Ludwigsburg (German pronunciation: [ˈlʊtvɪçsˌbʊɐ̯k]) is a city in Baden-Württemberg, Germany, about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) north of Stuttgart city centre, near the river Neckar. It is the largest and primary city of the Ludwigsburg district with about 88,000 inhabitants. It is situated within the Stuttgart Region, and the district is part of the administrative region (Regierungsbezirk) of Stuttgart.
Ludwigsburg Palace, inner courtyard
Coat of arms
Location of Ludwigsburg
|• Mayor||Werner Spec|
|• Total||43.33 km2 (16.73 sq mi)|
|Elevation||293 m (961 ft)|
|• Density||2,200/km2 (5,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The area around Ludwigsburg had been a favored hunting grounds by the royal Württemberg family for generations before the founding of Ludwigsburg. Although the region was wilderness, it was easily accessible by boat using the Neckar River. In 1704 the founder of Ludwigsburg, Eberhard Louis, Duke of Württemberg, arranged for the laying of the foundation stone for Ludwigsburg Palace. Ludwigsburg is named after the Duke Eberhard Louis' middle name, Ludwig being the German name for Louis. Right up until his death, construction workers and craftsmen worked on what was to become one of the largest Baroque palace ensembles in Europe. Under Eberhard Louis and his successor, Charles Eugene, the Palace served as the royal residence of Württemberg for a total of 28 years. With the Palace as their Gesamtkunstwerk (translated literally, "collective work of art") and the opulent festivals they organized, the Dukes put their unbounded power on display with no consideration for the finances of Württemberg. To them, their most important task was to bring fame and renown to the court of Württemberg and to compete with and outdo other European rulers in this regard.
Duke Eberhard Louis planned to found an ideal Baroque city right beside Ludwigsburg Palace. From 1709 onwards, he tried to attract new residents to the city with a series of incentives: first he promised free plots of land and free building materials as well as fifteen years tax-free status, and later on he added freedom to practice one's profession and religion to the list. However, the town only began to grow when it was granted city status in 1718 and then in that year became the royal residence and capital city of the country of Württemberg. By the time of Eberhard Louis' death in 1733, the population had risen to around 6,000 people, which was more than half as big as the former capital city Stuttgart. Nevertheless, the new capital city Ludwigsburg was still a major construction site with many unpaved streets and half-finished buildings.
For over two decades, Eberhard Louis (1676-1733) held court in Ludwigsburg with his mistress Wilhilmine von Grävenitz (1684-1744) while the Duchess Johanna Elisabeth (1680-1757) remained in Stuttgart. The clever, ambitious mistress made the best of her time, influencing politics in Württemberg and advancing her status in society. When it became clear that the seriously ill heir to the throne would not come to power, Eberhard Louis had a change of heart, split with his lover and reconciled with his wife in the hope that he would have another son. This was cause for great joy for many people in Württemberg, as the Protestant population feared that power would fall into the hands of the Catholic side of the royal house. To mark reconciliation, the Ludwigsburg citizenry published a leaflet with a copper etching that made reference to the general wish for a new heir to the throne. The etching depicts the personification of Ludwigsburg who is receiving a pearl, a symbol of fertility, from the hand of God. However, people's hopes for another child were not fulfilled as Eberhard Louis died in 1733 and his Catholic cousin, Charles Alexander, Duke of Württemberg, ascended to the throne. When Charles Alexander immediately moved the capital of Württemberg back to Stuttgart, the population of the Ludwigsburg suddenly dropped by more than half within a year.
Towards the end of the 1st century, the area was occupied by the Romans. They pushed the Limes further to the east around 150 and controlled the region until 260, when the Alamanni occupied the Neckarland. Evidence of the Alamanni settlement can be found in grave sites in the city today.
The origins of Ludwigsburg date from the beginning of the 18th century (1718–1723) when the largest baroque castle in Germany, Ludwigsburg Palace was built by Duke Eberhard Ludwig von Württemberg. Originally, the Duke planned to just build one country home (albeit a palace), which he began building in 1704. However, the examples of other princes fostered a desire to project his absolutist power by establishing a city. To the baroque palace, he added a hunting lodge and country seat, called Schloss Favorite (1713–1728), and the Seeschloss (castle on the lake) Monrepos (1764–1768).
A settlement began near the palace in 1709 and a town charter was granted on 3 April 1718. That same year, Ludwigsburg became a bailiff's seat, which eventually became the rural district of Ludwigsburg in 1938.
