Houses on the site of the
former Mapperley Brickworks
|Population||15,846 (ward. 2011)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
At various periods the terms ‘Mapperley’ and ‘Mapperley Plains’ have been applied to lands, on either side of Woodborough Road (B684), from a point at the junction of Mapperley Road, north-east for a distance of some 3.75 miles (6 km), to that point where the road forks towards Woodborough village. The stretch of Woodborough Road from Mapperley Road to Porchester Road is called ‘Mapperley Plains’ on Jackson’s map of 1851-66, for example. This section considers the history of the suburb within the present day city boundary.
The origins of the city of Nottingham suburb called Mapperley seem to be found in the fourteenth century. Writing in the 1670s about lands in the lordship of Basford,(i.e. west of present-day Woodborough Road) which were called cornerswong, Dr. Thoroton, notes:
Early in his career Thomas Mapurley had been known by the name Thomas Holt of Mapperley, Derbyshire, but he changed his surname to the place of his origin, and it was after him that the suburb was subsequently named. He was under-sheriff of Nottinghamshire from about 1387 to 1391, during which time he was returned as MP for Nottingham in 1388 and 1391. He was mayor of the town in 1402-3 and recorder 1407-10.
In the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries, Thoroton mentions lands in 'Maperley Closes' being in the possession of members of families called Staples, Querneby and Blyth (q.v.). By the early seventeenth century it seems that what was known as ‘Mapperley’ was Mapperley Hills Common, a narrow strip of land, shown on Bankes’s map of 1609, all to the east of Mapperley Hills Road (present day Woodborough Road), which began about where Alexandra Court now stands and continued northeast, ending close to the top of present-day Porchester Road. It measured about 1.7 km long and from only 80m to 200m wide.
An advertisement of 1772 in the Nottingham Journal announced:
To judge from the land awarded as a result of the Basford Enclosure Act of 1792, ‘Mapperley’, at this time, meant all that area bounded by Redcliffe Road, Mansfield Road, Private Road and Woodborough Road. It is thought that the banker, John Smith, bought the advertised Mapperley estate. He died in 1776, leaving three daughters, one of whom, Mary, married Thomas Wright, and so the estate became the property of the Wright family. In the 1790s Ichabod Wright (1767-1862) built Mapperley Hall at the heart of the estate. In 1873 Ichabod's grandson, Colonel Charles Ichabod Wright began to sell land due south of the Hall and grounds; a plot bounded by Woodborough Road, the upper portion of Magdala Road and Lucknow Drive, intended for six houses. The greater part of the Mapperley estate was only released for development in 1903. On 20 March of that year, the northern side of the estate was put up for auction, its 130 acres being described as a 'picturesque and finely timbered park'. At the auction the Wrights sold it for £74,500 to a group that included a well known local architect, William Beedham Starr, who wasted no time in submitting a detailed development plan to Nottingham Corporation for a series of streets to be set out on the land. Between 1906 and 1914 around 163 houses received planning consent in Mapperley Park, mostly in the northern area.
The land on which the area of Alexandra Park now stands was originally a part of Mapperley Hills Common (q.v. above). Following the Enclosure Act of 1845 the land in this area was sold into private ownership, eventually falling into the possession of Jonathan and Benjamin Hine in the 1850s. They engaged their brother, the celebrated local architect Thomas C. Hine to lay out the area and design the substantial houses that now define the character of the area. Enderleigh was one of the four earliest developed of these houses, the others being Femleigh, Springfield House and Sunnyholme (now Trent House). These houses were built for some of the wealthiest figures within Nottingham at the time. Following the construction of these early houses Alexandra Park continued to develop as an exclusive residential area and does still retain something of this reputation.
Developments further north, along the east side of Woodborough Road started later and by 1881 there were about forty buildings, beyond Alexandra Park, stretching as far as the city's new boundary. Two new public houses appear around this time, the Duke of Cambridge and the Belle Vue, and there were two new streets, Blyth Street and Querneby Road, with houses beginning to be built from about 1900. Over the next twenty years there was more building with new streets and houses as far as Porchester Road.
In 1837 a new thoroughfare, Coppice Road (now Ransom Road), was made through the coppice from St Ann’s to Mapperley Common. The trees at the side of the road were planted in 1845. The Coppice Hospital on Ransom Drive, was designed by Thomas C. Hine.and built in 1857-9. It was the second asylum to be built in Nottingham, the General Lunatic Asylum being the first, having been constructed at Sneinton Fields, off Carlton Road, in 1812. Mapperley Hospital (the Nottingham Borough Asylum) on Porchester Road was designed by G. T. Hine, son of Thomas C. Hine, and built between 1875-80.
St Jude’s on Woodborough Road was opened in 1877, as a daughter church of St Ann's, on land given by the Wright family. A chancel was added in 1893 and north and south aisles in 1916. St. Jude's became a separate parish on 9 November 1926.
The Borough Extension Act 1877, which expanded the area of Nottingham from 1,996 acres to 10,935 acres, had the effect of bringing a number of settlements in Basford parish into the area of the town; these included Mapperley together with neighbouring Carrington and Sherwood. Before the Act Redcliffe Road (then Red Lane) was the northern extent of the town. After the Act, the new boundary ran along Porchester Road to Woodborough Road, north for several hundred yards and then west down Woodthorpe Drive.
