Maynard is a small suburban town in Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States. The town is located 22 miles west of Boston, in the MetroWest and Greater Boston region of Massachusetts and borders Acton, Concord, Stow and Sudbury. As of the 2010 federal census, the town population was 10,106.
Maynard is located on the Assabet River, a tributary of the Concord River. A large part of the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge is located within the town. Historic downtown Maynard is home to many shops, restaurants, galleries, a movie theater, and the former Assabet Woolen Mill, which produced wool fabrics from 1846 to 1950, including cloth for Union Army uniforms during the Civil War. Owners of the former mill complex currently lease space to office and light industry businesses and restaurants.
Historic Downtown Maynard on Nason Street with local shops and businesses
Progressus cum Stabilitate (Latin)
"Progress with Stability"
Location in Middlesex County in Massachusetts
|• Type||Open town meeting|
|• Total||5.4 sq mi (13.9 km2)|
|• Land||5.2 sq mi (13.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||186 ft (57 m)|
|• Density||1,957.1/sq mi (748.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (Eastern)|
|GNIS feature ID||0618229|
Maynard, located on the Assabet River, was first settled as a farming community by Puritan colonists in 1600s who acquired the land comprising modern-day Maynard from local Native American tribe members who referred to the area as Pompositicut or Assabet. In 1651 Tantamous ("Old Jethro") transferred land in what is now Maynard to Herman Garrett by defaulting on a mortgaged mare and colt, and in 1684 Tantamous' son Peter Jethro, a praying Indian, and Jehojakim and ten others transferred further land in the area to the settlers. In 1676 during King Philip's War, Native Americans gathered on Pompasitticut Hill (later known as Summer Hill) to plan an attack on Sudbury. Residents of what is now Maynard fought in the Revolutionary War, including Luke Brooks of Summer Street who was in the Stow militia company which marched to Concord on April 19, 1775. In 1851 transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau wrote about his walk through the area in his famous journal. and he published a poem about Old Marlboro Road, part of which runs through Maynard. During the American Civil War, at least thirty-six residents of Assabet Village fought for the Union.
The area now known as Maynard was originally known as "Assabet Village" and was then part of the towns of Stow and Sudbury. The Town of Maynard was incorporated as an independent municipality in 1871. There were some exploratory town-founding rumblings in 1870, followed by a petition to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, filed January 26, 1871. State approval was granted April 19, 1871. In return, the new town paid Sudbury and Stow about $23,600 and $8,000 respectively. Sudbury received more money because more land came from Sudbury and Sudbury owned shares in the railroad, and the wool mill and paper mill were located in Sudbury. The population of the newly formed town – at 1,820 – was larger than either of its parent towns.
Formation of new towns carved out of older ones was not unique to Maynard. Near-by Hudson, with its cluster of leather processing and shoe-making mills, seceded from Marlborough and Stow in 1866. In fact, the originally much larger Stow formed in 1683 lost land to Harvard, Shirley, Boxborough, Hudson and Maynard. The usual reason to petition the State's Committee on Towns was that a fast-growing population cluster – typically centered around mills – was too far from the schools, churches and Meeting Hall of the parent town.
The community was named after Amory Maynard, the man who, with William Knight, had bought water-rights to the Assabet River, installed a dam and built a large carpet mill in 1846–47. The community grew along with the Assabet Woolen Mill and made wool cloth for U.S. military uniforms for the Civil War. Further downstream along the Assabet, the American Powder Mills complex manufactured gunpowder from 1835 to 1940. The woolen mill went bankrupt in 1898; it was purchased in 1899 by the American Woolen Company, a multi-state corporation, which greatly modernized and expanded the mill complex from 1900 through 1919.
There was an attempt in 1902 to change the town's name from "Maynard" to "Assabet". Some townspeople were upset that Amory Maynard had not left the town a gift before he died in 1890, and more were upset that Lorenzo Maynard, Amory's son, had withdrawn his own money from the Mill before it went bankrupt in 1898. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts decided to keep the name as "Maynard" without allowing the topic to come to a vote by the residents.
In the early twentieth century, the village of Maynard was more modern and urbanized than many of the surrounding areas, and people would visit Maynard to shop, including Babe Ruth who lived in nearby Sudbury during the baseball off-season, and would visit Maynard to buy cigars and play pool at pool halls on Main Street. The town had a train station, an electric trolley, hotels and movie halls.
In 1942 the U.S. Army seized one-fifth of the town's land area, from the south side, to created a munitions storage facility. Land owners were evicted. The land remained military property for years. In 2005 it became part of the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge.
