The Magnolia Flouring Mill was established by the village's founder.
Location of Magnolia, Ohio
Location of Magnolia in Stark County
|• Total||0.87 sq mi (2.25 km2)|
|• Land||0.87 sq mi (2.25 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||958 ft (292 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,124.1/sq mi (434.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1070833|
In 1834 Richard Elson and John W. Smith laid out the village of Magnolia in Sandy Township. In 1836, Isaac Miller platted the village of Downingville in Rose Township. The towns merged and became Magnolia on February 1, 1846. The village took its name from Magnolia Mills, a local gristmill.
Magnolia lies at the intersection of State Routes 183 and 542.
As of the census of 2010, there were 978 people, 384 households, and 266 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,124.1 inhabitants per square mile (434.0/km2). There were 418 housing units at an average density of 480.5 per square mile (185.5/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 97.8% White, 0.2% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.1% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.2% of the population.
There were 384 households of which 34.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.5% were married couples living together, 8.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 30.7% were non-families. 26.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 12% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.08.
The median age in the village was 38.9 years. 26% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.4% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.4% were from 25 to 44; 26.4% were from 45 to 64; and 14.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 50.5% male and 49.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 931 people, 369 households, and 263 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,046.5 people per square mile (403.9/km²). There were 398 housing units at an average density of 447.4 per square mile (172.7/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 99.03% White, 0.54% African American, 0.21% Native American, and 0.21% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.72% of the population.
There were 369 households out of which 30.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.6% were married couples living together, 8.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.7% were non-families. 24.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the village, the population was spread out with 25.8% under the age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 30.9% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 16.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 100.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.3 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $39,688, and the median income for a family was $45,156. Males had a median income of $32,292 versus $20,909 for females. The per capita income for the village was $19,711. About 4.3% of families and 4.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.3% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.
"Annie Lisle" is an 1857 ballad by Boston, Massachusetts songwriter H. S. Thompson, first published by Moulton & Clark of Newburyport, Massachusetts, and later by Oliver Ditson & Co. It is about the death of a young maiden, by what some have speculated to be tuberculosis, although the lyric does not explicitly mention tuberculosis, or "consumption" as it was called then. The song might have slipped into obscurity had the tune not been adopted by countless colleges, universities, and high schools worldwide as their respective alma mater songs.Iorwith Wilbur Abel
Iorwith Wilbur Abel (August 11, 1908 – August 10, 1987), better known as I.W. Abel, was an American labor leader.Jeff Boals
Jeff Boals (born (1972-09-05)September 5, 1972) is the head coach of the Ohio Bobcats men's basketball team. Boals spent seven years as an assistant coach for the Ohio State Buckeyes men's basketball team under the tutelage of Thad Matta before replacing Steve Pikiell as the head coach for the Stony Brook Seawolves for three years.Joe R. Hastings
Joe Ray Hastings (April 8, 1925 – April 16, 1945) was a United States Army soldier and a recipient of the United States military's highest decoration—the Medal of Honor—for his actions in World War II.John Dagenhard
John Douglas Dagenhard (April 25, 1917 – July 16, 2001) was a Major League Baseball pitcher. The 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m), 195 lb (88 kg) right-hander appeared in two games for the Boston Braves at the end of the 1943 season.
Dagenhard is one of many ballplayers who only appeared in the major leagues during World War II. He made his major league debut on September 28, 1943, and pitched scoreless relief in a doubleheader against the St. Louis Cardinals at Sportsman's Park.
On October 3, 1943, he was the starting pitcher in the second game of a doubleheader against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field, the final game of the season. He pitched a complete game and the Braves won, 5–2. Both runs were unearned.John J. Whitacre
John Jefferson Whitacre (December 28, 1860 – December 2, 1938) was a U.S. Representative from Ohio.
Born in Decatur, Nebraska, Whitacre attended the public schools, Hiram (Ohio) College, and the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.
He engaged as a manufacturer of hollow building tile.
He served as delegate to the 1912 Democratic National Convention.
He was an unsuccessful candidate in 1908 to the Sixty-first Congress.
He had a home built in Brown Township, Carroll County, Ohio. During the 1920 presidential campaign, both candidates, Warren G Harding and James M. Cox visited his home.Whitacre was elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-second and Sixty-third Congresses (March 4, 1911 – March 3, 1915).
He announced he would not run for a third term in 1914:
All I've done since I've been in Washington has been to sit around and try to look wise, and that's what any man has to do who isn't willing to barter his convictions for political expediency. ... No man who wants to be intellectually honest has any business in congress.
He resumed his former manufacturing pursuits.