Lands alongside the B684, beyond the city boundary as far as the turning for Woodborough, are now commonly called the Mapperley Plains. As the area was once woodland, it may be that the term ‘plains’ is used here in its sense of an area that has been cleared of trees.
The main part of Mapperley is at a little over 400 feet (120 metres) above sea level and is the highest area of Nottingham. It is on a long narrow spur (the remnant of a plateau eroded by glacial melt water) that runs SW-NE on a narrow ridge, now topped by Woodborough Road.
Some of the Nottingham region's largest brickworks were formerly on the high ground at Mapperley, as its Keuper marl (now known as Mercia Mudstone), was suitable for brick making. This led to the saying that 'Nottingham once stood on Mapperley Plains', for the area was the source of so many of the town’s buildings in the nineteenth century. Victorian Nottingham bricks were once exported to other parts of the country and, it is said that the bricks for St Pancras railway station came from Mapperley.
Locally the name "Mapperley Top" is used to describe the collection of shops running along Woodborough Road roughly three miles from the Nottingham city centre.
Mapperley Park is a conservation area and one of Nottingham’s most prestigious residential locations, located just north of the city centre and noted for its distinguished Victorian and Edwardian properties set along attractive tree lined avenues. Its boundaries are Mapperley Road (south), Mansfield Road (west), Private Road (north) and Woodborough Road (east).
The location known as Mapperley Ridge, at 122 metres above sea level, has a transmitter which broadcasts BBC Radio Nottingham and Capital FM (formerly Trent FM), as well as three DAB digital radio multiplexes (NOW Nottingham, BBC National DAB, and Digital One).
Mapperley today is represented both on Nottingham City Council and Gedling Borough Council. The current councillors are evenly split: three for the City Ward, who are Labour Party councillors, and three for the borough, who are also Labour Party councillors. The population of Mapperley Ward (part of Nottingham unitary authority) at the 2011 census was 15,846.
A.F.C. Mapperley is an amateur football club that has represented the area since its inception in 2018. They currently play in Division Three of the Nottinghamshire Sunday League.
The 2007 elections to Nottingham City Council were held on 3 May 2007 to elect all 55 members to the Council.2011 Gedling Borough Council election
The 2011 Gedling Borough Council election took place on 5 May 2011 to elect members of Gedling Borough Council in Nottinghamshire, England. The whole council was up for election and the Labour party gained overall control of the council from the Conservative party.2019 Nottingham City Council election
The 2019 elections to Nottingham City Council were held on 2 May 2019 to elect all 55 members to the council across 20 wards. The Conservative candidate for Wollaton West, Carl Husted, was suspended by the Conservative Party after comparing people who voted for Remain in the EU Referendum to those who voted for the Nazis.Augustus Bateman
Augustus Bateman (3 August 1839 – 18 December 1922) was an English first-class cricketer active 1859–62 who played for Nottinghamshire and Cambridge University. He was born in West Leake; died in Mapperley.Carlton, Nottinghamshire
Carlton is a suburb to the east of the city of Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England. It is in the borough of Gedling. The population of the Gedling ward at the 2011 Census was 6,881.Carrington, Nottingham
Carrington is a small suburb of Nottingham, England, located approximately 1.3 miles (2.1 km) north of Nottingham city centre. It lies next to the areas of Sherwood, Mapperley, Forest Fields, Basford, Sherwood Rise and the Forest Recreation Ground.Cyril Stapleton
Cyril Stapleton (31 December 1914 – 25 February 1974) was an English violinist and jazz bandleader.
Born in Mapperley, Nottingham, Stapleton began playing violin at age 7, and played on local radio at the age of 12. He performed on the BBC Radio often in his teenage years, and played in film orchestras accompanying silent films. He attended Trinity College of Music in London, and played in a dance band there led by Henry Hall. This ensemble also played on the BBC and made several recordings for EMI. After losing his position in the band, he went back to Nottingham and formed his own.
In the 1930s, Stapleton toured South Africa with the Jack Payne Orchestra. Later in the decade Stapleton and his band relocated to London; they won their own spot performing on the BBC in 1939. World War II interrupted Stapleton's musical career, as he joined the Royal Air Force late in 1939. While enlisted, he played in the RAF Symphony Orchestra.
Following the war, Stapleton played with the London Symphony Orchestra, the National Symphony Orchestra of London, and the Philharmonia Orchestra. In 1947, he recreated his band, and quickly won back slots on the BBC; among the singers he accompanied were Dick James and Frank Sinatra. As leader of the BBC Show Band, Stapleton became a fixture on the English musical scene, broadcast across the nation throughout the mid-1950s. Players in the ensemble who went on to fame in their own right included Bert Weedon, Bill McGuffie, Tommy Whittle, and Matt Monro.
