The mayor was, as of January 2011, Uyan (CHP).
|• Mayor||İbrahim Uyan (CHP)|
|• District||196.85 km2 (76.00 sq mi)|
|• District density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
Ereğli is 30 km east of the town of Tekirdağ, and 90 km west of Istanbul near a small pointed headland on the north shore of the Marmara Sea. It is called Marmara Ereğlisi (or Marmara Ereğli in colloquial usage) to distinguish it from the two other large towns in Turkey with the name Ereğli (deriving from the Greek name Heraclea), one in Konya Province (Konya Ereğlisi), the other on the Black Sea coast (Karadeniz Ereğli).
The town, originally a Samian colony, was founded as Perinthos (Greek: Πέρινθος), in English usually known by its Latinized form as Perinthus. In about 300 AD, it was given the name of Heraclea (Ἡράκλεια). It was built amphitheatre-like on the hillside of a cape extending into the Sea of Marmara, close to where the modern town stands. Its port and its position at the junction of several sea-routes, made it a town of commercial importance. It became famous because of its resistance to Philip II of Macedon in 340 BC. Many of its coins have survived, and identify the festivals held there.
At an early date, according to tradition in the Apostolic Age, Heraclea became a Christian bishopric. As capital of the Roman province of Europa, it was the metropolitan see for all the bishoprics of the province, including Byzantium, which in 330 became Constantinople. Later on, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I would restore its aqueducts and palace. The see of Constantinople soon obtained superiority over Heraclea. However, Heraclea was recognized in the Notitia Episcopatuum of Pseudo-Epiphanius as having five suffragan sees: Panium, Callipolis, Chersonesus in Europa, Coela, and Rhaedestus. An early 10th-century Notitia Episcopatuum attributed to Leo VI the Wise lists the suffragans as 15 and another, dating from 1022–1025, puts them at 17. With the advance of the Ottoman conquests, the number of suffragans was severely reduced. In the early 20th century, it still had two suffragans. Today it is only a titular "Elder Metropolis and Exarchate of Thrace" of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. In the 13th century, there were Latin diocesan bishops of Heraclea. Today, the Catholic Church lists it as a titular see.
In his 1815 account of his visit to the area, Edward Daniel Clarke stated that, in spite of its name, which means "Old Ereğli or Heraclea", the village of Eski Ereğli (today, Gümüşyaka), where he hoped to find antiquities, had scarcely any ancient remains, and he was informed that it was the coastal village known locally as Büyük Ereğli (Big Ereğli or Big Heraclea), about two hours (six miles) distant, that corresponded to the ancient city of Heraclea.
Eski Ereğli corresponds instead to the ancient town and bishopric of Daonium. This appears as a bishopric for the first time in the early 10th century in the above-mentioned list of Leo VI the Wise. Its bishop Thomas took part in the Second Council of Nicaea in 787 and Clemens in the Photian Council of Constantinople (879). Like Heraclea, it had a Latin bishop in the time of the Latin Empire of Constantinople (1204–1261). No longer a residential bishopric, Daonium is today listed by the Catholic Church as a titular see.
Ereğli is a small town, quiet in winter. There is a long coastline and the sea is clean enough for swimming, (not true of much of the Marmara) and the coast on either side of Ereğli is lined with hotels and compounds of holiday properties serving people from Istanbul, who come to relax in the summer sunshine. Ereğli is only an hour's drive from Istanbul and on a summer Sunday evening the road is a solid queue of returning weekenders.
The holiday compounds are complicated mazes of little roads tightly packed with villas or buildings of holiday flats, leading down to the sea. Some of them have cafes and restaurants on the seafront, sometimes open to people from outside the compound. In places there are public beaches, although very crowded on summer weekends, and paths for children to play on bicycles. These holiday homes are family places and not all the compounds have nightlife.
The town of Ereğli and its nearby villages are used by these weekenders and summer residents for fast food, grocery shopping, internet cafes and other amenities. The town itself is a mixture of large modern blocks and old country houses, both types mostly having been built without proper planning or architectural design. There is a small harbour. The people of Ereğli are a mixture of established families who have been in Thrace for generations and recently arrived migrant workers.
