Manotick is a community in Rideau-Goulbourn Ward in the rural south part of the City of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It is a suburb of the city, located on the Rideau River, immediately south of the suburbs Barrhaven and Riverside South, about 25 km (16 mi) from downtown Ottawa. It was founded by Moss Kent Dickinson in 1864. He named the village 'Manotick', after the Algonquin word for 'island'. It has been part of the City of Ottawa since amalgamation in 2001. Prior to that, it was located in Rideau Township. According to the Canada 2016 Census, Manotick had a population of 4,486.
Location in Ottawa
|Incorporated||1903 (Police Village of Manotick)|
|Amalgamation||1974 (Township of Rideau) |
2001 (City of Ottawa)
|• Mayor||Jim Watson|
|• MPs||Pierre Poilievre|
|• MPPs||Goldie Ghamari|
|• Councillors||Scott Moffatt|
|• Total||6.70 km2 (2.59 sq mi)|
|Elevation||95 m (312 ft)|
|• Density||669.4/km2 (1,734/sq mi)|
|Canada 2016 Census|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
The village of Long Island Locks was first settled in 1833. In the 1830s, a small settlement formed in the area of the newly constructed Long Island locks on the Rideau Canal, but there was no development in the area of present-day Manotick. A post office was established in 1854.
In 1859, when a bulkhead was constructed across the west branch of the Rideau River, entrepreneur Moss Kent Dickinson and his partner Joseph Merrill Currier obtained the water rights and constructed a stone mill, on the shores of the Rideau River. The flour mill, as well as a carding mill, sawmill and a bung factory, also built by Dickinson, helped spur the development of the settlement. The flour mill was purchased in 1946 by Harry Watson and renamed Watson's Mill. It survives today as a working museum with an operational grist mill.
M. K. Dickinson, Esq., established the Long Island Flouring Mills in 1860, which had the capacity of grinding one hundred barrels of flour per diem; the buildings were substantially built of stone. The saw mill, built by M. K. Dickinson, Esq., employed twelve men, and turned out about two million feet of sawn lumber per annum.
Dickinson House, built in 1863, was the first major building in Manotick. It served as a general store, bank, post office, and telegraph office. The Dickinson, Spratt, and Watson families, who owned/operated Watson’s Mill, used the house as their residence from 1870 to 1972. The house is currently furnished to give visitors an interpretation of what the space was like when the Dickinson family was in residence. It is included amongst other architecturally interesting and historically significant buildings in Doors Open Ottawa, alongside Watson's Mill. Open Doors Ottawa sometimes coincides with Dickinson Days, which is Manotick’s annual festival celebrating the Founder of the village.
By 1866, Long Island Locks was a post village with a population of 100 of the township of Gloucester, on the Rideau canal, seven miles from Gloucester station, on the Ottawa and Prescott railway, and 15 miles from Ottawa. The village contained two general stores, and a number of mechanics. There were two church buildings here, one occupied alternately by the Presbyterian congregation and the English Church, and the other by the Wesleyan Methodists.
By 1866, Manotick was a post village with a population of 100 of the township of North Gower, on the Rideau river, five miles from Kelly's station on the Ottawa and Prescott Railway, and 17 miles from Ottawa. There was excellent water-power supplied by the Rideau canal. Mails tri-weekly. The Loyal Orange Lodge, No. 477, mets in Orange Hall, in Manotick village, on the first Friday in each month.
The original St. James Anglican Church was built of wood in a Norman style in 1876, on land donated by Moss Kent Dickinson. When a larger church was built in 1985, the original style and appearance, including a Norman tower, the original stained glass windows, plaques and much of the other furnishings were maintained. The church was included amongst other architecturally interesting and historically significant buildings in Doors Open Ottawa, held June 2 and 3, 2012.
Manotick was host to a Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) experimental ionospheric laboratory often referred to as the RPL, or the Radio Propagation Laboratory . It was located on the Prescott Highway.
The RPL evolved from Section 6 of the Operational Intelligence Centre (OIC/6) of the RCN during WW II. It originally occupied small huts on the Prescott Highway, which, in the years 1944-47 housed a naval High Frequency radio station, operating under the call sign CFF. The station received and transmitted messages between Naval Service Headquarters, Allied Authorities, ships at sea, and frequently intercepted enemy transmissions. A name plate now marks the site, which is located south of the Experimental Farm's (Ottawa) arboretum, between the Rideau Canal and the Prescott Highway.
SunTech Greenhouses LTD, a Hydroponic Greenhouse covering 2.3 acres was constructed in 1999 on a ninety acre lot. An additional twelve thousand square feet was added in the spring of 2001, bringing the greenhouse acreage to 2.5 acres. Since then, the infrastructure was increased by 1.5 acres in 2012, bringing the total greenhouse surface to 4 acres.
