Manvers is a suburb of Wath upon Dearne in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham in South Yorkshire, England. It lies across the border with the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster, whilst Mexborough is part of Doncaster. It is situated between Mexborough and Wath upon Dearne, not far from Swinton.
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
The 2011 Rushcliffe Borough Council election took place on 5 May 2011 to elect members of Rushcliffe Borough Council in Nottinghamshire, England. The whole council was up for election.Birley Spa
Birley Spa is a community bath hall and a Victorian bathhouse in the Hackenthorpe district of the City of Sheffield, England. It was built for Charles Herbert Pierrepont, 2nd Earl Manvers and the Lord of the Manor of Beighton in 1842, and initially was a hotel with spa baths beneath. Subsequently, it was used for many years as private dwellings. In the 1973 it was given Grade II listed building status.
During the mid 1800s a committee was created consisting of Thomas Staniforth from the Thomas Staniforth & Co Sickle works, Edward Hobson, George Cox of Beighton and John Tillotson, schoolmaster of Beighton. A man named George Eadon was selected from eleven applicants who applied for the post of manager of the 'Bath Hotel', and was paid a salary of twenty pounds and was provided free rent and coal.. Subsequently, it was used for many years as private dwellings. In 1973 it was given Grade II listed building status.By 1895 the baths were failing to make a profit and only a single plunge bath remained in use, it appears the hotel itself was closed around 1878 and it is believed that the Earl Manvers removed the marble from the building himself for personal use.
Around 1895 John Platts was the proprietor of the property, he was a well known gardener and a farmer.
By the time of the 1920s and 30s, the grounds of the bath house were transformed into a playground for children. Mr Moulson and William Amith were the proprietors at this time. The grounds featured a wishing well, a sand pit, swing boats, a paddling pool and the large lake behind the house was used for boating and fishing. There was also a 'wonder tree' in the wooded area beside the house, which was a large oak tree said to be over 1,000 years old. When the Second World War began in 1939, the grounds were closed.The grounds was transferred to Sheffield Corporation in the 1950s, and in the early 2000s it became part of the Shire Brook Valley Local Nature Reserve.The building was restored in 2000/2001 and for a time was open for tours by the public, but this has recently ceased.In June 2018 renewed interest was brought to Birley Spa due to its neglect, and a Friends of Birley Spa group was formed.Charles Pierrepont, 1st Earl Manvers
Charles (Medows) Pierrepont, 1st Earl Manvers (4 November 1737 – 17 June 1816) was a British naval officer and politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1778 to 1796 when he was raised to the peerage as Viscount Newark.Charles Pierrepont, 2nd Earl Manvers
Charles Herbert Pierrepont, 2nd Earl Manvers (11 August 1778 – 27 October 1860) was an English nobleman and naval officer, the second son of Charles Pierrepont, 1st Earl Manvers.Charles Pierrepont, 4th Earl Manvers
Charles William Sydney Pierrepont, 4th Earl Manvers, VD (2 August 1854 – 17 July 1926), known as Viscount Newark from 1860 to 1900, was a British nobleman and Conservative Party politician.Dearne Valley College
Dearne Valley College is a further education college situated in the Manvers Park area of Wath-upon-Dearne, in the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England. It also has a campus near Wath-upon-Dearne town centre.
In September 2017 the college merged with the RNN Group. The college joined Rotherham College and North Nottinghamshire College as part of the group, but continues to retain its local identity and current campus based in Manvers.Durham County, Ontario
Durham County (area 376,397 acres (1,523 km2)) is a historic county in Ontario, Canada. It was named from the English County Durham and city of Durham.
Durham County was created in 1792. It was composed of the townships of Cartwright, Manvers, Cavan, Darlington, Clarke and Hope, and portions of what is now Peterborough County, created in 1838. It was united administratively with Northumberland County as the United Counties of Northumberland and Durham from 1850 until Durham County was dissolved on January 1, 1974.
Effective January 1, 1974, about half of Durham County was merged with Ontario County to create the Regional Municipality of Durham. The township of Manvers was transferred to Victoria County, which is now the city of Kawartha Lakes, Cavan was transferred to Peterborough County, where it is now part of Cavan-Monaghan, and Hope was transferred to Northumberland County, where it is now part of the town of Port Hope.