In the years between 1730 and 1800, the royal seat of residence changed back and forth several times between Stuttgart and Ludwigsburg. In 1800, Württemberg was occupied by France under Napoleon Bonaparte and was forced into an alliance. In 1806, the Kurfürst (Prince-Elector) Friedrich was made king of Württemberg by Napoleon. In 1812, the Württembergish army was raised in Ludwigsburg for Napoleon's Russian campaign. Of the 15,800 Württemberg soldiers who served, just a few hundred returned.
In 1921, Ludwigsburg became the largest garrison in southwest Germany. In 1945, Ludwigsburg was made a "Kreisstadt" (urban district), and later, when the Baden-Württemberg municipal code took effect on 1 April 1956, the city was named a major urban district. In 1956 the tradition of the German garrison town was taken up again by the Bundeswehr, Germany's federal armed forces.
2004 was the 300th birthday of Residenzschloss Ludwigsburg, celebrated by the opening of the Baroque Gallery and the Ceramic Museum in the Residenzschloss.
Jewish families began living in Ludwigsburg during the 19th century and in 1884, a synagogue was built on Solitudestraße. The synagogue was later destroyed by storm troopers during Kristallnacht, the pogrom of November 1938. In 1988, the perimeter of the structure was marked out in plaster on the site. A 1959 memorial and newer memorial plaques commemorate the Jewish Holocaust victims and extol human rights.
In 1940, a Nazi propaganda film, Jud Süß, was filmed in Ludwigsburg. The film was based on a historical figure, Joseph Süß Oppenheimer, who was executed in Stuttgart in 1738; Oppenheimer lived in Ludwigsburg.
During World War II, the city suffered moderate damage compared to other German cities. There were 1500 deaths. It was the home of the prisoner-of-war camp Stalag V-A from October 1939 till April 1945. After the war, there was a large displaced persons camp which housed several thousand mainly Polish displaced persons until about 1948. After 1945 until the middle of 1946, there was also an allied internment camp for war criminals in Ludwigsburg and the U.S. Army maintained the Pattonville barracks on the edge of town, large enough to have its own American high school. The land was returned to Germany in 1994.
On 27 September 2008, the first 12 Stolpersteine were laid in Ludwigsburg. They are part of a project by artist Gunter Demnig to memorialize individuals who perished under Nazi persecution. Demnig was back in Ludwigsburg on 7 October 2009 to install more Stolpersteine.
The North-South Powerline, includes a large transformer station Ludwigsburg-Hoheneck, built in 1926, which still exists today. It is a central junction in the power lines of Baden-Württemberg to this day.
On 5 October 1957, the first 380kV-powerline in Germany between the transformer station Ludwigsburg-Hoheneck and Rommerskirchen went into service.
The town council has 40 members. The last local election was on 25 May 2014. The voter participation was 44.62%. The results of the election were:
The coat of arms of Ludwigsburg depicts a black eagle on a golden banner flying on an oblique red lance, on a blue background. Duke Eberhard Louis, Duke of Württemberg awarded Ludwigsburg its coat of arms on 3 September 1718 as a Reichssturmfahne, which had been part of the Duchy of Württemberg's own coat of arms since 1495. There were some minor changes made to the design, as it had already been associated with the town of Markgröningen. A missive from the office of the mayor of Ludwigsburg in 1759–60 mentions its flag.
In 1966, the Ludwigsburg University of Education (Pädagogische Hochschule) a teacher training college, and the Staatliche Sportschule Ludwigsburg (State Sports School) were opened.
Further universities based in Ludwigsburg are the Ludwigsburg University of Applied Sciences (Hochschule für öffentliche Verwaltung und Finanzen Ludwigsburg), a public institution for the training of higher-level Civil Servants), and the Ludwigsburg Evangelical University for Social Works, Church Social Works and Religious Teaching (Evangelische Hochschule Ludwigsburg (Hochschule für Soziale Arbeit, Religionspädagogik und Diakonie)).
In 1991, a national film school, Film Academy Baden-Württemberg (Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg) was established in Ludwigsburg, which has won several national and international awards and is regarded as one of the best film schools in the world.
Since 2007, there is also the Academy of Performing Arts Baden-Wuerttemberg (Akademie für Darstellende Kunst Baden-Württemberg).
Ludwigsburg has eight secondary schools of various types and four vocational schools. There ere are also four special schools and seventeen primary schools. An adult high school and the city library are located at the cultural center behind the city hall.
Ludwigsburg has six teams in the top level of professional sports. They are MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg (Basketball), both formations A and B of the dance team (1. Tanzclub Ludwigsburg), the Latin-formation (TSC Ludwigsburg), the Hockey-Club Ludwigsburg 1912 e. V. and the riflery team of Ludwigsburg. Additionally there are numerous amateur clubs for various sports.
