Manvers Main Colliery was a coal mine, sunk on land belonging to the Earl Manvers on the northern edge of Wath-upon-Dearne, between that town and Mexborough in the Dearne Valley, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England. The regional headquarters and laboratories of British Coal were situated in the complex.
Manvers was a complex comprising the original sinkings known as "Old Manvers", later sinkings known as "New Manvers" and a coke and by-products plant. The first shaft was sunk in the late-19th century followed by the second shaft, sunk between 1900 and 1901, and later a third shaft was sunk.
The Manvers Main Colliery Company was responsible, in 1911, for sinking two shafts at Barnburgh, a village about two miles north east. The collieries were connected by a private railway.
Between 1920 and 1934, the manager of the coke-oven, washery and brickworks departments at Manvers Main was Cornelius Finn, who during this period (1923–24) was also president of the Coke Oven Managers Association.
On 4 March 1945, an accident caused the death of five underground workers. The cause was an explosion of firedamp ignited by sparks from a damaged trailing cable.
Immediately before nationalisation, Manvers was owned by Manvers Main Collieries Ltd. The coke ovens and coal by-products plant were closed in 1981. With rationalisation in the South Yorkshire coalfield, from 1950 to 1956, Manvers became the centre of coal output from the collieries known as the South Manvers complex that were linked below ground. They were Wath Main, Barnburgh Colliery and Kilnhurst. Each colliery retained its individual identity but the coal was wound to the surface at Manvers; this was done to protect the loyalties and friendships of the local pitworkers at each mine. The colliery complex was closed on 25 March 1988.
The site remained derelict until the mid-1990s, when Rotherham Council started a regeneration programme with funding from the European Regional Development Fund and Derelict Land Grants. Manvers, Wath Main Colliery and the Wath railway marshalling yard were demolished, cleared of contamination and landscaped. A nature reserve managed by the RSPB Old Moor Wetland Centre RSPB reserve containing the 45 acre Manvers Lake was created and the rest of the site was developed for light industry and commerce with call centres for companies such as Ventura (bought out by CAPITA in 2011; CAPITA fully took over on 1 January 2012), TSC, T-Mobile and others occupying purpose-built units. The site contains the area's largest area of private employment. It was the location of the nursing campus of the University of Sheffield and is now home to the Dearne Valley College [DVC]. A 9-hole golf course and driving range, hotel, restaurants and residential home were built after plans for a multiplex cinema was objected to by Barnsley Council.
In 2008 the British Canoe Union took a 250-year lease on Manvers Lake. A boat house complex with a cafe, slipway and parking was completed in 2010. With Sport England assistance an annex was added in 2015. The multi-sport club, Manvers Waterfront Boat Club, established in the boat house has 800 members who take part in canoeing, kayaking, triathlon, running, cycling, angling, dragon boating and model boating. In 2016 management of the boathouse, lake and public areas were vested in The Manvers Lake and Dearne Valley Trurt, a registered charity.
Several distribution and warehousing centres dominate the area. Maplin Electronics and Next are two of the companies located here, Maplin after moving from Wombwell, two miles away. In 2015 an incinerator complex was completed on the eastern edge of the site.
Construction of housing developments around the lake at Manvers begun in 2009 were completed in 2015 comprising than 300 homes consisting of apartments and houses. Retail outlets, a health centre and restaurants were completed in 2016 to add to the Blue Bell public house already on the site.
The New Year Honours 1955 were appointments in many of the Commonwealth realms of Queen Elizabeth II to various orders and honours to reward and highlight good works by citizens of those countries. They were announced on 1 January 1955 to celebrate the year passed and mark the beginning of 1955.The recipients of honours are displayed here as they were styled before their new honour, and arranged by honour, with classes (Knight, Knight Grand Cross, etc.) and then divisions (Military, Civil, etc.) as appropriate.A6195 road
The A6195 road runs through the Dearne Valley in South Yorkshire.Barnburgh Main Colliery
Barnburgh Main Colliery was a coal mine situated on the outskirts of the village of Barnburgh, about two miles north of Mexborough in the Dearne Valley, South Yorkshire, England.
The sinking of the colliery was commenced in 1911 by the Manvers Main Colliery Company of Wath-upon-Dearne.The sinking reached the Barnsley seam in 1914 and later the Parkgate seam was reached. The colliery was adjacent to the Dearne Valley Railway to which it was connected but in 1924 a private line was constructed between Barnburgh and the Manvers complex.On 24 April 1942, the mine suffered a collapse in the Park Gate coal seam. Miners reported that the floor rose up towards the ceiling. Geologists put forward the theory that the downward pressure caused the floor to be forced upwards. 18 miners were sealed in and despite frantic rescue efforts, four men died. The last two bodies were located and removed from the pit on 30 April 1942 some six days after the disaster.In 1947 Barnburgh was, as with other mines, nationalized, becoming part of the National Coal Board.