As commercial traffic on the Rideau became less important, the population in the village declined. The population in the village rebounded as Manotick came to be viewed by some as a bedroom community for Ottawa, joining the City of Ottawa in 2001.
With perceived overdevelopment of housing in south Ottawa, including the rapid growth of Barrhaven, Manotick strives to maintain its character and property values by carefully managing growth and working closely with developers. .
On the first Friday and Saturday of June, the people of Manotick congregate in the heart of Manotick around Dickinson Square to celebrate Dickinson Days. The festival is named after Moss Kent Dickinson, who operated Watson's Mill (then as Long Island Flouring Mill) and was responsible for founding Manotick. This spring festival, organized by local organizations such as the Kiwanis Club, the BIA, and Watson’s Mill, usually includes activities such as a parade, pancake breakfast, arts and crafts sales, wagon rides, music, dance and drama performances. The celebration coincides with "Pioneer Days", organized by the staff and volunteers of Watson's Mill.
Dickinson Days usually coincides with Doors Open Ottawa, where many local buildings, such as churches and government buildings, are open to the public for one day a year.
Watson's Mill is Manotick's most recognized landmark. Its image is used as a symbol for the village. It is the only working museum in the Ottawa area and one of very few operating industrial grist mills in North America. Indeed, Watson's Mill still sells stone-ground whole wheat flour which is made on site.
Moss Kent Dickinson and Joseph Merrill Currier founded the mill as the Long Island Flouring Mills in 1860. It was one of a series of mills constructed in the area using power from the Rideau Canal. It earned its current name when it was purchased by Harry Watson in 1946. Watson was the last owner to operate the mill at an industrial level. When the Rideau Valley Conservation Authority bought the mill in 1972, it was developed into a museum.
The mill is also well known for its ghost story. The legend is that Ann Currier, wife of Joseph Currier, haunts the mill, following her death in a tragic accident there in 1861.
Watson's Mill is open to the public during the summer months and hosts a variety of events, including milling demonstrations every Sunday.
In 2007, Minto Developments Inc. sought approval to construct a community of approximately 1800 new homes in Manotick. The number was later revised to 1400 in early 2008 through the Development Concept Plan process with the city of Ottawa and numerous public meetings and consultations with residents. The project drew concerns by residents in the area. In the opinion of some local residents, the Minto proposal went against the spirit and letter of the pre-existing Manotick's Secondary Plan. The Secondary Plan for the Village of Manotick was adopted by the City of Ottawa at amalgamation in 2001, providing for growth of only 250 houses by 2020. Residents cited that the project would double Manotick's population and that the current services and infrastructure will be insufficient to handle the population explosion. Some residents were also concerned that Manotick will lose its "small town" character. Villagers want future development direction to be decided by residents and their elected officials, not developers.
On April 24, 2007, the West Manotick Community Association (WMCA) organized a town hall meeting to discuss the issue of Minto's proposed development at the Manotick Arena. The event drew over 2000 citizens concerned about preserving the rural character and scale of Manotick and to ensure any future planning accounts for the rural nature of the village. During 2007 and 2008, the City of Ottawa, the WMCA and Minto all hosted several formal and informal public meetings to demonstrate changes and evolutions to the proposed Development Concept Plans and to encourage public debate. Changes to the plan were made by the developer through the process.
In 2008, the Ottawa City Council rejected Minto's proposed development, stating that Minto's plan did not comply with the City's Official Plan for Manotick, nor its Secondary Plan. Additionally, the City claimed that the proposed development did not match the village's "rural character". Minto appealed the council's decision, sending the matter to the Ontario Municipal Board ("OMB") in a seven-week hearing that ended in late January 2009. The OMB overruled the Ottawa City Council in a "controversial" decision to approve Minto's plans. The City of Ottawa requested a Leave to Appeal the OMB decision, with a hearing that took place on June 25, 2009.
Ultimately, extensive cooperation between Minto and the community resulted in an approved plan for the development, and the construction now is long underway.
CFGO is a Canadian radio station, which broadcasts at 1200 on the AM dial in Ottawa, Ontario. The station broadcasts sports programming, using the brand name TSN 1200 Ottawa. CFGO is a Class B station operating on the clear-channel frequency of 1200 kHz, operating from a 6-tower transmitter array near Manotick, with studios located in the Bell Media Building on George Street in Downtown Ottawa's ByWard Market.CFRA
CFRA is a talk radio station in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, owned by Bell Media. The station broadcasts at 580 kHz. CFRA's studios are located in the Bell Media Building on George Street in the ByWard Market, while its 4-tower transmitter array is located near Manotick.Craig Savill
Craig Edward Savill (born October 25, 1978) is a Canadian curler from Manotick, Ontario, Canada.Gloucester, Ontario
Gloucester is a suburb of and within the City of Ottawa. Gloucester Township was established in 1792 and originally included lands east of the Rideau River from the Ottawa River south to Manotick. It was incorporated as a township in 1850 and became a city in 1981. Gloucester was one of the 11 municipalities that merged in 2001 to form the new city of Ottawa. As of the Canada 2016 Census, the former city of Gloucester had a population of 133,280.
