Miletopolis (Ancient Greek: Μιλητόπολις) or Miletoupolis (Μιλητούπολις) was a town in the north of ancient Mysia, at the confluence of the rivers Macestus and Rhyndacus, and on the west of the lake which derives its name from the town. It was a Milesian colony. Strabo mentions that a part of the inhabitants of the town were transferred to Gargara at some indeterminant time.
Ambrose James Moriarty (9 August 1870 – 3 June 1949) was an English prelate of the Roman Catholic Church. He served as the Bishop of Shrewsbury from 1934 to 1949. Samuel Webster Allen, his predecessor as fourth bishop, was his uncle.Born at 38 Mottram Street, Stockport, Cheshire on 9 August 1870, and educated at Cotton College, Oscott, and the English College, Rome. He was ordained to the priesthood on 10 March 1894 and same year came to Shrewsbury to assist his uncle, then a canon at the cathedral there, serving as curate until 1897. He subsequently served the cathedral as priest-in-charge from 1897 to 1932, also as Canon Theologian from 1910, Vicar General from 1925 and Provost to the cathedral chapter from 1927.In Shrewsbury public life he was a member of the Shrewsbury Schools Board from 1898, and later Vice-Chairman of the Shrewsbury Education Committee which superseded the board in 1902. He was until his death member of the Shrewsbury Free Library Committee and the council of the Shropshire Archaeological Society.He was appointed Coadjutor Bishop of Shrewsbury and Titular Bishop of Miletopolis on 18 December 1931. His consecration to the Episcopate took place on 28 January 1932, the principal consecrator was Thomas Leighton Williams, Archbishop of Birmingham, and the principal co-consecrators were John Patrick Barrett, Bishop of Plymouth and Hugh Singleton, Bishop of Shrewsbury. Moriaty succeeded as the Bishop of Shrewsbury on 17 December 1934. He was made assistant to the Pontifical Throne in 1944, the year of his golden jubilee in priesthood, when he was presented with a cheque for £3,450 from the clergy and laity of his diocese, which he donated for the funding of training priests from the diocese at the English College.He died in office at his official residence, The Council House in Shrewsbury on 3 June 1949, aged 78, and was buried in the grave of his uncle in Shrewsbury General Cemetery in Longden Road following a pontifical Requiem Mass at Shrewsbury Cathedral.Ariassus
Ariassus or Ariassos (Ancient Greek: Άριασσός) was a town in Pisidia, Asia Minor built on a steep hillside about 50 kilometres inland from Attaleia (modern Antalya).Caloe
Caloe was a town in the Roman province of Asia. It is mentioned as Kaloe or Keloue in 3rd-century inscriptions, as Kalose in Hierocles's Synecdemos (660), and as Kalloe, Kaloe, and Kolone in Parthey's Notitiæ episcopatuum, in which it figures from the 6th to the 12fth or 13th century.Cestrus
Cestrus was a city in the Roman province of Isauria, in Asia Minor. Its placing within Isauria is given by Hierocles, Georgius Cyprius, and Parthey's (Notitiae episcopatuum). While recognizing what the ancient sources said, Lequien supposed that the town, whose site has not been identified, took its name from the River Cestros and was thus in Pamphylia. Following Lequien's hypothesis, the 19th-century annual publication Gerarchia cattolica identified the town with "Ak-Sou", which Sophrone Pétridès called an odd mistake, since this is the name of the River Cestros, not of a city.Cotenna
Cotenna was a city in the Roman province of Pamphylia I in Asia Minor. It corresponds to modern Gödene, near Konya, Turkey.Cyaneae
Cyaneae (Ancient Greek: Κυανέαι; also spelt Kyaneai or Cyanae) was a town of ancient Lycia, or perhaps three towns known collectively by the name, on what is now the southern coast of Turkey. William Martin Leake says that its remains were discovered west of Andriaca. The place, which is at the head of Port Tristomo, was determined by an inscription. Leake observes that in some copies of Pliny it is written Cyane; in Hierocles and the Notitiae Episcopatuum it is Cyaneae. To Spratt and Forbes, Cyaneae appeared to be a city ranking in importance with Phellus and Candyba, but in a better state of preservation. No longer a residential bishopric, Cyanae is today listed by the Catholic Church as a titular see.Cyzicus
Cyzicus (; Ancient Greek: Κύζικος Kyzikos; Ottoman Turkish: آیدینجق, Aydıncıḳ) was an ancient town of Mysia in Anatolia in the current Balıkesir Province of Turkey. It was located on the shoreward side of the present Kapıdağ Peninsula (the classical Arctonnesus), a tombolo which is said to have originally been an island in the Sea of Marmara only to be connected to the mainland in historic times either by artificial means or an earthquake.