He served as president of the Whitacre Engineering Co. and the Whitacre-Greer Fireproofing Co.
He was nominated in 1928 for the 18th district, but lost.
He died in Miami, Florida, December 2, 1938.
He was interred in Magnolia Cemetery, Magnolia, Ohio.Sandy Valley High School
Sandy Valley High School is a public high school near Magnolia, Ohio, United States. It is the only high school in the Sandy Valley Local Schools district. Its mascot is a cardinal and its colors are red and gray. A new high school building opened January 20, 2009.Sandy and Beaver Canal
The Sandy and Beaver Canal ran 73 miles (117 km) from the Ohio and Erie Canal at Bolivar, Ohio, to the Ohio River at Glasgow, Pennsylvania. It had 90 locks, was chartered in 1828 and completed in 1848. However, the middle section of the canal had many problems from the beginning and fell into disrepair. The canal ceased to operate in 1852, when the Cold Run Reservoir Dam outside of Lisbon, Ohio, broke, ruining a large portion of the canal.
Major D.B. Douglas of the United States Military Academy surveyed a route in 1828. This route was 90.5 miles (145.6 km), with seven aqueducts, 100 locks and a 2,700-foot (820 m) tunnel. The west division would rise for 33.5 miles (53.9 km), the middle division would be 14 miles (23 km), with tunnel, at summit elevation, and the east division would fall over 43 miles (69 km). The Douglas plan was rejected, and the Philadelphia Board of Trade decided that the Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal would be a better option to join the canal systems of Ohio to those of Pennsylvania.At a meeting in Waynesburg, Ohio, in 1834, the canal promoters decided to go ahead without the Philadelphia backing. Hother Hage and Edward H. Gill were hired to engineer the project, and made changes to the Douglas plan. The 73-mile (117 km) canal, as constructed, consisted of the western division with a 400-foot (120 m) long aqueduct 28 feet (8.5 m) above the Tuscarawas River to connect to the Ohio and Erie Canal, 33 locks, five miles (8 km) of slackwater, two reservoirs, and a rise from 900 feet (270 m) at Bolivar to 1,120 feet (340 m) at Kensington. The middle division from Kensington to Lockbridge had two tunnels, and two reservoirs and was 14 miles (23 km), all at 1120 feet. The big tunnel was 900 yards or 1060 yards long. The little tunnel was about 1,000 feet (300 m) long. The tunnels were about 17 feet (5.2 m) high, and the big tunnel was about 80 feet (24 m) below the highest elevation of the hill it penetrated. The Eastern division was 27 miles (43 km) from Lockbridge to Glasgow, lowering from 1,120 feet (340 m) to 665 feet (203 m), with 57 locks, 20 dams, and 17 miles (27 km) of slackwater.Construction progressed until being interrupted by financial difficulties of the Panic of 1837. The number of workmen decreased from 2000 to 200. Little was done for seven years, and the tunnels were finally completed in 1848. Aside from the reservoir collapse in 1852, the Cleveland and Pittsburgh Railroad was built that year, taking business away. Six miles on the west end of the canal were used as a feeder of the Ohio and Erie Canal until 1884, when the aqueduct was lost in a flood.A company called the “Nimishillen and Sandy Slackwater Navigation” was established to investigate a connector along the Nimishillen Creek from Sandyville, Ohio to Canton, Ohio in 1834–35. It was determined there was not enough water flow along this route to build a canal. A similar stillborn plan called the “Still Fork of Sandy Navigation Company” was incorporated in 1837 by some Carroll County, Ohio men to build a connector from Pekin up the Still Fork to near Carrollton, Ohio.An original dam near Waynesburg, 40°40′02″N 81°16′29″W, still impounds a slackwater on the Sandy Creek, and feeds a section of canal downstream to Magnolia, Ohio.
Only 0.75 miles (1 km) of this privately funded canal lay in Pennsylvania; the rest was in Ohio.Seven Ranges Terminus
Seven Ranges Terminus is a stone surveying marker near Magnolia, Ohio that marks the completion of the first step in opening the lands northwest of the Ohio River to sale and settlement by Americans. This survey marked the first application of the rectangular plan for subdividing land.Thomas Dillon
Thomas Lee Dillon (July 9, 1950 – October 21, 2011) was an American serial killer who shot and killed five men in southeastern Ohio, beginning April 1, 1989 and continuing until April 1992.Velvet Crest
Velvet Crest was an American rock band from Mineral City, Ohio, best known for their 1969 hit song, “Look Homeward Angel.”
Municipalities and communities of Carroll County, Ohio, United States
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Municipalities and communities of Stark County, Ohio, United States
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties