The village consists mainly of residential properties and farm buildings. There is also a popular children's nursery. Although there was once a village shop there are no shops currently located within the village. However, there is major supermarket adjacent to Loversall Parish, within the development known as Woodfield Plantation. There are also a small number of shops and a Post Office in the adjacent village of Wadworth.
St Katherines Church is a Grade II* listed building. It appears to have been built before 1207 by the Fossard family, who owned the Manor of Hexthorpe under Count Robert de Mortain (half brother to William the Conqueror). Within the churchyard lies an early 14th-century tomb chest which is also Grade II* listed.
Loversall Hall, next to the church, is a large but plainly-built house, its principal front built by the Fenton family of Leeds between 1808 and 1816, although the buildings at the rear are probably seventeenth century. Loversall was part of the manor of Doncaster, and its church, dedicated to St Katherine, was technically a chapel of ease in the parish of Doncaster, rather than a fully-fledged parish church.
There are a number of working farms in the Parish, including Quarry Farm adjacent to the A60 and Loversall Farm, the farmhouse for which is located within the village. Pear Tree Farm, also within the village, is no longer a working farm but the farmhouse, thought to be around 250 years old, remains in residential use.
|Population||156 (2011 Census)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
The history of Loversall's parish records illustrates both the vulnerability of archives and one of the uses of bishop’s transcripts. Although the church at Loversall is medieval, the parish registers begin only in the nineteenth century. The reason for this lies in the events of a winter’s night on 7 and 8 February 1844, when thieves broke into the church. They broke open the parish chest, probably in hope of stealing the communion plate. Finding no valuable contents, they made a fire to warm themselves in the bitter winter weather. Their fuel was the oak chest and most of its contents, namely all the parish registers but the most recent marriage and burial registers.
The information in the registers was not irretrievably lost. Since 1598, parishes had been obliged to make a yearly return to the bishop of the diocese, listing all the baptisms, marriages and burials which had taken place in the parish in the previous year. Loversall, like other local parishes, sent in its returns to York, and these are now to be found in the Borthwick Institute of Historical Research, along with all the other records of the archdiocese of York. The parish register transcripts for Loversall survive from 1601 to 1830, and so most of the information which would have been found in the parish registers is still available to family historians.
Loversall was designated a conservation area on 19 October 1979.
The character of Loversall Conservation Area is that of a small open grained village of traditional limestone buildings with clay pantile roofs. The village appears to have grown within the Loversall Hall parkland to serve the listed Loversall Hall. The main street appears from map evidence to have continued to the south east past the listed dovecote and walled garden to Loversall Hall. This was blocked off possibly when the route to the Hall was diverted to the north around the time the Hall was rebuilt in 1811.
Historically domestic and agricultural buildings, probably tied to the Loversall estate, developed along Bubup Hill. These front the road and are almost exclusively of coursed rubble limestone and clay pantiles which gives a homogeneous character to this part of the conservation area. The most significant of these is Loversall Farm which was the major farm of the village. Its importance is demonstrated by being three storeys high rather than two storeys which is the norm of the village. Being elevated and with no development in front of it the building dominates the key view on approaching from Wadworth. To the east is Loversall Hall and its curtilage buildings. Part of the walled garden survives with the listed dovecote to one corner though the walled garden is now subdivided between two modern properties. South and west of the drive approaching the hall is parkland in character and is designated as Green Belt. Formerly, this part of the conservation area would have been relatively open but 20th century developments have infilled the land between Bubup Hill and the Hall. Some of this is incongruous and suburban in character. The most unusual of these infills is a pair of Swedish timber bungalows introduced in 1948.
There are five listed structures within the area.
