He and his brother, Gino Fantuzzi were famous for their affiliation with Maserati, where they got involved in building the Maserati A6 GCS (44 built 1953-5), Maserati 350S and Maserati 200S. Later, Medardo worked for Ferrari (until 1966), known for building the Pininfarina-penned Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa Spyder Fantuzzi (1961); the workshop also did one-off Ferrari 250 GTE and a Ferrari 330. Fantuzzi also built, in the early 1960s, an OSCA Barchetta 1500cc 372FS for one of their mechanics.
Medardo's Carrozzeria Fantuzzi designed the bodywork for the one-off Ferrari that Terence Stamp drove in Federico Fellini's "Spirits of the Dead" motion picture.
The De Tomaso Sport 5000 (also known as the Ghia DeTomaso, the De Tomaso 70P or the De Tomaso P70) was a short-lived sports racing car built by De Tomaso in 1965. Fitted with a 289 cu in (4,736 cc) Ford V8 engine, the Sport 5000 was initially designed to be used as a Grand Tourer; however, only one car was ever built of the planned 50, meaning that it competed solely as a sports prototype in just one race, the 1966 Mugello Grand Prix.Fantuzzi
Fantuzzi may refer to:
Medardo Fantuzzi (1906–1986), Italian automotive engineer
Antonio Fantuzzi (1510–1550), Italian painterFerrari 330 TRI/LM
The Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Spyder (chassis number 0808) is a unique racing sports car purpose-built in 1962 by Ferrari to achieve victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. It was the last Ferrari racing sports car with a front-mounted engine and the last of a series of Ferrari race cars known as the Testa Rossas. The "I" in its designation indicates that the car has an independent rear suspension (indipendente in Italian).
Beginning in 1960 as a 250 TRI/60 Fantuzzi Spyder (chassis 0780TR), the car was badly damaged in a crash during a practice session for the 1960 Targa Florio road race (its debut). It was rebuilt, failing to finish at the 1960 24 Hours of Le Mans then finishing second at the 1961 12 Hours of Sebring, before being damaged again in its second Targa Florio outing. After finishing second at the 1961 Nürburgring 1000km and 1961 24 Hours of Le Mans, it won at the 1961 Pescara 4 Hours.
Following Pescara, regulatory changes allowed Ferrari to rebuild 0780TR into its final form as the 330 TRI/LM (chassis 0808), with a larger 4.0 liter V12 engine and a new body. The 330 TRI/LM won the 1962 24 Hours of Le Mans, the last front-engine car to win the race. It was then sold to Luigi Chinetti's NART, competing in North America with some success before returning to the 1963 24 Hours of Le Mans. The car was running in third place into the night against newer, factory-mid-engine Ferrari prototypes when it crashed and dropped out of the race.
The 330 TRI/LM's racing career ended after the 1963 24 Hours of Le Mans and it was subsequently repaired and rebuilt as a road car. Since then, it has been owned by several different collectors and restored back to 1962 specification. The car most recently sold to Gregorio Pérez Companc, who paid €7,000,000 in 2007.Maserati 150S
Maserati 150S were twenty-seven racing cars made by Maserati of Italy alongside the Maserati 200S, to take over for the aging Maserati A6 GCS racing variants.
The project Tipo 53, was initiated by Vittorio Bellentani (1953), and utilized the 4CF2 1484.1 cc engine (140 bhp @ 7500 rpm), initially tested in a boat of Liborio Guidotti (1954).
Maserati unveiled the 150S at the April 1950 Turin Motor Show.The first series had a Maserati 300S-inspired body developed by Celestino Fiandri and saw Jean Behra winning the halfsized 1000km Nürburgring (1955). A less rounded design by Medardo Fantuzzi followed (1956).
Most cars were sold to customers.
The 150 GT (1957) was one spider bodied by Medardo Fantuzzi, built on a Maserati 200S chassis.Maserati 200S
Maserati 200S were twenty-eight racing cars made by Maserati of Italy, to take over for the aging Maserati A6 GCS racing variants.
The Tipo 52 development started in 1952, led by Giulio Alfieri. The car had a 1994.3 cc inline-four cylinder light-alloy engine, dual OHV per cylinder and DOHC camshafts, double Weber 50DCO3 (first few cars only) or 45DCO3 carburetors. It output 190 PS (140 kW; 187 hp) at 7500 rpm. Many chassis components were identical to the Maserati 150S, except the rigid rear axle inherited from the Maserati A6.
Maserati made the first three chassis internally, but outsourced a tubular chassis to Gilco.
The first five aluminum bodies were, as for the Maserati 150S, by Celestino Fiandri, and the 23 final by Medardo Fantuzzi.
No wins were seen in its first year of 1955, first by Franco Bordoni at the 1955 San Marino Grand Prix, followed by Giovanni Bracco and Bordoni at the 1955 Targa Florio.