Ludwigsburg consists of following districts:
The following towns are neighbouring towns of Ludwigsburg, starting north of the city and going clockwise: Freiberg am Neckar, Benningen am Neckar, Marbach am Neckar, Erdmannhausen, Affalterbach, Remseck am Neckar, Kornwestheim, Möglingen, Asperg und Tamm.
Karl Eugen, Duke of Württemberg, enrolled the young Friedrich Schiller in the Karlsschule Stuttgart (an elite military academy he had founded) in 1773, where Schiller eventually studied medicine. The Duke was very demanding of his students, and Schiller's childhood was a lonely and unhappy one, but he was greatly enriched by the excellent education he received. It was there that he wrote his first play, Die Räuber ("The Robbers"), about a group of naïve revolutionaries and their tragic failure.
Ludwigsburg is twinned with:
The 2017 BBL-Pokal was the 50th season of the German Basketball Cup. The Final Four was held in Berlin, which gained Alba Berlin automatic qualification. The other six participating teams were selected through the standings in the 2016–17 Basketball Bundesliga.2017–18 Basketball Champions League
The 2017–18 Basketball Champions League was the second season of the Basketball Champions League (BCL), a European-wide professional basketball competition for clubs, that was launched by FIBA. The competition began on 19 September 2017, with the qualifying rounds, and concluded on 6 May 2018.
The Final Four, which was held 4–6 May, was hosted at the Olympic Indoor Hall in Athens, Greece. Hosts AEK Athens won their first Champions League title after defeating Monaco in the final. UCAM Murcia finished in third place while MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg was fourth.Arena Ludwigsburg
Arena Ludwigsburg, also known as MHPArena, is an indoor sporting arena that is located in Ludwigsburg, Germany. The seating capacity of the arena for basketball games is 5,325 spectators.Ditzingen
Ditzingen is a town in the district of Ludwigsburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is located approximately 10 km northwest of Stuttgart, and 12 km southwest of Ludwigsburg. The Hirschlanden transmitter was located near Ditzingen-Hirschlanden. Ditzingen is the home of Bürger GmbH, Reclam and also Trumpf GmbH.Gerlingen
Gerlingen is a town in the district of Ludwigsburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is situated 9 km west of Stuttgart, and 15 km southwest of Ludwigsburg. Gerlingen is home to Bosch, a major engineering and electronics company.Jon Brockman
Jonathan Rodney Brockman (born March 20, 1987) is an American former professional basketball player who last played for MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg of the Basketball Bundesliga. He was the starting power forward and team captain for the University of Washington men's basketball team. He is the University of Washington's all-time leading rebounder and second-all-time leading scorer in University of Washington history. He grabbed the 1,000th rebound of his career on December 30, 2008 in a win over Morgan State, and became Washington's all-time leading rebounder on January 15, 2009 in a win over Oregon, breaking Doug Smart's school record of 1,051.Kornwestheim
Kornwestheim is a town in the district of Ludwigsburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is situated about 10 kilometres (6 miles) north of Stuttgart, and 5 kilometres (3 miles) south of Ludwigsburg.Kreidler
Kreidler is a German manufacturer of bicycles (electric and non-electric), mopeds and motorcycles. They are part of the Cycle Union group based in Oldenburg, Germany where bikes are built and distributed to dealers mainly throughout Europe.
Kreidler was originally based in Kornwestheim, between Ludwigsburg and Stuttgart. It was founded in 1903 as "Kreidlers Metall- und Drahtwerke" (Kreidlers metal and wire factory) by Anton Kreidler and started to build motorcycles in 1951. In 1959 one third of all German motorcycles were Kreidler. In the 1970s Kreidler had very great success in motorsport. Especially in the Netherlands the riders Jan de Vries and Henk van Kessel were successful.
