Lowell Orton North (born December 2, 1929) is an American sailor and Olympic Gold Medalist. He competed at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City, where he received a gold medal in the star class with the boat North Star, together with Peter Barrett.
North was born in Springfield, Missouri on December 2, 1929. He was the son of Williard North.
1945 won the Star World Championship, when he crewed for Malin Burnham on a boat for which he made sails. During the next 30 years he won another four Star Worlds.
In 1957, he founded North Sails in San Diego, a world wide company producing sailing equipment.
He received a bronze medal in the dragon class at the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.
North participated in 1977 America's Cup defender series where he skippered the 12 metre yacht Enterprise.
- ^ "1968 Summer Olympics – Mexico City, Mexico – Sailing" Archived 2008-09-29 at the Wayback Machine. databaseOlympics.com (Retrieved on April 18, 2008)
- ^ http://www.starclass.org/history/1948northamericans.pdf
- ^ http://www.nshof.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=326%3Anorth-lowell-2011-inductee&catid=78&Itemid=253
- ^ http://www.na.northsails.com/AboutUs/HistoryofNorthSails/tabid/1951/Default.aspx
- ^ "1964 Summer Olympics – Tokyo, Japan – Sailing" Archived 2007-02-21 at the Wayback Machine. databaseOlympics.com (Retrieved on April 18, 2008)
- ^ https://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/no/lowell-north-1.html
This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.