The McKinley National Memorial in Canton, Ohio, United States, is the final resting place of William McKinley, who served as the 25th President of the United States from 1897 to his assassination in 1901. Canton was a significant place in McKinley's life; he lived there, practiced as an attorney, and conducted his political campaigns from the town.
William McKinley Tomb
The Memorial in March 2005
|Location||7th St., N.W., Canton, Ohio|
|Area||22 acres (8.9 ha)|
|Architect||Harold Van Buren Magonigle|
|NRHP reference #||70000516 |
|Added to NRHP||November 10, 1970|
|Designated NHL||May 15, 1975|
Following the funeral, several of the President's closest advisors, including George B. Cortelyou, William R. Day of Canton and Ohio Senator Mark Hanna, met to discuss the location of a proper memorial to serve as a final resting place for the former president. It was from this meeting that the McKinley National Memorial Association was formed and Theodore Roosevelt chose the first Board of Trustees, with recommendations from the President's widow, Ida Saxton McKinley. The Association chose a site often visited by President McKinley. In fact, McKinley once suggested that a monument be erected on that very site to honor soldiers and sailors from Stark County killed in American wars.
By October 10, 1901, the Association issued a public appeal for $600,000 in contributions for the construction project. Ohio Governor George Nash supported the effort by proclaiming McKinley's birthday in 1902 as a special day of observance by the state's schools. On that day school children contributed to the memorial fund in large numbers by bringing in their pennies. In June 1903 contributions reached $500,000, and the Association invited people to submit design ideas for the proposed memorial. Contributions arrived from foreign nations, notably Great Britain.
Over sixty designs were submitted, and Harold Van Buren Magonigle of New York City was selected as the winner of the competition. Magonigle envisioned a cross-hilted sword with a mausoleum located at the junction of the blade, guard, and hilt. The Long Water (a five-tiered reflecting pool which was 575 feet long) and main steps would form the blade of the sword. This design combined the cross of a martyr with the sword of a President who had acted as commander-in-chief during wartime.
Construction of the memorial began on June 6, 1905, when Mr. Magonigle removed the first shovel of soil from the site. By November 16 the cornerstone was laid in an official ceremony attended by the former First Lady, Ida Saxton McKinley, and other family members. More than 35,000 cubic yards (27,000 m³) of soil were added to create four terraces coinciding in height and pitch with the four runs of steps in the main staircase. The steps are 50 feet (15 m) wide and arranged in four flights of 24. Another 12 steps take visitors into the monument. In total, there are 108 steps from ground level to the top of the monument. The interior walls consist of Tennessee marble.
The 9-1/2 foot tall bronze statue depicting President McKinley delivering his final public address at Buffalo, New York, on September 5, 1901 was created by sculptor Charles Henry Niehaus. It is based on a photograph of the President taken by White House photographer Frances B. Johnston at the Pan-American Exposition the day before his assassination.
The McKinley National Memorial dedication on September 30, 1907 was one of the most memorable events in Canton's history. President Theodore Roosevelt joined other dignitaries to observe a grand parade from the review stand at Public Square in downtown Canton. In the dedication ceremony, Supreme Court Justice William R. Day, President of the McKinley National Memorial Association and a former member of McKinley's cabinet, delivered a narrative of events leading to the dedication. United States Poet Laureate James Whitcomb Riley read a memorial poem he wrote in honor of the fallen president. Finally, President Roosevelt, the principal speaker of the day, addressed the crowd, highlighting McKinley's career. Mayor of Canton at the time, Arthur Richard Turnbull also attended along with Ohio Governor Harris. The coffins of the President and First Lady are entombed above ground in double sarcophagi of elegant green granite.
After the dedication the McKinley National Memorial Association continued to exercise administrative control of the monument, but it eventually became difficult for the Association to maintain the structure and the grounds. On October 20, 1943 the property was transferred to the Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society, which is now the Ohio History Connection. In 1951 the State of Ohio completed a major rehabilitation to the site, including filling in the Long Water. The work was completed in time for a commemoration of the 50th anniversary of President McKinley's death. A re-dedication of the Memorial was held on September 16, 1951.
The McKinley National Memorial returned to local control in 1973 when the property was transferred to the Stark County Historical Society. After five years of restoration work and enhancement of the grounds the McKinley National Memorial was rededicated on September 29, 1992. The William McKinley Presidential Library and Museum, also operated by the Stark County Historical Society, is located adjacent to the memorial.
Canton () is a city in and the county seat of Stark County, Ohio, United States. Canton is located approximately 60 miles (97 km) south of Cleveland and 20 miles (32 km) south of Akron in Northeast Ohio. The city lies on the edge of Ohio's extensive Amish country, particularly in Holmes and Wayne counties to the city's west and southwest. Canton is the largest municipality in the Canton-Massillon, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes all of Stark and Carroll counties. As of the 2010 Census, the population was 73,007, making Canton eighth among Ohio cities in population.
Founded in 1805 alongside the Middle and West Branches of Nimishillen Creek, Canton became a heavy manufacturing center because of its numerous railroad lines. However, its status in that regard began to decline during the late 20th century, as shifts in the manufacturing industry led to the relocation or downsizing of many factories and workers. After this decline, the city's industry diversified into the service economy, including retailing, education, finance and healthcare.
Canton is chiefly notable for being the home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the birthplace of the National Football League. 25th U.S. President William McKinley conducted the famed front porch campaign, which won him the presidency of the United States in the 1896 election, from his home in Canton. The McKinley National Memorial and the William McKinley Presidential Library and Museum commemorate his life and presidency. Canton was also chosen as the site of the First Ladies National Historic Site largely in honor of his wife, Ida Saxton McKinley.
Canton is currently experiencing an urban renaissance, anchored by its growing and thriving arts district centrally located in the downtown area. Several historic buildings have been rehabilitated and converted into upscale lofts, attracting thousands of new downtown residents into the city. Furthering this downtown development, in June 2016, Canton became one of the first cities in Ohio to allow the open consumption of alcoholic beverages in a "designated outdoor refreshment area" pursuant to a state law enacted in 2015 (Sub. H.B. No. 47).Ida Saxton McKinley
Ida Saxton McKinley (June 8, 1847 – May 26, 1907) was the First Lady of the United States from 1897 until 1901.List of burial places of presidents and vice presidents of the United States
Burial places of presidents and vice presidents of the United States are located across 23 states and the District of Columbia. Since the office was established in 1789, 44 persons have served as President of the United States. Of these, 39 have died. The state with the most presidential burial sites is Virginia with seven. Since its 1789 establishment, 48 persons have served as Vice President of the United States. Of these, 42 have died. The state with the most vice presidential burial sites is New York with 10. Fourteen persons have served as both president and as vice president. Of these, all have died, and each is listed in both tables. Altogether, 78 persons have held either or both offices. Of these, 67 have died.
The first table below lists each deceased president's place of burial, along with date of death, and the order of their presidency. The second table lists each deceased vice president's place of burial, along with date of death, and the order of their vice presidency.List of mausolea
This is a list of mausolea around the world.List of museums in Ohio
This list of museums in Ohio is a list of museums, defined for this context as institutions (including nonprofit organizations, government entities, and private businesses) that collect and care for objects of cultural, artistic, scientific, or historical interest and make their collections or related exhibits available for public viewing. Museums that exist only in cyberspace or on the Internet (i.e., virtual museums) are not included. Also included are non-profit and university art galleries.
See also List of museums in Cincinnati.
See also List of museums in Cleveland.
See also List of museums in Columbus, Ohio.List of people from Canton, Ohio
This list organizes and collects the names of notable people who are known for their birth, residency or other association with Canton, Ohio.National McKinley Birthplace Memorial
The National McKinley Birthplace Memorial Library and Museum is the national memorial to President William McKinley located in Niles, Ohio. Also known as the McKinley Memorial Library, Museum & Birthplace Home, the Memorial is a 232 foot by 136 foot by 38 foot marble monument with two wings. One houses the McKinley Memorial Library, which is a public library. The second wing features the McKinley Museum, with exhibits about President McKinley, and an auditorium.
The McKinley Birthplace Home and Research Center is located near the Memorial at 40 South Main Street in Niles. The historic house museum has been furnished for the period when President McKinley was in office.Presidential memorials in the United States
The presidential memorials in the United States honor the various Presidents of the United States and seek to perpetuate their legacies.September 30
September 30 is the 273rd day of the year (274th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 92 days remaining until the end of the year.
It is not only the last day of the third quarter of the year, but also the midway point of the second half of the year.State funerals in the United States
State funerals in the United States are the official funerary rites conducted by the Federal government of the United States in the nation's capital, Washington, D.C. that are offered to a sitting or former President of the United States, a President-elect, and others who have rendered distinguished service to the nation. Administered by the Military District of Washington (MDW), a command unit of the Joint Force Headquarters National Capital Region, state funerals are greatly influenced by protocol, steeped in tradition, and rich in history. However, the overall planning as well as the decision to hold a state funeral, is largely determined by a president and his family.Tennessee marble
Tennessee marble is a type of crystalline limestone found only in East Tennessee, in the southeastern United States. Long esteemed by architects and builders for its pinkish-gray color and the ease with which it is polished, this stone has been used in the construction of numerous notable buildings and monuments throughout the United States and Canada, including the National Gallery of Art and the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., the Minnesota State Capitol, as well as parts of the United States Capitol in Washington, Grand Central Terminal in New York, and Union Station in Toronto. Tennessee marble achieved such popularity in the late-19th century that Knoxville, the stone's primary finishing and distribution center, became known as "The Marble City."While Tennessee marble is not true marble, its crystalline nature lends it a strong resemblance to marble, especially when polished. The stone occurs in belts of Ordovician-period rocks known as the Holston Formation, and is quarried primarily in Knox, Blount, Loudon, Union, and Hawkins counties. While pink is the most well-known Tennessee marble color, the stone also occurs in gray, dark brown ("cedar"), and variegated shades.The use of Tennessee marble declined after World War II, when cheaper building materials became widely available. There are currently only six active Tennessee marble quarries, all operated by the Tennessee Marble Company. The stone has most recently been used in the floor of the United States Capitol Visitor Center, and for the 170-ton "First Amendment" tablet that adorns the facade of Washington's Newseum.West Lawn Cemetery
West Lawn Cemetery is in Canton, Ohio adjacent to the McKinley National Memorial. It was the original resting place of William McKinley until his memorial was built, and has graves of other notable Cantonians.William A. Lynch
William Arnold Lynch (August 4, 1844 – February 6, 1907) was an Ohio lawyer and politician.
Lynch was born in Canton, Ohio, USA in 1844, the son of Arnold Lynch and Frances (Horan) Lynch. Lynch's parents, both Irish immigrants, had moved to Ohio in their young adulthood. Arnold Lynch was employed as a surveyor and later held office as county surveyor and recorder of deeds. Arnold Lynch died in 1857, when his son was thirteen years old. William Lynch attended the public schools in Canton and graduated at the age of sixteen. He studied the law at a local attorney's office and was admitted to the bar in 1865. The next year, Lynch ran as a Democrat for the office of prosecuting attorney of the county and was elected. Lynch was appointed city solicitor of Canton the same year, holding both offices simultaneously. After completing a two-year term, he was defeated for reelection by his Republican opponent, future U.S. President William McKinley. Lynch was renominated in 1870, facing off again against McKinley, and was narrowly elected.Lynch did not seek reelection in 1872, instead starting a private practice with William R. Day, the future Supreme Court justice. In 1874, he married Eliza Underhill, with whom he had three daughters. The next year, 1875, Day and Lynch faced off against McKinley in court, the two partners representing a group of coal mine owners, and McKinley representing a group of striking miners. The case involved charges the miners rioted when confronted with strikebreakers, but only one man was convicted. Lynch's brother, Austin, joined the firm in 1878, which then became known as Lynch, Day, and Lynch. William Lynch resigned from the partnership in 1882, but the firm continued and is the predecessor of the Canton, Ohio firm Day Ketterer, which still exists.After leaving private practice, Lynch was exclusively employed working for railroad interests, including the Connotton Valley Railroad and the Pittsburgh, Akron & Western Railroad. He also was among the owners of the Canton and Massilon Electric Railway, an intercity line. After McKinley's assassination in 1901, Lynch was one of the founders of the McKinley National Memorial Association, which was responsible for the construction of the McKinley National Memorial. From 1903 to 1906, he served as a city councilman in Canton. He practiced law up to his final day, February 6, 1907, when he died in the middle of a trial in Lisbon, Ohio.William McKinley Monument
The William McKinley Monument, or McKinley Memorial, is a statue and quotation array honoring the assassinated United States President William McKinley which stands in front of the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio. Created by Hermon Atkins MacNeil between 1903 and 1906, with the assistance of his wife Carol Brooks MacNeil, the Monument was dedicated in September 1907.William McKinley Presidential Library and Museum
The William McKinley Presidential Library and Museum is the presidential library of 25th U.S. President William McKinley. The library is owned and operated by the Stark County Historical Society, and located in Canton, Ohio, where McKinley built his career as lawyer, prosecuting attorney, congressman, governor and president.
The exhibit contains the largest collection of McKinley artifacts in the world and chronicles the life and career of the 25th President, from his birth to his death at the hands of an assassin. The exhibit also explores the construction of the McKinley National Memorial and the unfortunate fate of the McKinley’s Canton home, destroyed by fire in 1937.
As for the Museum itself it boasts a science center with some wildlife and fossils. The museum has a temporary exhibit space called the Keller gallery. The museum also has an planetarium show. Because of the science center, the museum has a membership plan that lets the member access other museums meeting the same criteria throughout the United States. The museum also houses other artifacts on the surrounding city.
The museum largely relies on volunteer staff for its operations. The current curator is Kimberly Kenney.
|Lists by state|
|Lists by insular areas|
|Lists by associated state|