The 1918 New Year Honours were appointments by King George V to various orders and honours to reward and highlight good works by citizens of the British Empire. The appointments were published in The London Gazette and The Times in January, February and March 1918.Unlike the 1917 New Year Honours, the 1918 honours included a long list of new knights bachelor and baronets, but again the list was dominated by rewards for war efforts. As The Times reported: "The New Year Honours represent largely the circumstances of war, and, perhaps, as usual, they also reflect human nature in an obvious form. The list is one of the rare opportunities for the public to scan the names of soldiers who have distinguished themselves in service."The recipients of the Order of the British Empire were not classified as being within Military or Civilian divisions until following the war.The recipients of honours are displayed here as they were styled before their new honour, and arranged by honour, with classes (Knight, Knight Grand Cross, etc.) and then divisions (Military, Civil, etc.) as appropriate.Civil parishes in South Yorkshire
A civil parish is a country subdivision, forming the lowest unit of local government in England. There are 93 civil parishes in the ceremonial county of South Yorkshire, most of the county being unparished. At the 2001 census, there were 360,191 people living in the 93 parishes, increasing to 369,220 in 2011, accounting for 27.5 per cent of the county's population.Diocese of Sheffield
The Diocese of Sheffield is an administrative division of the Church of England, part of the Province of York.
The Diocese of Sheffield was created under George V on 23 January 1914, by the division from the Diocese of York (along with that part of the Diocese of Southwell in the city of Sheffield). It covers most of the County of South Yorkshire (except Barnsley), with a small part of the East Riding of Yorkshire, one parish in North Yorkshire and one in North Lincolnshire – an area of almost 576 square miles (1,490 km2). It is headed by the Bishop of Sheffield and its Cathedral is Sheffield Cathedral.
The diocese is linked with the Diocese of Argentina. Since 1990 it has been linked with the Evangelical Church in Germany's Hattingen-Witten District in Westphalia.Doncaster Rural District
Doncaster was a rural district in the West Riding of Yorkshire, England from 1894 to 1974.
The rural district was created by the Local Government Act 1894 as successor to the Doncaster Rural Sanitary District. It consisted of an area surrounding, but not including, the town of Doncaster. Doncaster itself formed a separate municipal borough (from 1927 a county borough). The district underwent a number of boundary changes over its existence due to the expansion of Doncaster and the growth of a number of other towns.Doncaster Rural District Council were granted armorial bearings on 30 October 1947.East Coast Main Line Route Utilisation Strategy
The East Coast Main Line Route Utilisation Strategy (RUS), published by Network Rail in February 2008, was the seventh RUS.
RUSs are established by the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR) unless the latter objects within 60 days. A letter formally confirming establishment, but with some qualifications, was sent by ORR to NR in April 2008, and the RUS is included in NR's map as established.The scope includes the whole of Strategic Route 8 - East Coast Main Line and Route 9 - North East Routes, and part of Route 5 (the Hitchin-Cambridge line). Not strictly within the scope but relevant to the service mix forming present and future utilisation of the RUS area are parts of Route 11 (to Sheffield and to Lincoln, and the diversionary joint GN/GE route from Peterborough to Doncaster via Lincoln), Route 10 (to Hull and to Bradford) and Route 24 (to Aberdeen).
As with other RUSs, the ECMLRUS took into account a number of responses, including the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR).The routes and services covered by the RUS are varied in type. At the London end and in the vicinity of other major cities are inner suburban and metro-like services, which are vital commuter routes; across the RUS area there are cross-country and fast medium-distance passenger services, including inter-city services; there are long-distance (and in the British context very long distance) high-speed passenger services (LDHS) from London to a number of major cities in Scotland and northern England; and there are significant freight flows that use part of the area. A number of issues arise from the mix and intensity of these services, and the RUS addresses these in 10 groups.
Some issues are closely related to other RUSs: Scotland RUS (Edinburgh Waverley station and Portobello junction); Freight RUS.