After the woolen mill finally shut down in 1950, a Worcester-based group of businessmen bought the property in July 1953 and began leasing it as office or manufacturing space. Major tenants included Raytheon and Dennison Manufacturing Company. Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) moved into the complex in 1957, initially renting only 8,680 square feet for $300/month. The company grew and grew until it bought the entire complex in 1974, which led to Maynard's nickname "Mini Computer Capital of the World". DEC remained in Maynard until 1998 when it was purchased by Compaq, which was itself later bought out by Hewlett Packard in 2002.
"The Mill", as locals call it, was renovated in the late 1990s and renamed "Clock Tower Place" (2000–2015), and then renamed "Mill & Main Place" by new owners in 2016. The site houses many businesses, including the headquarters of Powell Flutes. The mill complex is also home to the oldest, still-working, hand-wound clock in the country (see image). The clock tower was constructed in 1892 by Lorenzo Maynard as a gift to the town. The weights that power the E. Howard & Co. tower clock and bell-ringing mechanisms are wound up once a week – more than 6,000 times since the clock was installed. The process takes one to two hours. The four clock faces have always been illuminated by electric lights. For three months a year the Mill parking lot adjacent to Main Street is used on Saturdays for the Maynard Community Farmers' Market.
Glenwood Cemetery (incorporated 1871), located south of downtown Maynard, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. This still-active cemetery is the site of approximately 7,000 burials. On its east side it abuts St. Bridget's Cemetery, also in Maynard.
John Maynard, born 1598, came over from England with his wife Elizabeth (Ashton) Maynard around 1635. Five generations later, Isaac Maynard was operating a mill in Marlborough. When he died in 1820 at age 41 his teenage son, Amory Maynard, took over the family business. The City of Boston bought Amory's water rights to Fort Meadow Pond in 1846. He partnered with William Knight to start up a woolen mill operation on the Assabet River. Amory and his wife Mary (Priest) Maynard had three sons: Lorenzo (1829–1904), William (1833–1906) and Harlan (1843–1861). Amory managed the mill from 1847–1885 (Knight retired in 1852). Lorenzo took over from 1885 to 1898. William had less to do with the family business – he lived in Boston a while, then Maynard again, then off to Pasadena, California in 1885 for reasons of ill health (possibly tuberculosis). He recovered and moved back east to Worcester in 1888 for the remainder of his life. Harlan died at age 18.
Lorenzo married Lucy Davidson and had five children, but all of them died without issue – the four daughters passing away before their parents. William married Mary Adams and had seven children. Descendants of two – Harlan James and Lessie Louise – are alive today, but not living locally. William's granddaughter, Mary Augusta Sanderson, who died in 1947, was the last descendant to live in Maynard.
The Maynard Crypt is a prominent feature on the north side of Glenwood Cemetery, within sight of passers-by on Route 27. It is an imposing earth-covered mound with a granite facade facing the road. The mound is 90 feet across and about 12 feet tall. The stonework facade is approximately 30 feet across. The ceiling of the crypt has a glass skylight surmounted by an exterior cone of iron grillwork. The granite lintel above the door reads "MAYNARD." Chiseled above the lintel are the year 1880 and the Greek letters Alpha and Omega entwined with a Fleur-de-lis Cross. Amory Maynard, his wife, Mary, and twenty-one of their descendants or spouses thereof are interred in the crypt. At one point in time Amory's first son, Lorenzo, along with Lorenzo's wife and their four daughters, were also in the crypt, but in October 1904 Lorenzo's son arranged to have his six family members moved to a newly constructed mausoleum in Mount Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge, Massachusetts. Lorenzo had contracted for the mausoleum while still alive but died before it was completed. William, Amory's second son, was buried in the Hope Cemetery, Worcester, along with his wife and four of their seven children.
Maynard is located at (42.430781, −71.455943).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 5.4 square miles (13.9 km²), of which 5.2 square miles (13.6 km²) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.3 km²), or 2.42%, is water. Average elevation is roughly 200 feet (~61 m) above sea level; the highest point is Summer Hill, elevation 358 feet (109.1 m); the lowest is the Maynard/Acton border next to the Assabet River, at 145 feet (44.2 m).
The Assabet River flows through Maynard from west to east, spanned by seven road bridges and one foot bridge. The river's vertical drop from the Stow border to the Acton border is 30 feet (9 m). Initially, this was sufficient to hydropower the wool and paper mills, but both later added coal-powered steam engines. Average flow in the river is 200 cubic feet per second. However, in summer months the average drops to under 100 cfs, in drought conditions as low as 10 cfs. The flood of March 2010 reached 2,500 cfs. Recent, monthly and annual riverflow data is available from the U.S. Geological Service.