The townships of Darlington and Clarke were amalgamated with the Town of Bowmanville and the Village of Newcastle as the Town of Newcastle, and the township of Cartwright was combined with the Ontario County townships of Scugog and Reach to create a new Township of Scugog. In 1993, Newcastle was renamed Clarington.Durham—Northumberland
Durham—Northumberland is a former federal electoral district represented in the House of Commons of Canada from 1979 to 1988. It was located in the province of Ontario. This riding was created in 1976 from parts of Northumberland—Durham and Ontario ridings.
It consisted of:
in the Regional Municipality of Durham: the Township of Scugog and the Town of Newcastle;
in the County of Northumberland: the Township of Hope, the Town of Cobourg, and the part of the Township of Hamilton lying west of the Town of Cobourg and south of Highway 401;
in the County of Peterborough: the Township of Cavan; and
in the County of Victoria: the Township of Manvers.The electoral district was abolished in 1987 when it was redistributed between Durham and Victoria—Haliburton ridings.Earl Manvers
Earl Manvers was a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1806 for Charles Medows Pierrepont, 1st Viscount Newark. He had already been created Baron Pierrepont, of Holme Pierrepont in the County of Nottingham, and Viscount Newark, of Newark-on-Trent in the County of Nottingham, in 1796. Both these titles were in the Peerage of Great Britain. Born Charles Medows, he was the second son of Philip Medows, Deputy Ranger of Richmond Park, by Lady Frances Pierrepont, daughter of William Pierrepont, Earl of Kingston (1692–1713), eldest son and heir apparent of Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull.
In 1788 Charles Medows had succeeded to the Pierrepont estates on the death of the second Duke's wife, and assumed the same year by Royal sign manual the surname of Pierrepont in lieu of Medows. Manvers's eldest son Evelyn Pierrepont predeceased him and he was succeeded by his second son Charles, the second Earl. He was a naval commander and Member of Parliament. He was succeeded by his second and only surviving son, Sydney, the third Earl. He represented Nottinghamshire South in Parliament. He was succeeded by his eldest son, Charles, the fourth Earl. He sat as Conservative Member of Parliament for Newark. On his death the titles passed to his only son Evelyn, the fifth Earl. He suffered a mental breakdown at the age of 17 and never married.
The fifth Earl was succeeded by his cousin Gervas Pierrepont, the sixth and last Earl. He was the only son of the Hon Evelyn Henry Pierrepont (1856–1926), second son of the third Earl. The sixth Earl's only son died as a child and the Earldom and subsidiary titles became extinct on the Earl's death in 1955.
Other members of the family may also be mentioned. Edward Medows (died 1813), brother of the first Earl, was a Captain in the Royal Navy. Sir William Medows, brother of the first Earl, was a General in the British Army. The Honourable Henry Pierrepont, third son of the first Earl, was a diplomat.
The ancestral seat of the Earls Manvers was Thoresby Hall, near Ollerton, Nottinghamshire. The hall itself, built in the 1860s by the third Earl to the designs of Anthony Salvin was the 3rd building on the site replacing a smaller Georgian house which in turn had replaced a large Baroque house designed by Talman which had burned down. It remained the home of the last Countess Manvers until her death aged 95 in 1984 and was subsequently sold by the family and is now a hotel and conference venue. The Thoresby wider agricultural and forestry estate remains with the descendents of the Pierreponts and they have built a new Country House elsewhere on the Estate.
A comprehensive school named after him – Manvers Pierrepont Comprehensive, Carlton Road, Nottingham. The school site still exists but rationalisation transformed it to a College of Further Education.Gervas Pierrepont, 6th Earl Manvers
Gervas Evelyn Pierrepont, 6th Earl Manvers, MC, JP (15 April 1881 – 13 February 1955), known as Gervas Pierrepont until 1940, was a British nobleman, soldier, landowner and member of the House of Lords.Henry Pierrepont (diplomat)
Henry Manvers Pierrepont (18 March 1780 – 10 November 1851) was an English diplomat. He served as Envoy to the Court of Sweden from 1804 to 1807.Kathleen Lindsay
Kathleen Mary Lindsay (1903-1973), was an English author of romance novels. For some years she held the record as the most prolific novelist in history. According to the Guinness Book of World Records (1986 edition, where they refer to her as "Mary Faulkner"), she wrote 904 books under eleven pseudonyms. This record has since been surpassed.Lord Henry Percy
General Lord Henry Hugh Manvers Percy, (22 August 1817 – 3 December 1877) was a British Army officer and a recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces. Outside his military career he was briefly a Conservative Member of Parliament.Manvers Main Colliery
Manvers Main Colliery was a coal mine, sunk on land belonging to the Earl Manvers on the northern edge of Wath-upon-Dearne, between that town and Mexborough in the Dearne Valley, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England. The regional headquarters and laboratories of British Coal were situated in the complex.
