|Mayurbhanj State Railway|
|Eastern and Central India|
The railway was built by the erstwhile ruler of Mayurbhanj State, Maharaja Sriram Chandra Bhanj Deo. The first section of 52 km from Rupsa to Baripada was opened for traffic on 20 January 1905. Rupsa was the junction with Bengal Nagpur Railway's 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in) broad gaugeline. An agreement was signed on 2 December 1918, for extending the line to Talband, 61.5 km away. This section was opened on 15 July 1920. The line was managed through managing agents, Hoare Miller & Co. of Calcutta and was operated by the BNR.
MSR chose 20 ton 0-6-4T locomotives, designated as 'ML' class. The first two of these (No-691, 692) were built by Kerr, Stuart and Company. Later in 1924, two more locomotives (No-693, 694) built by the same company were added. These locos were later transferred to Naupada shed of Parlakimedi Light Railway , renamed PL class and heavier 'CC' class 4-6-2 locos of Satpura Railway were introduced on MSR. These were built by North British Locomotive Company, Glasgow. Later ZE class locomotives built by M/S Corpet-Louvet, M/S Krauss Maffei and M/S Kawasaki were introduced. All locos were homed at Baripada loco shed.