Kreidler went out of business in 1982 and the rights to the trade mark were sold to the businessman Rudolf Scheidt who had Italian manufacturer Garelli Motorcycles make mopeds under the Kreidler name until 1988. The rights to the Kreidler brand were subsequently acquired by bicycle manufacturer Prophete.Kreidler was active in Grand Prix motorcycle with great success in the 1970s and 1980s, scoring eight world champion titles in 50 cc class:
1971 Jan de Vries
1973 Jan de Vries
1974 Henk van Kessel
1975 Ángel Nieto
1979 Eugenio Lazzarini
1980 Eugenio Lazzarini
1982 Stefan Dörflinger
1983 Stefan DörflingerLudwigsburg (district)
Landkreis Ludwigsburg is a Landkreis (district) in the middle of Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Neighboring districts are (from north clockwise) Heilbronn, Rems-Murr-Kreis, the district-free city Stuttgart, and the districts Böblingen and Enz-Kreis.Ludwigsburg Festival
The Ludwigsburg Festival (Ludwigsburger Schlossfestspiele, also Internationale Festspiele Baden-Württemberg) is a culture festival with programs in music, dance, theatre and literature. The festival is held in Ludwigsburg annually between May and July. Founded in 1932, the festival is among the oldest festivals in German-speaking countries. Many events are held at the Ludwigsburg Palace.Ludwigsburg Palace
Ludwigsburg Palace (Residenzschloss Ludwigsburg), also known as the "Versailles of Swabia", is a 452-room palace complex of 18 buildings located in Ludwigsburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. Its total area, including the gardens, is 32 ha (79 acres) – the largest palatial estate in the country. The palace has four wings: the northern wing, the Alter Hauptbau, is the oldest and was used as a ducal residence; the east and west wings were used for court purposes and housing guests and courtiers; the southern wing, the Neuer Hauptbau, was built to house more court functions and was later used as a residence.
Eberhard Louis, Duke of Württemberg, appointed Philipp Joseph Jenisch to direct the work and construction began in 1704. In 1707, Jenisch was replaced with Johann Friedrich Nette, who completed the majority of the palace and surrounding gardens. Nette died in 1714, and Donato Giuseppe Frisoni finished much of the palace facades. In the final year of construction, Eberhard Louis died and the Neue Hauptbau's interiors were left incomplete. Charles Eugene's court architect, Philippe de La Guêpière, completed and refurbished parts of the New Hauptbau in the Rococo style, especially the palace theatre. Charles Eugene abandoned the palace for Stuttgart in 1775. Duke Frederick II, later King Frederick I, began using Ludwigsburg as his summer residence in the last years of Charles Eugene's reign. Frederick and his wife Charlotte, Princess Royal, resided at Ludwigsburg and employed Nikolaus Friedrich von Thouret to renovate the palace in the Neoclassical style. Thouret converted much of Ludwigsburg's interiors over the reign of Frederick and later life of Charlotte. As a result of each architect's work, Ludwigsburg is a combination of Baroque, Rococo, Neoclassical, and Empire style architecture.
The constitutions of the Kingdom and Free People's State of Württemberg were ratified at Ludwigsburg Palace, in 1819 and 1919 respectively. It was the residence for four of Württemberg's monarchs and some other members of the House of Württemberg and their families. The palace was opened to the public in 1918 and survived World War II intact. It underwent periods of restoration in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1990s and again for the palace's 300th anniversary in 2004. The palace had more than 350,000 visitors in 2017 and has hosted the Ludwigsburg Festival every year since 1947.
Surrounding the palace are the Blooming Baroque (Blühendes Barock) gardens, arranged in 1954 as they might have appeared in 1800. Nearby is Schloss Favorite, a hunting lodge built in 1717 by Frisoni. Within the palace are two museums operated by the Landesmuseum Württemberg dedicated to fashion and porcelain respectively.Ludwigsburg porcelain
Ludwigsburg porcelain is porcelain made at the Ludwigsburg Porcelain Manufactory founded by Charles Eugene, Duke of Württemberg, on 5 April 1758 by decree as the Herzoglich-ächte Porcelaine-Fabrique. It operated from the grounds of the Baroque Ludwigsburg Palace. After a first two decades that were artistically, but not financially, successful, the factory went into a slow decline and was closed in 1824. Much later a series of other companies used the Ludwigsburg name, but the last production was in 2010.A similar range of wares was made to other German factories. Tableware was most often painted with European flowers, and Ludwigsburg made little in chinoiserie styles, already somewhat past their most fashionable. Figures were a relatively large proportion of production compared to other German factories, and included series of court ballet dancers, peasants, and musicians. There were some (more than usually) miniature groups on bases, with figures some three inches high, including ones showing the annual "Venetian fair" held at the court, and some groups satirizing court fashions. Beyer produced more monumental figures in an early Neoclassical style, including a set of musicians.
The original manufactory became famous for its figurines, which are interesting because they very likely were modelled directly on the costumes used in the court ballet, another enthusiasm of Duke Charles Eugene. Between 1760 and 1766 he had managed to entice to Stuttgart the innovative choreographer and ballet master Jean-Georges Noverre, then out of favour in Paris. One of Noverre's innovations was using lighter costumes allowing the dancer to move freely, shown in some of the figure groups, as the one illustrated here, but not all.The 18th-century factory mark was two "C"s interlocked in blue, with one reversed, with or without a ducal coronet above.Marbach am Neckar
Marbach am Neckar (population approximately 15,000) is a town on the river Neckar in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. The nearest larger cities are Ludwigsburg and Stuttgart (ca. 25 km).