On 26 June 1957 an explosion at the colliery caused the death of 6 underground workers and severe burning to 14 others. The explosion was caused by firedamp ignited by a 'flash' from a damaged cable.The colliery was closed on 16 June 1989.British Rail Class 04
The British Rail Class 04 was a 0-6-0 diesel-mechanical shunting locomotive class, built between 1952 and 1962 and was the basis for the later Class 03 built in the British Railways workshops. However, the first locomotive to be built to the design was actually DS1173, in 1948, which served as a departmental shunter at Hither Green depot, before being transferred to the capital stock list as D2341 in 1967. The Class 04 locomotives were supplied by the Drewry Car Co., which at the time (and for most of its existence) had no manufacturing capability. Drewry sub-contracted the construction work to two builders both of whom built other locomotives under the same arrangement. Early locomotives (including DS1173) were built by Vulcan Foundry and later examples were built by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns.Dearne and Dove Canal
The Dearne and Dove Canal ran for almost ten miles through South Yorkshire, England from Swinton to Barnsley through nineteen locks, rising 127 feet (39 m). The canal also had two short branches, the Worsbrough branch and the Elsecar branch, both about two miles long with reservoirs at the head of each. The Elsecar branch also has another six locks. The only tunnel was bypassed by a cutting in 1840.The canal was created mainly to carry cargo from the extensive coal mining industry in the area. Other cargo included pig iron, glass, lime, oil products and general merchandise. A combination of railway competition and subsidence caused by the same mines it served forced the canal into a gradual decline, closing completely in 1961. As the local coal industry also collapsed in the 1980s the canal was thrown a lifeline with the forming of the Barnsley Canal Group who are now attempting to restore the whole canal, an effort further boosted by the abandonment of the railway which replaced it.Denaby Main
Denaby Main is a village situated between Mexborough and Conisbrough in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, England. The village falls within the Doncaster MBC ward of Conisbrough and Denaby. It was built by the Denaby Main Colliery Company to house its workers and their families, and originally given the name Denaby Main Colliery Village, to distinguish it from the village of Denaby, about ⅔ mile away on the road to Hooton Roberts and Kilnhurst; from that time, the old village became known as Old Denaby. In due course the "Colliery Village" part of the name was lost, leaving the village to be known as Denaby Main.Hull and South Yorkshire Extension Railway
The Hull and South Yorkshire Extension Railway was incorporated on 6 August 1897 and on 25 July 1898 was transferred to the Hull and Barnsley Railway.
The bill was deposited by a group of local coal owners representing the Manvers Main Colliery Company, Hickleton Main Colliery, Wath Main Colliery, Wharncliffe Silkstone Colliery together with representatives of the Hull and Barnsley Railway.Jack Edwards (footballer, born 1921)
Jack Edwards was a footballer who played in the Football League for Rotherham United and guested for Stoke CityKilnhurst Colliery
Kilnhurst Colliery, formerly known as either Thrybergh or Thrybergh Hall Colliery, was situated on the southern side of the village of Kilnhurst, near Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England.
The earliest colliery on the site, known as Thrybergh or Thrybergh Hall Colliery, worked the Barnsley seam from 1858, and was the site of a serious accident in 1863. The brickworks, along with the local pottery, was served by a branch of the South Yorkshire Railway from 1850, this becoming a through line linking Sheffield and Doncaster from 1864. From its sinking this line also served the colliery. The railway junction from the main line was known as Thrybergh Colliery Junction until the early days of the 20th century when the line to Thrybergh (Silverwood Colliery) was opened and the old signal box replaced.
The colliery was connected underground with two other mining operations, Warren Vale Colliery and Warren House Colliery.
A standard gauge railway line connected Kilnhurst Colliery to Warren Vale, a continuance of the line which served Kilnhurst brickworks.
Through its lifetime the colliery had three owners. First came Wakefield-based J. & J. Charlesworth who developed the workings with the opening of the Swallow Wood seam in 1917 and prepared the way for extraction from the Parkgate seam which came on stream in 1923, the year when Charlesworth’s were succeeded by Glasgow-based steel and coal company Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. Under their ownership, in 1929, the Silkstone seam was opened up. Sheffield steelmakers and Clyde shipbuilders John Brown & Company was a sub-lessee of Stewart and Lloyds and this continued following the sale to the Tinsley Park Colliery Company on 28 April 1936. The colliery was sold, included the adjoining brickworks and a house, for the sum of £310,000. The sinking of a new, No.4 shaft was undertaken between 1937 and 1939.