Some issues were passed to later RUSs: Lancashire & Cumbria Yorkshire & Humber (Y&H RUS), the Network RUS, West Coast Main Line (WCML).The RUS needs to be seen against existing contingent and prospective schemes, especially against the Thameslink project, which will see a step-change in services continuing through central London onto the network south of London. The timing of some interventions identified in the RUS are dependent on certain works in this programme being brought forward.Grade II* listed buildings in South Yorkshire
There are over 20,000 Grade II* listed buildings in England. This list includes those in South Yorkshire.List of poor law unions in England
This article lists all English Poor Law Unions.
Note for table: 'PLU' stands for Poor Law Union and 'PLP' stands for Poor Law Parish.List of settlements in South Yorkshire by population
This is a list of settlements in South Yorkshire by population based on the results of the 2011 census. The next United Kingdom census will take place in 2021. In 2011, there were 34 built-up area subdivisions with 5,000 or more inhabitants in South Yorkshire, shown in the table below.Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster
The Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster is a metropolitan borough of South Yorkshire in Yorkshire and the Humber Region of England.
In addition to the town of Doncaster, the borough covers the towns of Mexborough, Conisbrough, Thorne, Bawtry and Tickhill.
The borough was created on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, as a merger of the former county borough of Doncaster along with the urban districts of Adwick le Street, Bentley with Arksey, Conisbrough, Mexborough, Tickhill along with Doncaster Rural District and Thorne Rural District, the parish of Finningley from East Retford Rural District and small parts of the parish of Harworth from Worksop Rural District from Nottinghamshire.River Torne
The River Torne is a river in the north of England, which flows through the counties of South Yorkshire and North Lincolnshire. It rises at the Upper Lake at Sandbeck Hall, in Maltby in South Yorkshire, and empties into the River Trent at Keadby pumping station. Much of the channel is engineered, as it plays a significant role in the drainage of Hatfield Chase, which it crosses.
The first major change occurred around 1628, when the drainage engineer Cornelius Vermuyden cut a new channel for the river across the Isle of Axholme, and built a sluice at Althorpe where it entered the River Trent. Nearly 90 years of civil unrest followed, before the issues of flooding were finally resolved. Drainage of the land bordering the river was carried out in the 1760s and 1770s. A new sluice was built at Keadby, lower downstream on the Trent in the 1780s, but the Torne was not re-routed to it until much later. The sluice at Keadby became a pumping station in 1940, and the option to pump water into the Trent at all states of the tide led to the abandonment of the Althorpe outfall, and the routing of the Torne to Keadby.
There are a number of pumping stations along the course of the river. Tickhill pumping station was built in the 1970s, to handle water from the Middle Drain, which crosses an area affected by mining subsidence. It was managed on behalf of the Coal Board by Tickhill Internal Drainage Board (IDB), not part of Doncaster East IDB. There are Environment Agency pumping stations at Candy Farm and Tunnel Pits.Rossington
Rossington is a civil parish and former mining village in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, England and is surrounded by countryside and the market towns of Bawtry and Tickhill.Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust
The Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust, is a NHS Foundation Trust and Mental Healthcare Trust serving over 850,000 inhabitants of Doncaster, Rotherham and parts of South Humber. Its headquarters are situated at St Catherine's Hospital in Doncaster. It provides mental healthcare as well as contracted work for Primary Care Trusts in South Yorkshire such as training and IT.Sir Godfrey Copley, 2nd Baronet
Sir Godfrey Copley, 2nd Baronet FRS (; c. 1653 – 9 April 1709) was a wealthy English landowner, art-collector and public figure, who lived at Sprotbrough House, near Doncaster in South Yorkshire.
Copley was the son of Sir Godfrey Copley (1623–1677), who was created baronet by King Charles II in 1661, and he succeeded to his father's title and estates in 1678. In 1677 he had immediately followed his father as High Sheriff of Yorkshire.
He was elected a member of the Royal Society in 1691. He is remembered mainly because he provided a bequest of £100 to the society in London in 1709, which provided the funding for an annual award, the Copley Medal, the Society's premier award for scientific achievement. It is Britain's oldest scientific honour, a prestigious forerunner of the Nobel Prize, "in trust for the Royal Society of London for improving natural knowledge."