Average precipitation, long-term, is 43 inches (1,092 mm) per year, which includes 44 inches (112 cm) of snow. (The snow-to-water conversion is roughly eight inches of snow melts to one inch of water.) However, there has been a trend over the past 100 years of increasing precipitation, so the more recent average is closer to 50 inches per year (127 cm/year), and six of the snowiest winters on record have been since 1992–93.
The nearest rail station is in South Acton on the MBTA Commuter Rail Fitchburg Line, which is one mile from the Maynard town line. The express commuter rail is approximately 30 minutes to Porter Square in Cambridge and 45 minutes to North Station in Boston. By driving, the connection to Route 2 is four miles from downtown Maynard. Connections to I-95 in the east and I-495 in the west are both 8 miles from downtown Maynard.
Construction of a 3.4 four mile portion of the Assabet River Rail Trail was completed in September 2018. It runs from the South Acton train station at the north end, though the center of Maynard and along the Assabet River to the Maynard:Stow border, where, via White Pond Road, there is access to the Assabet River National Wildlife Refuge. ARRT is open to pedestrians and non-motorized transportation (skateboards, bicycles, rolerblades, etc.).
|Source: United States Census records and Population Estimates Program data.|
The 2010 census put the population at 10,106 residents, a 3% decline from 2000.
As of the census of 2010, there had been 10,106 people, 4,239 households, and 2,649 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,871 people per square mile (727/km²). There were 4,239 housing units, at an average density of 785 per square mile (305/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 92.7% White, 1.7% Black or African American, 0.1% Native American, 2.7% Asian, 1.3% from other races, and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.7% of the population.
There were 4,239 households out of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.4% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.5% were non-families. 30.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 3.03.
The population distribution was 24.2% under the age of 19, 32.0% from 20 to 44, 30.9% from 45 to 64, and 12.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41.3 years. For every 100 females, there were 91.8 males. For every 100 females age 65 and over, there were 71.1 males.
By per capita income, Maynard ranked 113 out of 351 Massachusetts towns and cities, at $39,447. The median income for a household in the town was $77,622, and the median income for a family was $104,398. About 3.8% of families and 5.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.4% of those under age 18 and 6.0% of those age 65 or over.
Maynard has three public schools on adjoining campuses off Route 117. There is also an adult education program. One private school offers a classical Christian education program for grades K through 8.
Maynard uses the Open Town Meeting form of town government popular in small to mid-sized Massachusetts towns. Anyone may attend a town meeting, but only registered voters may vote. Before the meeting, a warrant is distributed to households in Maynard and posted on the town's website. Each article in the warrant is debated and voted on separately. A minimum of 75 registered voters is required as a quorum to hold a town meeting and vote on town business. The quorum requirement was reduced from 100 in 2009 because at times, meetings were failing to achieve a quorum. Important budgetary issues approved at a town meeting must be passed by a subsequent ballot vote. Maynard's elected officials are a five-member Board of Selectman. Each member is elected to a three-year term. Also filled by election are the School Committee, Housing Authority, Maynard Public Library Trustees and a Moderator to preside over the town meetings. Positions filled by appointment include the Town Administrator and other positions. Details of government are in the Maynard Town Charter and Town of Maynard Bylaws.
In the Massachusetts General Court, Maynard is represented by Rep. Kate Hogan and Sen. Jamie Eldridge. In the United States Congress, Maynard is represented by Rep. Lori Trahan in the House of Representatives. The state's senior (Class I) member of the United States Senate is Elizabeth Warren. The junior (Class II) senator is Ed Markey.
History of former places of worship:
Amory Maynard (1804-1890) was a textile manufacturer who was the namesake of Maynard, Massachusetts.AquaBounty Technologies
AquaBounty Technologies is a biotechnology company based in Maynard, Massachusetts, United States. The company is notable for its research and development of genetically modified fish. It aims to create products that aim to increase the productivity of aquaculture.Attack on Sudbury
The Attack on Sudbury (April 21, 1676) was a raid and battle of King Philip's War, fought in Sudbury, Massachusetts. Before the attack, Native Americans gathered on Pompositticut Hill (also known as Summer Hill in what is now Maynard, Massachusetts) and decided to attack Sudbury instead of Concord. The town was surprised by Algonquian raiders at dawn, but security precautions limited the damage to unoccupied homesteads. Reinforcements that arrived from nearby towns were drawn into ambushes by the Algonquians; Marlborough Captain Samuel Wadsworth lost his life and half of a 60-man militia in such an ambush. Afterwards, Algonquians made their way through much of Sudbury, but were held off by John Grout and handful of men until colonial reinforcements arrived to help in the defense.DEC BATCH-11/DOS-11
BATCH-11/DOS-11, also known simply as DOS-11, is a discontinued operating system by Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) of Maynard, Massachusetts. The first version of DOS-11 (V08-02) was released in 1970 and was the first operating system to run on the Digital PDP-11 minicomputer. DOS-11 was not known to be easy to use even in its day and became much less used in 1973 with the release of the RT-11 operating system.Elizabeth Updike Cobblah
Elizabeth Updike Cobblah (born 1955) is the eldest child of noted author John Updike, and she was the model for several of his characters. She is currently an art teacher and well-known ceramicist, painter, and illustrator in Massachusetts. She is married to Tete Cobblah.Fort Meadow Reservoir
Fort Meadow Reservoir is a 260-acre lake in Marlborough, Massachusetts, United States. At its widest point, the lake measures roughly 700 metres. From end to end, it measures 2,480 metres (1.54 mi) long.
