Middlesbrough Council, formerly known as Middlesbrough Borough Council is the local council of Middlesbrough. It is a unitary authority and borough council in the Tees Valley sub-region of the North East of England. It is based on the town of Middlesbrough, which is often considered to spread outside the borough boundaries into neighbouring Redcar and Cleveland with a total built-up population of 174,700; the borough extends southwards to a semi-rural area. Whilst part of North Yorkshire for ceremonial purposes, it is in the region of North East England. It had a resident council population in 2001 of 134,855. A 2006 mid-year estimate suggests the Borough to have a population of 138,400. The borough council unsuccessfully bid to achieve city status in 2012, to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
Chair of the Council
Cllr John Hobson, Independent
since 22 May 2019
since 28 March 2017
|First past the post|
|2 May 2019|
|Town Hall, Middlesbrough|
Middlesbrough Borough Council was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, from part of the former County Borough of Teesside, along with the parish of Nunthorpe from the Stokesley Rural District. It was a district, and the county town of the new county of Cleveland from 1 April 1974, until 1996. As a district, it was one of the four constituent districts of Cleveland: Cleveland being the upper tier in the two-tier system. When Cleveland was abolished under the Banham Review, Middlesbrough became a unitary authority and as such took on the rights and duties of a county, and only ceremonially part of North Yorkshire, but not run by it.
|Labour||Michael John Carr||11,405||32.1%||+20.2%|
|Liberal Democrat||Chris Foote Wood||3,256||9.2%||-14.5%|
|Independent hold||Swing||14.2% to Lab|
Below is the political composition of the council in 2008 and 2011.
The original coat of arms of the Borough was devised in the nineteenth century by William Hylton Dyer Longstaffe, and regranted in 1996 with slight modifications after the dissolution of Cleveland County. The images, from the collection of the Heraldry Society, will be found on Robert Young's Civic Heraldry website.
The 2007 Middlesbrough Borough Council took place on Thursday 3 May 2007 to elect all 48 councillors, across 23 multi-member wards. to Middlesbrough Borough Council. The Labour Party retained a majority on the council.2011 Middlesbrough Borough Council election
The 2011 Middlesbrough Borough Council took place on Thursday 5 May 2011 to elect all 48 councillors, across 23 multi-member wards. to Middlesbrough Borough Council. The Labour Party retained a majority on the council.2015 Middlesbrough Borough Council election
The 2015 Middlesbrough Borough Council election took place on 7 May 2015 to elect members of Middlesbrough Borough Council in England. It took place on the same day as the election for the Mayor of Middlesbrough, as well as the UK general election, and other local elections across England. Since the 2011 election, there have been boundary reviews, which resulted in two fewer seats on the council, many old wards being discontinued and new wards being formed.Acklam Hall
Acklam Hall is a Restoration mansion in the former village, and now suburb, of Acklam in Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, England. It is a Grade I listed building.It was built by William Hustler between 1680–83. A long-held, albeit unverified family tradition claimed that the Hall was visited by a royal progress by the then-sovereign, King Charles II, in 1684. It continued to house the Hustlers until the conceding of ownership to Middlesbrough Corporation in 1928. After 1935 it was in public ownership and has been used as a grammar school and a comprehensive school, known as Kings Manor School, with the addition of several modern buildings to the grounds. It was then owned by Middlesbrough Council. Middlesbrough College inherited the site and continued to use it as a college building.
Internally the building features a magnificent main staircase with balustrade carved in spirals and helixes. The ceilings in the front part of the house feature many stucco decorations. There is a fine rose window in the roof at the top of the staircase. The front room in the second storey spans the width of the house. It was probably a reception/ballroom originally, and has served various functions in education. It was the Assembly Hall for Acklam Hall Grammar School until the opening of the new hall around 1958. It then became the school's main library. Subsequently the library moved to a new building, later demolished, and the space became the staff common room.
In front of the hall stretches the Avenue of Trees (as it is known locally), with two rows of large oak trees forming a corridor which was likely to have been the route by which visitors originally approached the Hall. These trees stretch from Acklam Road to Hall Drive (immediately in front of the Hall) – a distance of around 0.5 miles.Dave Budd (politician)
Christopher David "Dave" Budd is a British politician. He served as the Mayor of Middlesbrough from 2015 until 2019. When elected, he became the second person to hold the post, having succeeded Ray Mallon.Gunnergate Hall
Gunnergate Hall was a mansion house with grounds in the south of Middlesbrough in North Yorkshire, England.Hemlington
Hemlington is a settlement within the town of Middlesbrough, in the borough of Middlesbrough and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. In 2015, it had a permanent population of 6 557, 4.74% of Middlesbrough's resident population.Linthorpe Cemetery
Linthorpe Cemetery is the oldest working cemetery in Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, England. The earliest burials in the main cemetery date back to 1869. This 52-acre (21 ha) site is the largest area of woodland in central Middlesbrough.
The cemetery contains war graves of 217 Commonwealth service personnel, nearly 160 from the First World War and nearly 60 from the Second World War.Declared a Local Nature Reserve in 2003, it provides a semi-natural habitat that supports a range of wildlife, particularly birds, including tawny owl, great spotted woodpecker and treecreeper.
The cemetery encompasses a Quaker burial ground, situated just off Ayresome Green Lane, in which the burials date back to 1668.