A large fault follows this coast, and the holiday housing of Ereğli is all vulnerable to damage from the inevitable earthquakes.
Apart from tourism Ereğli has two natural harbors and three small ports. The natural gas company Botaş and also Total Petroleum have tanker ports. There is a LNG storage facility and a natural gas-fired power plant on the point of the headland, in the village of Sultanköy.
Apollodorus was an Athenian general of the 4th century BCE. He commanded the Persian auxiliaries which the Athenians had solicited from the king of Persia, Artaxerxes III, against Philip of Macedon in 340. Artaxerxes, who was keen to block the advance of Philip, ordered his satraps to render all aid they could, and the satrap Arsites stepped in to provide mercenaries. Apollodorus became engaged with these troops in protecting the town of Perinthus (modern Marmara Ereğlisi) while Philip invaded its territory. Apollodorus's forces had laid in significant provisions, and successfully repelled the siege.Apollodorus was buried with civic honors in the Athenian Kerameikos.BOTAŞ
BOTAŞ Petroleum Pipeline Corporation (BOTAS) is the state-owned crude oil and natural gas pipelines and trading company in Turkey. The company was established in 1974 as a subsidiary of Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı (TPAO). Since 1995, BOTAS is a wholly state-owned company.Battle of Tzirallum
The Battle of Tzirallum was one of the civil wars of the Tetrarchy fought on 30 April 313 between the Roman armies of emperors Licinius and Maximinus. The battle location was on the "Campus Serenus" at Tzirallum, identified as the modern-day town of Çorlu, in Tekirdağ Province, in the Turkish region of Eastern Thrace. Sources put the battle between 18 and 36 Roman miles from Heraclea Perinthus, the modern-day town of Marmara Ereğlisi.Ereğli
Ereğli (formerly Erekli) is a Turkish toponym derived from Ancient Greek Ἡράκλεια (Herakleia), in Latin Heraclea or Heraclia, named after the hero-born god Heracles. It may refer to :
Karadeniz Ereğli, a city and its district in Zonguldak Province, Turkey
Konya Ereğlisi, a city and its district in Konya Province, Turkey
Marmara Ereğlisi, a city and its district in Tekirdağ Province, European Turkey, formerly archbishopric Heraclea in Europa, a Latin Catholic titular see
Ereğli, a small town in Karamürsel district of Kocaeli Province in TurkeyLocally, they are all simply called "Ereğli".Europa (Roman province)
Europa was a Roman province within the Diocese of Thrace.G. M. Dimitrov
Georgi Mihov Dimitrov (Bulgarian: Георги Михов Димитров; 15 April 1903 – 21 November 1972), known as Gemeto (Гемето, "The G. M.") to distinguish him from Georgi Dimitrov Mihaylov, was a Bulgarian politician, a leading figure of the Bulgarian Agrarian National Union during the 1930s and 1940s, and an opponent of fascism and communism alike.III Corps (Ottoman Empire)
The III Corps of the Ottoman Empire (Turkish: 3üncü Kolordu or Üçüncü Kolordu) was one of the corps of the Ottoman Army. It was formed in the early 20th century during Ottoman military reforms.John Komnenos Molyvdos
John Komnenos Molyvdos (Greek: Ιωάννης Κομνηνός Μόλυβδος), also known by his monastic name Hierotheos (Ἱερόθεος), was an Ottoman Greek scholar and physician, who later in life became a monk and Eastern Orthodox metropolitan bishop of Side and Dristra. He claimed to be a descendant of the Byzantine imperial dynasty of the Komnenoi, specifically of the branch that ruled the Empire of Trebizond, and is often regarded as the last member of the family. This claim is most likely a fabrication.Kedouktos
Kedouktos (Greek: Κηδούκτος) or Kedoktos (Κηδόκτος), also Akedoukton (Ἀκεδοῦκτον) and ta Kidoktou (τὰ Κιδόκτου), was a plain near Herakleia Perinthos in Byzantine times.