Gloucester took its name from Prince William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh.Jamie Sinclair
Jamie Ann Sinclair (born February 21, 1992) is an American-Canadian curler from Manotick, Ontario and is the current U.S. National Champion. Her United States Curling Association membership is through the Charlotte Curling Association in Charlotte, North Carolina where she has a number of personal connections. She grew up in Manotick, Ontario, a suburb of Ottawa.Joseph Merrill Currier
Joseph Merrill Currier (1820 – April 22, 1884) was a Canadian member of parliament and businessman.
He was born in North Troy, Vermont in 1820 and moved to Canada in 1837, where he began work in the timber trade. In the late 1850s and early 1860s, he set up a sawmill and gristmill operation at Manotick, Ontario with Moss Kent Dickinson. He also operated his own lumber business in New Edinburgh from 1853 to the late 1860s and was a partner in the Wright, Batson and Currier Company with Alonzo Wright which operated a saw mill at Hull, Quebec. In 1868, Currier built a house at 24 Sussex Drive, for his third wife Hannah Wright (granddaughter of Philemon Wright), which is now used as the official residence for the Prime Minister of Canada. Currier named the house Gorffwysfa, Welsh for place of rest.
Currier became a member of the city council for Ottawa in the 1860s. In 1863, he was elected as a representative for Ottawa in the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada. He supported Confederation and continued to represent Ottawa in the Parliament of Canada until 1882. During that period, he was forced to resign on April 16, 1877 because his firms had done business with the government of Canada; he was re-elected in a by-election on May 9, 1877.
From 1872 to 1877, he was president of the Citizen Printing and Publishing Company which produced the Ottawa Daily Citizen. He also was president of two railway companies in the Ottawa area, the Ottawa and Gatineau Valley Railway and the Ontario and Quebec Railway. He was also connected with many other companies in the construction, banking and insurance industries. He began encountering financial problems in the 1870s and, in 1878, when the saw mill in Hull burned, he was bankrupt.
He was appointed postmaster of Ottawa in May 1882. He died in 1884 in New York City and is buried in Beechwood Cemetery.
Currier had three wives: Christina Wilson whom he married in 1846 and who died in 1858; Ann Elizabeth Crosby; and Hannah Wright, daughter of Ruggles Wright, whom he married in 1868. He married his second wife in January 1861 and brought her to Manotick a month later. While viewing the machinery in the mill, Ann's dress became caught in a shaft and she was thrown against a wooden post. She died instantly from the impact to her head. Currier is said to have never visited Manotick again and he cut his ties to the business there in 1863, selling his shares of the mill to Dickinson. According to local legend, Ann's ghost continues to haunt Watson's Mill in Manotick.List of neighbourhoods in Ottawa
This is a list of neighbourhoods and outlying communities within the City of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
In 2001, the old city of Ottawa was amalgamated with the suburbs of Nepean, Kanata, Gloucester, Rockcliffe Park, Vanier and Cumberland, and the rural townships of West Carleton, Osgoode, Rideau and Goulbourn, along with the systems and infrastructure of the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton, to become one municipality. The city is now organized into 23 wards.Media in Ottawa–Gatineau
The following media outlets are located in Canada's National Capital Region, serving the cities of Ottawa, Ontario and Gatineau, Quebec. The two cities, which are adjacent and each receive virtually all television and radio stations operating in either city, are considered a single media market.
Most of the region's FM and TV stations, regardless of which community they are officially licensed to, transmitted from Camp Fortune in the Gatineau Hills. Other TV stations transmit from a tower located in Manotick, in the rural south portion of Ottawa. Ryan Tower, the former transmitter tower at Camp Fortune, was taken down on November 4, 2012 and its services and some antenna elements were transferred to a new, nearby tower.In addition to the market's local media services, Ottawa is also home to several national media operations, including CPAC (Canada's national legislature broadcaster), the digital political newspaper iPolitics, and the parliamentary bureau staff of all of Canada's major newsgathering organizations in television, radio and print. The city is also home to the head office of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, although it is not the primary production location of most CBC radio or television programming.Moss Kent Dickinson
Moss Kent Dickinson (June 1, 1822 – July 19, 1897) was a Canadian businessman, mayor of Ottawa from 1864 to 1866, member of the Canadian Parliament from 1882 to 1887 and the founder of Manotick.North Gower
North Gower () is a small village in eastern Ontario, originally part of North Gower Township, now part of the city of Ottawa. Surrounding communities include Richmond, Kemptville, Kars and Manotick. Public high school students in this area go to South Carleton High School in Richmond.