Amory Maynard, the founder of Maynard, Massachusetts, originally operated a saw mill on the channel leading into Fort Meadow Pond before the City of Boston acquired his water rights. The Reservoir lies
76.2 metres (250 ft) above sea level.The Fort Meadow Reservoir ends at the borders of Hudson and Marlborough.
The lake consists of a primary and secondary basin, separated by a narrows near the center of the two. The primary basin is split into two sections by a road.
Two public beaches are located on the secondary basin. Centennial Beach lies on the Hudson side while Memorial Beach lies on the Marlborough side.
Motorized boating is allowed, making it a popular local destination for recreation.Frank Murray (coach)
Frank J. Murray (February 12, 1885 – September 12, 1951) was an American football and basketball coach. He served as the head football coach at Marquette University from 1922 to 1936 and again from 1946 to 1949, and at the University of Virginia from 1937 to 1945, compiling a career college football record of 145–89–1. Murray was also the head basketball coach at Marquette from 1920 to 1929, tallying a mark of 94–73. Murray was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1983.Fred Kovaleski
Fred Thomas Kovaleski (October 8, 1924 – May 25, 2018) was an American tennis player, spy, and businessman.Glenwood Cemetery (Maynard, Massachusetts)
Glenwood Cemetery is a historic cemetery northeast of Parker Street and Great Road in Maynard, Massachusetts. It is one of the first municipal creations of the town after its incorporation in 1871, and is the resting place of many of its early and prominent residents, including Amory Maynard, founder of the Assabet Woolen Mill and namesake of the community. The cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.Jarrod Shoemaker
Jarrod Shoemaker (born July 17, 1982) is a professional triathlete based in Maynard, Massachusetts. He is the 2009 ITU Duathlon World Champion.Leo Mullin
Leo Mullin (born 1943) is an American executive and philanthropist who has served as CEO and Chairman of Delta Air Lines along with several other large corporations.
Mullin was born in Maynard, Massachusetts where his father was the Maynard High School principal and his mother was a teacher. Mullin graduated from Harvard College in 1964 with a bachelor's degree in engineering, and then received an MS from Harvard in physics in 1965 and MBA in 1967 from Harvard Business School.Mullin first worked at McKinsey & Company from 1967 to 1976. He then served as a vice president at Consolidated Rail Corporation from 1976 to 1981 and First Chicago Corporation from 1981 to 1984. He then served as chairman of American National Bank and Trust Company from 1991 to 1993 before leaving to serve as chairman of First Chicago Corporation from 1993 to 1995. From 1995 to 1997 he was chief operating officer of Unicom/Commonwealth Edison. Mullin served as CEO of Delta from 1997 to 2003 and Chairman from 1999 to 2004 when he was succeeded by Gerald Grinstein.Mullin is active as a philanthropist working with Field Museum of Natural History, the Chicago Chamber of Commerce, and the Chicago Urban League.Massachusetts Route 27
Route 27 is a south–north highway in eastern Massachusetts that runs for 73.4 miles.Mat Bruso
Mat Bruso (born 1983) is vocalist of the Massachusetts metalcore band, Bury Your Dead. He joined the band in 2003, shortly before the band signed to Victory Records and released their debut full-length album You Had Me At Hello.