He served as Member of Parliament for Aldborough from 1679 to 1685 and for Thirsk from 1695 to 1709, and also served as commissioner of public accounts and controller of the accounts of the army.Copley was a major landowner in Nottinghamshire and South Yorkshire, holding lands in Sprotbrough, Newton, Cusworth, Cadeby, Wildthorpe, Loversall, Doncaster, Bentley and Warmsworth, among other places.
He died at his Westminster house in 1709 and was buried at Sprotbrough. He had married twice: firstly Catherine - a noted beauty - daughter of John Purcell of Natribia, Montgomeryshire (they had one daughter, Catherine). Following Catherine's death, he married again; this time, to Gertrude, daughter of Sir John Carew of Anthony, Cornwall. With no male heir the baronetcy became extinct. The estates were left to a distant cousin Lionel after whom they passed in 1766 to Copley's grandson, son of his daughter Catherine, who had married Joseph Moyle of Beke, Cornwall. Their son Joseph Moyle, who was Clerk of the Signet, changed his surname to Copley by Act of Parliament on inheriting the Sprotbrough estate and was created a baronet in 1778.Sir Thomas Wharton Academy
Sir Thomas Wharton Academy is a coeducational academy school and sixth form located in Edlington, Doncaster, England. It accepts pupils from the surrounding areas including Balby, Braithwell, Conisbrough, Edlington, Loversall, Micklebring, Tickhill, Wadworth, Warmsworth and Woodfield Plantation.
Its feeder schools are Warmsworth Primary, Edlington Hilltop, Edlington Victoria, Wadworth Primary, Tickhill Estfeld and Tickhill St Mary's.
Sir Thomas Wharton Academy operates a tutor group system. In the past groups contained pupils of all ages, but in 2009 new tutor groups were formed which included two to four members of each year group, including members of the Sixth Form. Form groups were then changed again at the start of the 2014 school year to include only students up to Year 11. Sixth Form students now have their own specialised form groups. Then in 2017, Form Groups were changed again for Year 11 students to have their own Form Groups.
The school operates a house system, introduced at the same time as mixed age tutor groups. All pupils and members of staff are separated into one of four houses. Each house has its own pastoral care team which deals with student issues. The four houses are named after country halls: Cusworth (Purple), Brodsworth (Green), Chatsworth (Yellow) and Wentworth (Red). Different coloured ties are used to identify to which house students belong.South Yorkshire
South Yorkshire is a metropolitan county in England. It is the southernmost county in the Yorkshire and the Humber region and had a population of 1.34 million in 2011. It has an area of 1,552 square kilometres (599 sq mi) and consists of four metropolitan boroughs, Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield. South Yorkshire was created on 1 April 1974 as a result of the Local Government Act 1972. Its largest settlement is Sheffield.
Lying on the east side of the Pennines, South Yorkshire is landlocked, and borders Derbyshire to the west and south-west, West Yorkshire to the north-west, North Yorkshire to the north, the East Riding of Yorkshire to the north-east, Lincolnshire to the east and Nottinghamshire to the south-east. The Sheffield Urban Area is the tenth most populous conurbation in the United Kingdom, and dominates the western half of South Yorkshire with over half of the county's population living within it. South Yorkshire lies within the Sheffield City Region with Barnsley also being within the Leeds City Region, reflecting its geographical position midway between Yorkshire's two largest cities.
South Yorkshire County Council was abolished in 1986 and its metropolitan boroughs are now effectively unitary authorities, although the metropolitan county continues to exist in law. As a ceremonial county, South Yorkshire has a Lord Lieutenant and a High Sheriff.
South Yorkshire was created from 32 local government districts of the West Riding of Yorkshire (the administrative county and four independent county boroughs), with small areas from Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.
In the 2016 referendum on the United Kingdom's membership of the European Union, South Yorkshire voted 62% leave and 38% remain, making it one of the most heavily Leave areas in the country.