Driver Benoît Nicolas Musy died in a 200S at 'Autodrome de Montlhéry, France (1956).
In 1957 the name was changed to Maserati 200SI, Sport Internazionale, to signify its conformance to international sports car racing rules. In 1958 the engine was made bigger (2.5 litres) and the car was named as 250S.
The car scored a resounding victory with Stirling Moss at the wheel during the 1956 Trofeo Supercortemaggiore. He beat four Ferrari 500TRs and described the car as “very quick on twisty circuits” and “handled really nicely”.Maserati 300S
The Maserati 300S was a racing car produced by Maserati of Italy between 1955 and 1958, which competed in the FIA's World Sportscar Championship. Twenty-six examples were produced.Maserati 350S
Maserati 350S were three racing cars made by Maserati of Italy, built by Giulio Alfieri, with aluminum body design by Medardo Fantuzzi, both Maserati engineers.
The first chassis #3501 was developed in 1955, using the chassis of a Maserati 300S, and the 3.5-litre straight-six engine under development for the future Maserati 3500 GT (see this for engine details). It was crashed by Stirling Moss in the Mille Miglia of 1956, then scrapped.
Chassis #3502 (second) was rather similar to the first, and was bought by Luigi Piotti. Engine output was 325 bhp (242 kW) at 6200 rpm.
It was bought by Tony Parravano in 1957, and sold to Connecticut in 1974, where it still resides (2004).
Chassis #3503 (third) came early in 1957. It first used the straight-six, but was converted to a 3.5-litre V12 engine (335 bhp (250 kW) at 9000 rpm). It also had a five-speed gearbox developed for the Maserati 250F. It was later entered by Luigi Piotti and Roberto Bonomi in the Buenos Aires 1000 km (1957). The car resides in Belgium (2005), although a second of same chassis #3503 is said to have existed.Maserati 450S
The Maserati 450S (built 1956–8) is a racing car made by Maserati of Italy, and used in FIA's endurance World Sportscar Championship racing. A total of nine were made.
Their design started in 1954 (thus the internal designation «Tipo 54») led by Vittorio Bellentani and Guido Taddeucci. Their intent was to use larger engines than those then used by Maserati.
One was the 3.5-litre to be used in Maserati 350S, the other to be used in the 450S, had a 4.478-litre short-stroke V8 engine with four Weber carburetor 45 IDM (400 bhp (300 kW) at 7200). The tubular chassis and body was designed by Valerio Colotti, and inherited much from the Maserati 300S, using De Dion (mechanical) and 5-speed ZF gearbox, and a suspension with double wishbones and coil springs.
The 450S was raced in the 1957 World Sports Car Championship where its principal rivals were Ferrari with its Ferrari 290 MM, 315 S and 335 S models, the Jaguar D-Type and the Aston Martin DBR1.
Chassis #4501 had a 4.2-litre V8, based on the prototype raced at 1956 Mille Miglia and 1956 Swedish Grand Prix. A clutch failure after a very promising start in the Buenos Aires 1000 km by Stirling Moss and Juan Manuel Fangio prevented the car from commencing the season with a win. The car was redesigned as a coupé drawn by Frank Costin of England, constructed by Zagato, and raced once again by Moss at Le Mans where it failed to finish. Later, the car was restored by Medardo Fantuzzi of Maserati (new chassis #4512); and subsequently received another restoration by Faralli & Mazzanti.
Chassis #4503, driven by Fangio and Jean Behra, won the 12 Hours of Sebring. It was then crashed by Behra during practice for the Mille Miglia and didn't start the race. Repaired, it was again crashed by Behra at the Le Mans 24 Hours before it won again in the hands of Behra and Moss in the Swedish Sports Car Grand Prix. In the final race of the 1957 season the Venezuelan Sports Car Grand Prix it was destroyed before being later rebuilt.
Chassis #4505 driven by Moss and Denis Jenkinson raced in the Mille Miglia until the brake pedal fell off. At the Nürburgring 1000km it was driven by Moss and Fangio and recorded another DNF when the wheel dropped off. The car was later sold to Temple Buell, who drilled it to 5.7-litres, and later to Jim Hall.
Chassis #4507 was driven by Moss and Harry Schell at the Venezuelan Sports Car Grand Prix where it was destroyed in a fiery crash that also involved chassis #4503.
Maserati finished the season as runners up to Ferrari in the World Sports Car Championship, its two victories at Sebring and Kristianstad, together with a second place at Buenos Aires and fourth in the Mille Miglia by its sister 300S giving Maserati 25 points. Unfortunately for Maserati this was five behind Ferrari's winning total of 30 points gained from victories at Buenos Aires, the Mille Miglia and Venezuela together with second at the Nürburgring and Sweden.