Marbach is known as the birthplace of the classical poet and dramatist, Friedrich Schiller. Although Schiller moved away as a child, he is commemorated in Marbach by the Schiller-Nationalmuseum und Deutsches Literaturarchiv (Schiller National Museum and German Literature Archive), one of the main archives of literature history in the country. In 2006, the Literaturmuseum der Moderne (Museum of Modern Literature) was opened for public just next to the existing museum. The iconic and modern building was planned by British architect David Chipperfield. It displays and archives 20th-century literature. Notable original manuscripts include The Trial by Franz Kafka and Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Döblin.
The town has a picturesque centre with several churches (the older one is from the 16th century) and many historical houses, including the house in which Schiller was born.
Marbach (Neckar) station is on the Backnang–Ludwigsburg railway and it used to be the terminus of line S 4 of the Stuttgart S-Bahn, which was extended to Backnang in 2013.Monrepos Palace
Monrepos (German: Seeschloss Monrepos) is a lakeside schloss in Ludwigsburg, Germany. Although quite far and almost separate from Favorite Palace and Ludwigsburg Palace, it is connected to the rest of the grounds by way of pedestrian paths. It is one of the two minor palaces on the estate, along with the main one. The smaller ones were used as hunting lodges.
Of all three, this is the only one that is still owned by the royal family of Württemberg after its overthrow in 1918. Much of the privately owned land surrounding Monrepos is now an 18-hole golf course, unlike the state-owned part, which is made up of parks and museums.
Since the 16th century, the Dukes of Württemberg enjoyed hunting along the Eglosheimer Lake. In 1714, Duke Eberhard Ludwig had an octagonal pavilion, the Seehäuslein ("Little Lake House"), constructed on the northern shore.Nils Langer
Nils Langer (German pronunciation: [ˈniːls ˈlaŋɐ]; born 25 January 1990, in Ludwigsburg) is a German retired tennis player.
Langer reached a career high ATP singles ranking of world No. 188, achieved in March 2016.
Langer made his ATP main draw debut at the 2009 International German Open in the doubles event where he partnered Kevin Krawietz, but lost in the first round to Marcelo Melo and Filip Polášek, 0–6, 4–6.
At the 2013 MercedesCup he qualified for the tournament, defeating Ivo Klec, Jan Mertl and Evgeny Korolev in the qualifying rounds. In the main draw he drew compatriot Robin Kern, a wildcard entrant, winning 3–6, 6–4, 6–3. His run came to an end where he lost to the second seed and compatriot Philipp Kohlschreiber, 5–7, 2–6.Peter Wittgenstein
Louis Adolph Peter, 1st Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Ludwigsburg-Berleburg (German: Ludwig Adolf Peter Fürst zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg; Russian: Пётр Христиа́нович Ви́тгенштейн, tr. Pëtr Christiánovič Vítgenštejn; 17 January [O.S. 6 January] 1769 – 11 June 1843), better known as Peter Wittgenstein in English, was a Prince of the German dynasty Sayn-Wittgenstein and Field Marshal in the Imperial Russian Army during the Napoleonic wars.Riesen Ludwigsburg
Riesen Ludwigsburg (English: Giants Ludwigsburg), for sponsorship reasons MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg, is a professional basketball club that is based in Ludwigsburg, Germany. The club currently plays in the Basketball Bundesliga (BBL), the first tier of basketball in Germany. As well, the club plays in the European Basketball Champions League competition.
Founded in 1960 as DJK Ludwigsburg, the club has been a regular in the BBL since the 1986–87 season, when the team promoted from the second division 2. Basketball Bundesliga. Between the period 1970–2012, the team was also known as SpVgg 07 Ludwigsburg and BSG Basket, before changing its name due to the end of the sponsorship agreement with EnBW.Schloss Favorite, Ludwigsburg
Schloss Favorite is a Baroque maison de plaisance and hunting lodge in Ludwigsburg, Germany and was used as summer residence. It is located on a rise, directly north of Ludwigsburg Palace and connected via an avenue to it.SpVgg Ludwigsburg
The SpVgg Ludwigsburg was a German association football club from the city of Ludwigsburg, Baden-Württemberg.
Towns and municipalities in Ludwigsburg (district)