Manvers was a complex comprising the original sinkings known as "Old Manvers", later sinkings known as "New Manvers" and a coke and by-products plant. The first shaft was sunk in the late-19th century followed by the second shaft, sunk between 1900 and 1901, and later a third shaft was sunk.
The Manvers Main Colliery Company was responsible, in 1911, for sinking two shafts at Barnburgh, a village about two miles north east. The collieries were connected by a private railway.
Between 1920 and 1934, the manager of the coke-oven, washery and brickworks departments at Manvers Main was Cornelius Finn, who during this period (1923–24) was also president of the Coke Oven Managers Association.On 4 March 1945, an accident caused the death of five underground workers. The cause was an explosion of firedamp ignited by sparks from a damaged trailing cable.
Immediately before nationalisation, Manvers was owned by Manvers Main Collieries Ltd. The coke ovens and coal by-products plant were closed in 1981. With rationalisation in the South Yorkshire coalfield, from 1950 to 1956, Manvers became the centre of coal output from the collieries known as the South Manvers complex that were linked below ground. They were Wath Main, Barnburgh Colliery and Kilnhurst. Each colliery retained its individual identity but the coal was wound to the surface at Manvers; this was done to protect the loyalties and friendships of the local pitworkers at each mine. The colliery complex was closed on 25 March 1988.Manvers Township
The Township of Manvers (area 69,923 acres (283 km2)) was a municipality in the former Victoria County, now the city of Kawartha Lakes, in the Canadian province of Ontario.Mexborough and Swinton Traction Company
The Mexborough and Swinton Traction Company was the name adopted by the Mexborough & Swinton Tramways Company in 1929 following the introduction of trolleybuses on all its routes. It operated in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, over routes serving Manvers Main Colliery, Wath upon Dearne and the towns of Rotherham, Rawmarsh, Swinton, Mexborough, Conisbrough and the estate at Conanby.
The first opening took place in 1907 and was owned by the National Electric Construction Co., becoming part of the British Electric Traction Group in 1931.Mexborough and Swinton Tramway
The Mexborough & Swinton Tramways Company was a tramway system in South Yorkshire, England, founded in 1902 and which began services in 1907 linking Rotherham with the Old Toll Bar, Mexborough. Its routes served Manvers Main Colliery, Wath upon Dearne and the towns of Rotherham, Rawmarsh, Swinton and Mexborough.Molly Windsor
Molly Windsor (born 19 June 1997) is an English actress. She is known for her roles in the 2009 Channel 4 television film The Unloved, and the 2017 BBC miniseries Three Girls, for which she won the 2018 BAFTA TV Award for Best Actress. Windsor was named as BAFTA Breakthrough Brit, one of the 20 members from the film, television, and gaming industries, in 2017.Sydney Pierrepont, 3rd Earl Manvers
Sydney William Herbert Pierrepont, 3rd Earl Manvers (12 March 1826 – 16 January 1900) was a British nobleman and politician.
Born at Holme Pierrepont, he was the second surviving son of Charles Pierrepont, 2nd Earl Manvers. Educated at Eton, Pierrepont entered Christ Church, Oxford in 1843 and received his BA in 1846. While attending there, he was commissioned a first lieutenant in the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Cavalry (Sherwood Rangers) in 1844.Pierrepont was styled Viscount Newark after the death of his elder brother in 1850. In 1851, he was commissioned a captain in the South Nottinghamshire Yeomanry Cavalry, and in 1852, was elected unopposed as Conservative Member of Parliament for South Nottinghamshire. He was named a deputy lieutenant of Nottinghamshire in 1854. Newark continued to sit for South Nottinghamshire until 1860, when he succeeded his father as Earl Manvers. He was appointed lieutenant-colonel commandant of his Yeomanry regiment in 1868, and honorary colonel of the regiment in 1879.