The location of Kedouktos has not been identified with any certainty, but it lay near the river Halmyros (modern Kalivri Dere), and between the towns of Daneion (modern Kınalıköprü) and Herakleia (modern Marmara Ereğlisi). The name is evidently a hellenization of the Latin aquaeductus and refers to a local aqueduct; despite its vicinity with it, it was probably not part of the great system that supplied the Byzantine capital, Constantinople.The site is first mentioned in 813 as Akedoukton or ta Kidoktou, when Michael I Rhangabe campaigned against the Bulgars, and was escorted by his wife Prokopia. Her presence was unwelcome to the troops, who rioted. In October or November 822, the plain was the site of the decisive battle in the rebellion of Thomas the Slav, between the rebel forces and the Bulgars under Omurtag, who was allied to Emperor Michael II the Amorian. The battle was costly for both sides and resulted in no clear winner, but weakened Thomas, leading to the collapse of his rebellion in spring 823.The site appears again during the rebellion of Nikephoros Bryennios the Elder against Nikephoros III Botaneiates in 1078. Shortly before the Battle of Kalavrye, where Bryennios was defeated by Botaneiates' general Alexios Komnenos, the rebel army had camped at Kedouktos. In a praktikon of 1104, it is listed among the possessions of the Iviron Monastery on Mount Athos. At the turn of the 13th century it formed an imperial episkepsis, and was recorded in the Partitio Romaniae ("pertinentia Cedocti") as one of the areas allotted to the individual Crusader knights.LORAN-C transmitter Kargaburun
LORAN-C transmitter Kargaburun is the Yankee secondary station of the Mediterranean Sea LORAN-C Chain (GRI 7990).
It uses a transmission power of 165 kW. Kargaburun LORAN-C transmitter is situated at Kargaburun in Marmara Ereğlisi district of Tekirdağ Province, Turkey at 40°58'21" N, 27°52'2" E, (40°58′21″N 27°52′2″E). ("Kargaburun" is Turkish for "crow's nose" or "pliers")
On February 25, 1993 the 190.5 m (625 ft) tall mast radiator collapsed in a snowstorm. It was later replaced by a tower of same height. Currently, the facility is shut down.List of municipalities in Tekirdağ Province
This is the List of municipalities in Tekirdağ Province, Turkey as of October 2007.List of ports in Turkey
This is a list of ports in Turkey grouped by sea and sorted after port name, wherein piers and special purpose terminals (oil, natural gas, LNG terminals) are separated. Marinas in Turkey are not listed here.Marmara Ereğlisi LNG Storage Facility
Marmara Ereğlisi LNG Storage Facility (Turkish: Marmara Ereğlisi LNG Terminali) is an above-ground liquefied natural gas (LNG) tanks facility in Tekirdağ Province, northwestern Turkey.
The LNG storage facility is located in Marmara Ereğlisi, 35 km (22 mi) east of Tekirdağ and 95 km (59 mi) west of Istanbul. It is part of an LNG terminal operated by the state-owned natural gas distributor BOTAŞ, where LNG carriers at a discharge port pump the imported cargo ashore. LNG is stored in tanks and regasified to convey to the main pipeline system as needed.The project for the construction of the LNG storage facility launched in 1984. The facility went into service in August 1994. In 2007, six filling platforms were added for tank trucks having 20–50 m3 (710–1,770 cu ft) capacity. Three filling platforms are able to fill up daily 75 tanker trucks.With the completion of an additional fourth storage tank in 2019, country's LNG storage capacity will increase by 30%. The expansion will increase the total storage capacity of the facility about 50% up to 27,000,000 m3 (950,000,000 cu ft) with extra 9,000,000 m3 (320,000,000 cu ft).Perinthus
Perinthus or Perinthos (Ancient Greek: ἡ Πέρινθος) was a great and flourishing town of ancient Thrace, situated on the Propontis. According to John Tzetzes, it bore at an early period the name of Mygdonia (Μυγδονία).