The site of Cyzicus, located on the Erdek and Bandırma roads, is protected by Turkey's Ministry of Culture.Docimium
Docimium, Docimia or Docimeium (Greek: Δοκίμια and Δοκίμειον) was an ancient city of Phrygia, Asia Minor where there were famous marble quarries.Drizipara
Drizipara (or Druzipara, Drousipara. Drusipara) now Karıştıran (Büyükkarıştıran) in Lüleburgaz district was a city and a residential episcopal see in the Roman province of Europa in the civil diocese of Thrace. It is now a titular see of the Catholic Church.Hadrianotherae
Hadrianotherae or Hadrianutherae or Hadrianoutherai (Ancient Greek: Ἁδριάνου θήραι) was a town of ancient Mysia, on the road from Ergasteria to Miletopolis. It was built by the emperor Hadrian to commemorate a successful hunt which he had had in the neighbourhood. Coins from this town issued during the reign of Hadrian onwards are preserved. It seems to have been a place of some note; for it was the see of a bishop, and on its coins a senate is mentioned. No longer a residential see, it remains a titular see of the Roman Catholic Church.Its site is located near Balıkesir in Asiatic Turkey.Hisarlik
Hisarlik (Turkish: Hisarlık, "Place of Fortresses"), often spelled Hissarlik, is the modern name for an ancient city in modern day located in what is now Turkey (historically Anatolia) near to the modern city of Çanakkale. The unoccupied archaeological site lies approximately 6.5 km from the Aegean Sea and about the same distance from the Dardanelles. The archaeological site of Hisarlik is known in archaeological circles as a tell. A tell is an artificial hill, built up over centuries and millennia of occupation from its original site on a bedrock knob.
It is believed by many scholars to be the site of ancient Troy, also known as Ilion.Karacabey
Karacabey is a town and district of Bursa Province in the Marmara Region of Turkey. It is located just west of the Simav River near its confluence with the Adirnaz River. District of Karacabey borders districts of Mudanya and Nilüfer from east, ones of Mustafakemalpaşa and Susurluk from south, one of Manyas from southwest and Bandırma from west. It is sited on the ancient town of Miletopolis.
Karacabey is an industrial area as well as an agricultural one. It is known as the plantation area of a special variety of onions. There are many famous food factories around Karacabey such as Nestle and many varieties of vegetables and fruits are planted in Karacabey. There is a nearby lake called Uluabat. The Marmara Sea is 32 km to the north.
The town is named for a Turkish soldier during the Ottoman era named Karaca Bey. The former name of the town was Mihalich (Turkish: Mihaliç), after which a cheese was named, while its ancient name was Miletopolis (Greek: Μιλητόπολις). Miletopolis was apparently the chief settlement of a group of people called the Milatæ, whose name was hellenized to suggest a Milesian colony. Its people colonized Gargara.Miletopolis was a suffragan of Cyzicus until the 12th or 13th century. Around the end of the twelfth century, it was united with Lopadium as an archbishopric. There are two historical mosques in Karacabey, one being from the 14th century.Louis-Joseph d'Herbomez
Louis-Joseph d'Herbomez (January 17, 1822 – June 3, 1890) was a Canadian Roman Catholic priest, Vicar Apostolic of British Columbia, and Titular Bishop of Miletopolis from 1863 to 1890.Lyrbe
Lyrbe (spelled Lyrba in the 1910 Catholic Encyclopedia; Ancient Greek: Λύρβη) was a city and episcopal see in the Roman province of Pamphylia Prima and is now a titular see.Macestus Bridge
The Macestus Bridge or Bridge of Sultançayır was a Roman segmental arched bridge across the Macestus River (Turkish: Simav or Susurluk Çayı) at Balıkesir, in the northwestern part of modern-day Turkey. Its flattened arches, slender piers and the hollow chamber system documented the progress made in late antique bridge building. A first cursory investigation of the 234 m long structure was conducted in the early 20th century, but since then its existence has been largely neglected by scholars. Current photos from 2009 show that the bridge has collapsed in the meantime.Miletouteichos
Miletouteichos (Ancient Greek: Μιλητουτεῖχος) was a Greek town located near the coast of the Propontis in ancient Mysia. It is mentioned in the Hellenica Oxyrhynchia: in the year 395 BCE, the troops of Agesilaus II, king of Sparta, departing from Cius, attacked Miletouteichos, but they could not take it and they retired, marching next by the Rhyndacus river to Dascylium.Scholars have debated the name. The toponym also appears in an inscription where a theorodokos is mentioned in Miletouteichos around 330 BCE. It may be that the place-name appears in an Athenian decree of the year 410/09 BCE. Some scholars have identified Miletouteichos with Miletopolis, but others contend that they are two different cities. Another possibility that has been suggested is to identify it with the city of Apollonia ad Rhyndacum. It has been suggested as possible site of Miletouteichos is northwest of Lake Apolloniatis, in the current Uluabat, Asiatic Turkey.Stratonicea (Lydia)
Stratonicea – (Greek: Στρατoνικεια, or Στρατονίκεια) also transliterated as Stratoniceia and Stratonikeia, earlier Indi, and later for a time Hadrianapolis – was an ancient city in the valley of the Caicus river, between Germe and Acrasus, in Lydia, Anatolia; its site is currently near the village of Siledik, in the district of Kırkağaç, Manisa Province, in the Aegean Region of Turkey.Tyana
Tyana (Ancient Greek: Τύανα; Hittite Tuwanuwa) was an ancient city in the Anatolian region of Cappadocia, in modern Kemerhisar, Niğde Province, Central Anatolia, Turkey. It was the capital of a Luwian-speaking Neo-Hittite kingdom in the 1st millennium BC.Üçayaklı ruins
The Üçayaklı ruins are in Mersin Province, Turkey.