In 1957, the BBC disbanded the Show Band, and Stapleton immediately reassembled his own group. He even managed two chart hits in the United States with the instrumental "The Italian Theme" (#25, 1956) and "The Children's Marching Song (Nick Nack Paddy Whack)" (#13, 1959). The latter record sold one million copies. Stapleton continued to tour and record into the 1970s; in 1965 he also became head of A&R for Pye Records.
Stapleton died in 1974, at the age of 59.Dave Rowberry
David Eric Rowberry (4 July 1940 – 6 June 2003) was an English pianist and organist, most known for being a member of the rock and R&B group The Animals in the 1960s.Mapperley, Derbyshire
Mapperley is a village and civil parish in the Amber Valley district of Derbyshire, England, situated 7 miles (11 km) northeast of Derby and 2 miles (3 km) northwest of Ilkeston. In the 2001 census it had a population of 253, increasing to 289 at the 2011 Census.The village is on a loop off the A609 Nottingham to Belper road. A minor road leading to Shipley was closed by Derbyshire County Council in 2007.The village is inaccessible from the rest of Amber Valley by road.
The facilities in the village include a church, a C of E primary school and a pub.Mapperley Colliery, which was in operation from 1871 until 1965, was formerly a major employer in the area.Mapperley Hall
Mapperley Hall is a country house located at 51 Lucknow Avenue in the Mapperley Park conservation area of Nottingham, England. Built by Ichabod Wright in 1792, it was the home of the Wright family of bankers until the end of the nineteenth century. From about 1900 the building was used as part of the University College Nottingham, the Principal being Professor Amos Henderson, who died in 1922. It was later used for offices and became a Grade II listed building on 12 July 1972. The road to the north of the property is named Mapperley Hall Drive.Mapperley Hospital
Mapperley Hospital is a mental health facility on Porchester Road in Nottingham, England.Nottingham Academy
Nottingham Academy is an academy school located in Nottingham, England. It is an all-through 3-19 school. The school is made up from three predecessor schools, Greenwood Dale 11-19, Elliott Durham 11–16 and The Jesse Boot Primary School 3–11.
The Nottingham Academy was founded in 2009 but formally opened during the year of 2011 when Greenwood Campus had completed construction, becoming the 'largest school in Europe', serving up to 3780 pupils ages 3–19. It is administered by a principal, and each site has a Head of School. The academy is sponsored by the Greenwood Academies Trust (GAT).
In November 2018, Greenwood Academies Trust ruled out a proposal to those attending one of the three Nottingham Academy Campuses. The proposal, to close the Academy and reopen the Academy as two separate schools 'Colwick Park Academy' and 'Mapperley Park Academy'.Nottingham Free School
Nottingham Free School is a co-educational Free School which serves the areas of Sherwood, Carrington, Mapperley Park, Woodthorpe and Mapperley. The school is located in the Courtaulds building on Haydn Road and first opened in September 2014 with an initial intake of 79 Year Seven students, a number which has since grown to ~500 after four subsequent year group intakes. Next September, the school will start its planned sixth form which will intake its first year 12 cohort.Nutbrook Canal
The Nutbrook Canal was a canal in England which ran between Shipley in Derbyshire and the Erewash Canal, joining it near Trowell. It was built to serve the collieries at Shipley and West Hallam, and was completed in 1796. It was initially profitable, but from 1846 faced competition from the railways, and more seriously, subsidence caused by the coal mines that it was built to serve. With the mines failing to pay tolls for goods carried on the canal, and in some cases refusing to accept responsibility for the subsidence, most of it was closed in 1895, although the final 1.5 miles (2.4 km) remained in use until 1949.Richard Hill (footballer, born 1893)
Richard Henry Hill (26 November 1893 – 1971) was an English international footballer who played as a left back.Sharon Gibson
Sharon Angela Gibson (born 31 December 1961 in Mapperley, Nottinghamshire) is a retired English athlete who competed in the women's javelin throw event during her career. She twice represented Great Britain at the Summer Olympics: 1984 and 1988. Gibson, a bronze medal winner at the 1994 Commonwealth Games, was affiliated with the Notts Athletic Club.Sherwood, Nottingham
Sherwood () is a large district and ward of the city of Nottingham, in the English ceremonial county of Nottinghamshire. It is situated approximately 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north of Nottingham city centre. The population of the ward taken at the 2011 census was 15,414. It is bordered by Woodthorpe to the northeast, Mapperley to the east, Carrington to the south, Forest Fields, New Basford and Basford to the west, and Daybrook and Bestwood to the north.St Jude's Church, Mapperley
St Jude's Church is a parish church of the Church of England in Mapperley, Nottinghamshire.Woodthorpe, Nottinghamshire
Woodthorpe is a suburban area of Arnold, Nottinghamshire. It is part of the Borough of Gedling and lies next to the city boundary. It is next to the areas of Mapperley, Daybrook, Sherwood and the main Arnold area.
Woodthorpe is characterized by a variety of different buildings from differentiate eras. Shops are limited and most residents travel to nearby areas of Mapperley, Daybrook or Sherwood for local shopping.. Woodthorpe is also home to one of Nottingham's most popular parks, Woodthorpe Grange Park.
|Areas of Nottingham|
|Boroughs or districts|