors.United States Post Office–Millbury Main
The US Post Office-Millbury Main is an historic building on 119 Elm Street in Millbury, Massachusetts. The single story brick building was built in 1941, and has styling with Art Deco features. It has a cupola with diamond-glass windows and a copper roof; the diamond window pattern also appears in the windows that flank and top the building's entrance. The interior retains much of its original woodwork and styling, and includes a mural painted by Joe Lasker depicting a battle between Native Americans and English colonists.The post office was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.Warren G. Harris
Warren G. Harris was an American politician and business executive who served as a member of the Massachusetts Governor's Council from 1947 to 1949.Waters House
Waters House may refer to:
Waters Farm, Sutton, Massachusetts, listed on the NRHP in Massachusetts
Waters House (Fordyce, Arkansas), listed on the NRHP in Arkansas
Waters House (Sevierville, Tennessee), listed on the NRHP in Tennessee
Asa Waters Mansion, Millbury, Massachusetts, listed on the NRHP in Massachusetts
Charles Clary Waters House, Little Rock, Arkansas, listed on the NRHP in ArkansasWilton S. Farnsworth
Wilton Simpson "Bill" Farnsworth (June 7, 1885 – July 10, 1945) was an American sports writer, editor, and boxing promoter. He worked for William Randolph Hearst's newspapers from 1904 to 1937. He was the sports editor of Hearst's New York Evening Journal (evening) or New York American (morning) from 1914 to 1937. He also worked for shorter stints on Hearst's Boston American (1904-1907) and Atlanta Georgian (1912-1914). From 1937 to 1944, he was a boxing promoter in partnership with Mike Jacobs.Worcester Flood Diversion Channel
The Worcester Flood Diversion Channel is a flood control channel located in Auburn and Millbury, Massachusetts. It was built by the United States Army Corps of Engineers because of the Flood Control Act of 1944. Its aim was to protect the city of Worcester, Massachusetts from future floods, as previous flooding had caused much damage to the city. It consists of a series of dams, reservoirs, and channels. During the winter, part of the channel becomes the Auburn Ice Channel, which has become a local destination for ice climbing.
Places adjacent to Millbury, Massachusetts
|* = population estimate. |
Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data.
Municipalities and communities of Worcester County, Massachusetts, United States
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|