Other cars were sold: Chassis #4502 to Tony Parravano, #4505 to Jim Kimberley and #4506 to John Edgar. Chassis #4509 and #4510 was sold to the US, some having engine expansions to 5.7-and 6.6-litres and used in SCCA races by Carroll Shelby, Jim Hall, Masten Gregory, Walt Cline and Ebb Rose. Chassis #4512 was originally the #4501 (see above).
Between 1956 and 1962, the 450S had 119 appearances, 31 of these being victories.Maserati A6
Maserati A6 were a series of grand tourers, racing sports cars and single seaters made by Maserati of Italy between 1947 and 1956. They were named for Alfieri Maserati (one of the Maserati brothers, founders of Maserati) and for their straight-six engine.The 1.5-litre straight-six was named A6 TR (Testa Riportata for its detachable cylinder head), and was based on the pre-war Maserati 6CM; 65 bhp (48 kW). It first appeared in the A6 Sport or Tipo 6CS/46, a barchetta prototype, developed by Ernesto Maserati and Alberto Massimino. This became the A6 1500 Pinin Farina-designed two-door berlinetta, first shown at the 1947 Salon International de l'Auto in Geneva (59 made) and the spider shown at the 1948 Salone dell'automobile di Torino (2 made).
A 2-litre straight-six (120 bhp) was used in the A6 GCS two-seater, «G» denoting Ghisa, cast iron block, and «CS» denoting Corsa & Sports. Also called monofaro, the 580 kg single-seater and cycle-winged racing version first appeared at Modena 1947 by Luigi Villoresi and Alberto Ascari, and won the 1948 Italian Championship by Giovanni Bracco. Fifteen cars were made 1947-1953, of these being two-seaters (630 kg).
The A6G were a series of two-door coupe and spyders by Zagato, Pinin Farina, Pietro Frua, Ghia, Bertone, Carrozzeria Allemano and Vignale. These had alloy engine blocks.Maserati A6GCM
The Maserati A6GCM is a single seater racing car from the Italian manufacturer Maserati. Developed for Formula Two, 12 cars were built between 1951 and 1953.Maserati Tipo 26
The Maserati Tipo 26 was a model of Grand Prix racing car and was the first car built by Italian manufacturer Maserati, for a total of 11 examples, between 1926 and 1932.The Tipo 26 originated from a Grand Prix car that Alfieri Maserati had designed for Diatto: when the collaboration between Maserati and Diatto ended, Alfieri took his design to the Bologna workshop that he had set up with his brothers in 1914.The design of the Tipo 26 consisted of a steel ladder-type frame supporting a supercharged inline-8 engine with a three-speed manual transmission and an aluminum two-seater bodywork made by Medardo Fantuzzi.The engine featured a crankshaft-driven Roots supercharger, twin gear-driven overhead camshafts and dry sump lubrication; to comply with the 1926 Grand Prix regulations the displacement was fixed to 1.5-litres.At its debut race in the 1926 Targa Florio, the Maserati Tipo 26, with Alfieri Maserati driving and a young Guerino Bertocchi as riding mechanic, finished first in the Grand Prix class and ninth overall.Maserati Tipo 61
The Maserati Tipo 61 (commonly referred to as the Maserati Birdcage) is a sports racing car of the early 1960s. The car was produced between 1959 and 1961 by Maserati for racing in sports car events including the 24 Hours of Le Mans endurance classic. It used an intricate tubular space frame chassis, containing about 200 chro-moly steel tubes welded together, hence the nickname "Birdcage". This method of construction provided a more rigid and, at the same time, lighter chassis than other sports cars of the time.
By recessing the windscreen base into the bodywork, Maserati was able to reduce the effect of new Le Mans rules demanding a tall windscreen.
The Camoradi team became famous racing the Tipo 61s but, despite being very competitive, the Birdcage was somewhat unreliable and occasionally retired from many races due to problems with the drivetrain.A modern car - the Maserati MC12 is available only in white and blue to serve as a tribute to the Tipo 61 and the Camoradi racing team.Medard (name)
Medard is a German male given name, which is a form of the name Medardus, derived from Mahtahard, meaning "brave" or "hardy". The French variant is Medárd and the Italian variant is Medardo. The name may refer to:
Medard Albrand (1898–1981), French politician
Medard Boss (1903–1990), Swiss psychiatrist
Medard des Groseilliers (1618–1696), French explorer
Medardo Fantuzzi (1906–1986), Italian automotive engineer
Medard Gabel (born 1946), American writer
Medardo Martínez (born 1988), Nicaraguan footballer
Medard Mulangala (born 1957), Congo politician
Medardo Rosso (1858–1928), Italian sculptor
Medardo Ángel Silva (1898–1919), Ecuadorian poet
Medard Tytgat (1871–1948), Belgian artist
Medard Welch (1892–1980), American scientist