It lay 22 miles west of Selymbria, on a small peninsula of the bay which bears its name, and was built like an amphitheatre, on the declivity of a hill. It was originally a Samian colony, and, according to George Syncellus, was founded about 599 BC. German archaeologist Theodor Panofka, however, makes it contemporary with Samothrace, that is about 1000 BC. It was particularly renowned for its obstinate defence against Philip V of Macedon At that time it appears to have been a more important and flourishing town even than Byzantium and being both a harbour and a point at which several main roads met, it was the seat of extensive commerce. This circumstance explains the reason why so many of its coins are still extant from which we learn that large and celebrated festivals were held here.After the fourth century AD it assumed the name of Heraclea or Heracleia (Ἡράκλεια); which we find sometimes used alone, and sometimes with additions Heraclea Thraciae and Heraclea Perinthus.Justinian restored the old imperial palace, and the aqueducts of the city. Coins of Perinthus have also survived.Its site is near modern Marmara Ereğlisi, in Turkey.Sultanköy
Sultanköy is a town in Tekirdağ Province, Turkey.Tekirdağ Province
Tekirdağ Province (Turkish: Tekirdağ ili, pronounced [teˈciɾdaː]) is a province of Turkey. It is located in the East Thrace region of the country, also known as European Turkey, one of only three provinces entirely within continental Europe. Tekirdağ Province is bordered by Istanbul Province to the east, Kırklareli Province to the north, Edirne Province to the west, and the Gallipoli peninsula of Çanakkale Province to the south.
Tekirdağ is the capital of the province, and the largest city in European Turkey aside from the European section of Istanbul.Unimar Marmara Ereğlisi Power Plant
Unimar Marmara Ereğlisi Power Plant (Turkish: Unimar Marmara Ereğlisi Enerji Santralı) is a natural gas-fired power plant in Tekirdağ Province northwestern Turkey.
The electric power plant is situated at Sultanköy in Marmara Ereğlisi of Tekirdağ Province, around 100 km (62 mi) west of Istanbul. It is adjacent to the Marmara Ereğlisi LNG Storage Facility. It is a combined cycle plant with 480 MW installed power and 3.6 TW·h annual generation capacity. The power plant and its electrical substation were built by the Swedish ASEA Brown Boveri (ABB) on a build–operate–transfer (BOT) basis, and went in service in 1999. The construction cost US$360 million. The plant is owned by the Turkish private power producer Uni-Mar Co., which is co-owned by the Japanese Marubeni and the Belgian Unit International. The British energy company National Power is in charge of operation of the power plant.The plant features advanced combined cycle technology with two 160-MW gas turbines and one steam turbine. Natural gas fired in the power plant is obtained from the state-owned crude oil and natural gas pipelines and trading company BOTAŞ Petroleum Pipeline Corporation (BOTAS), which operates the neighboring LNG storage facility. Generated electrical energy is sold to the state-owned electric utility TETAŞ.Yeniçiftlik
Yeniçiftlik (literally New farm) is a town in Marmaraereğlisi district of Tekirdağ Province, Turkey. It is situated in Rumeli (Eastern Thrace, the European part of Turkey) between Tekirdağ and Marmaraereğlisi at 41°01′N 27°51′E. Although the original settlement was a few kilometers north of the sea side, the new quarters of the town are at the Marmara Sea coast. The distance to Marmaraereğilisi is 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) and to Tekirdağ is 30 kilometres (19 mi) . The population of Yeniçiftlik is 7356 as of 2011. The town was mostly a Bulgarian settlement during the Ottoman Empire era. But according to agreement the former population of the town was replaced by the Turks from Bulgaria in the first quarter of the 20th century. The settlement was specialized vinification in the early years of the Turkish republic with the help of German investors. But the main agricultural product is sun flower. Fishery and cattle rising are among the other activities.
Metropolitan municipalities are bolded.