Metropolis (southern Phrygia)
Metropolis ( Ancient Greek: Μητρόπολις) was an ancient town in the southern part of Phrygia, belonging to the conventus of Apamea. That this town is different from the  more northerly town of the name in northern Phrygia, is quite evident, even independently of the fact that Stephanus of Byzantium mentions two towns of the name of Metropolis in Phrygia, and that Hierocles. and the  Notitiae speak of a town of this name in two different provinces of Phrygia. 
Modern scholars locate its site near Tatarlı,
Afyonkarahisar Province, Asian Turkey. 
Plin., , 5.29. Natural History
, p. 673. Synecdemus
Strabo, , XII, viii, 13; XIV, il, 29. Geography
Livy, , 38.15. History of Rome
Lund University. . Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire
Richard Talbert, ed. (2000). . Princeton University Press. p. 62, and directory notes accompanying. Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World
This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Smith, William, ed. (1854–1857). "Metropolis". . London: John Murray. Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography
Coordinates: 38°14′31″N 30°29′41″E / 38.2418471°N 30.4948021°E Languages
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.