Following the Second World War, in 1945, the colliery was in the ownership of the Manvers Main Colliery Company, based in Wath-upon-Dearne. From nationalisation the colliery came under the ownership of the National Coal Board.
With a rationalisation of outlets in the South Yorkshire coalfield Kilnhurst was merged into the South Manvers complex. The work, which took place between 1950 and 1956, saw the end of coal winding at Kilnhurst, all coal being transported underground to Manvers where it was drawn to the surface. The colliery closed in 1989.
In the 1980s the lads used to sing and play mouth organs on the paddy mail. The songs were all made up about the characters who worked down the pit.Manvers (disambiguation)
Manvers is a suburb of Wath-upon-Dearne in South Yorkshire, England. Manvers may also refer to
Manvers Main Colliery, a former coal mine on the northern edge of Wath-upon-Dearne, England
Manvers Township in Ontario, Canada
Earl Manvers, a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom
Lucy Manvers, leading character in the 2009 British TV drama The UnlovedMaplin (retailer)
Maplin Electronics is an online retailer of electronic goods in the United Kingdom and Ireland. In June 2017, there were 217 Maplin stores. The company also operated an extensive online, telephone and mail order service. On 28 February 2018, Maplin went into administration, placing 2,500 jobs at risk, and on 25 June 2018, all Maplin stores ceased trading.The Maplin brand was purchased and relaunched under Maplin Online Ltd in June 2018. On 26 October, this was publicly announced on Twitter. On 30 January 2019, Maplin relaunched their website.Mexborough and Swinton Traction Company
The Mexborough and Swinton Traction Company was the name adopted by the Mexborough & Swinton Tramways Company in 1929 following the introduction of trolleybuses on all its routes. It operated in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, over routes serving Manvers Main Colliery, Wath upon Dearne and the towns of Rotherham, Rawmarsh, Swinton, Mexborough, Conisbrough and the estate at Conanby.
The first opening took place in 1907 and was owned by the National Electric Construction Co., becoming part of the British Electric Traction Group in 1931.Mexborough and Swinton Tramway
The Mexborough & Swinton Tramways Company was a tramway system in South Yorkshire, England, founded in 1902 and which began services in 1907 linking Rotherham with the Old Toll Bar, Mexborough. Its routes served Manvers Main Colliery, Wath upon Dearne and the towns of Rotherham, Rawmarsh, Swinton and Mexborough.North Midland Railway
The North Midland Railway was a British railway company, which opened its line from Derby to Rotherham (Masbrough) and Leeds in 1840.At Derby, it connected with the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway and the Midland Counties Railway at what became known as the Tri Junct Station. In 1844, the three companies merged to form the Midland Railway.Rolling stock of the Mid-Norfolk Railway
The Mid-Norfolk Railway has a large collection of heritage rolling stock.Wath Main Colliery
Wath Main Colliery was a coal mine situated in the Dearne Valley, close by the township of Wath-upon-Dearne, South Yorkshire, England. The colliery was operated by the Wath Main Coal Company Limited.
Sinking of the first of its two shafts began in 1873, the workings reaching the highly prized Barnsley seam three years later. To gain access to lower reserves the shafts were deepened, first in 1912 to reach the Parkgate seam and then, in 1923, to the Silkstone seam.
The colliery became part of the National Coal Board on nationalization in 1947 and it was amalgamated, along with other local collieries, with the adjacent Manvers Main Colliery on 1 January 1986. Closure came on 25 March 1988.
The site has been reclaimed and now contains Wath Country Park, which in May 2007 was sold off to developers to form a new housing development. The park lasted just 10 years.Yorkshire and the Humber
Yorkshire and the Humber is one of nine official regions of England at the first level of NUTS for statistical purposes. It comprises most of Yorkshire (the administrative areas of South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, Hull, North Yorkshire and the City of York), as well as North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. It does not include Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland or other areas of the historic county of Yorkshire, such as Sedbergh not included in the aforementioned administrative areas. The largest settlements are, Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, Hull, and York. The population in 2011 was 5,284,000.The committees for the regions, including the one for Yorkshire and the Humber, ceased to exist upon the dissolution of Parliament on 12 April 2010; they were not re-established by the newly elected House. Regional ministers were not reappointed by the incoming Coalition Government, and the Government Offices were abolished in 2011.