Bruso left the band in January 2007 to become a teacher, mainly working at Fowler Middle School in Maynard, Massachusetts. He taught science until 2018.Bruso is straight edge.Maynard High School (Massachusetts)
Maynard High School is the only public high school in Maynard, Massachusetts. The 2015-16 enrollment is 485 students for grades 8 through 12. A new high school building opened for the 2013-14 school year. The high school used to contain the eighth grade. In fall of 2017 the high school nom longer contained the eighth grade. the eighth grade went back to Fowler Middle School. The high school was one of only three schools in Massachusetts awarded Leader Status by the Collaborative for High Performance Schools for being a green building. The school has a 13:1 student teacher ratio. The school mascot is the tiger. The High School's campus is adjacent to the Green Meadow School and Fowler School.Presidential Village, Maynard, Massachusetts
Presidential Village (also once known as New Village, Reardonville, and Mahoneyville) is a residential neighborhood of approximately 250 houses in Maynard, Massachusetts where almost all of the streets are named after the post-American Civil War U.S. Presidents: Ulysses Grant, Rutherford Hayes, James Garfield, Chester Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, William McKinley, and Theodore Roosevelt. The American Woolen Company started construction of the neighborhood in 1902 as rented mill worker housing - small houses on small lots. The mill owned the housing until August 1934 when it put 101 houses and 49 two-family dwellings up for auction. The single-family houses sold for about $1100 to $1400. The neighborhood remains largely preserved in its original form. Prior to the construction the land had been farmland belonging to the Reardon and Mahoney families.According to a Boston Globe newspaper article at the time, New Village was a "model village," and a great improvement over the many factory sponsored housing projects that the newspaper described as "barracks-like rows of apartment houses." Houses in New Village, by contrast, varied by style of architecture. Each house was freestanding with sufficient space for a garden and trees. Furthermore, while all of Maynard enjoyed a public water system in the early 1900s, New Village was the only neighborhood in Maynard that had sewers. In the assessment of the Boston Globe, "....there probably is not today anywhere in New England a similar number of houses designed for occupancy of mill employes(sic) equal in all respects to these."The Town of Maynard Historical Commission has created six self-guided historic walking tours. Tour #3 visits New Village: "Thirteen different styles of houses were built and are designated as Types A-M. The village was built on the old Mahoney and Reardon farms and boasted a private sewer system. Each house had pine flooring, a cold water tap, a toilet in the cellar, and no central heat. Houses were rented to mill employees for $3-6 per month."Red Flaherty
John Francis "Red" Flaherty (April 25, 1917 – April 1, 1999) was a professional baseball umpire who worked in the American League from 1953 to 1973. Flaherty umpired 3,208 major league games in his 21-year career. He umpired in four World Series (1955, 1958, 1965, and 1970), two League Championship Series (1969 and 1972) and three All-Star Games (1956, 1961 and 1969).Unibus
The Unibus was the earliest of several computer bus and backplane designs used with PDP-11 and early VAX systems manufactured by the Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) of Maynard, Massachusetts. The Unibus was developed around 1969 by Gordon Bell and student Harold McFarland while at Carnegie Mellon University.VAXBI Bus
The VAXBI bus (VAX Bus Interconnect bus) is a computer bus designed and sold by the Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) of Maynard, Massachusetts.
The bus is an advanced, configuration-free synchronous bus used on DEC's later VAX computers. Like the Unibus and Q-Bus before it, it uses memory-mapped I/O but has 32-bit address and data paths. The VAXBI is a multiplexed bus with fully distributed arbitration and geographic addressing.
All of the logic required to implement a VAXBI interface is contained within a single custom integrated circuit (the "BIIC") and the physical layout and printed wiring board layout for compliant cards is tightly specified, right down to the location of the dual amber status LEDs that are required. The portion of the card that is reserved for the bus interface is referred to as "the VAXBI corner". VAXBI licensees were given the appropriate engineering drawings to allow them to exactly replicate a compliant card.
VAXBI cards mount into backplanes using a ZIF connector; depending on the backplane design, cards can be loaded from the top or the front side of the backplane. No cable connections are permitted on the cards; all connections are made via three uncommitted rows of backplane connectors. Similarly, no configuration jumpers are permitted on the cards; all setup is done by jumpers inserted on the backplane connectors or via software configuration.
Originally conceived by its engineers to be an open bus, it was forced to be a tightly licensed bus by Digital's marketing and management, and was not nearly as successful as had originally been hoped-for.
It is used in the VAX 6000, VAX 8000 (82xx, 83xx, 85xx, 87xx, 88xx models) and the VAX 9000 systems and also on the MIPS R3000 based DECsystem 5800 series.
A PDP-11 implementation (the PDP-11/27) was envisioned but never advanced beyond the concept stage.WAVM
WAVM (91.7 FM) is a high school radio station broadcasting from Maynard High School in Maynard, Massachusetts. Station programming provides the local area with news and church service broadcasts among other types of programming. Founded in 1973, WAVM has aided the careers of several of the school's successful alumni.
Municipalities and communities of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, United States
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|