From 2005 to 2007 the cemetery underwent a £1.7 million restoration programme, funded by Middlesbrough Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund, which included; restoring the Mortuary Chapel for use by the Friends of Linthorpe Cemetery as an exhibition space, converting of the Hebrew Prayer House into an educational and community space, improving the path network and cemetery boundaries, tree and hedgerow planting, and cast iron benches specially designed by local children depicting the theme of 'Flora and Fauna of Linthorpe Cemetery'.Mayor of Middlesbrough
The Mayor of Middlesbrough is the executive mayor of the borough of Middlesbrough in North Yorkshire, England. The incumbent since 2019 is Andy Preston.Middlesbrough
Middlesbrough ( (listen) MID-əlz-brə) is a large post-industrial town on the south bank of the River Tees in the county of North Yorkshire, England, founded in 1830. The local council, a unitary authority, is Middlesbrough Borough Council. The 2011 Census recorded the borough's total resident population as 138,400 and the wider urban settlement with a population of 174,700. Middlesbrough is part of the larger built-up area of Teesside which had an overall population of 376,333 at the 2011 Census.Middlesbrough became a county borough within the North Riding of Yorkshire in 1889. In 1968, the borough was merged with a number of others to form the County Borough of Teesside, which was absorbed in 1974 by the county of Cleveland. In 1996, Cleveland was abolished, and Middlesbrough Borough Council became a unitary authority within the county of North Yorkshire. Erimus ("We shall be" in Latin) was chosen as Middlesbrough's motto in 1830. It recalls Fuimus ("We have been") the motto of the Norman/Scottish Bruce family, who were lords of Cleveland in the Middle Ages. The town's coat of arms is an azure lion, from the arms of the Bruce family, a star, from the arms of Captain James Cook, and two ships, representing shipbuilding and maritime trade.Middlesbrough Theatre
Middlesbrough Theatre (formerly the Little Theatre) is a theatre in Middlesbrough, England, which was opened by Sir John Gielgud in 1957 and was one of the first new theatres built in England after the Second World War.Middlesbrough Town Hall
Middlesbrough Town Hall is a Grade II listed building located in Middlesbrough, England. It was built between 1883-1889 to replace the older and much smaller Old Town Hall. The architect was George Gordon Hoskins of Darlington and the project cost £130,000. The official opening took place on 23 January 1889 and was performed by the then Prince and Princess of Wales (later King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra).The building is of sandstone ashlar with slate roofs, built around four sides of a courtyard with the main town hall on the north side. As well as offices and conference rooms, it contains a still intact, fully restored courtroom and a sizeable theatre. The basement crypt also serves as a concert hall. It is built in a revived "French Gothic" style, with courtyard elevations in a "Domestic Revival" style. It was one of the last large Gothic style town halls to be built in England, towards the end of the 19th century. The town hall element has one storey centre with two-storey end pavilions. The building features statuary by W. Margeston of Chelsea. To the east are a complex of modern civic buildings linked by a bridge passage.Netherfields
Netherfields is a housing estate in Ormesby, within the borough of Middlesbrough and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. Located in the TS3 Postcode area, it has three schools: Outwood Academy Ormesby, Priory Woods School and Arts College, and Pennyman Primary Academy. The main road going through the estate is Fulbeck Road.
It is located in the ward of Beckfield which has 2 housing estate in it: Netherfields and Priestfields. To the north is Thorntree, Priestfields and Ormesby Village to the west and Spencerbeck and Overfields to the south. Spencerbeck and Overfields are in the borough of Redcar and Cleveland.Oberhausen
Oberhausen (, German: [ˈoːbɐhaʊzn̩] (listen)) is a city on the river Emscher in the Ruhr Area, Germany, located between Duisburg and Essen (c. 13 km or 8.1 mi). The city hosts the International Short Film Festival Oberhausen and its Gasometer Oberhausen is an anchor point of the European Route of Industrial Heritage.Pallister
Pallister is a housing estate in east Middlesbrough in the borough of Middlesbrough and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. Located within the TS3 postcode area, it is also known as Pallister Park or Pally Park because of the public park located at the estate's northern edge. There are two primary schools on the estate - Pallister Park Primary School, on Gribdale Road and Corpus Christi RC Primary School, on Cargo Fleet Lane. There is a secondary school, Unity City Academy, towards the south of the area. The road that flows through the main area is Homerton Road and Cranmore Road.
The estate, made up of mostly council houses, has developed a reputation over the years for crime and anti-social behaviour, although Middlesbrough Council and Erimus Housing have made it a target to reduce crime rates. The Middlesbrough ward population taken at the 2011 Census was 6,069.Simon Clarke (politician)
Simon Richard Clarke (born 28 September 1984) is a British Conservative Party politician who is the Member of Parliament for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland. He was elected in the 2017 general election held on 8 June.Stewart Park, Middlesbrough
Stewart Park is a 120-acre park in the suburb of Marton, located in the south of Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, England. It is bounded by the A172 (Stokesley Road), the B1380 (Ladgate Lane) and the secluded residential road The Grove.
The park has been awarded a Green Flag Award by the Civic Trust.Tees Transporter Bridge
The Tees Transporter Bridge, often referred to as the Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge, is the furthest downstream bridge across the River Tees, England. It connects Middlesbrough, on the south bank, to Port Clarence, on the north bank. It is a transporter bridge, carrying a travelling 'car', or 'gondola', suspended from the bridge, across the river in 90 seconds. The gondola can carry 200 people, 9 cars, or 6 cars and one minibus. It carries the A178 Middlesbrough to Hartlepool road. Locally, the bridge is often referred to simply as 'the Transporter'.Teesside Archives
Teesside Archives holds the archives for the Teesside area. The archives are held at Exchange House, Exchange Square, Middlesbrough, and run by Middlesbrough Borough Council. It was created in 1974 under Cleveland County and is now funded by Hartlepool Borough Council, Stockton Borough Council, Middlesbrough Council and Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council.
|County council and unitary|