The village took its name from Admiral John Leveson-Gower, Lord of the Admiralty from 1783 to 1789.Ottawa/Manotick (Hope Field) Aerodrome
Ottawa/Manotick (Hope Field) Aerodrome (TC LID: CHF2), is a small airport located 2.3 nautical miles (4.3 km; 2.6 mi) southwest of Manotick, Ontario, Canada, south of Ottawa.Prince of Wales Drive
Prince of Wales Drive (Ottawa Road #73) is a road serving Ottawa, Ontario, named after the eponymous road in Battersea, London, U.K. The northern section is a low-speed street running along the west bank of the Rideau River, while southern portions of the road were formerly Highway 16 (downgraded after the construction of Highway 416).
Prince of Wales Drive is the continuation of Queen Elizabeth Drive beyond Preston Street. It runs around Dow's Lake and through the Central Experimental Farm before reaching a roundabout. The speed limit is 50 km/h (31 mph) down to Fisher Avenue, at which point it increases to 60 km/h (37 mph). There is a major intersection with Hunt Club Road, where several commuters from south Nepean use the bridge to cross the Rideau River.
Prince of Wales Drive follows the Rideau River past Barrhaven and Manotick. South of the intersection with Jockvale Road, the road diverts from the river and heads in a southwesterly direction toward North Gower, where it terminates at 4th Line Road.
Prior to the construction of Highway 416, the stretch of Highway 16 that included Prince of Wales continued south to the Canada–US border into Saint Lawrence County, New York
In May 2007, the City approved the start of an environmental assessment study in regards of the future widening of the road from Fisher Avenue to Woodroffe Avenue from two to four lanes in accommodation to future expansion in Barrhaven, Manotick and Riverside South.South Carleton High School
South Carleton High School is a high school situated in the southwestern sector of the city of Ottawa, in the town of Richmond, Ontario. The school is under the jurisdiction of the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board. The SCHS attendance boundaries cover a major section of the southern part of the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board. Students come from all over the southwestern sector of the city but mainly from the communities of Stittsville, Manotick, Richmond, Riverside South, North Gower, Munster, Kars, Fallowfield, Ashton, Burritts Rapids and the area connecting these communities. SCHS feeder schools include Goulbourn Middle School, Kars on the Rideau Public School, and A. Lorne Cassidy Elementary School.
The school opened its doors in 1952 to 263 students and 13 teachers under the leadership of its first principal, W.W. Powell.
South Carleton's 60th anniversary was celebrated in 2012.St. Mark Catholic High School (Ottawa)
Opened in 1980, St. Mark Catholic High School is located in Manotick, a neighbourhood in the city of Ottawa. Its enrollment is currently around 1100 after losing about 600 students to St. Francis Xavier Catholic High School in 2009 & 2010, after the completion of its construction in 2009. St. Francis Xavier is located just down Limebank Road, less than 10 minutes from St. Mark.Strandherd station
Strandherd Station is a transit station in Ottawa, Ontario. It opened on January 2, 2007 and contains a park and ride facility with over 300 parking spaces available. It is located northeast of the intersection of Strandherd Drive and the access to the Riocan Marketplace shopping area, where Barrhaven Centre Station and Marketplace Station opened in mid-2012. This is part of OC Transpo's plans to extend its southwest transitway to its suburb areas.
Route 95 was extended to Strandherd Station when the facility opened. The park and ride lot provides additional spaces for south end residents in Barrhaven, Heart's Desire, Davidson Heights and Manotick. Special routes 406 and 456 also serve the station.
Service was improved in 2012, when the new right-of-way (running through a field parallel to Greenbank Road) was finished, and buses now travel without having to stop for traffic signals or getting caught in traffic on Greenbank Road.Thomas Payment
Thomas Payment (July 6, 1853 – January 13, 1920) was mayor of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, from 1899 to 1900.He was born in Manotick, Ontario, in 1853. He worked as a bookkeeper with a railroad company in Maine. Later, he studied at the Ontario College of Pharmacy and opened a drug store in the Byward Market area of Ottawa. During his term as mayor, a massive fire, the Hull-Ottawa fire of 1900, started in Hull and burned across the river at the Lebreton Flats, reaching as far as Dow's Lake.
He died in Ottawa in 1920 and was buried in the Notre-Dame Cemetery.Woodroffe Avenue
Woodroffe Avenue (Ottawa Road #15) is a major north-south arterial road in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada's west end. It runs south from the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway through Baseline Road and Barrhaven to just short of Prince of Wales Drive near Manotick. The road runs through the heart of Nepean in Ottawa's west end. A satellite Via Rail station is also located at the intersection of Fallowfield Road.