The Louisiade Archipelago is a string of ten larger volcanic islands frequently fringed by coral reefs, and 90 smaller coral islands in Papua New Guinea.
It is located 200 km southeast of New Guinea, stretching over more than 160 kilometres (99 mi) and spread over an ocean area of 26,000 square kilometres (10,000 sq mi) between the Solomon Sea to the north and the Coral Sea to the south. The aggregate land area of the islands is about 1,871 square kilometres (722 sq mi), with Vanatinai (Tagula) being the largest.
Map of Papua New Guinea
The Louisiade Archipelago is in the dark red area at the bottom of the map.
|Area||1,871.1 km2 (722.4 sq mi)|
|Province||Milne Bay Province|
|Largest settlement||Bwagaoia (pop. 2680)|
The archipelago is divided into the Local Level Government (LLG) areas Bwanabwana Rural (western part, with Basilaki), Louisiade Rural (central part, with Misima), and Yaleyamba (eastern part, with Rossell and Vanatinai islands). The LLG areas are part of Samarai-Murua District of Milne Bay. The seat of the Louisiade Rural LLG is Bwagaoia on Misima Island, the population center of the archipelago. The seat of the Yaleyamba is changed every couple of years between Rambuso and Jingo (Rossell). The seat of the Bwanabwana was Samarai from the Louisiade archipelago, but was recently transferred to the mainland of Papua New Guinea to the city of Alotau.
The Louisiade Archipelago consists of the following island groups and islands:
|Island||Capital||Other Cities||Area (km²)||Population|
|Calvados Chain||Pana Wina||Motorina, Bagaman, Hemenahei||85.1||3276|
|Motorina||Riman Bay||Tawara, Mabaraboraboa||7.8||595|
|Other||Burnett||Ehiki, Panua Keikeisa||1.78||0|
|Pana Numara||Hoba Bay||1.93||183|
|Pana Udu Udi||0.69||0|
|Pana Wina||Bomalou||Panambari, Boiama Point||30.55||456|
|Sabari||Hekampan||Tandeyai, Hebenahine, Maho||4.04||708|
|Conflict Group||Panasesa||Irai, Lunn||5.06||30|
|Pana Uya Wana||0.36||0|
|Panaeati||Bwaganati||Maggiau, Palualual, Siakeu, Namati, Panakakamwa, Nulia Wharf, Lebwalebwal||30.32||2080|
|Pana Bobai Ana||0.75||0|
|Pana Rura Wara||0.42||0|
|Ana Karu Karua||0.2||0|
|East Deboyne Islands||1.02||0|
|Skelton||Naruaruari||Koialia, Waiaku, Digaigaia||3.56||375|
|Misima||Bwagaoia||Baimatana, Hinauta, Kaubwaga, Boiou, Siagara, Kalotawa, Gulewa, Mwana, Liak, Panataval, Bagilina, Manihuna, Ewena, Ebora, Bwagabwaga, Alhoga, Eaus, Gaibobo, Narian||214.5||19330|
|Pana Tinani Islands||Bwailahina||Kabagi-bagi||99.92||1764|
|Nimoa||Soluwo||Boiminusi, Woos, Galanga Beach||3.556||395|
|Pana Tinani||Bwailahina||Hobuk, Hauagili, Hessessai Bay, Buvara Bay, Bounce Point, Imadi Bay, Gawn Point, Hati Lawi Bay, Heihuti Bay, Bonawi Point||78||527|
|Yeina||Kabagi-bagi||Araeda, Buwo, Jolandan||16||407|
|Rossel||Jinjo||Damunu, Yonga Bay, Mbuwo, Morpa, Wulunga Bay, Pum, Pwepwo, Piniga, Abeleti, Vyukwa, N’Jaru, Wale, Saman, Pambwa||292.5||5000|
|Arch Islands||Nasa Rua Rua||0.5||0|
|Logea||Kasabanalua||Kumikuku, Dabali, Pota||9.02||1004|
|Bonarua Hili Hili||0.05||0|
|Igwali||Igwali||Naba Riaria, Ga-Uri||1.47||10|
|Sariba||Sidudu||Sauasauaga, Magehau, Sebuluna||23.21||1880|
|Sideia||Sideia||Oba, Gotai, Gadogadowa, Sekuku, Dulauna, Tegerauna||101.3||1890|
|Kitai Bona Bona||Kibou||0.42||10|
|Castori Islets||Baia Baia Karona||0.18||0|
|Other||Sripkunui Island, Nasariri Island, Didigilo Island, Grant Island, Shortland Island||0.8||0|
|Vanatinai Islands||Rambuso||Tagula, Donuwo, Bololo||831.6||3360|
|Vanatinai||Rambuso||Tagula, Eden, Mitin, Edwahi, Griffin Point, Tarangia, Lajamare, Donuwo, Siri Point, Buiawe, Bololo, Emeli, Pamela, Madaua, Jelewaga||830||3257|
|Louisiade Archipelago||Bwagaoia||Samarai, Rossel||1871.1||47000|
The islands were discovered by a Spanish expedition led by Luis Váez de Torres in 1606, that was part of the Fernandez de Quiros fleet which had sailed from South America in search of Australia. The Torres expedition visited various islands including Basilaki Island, which he named San Buenaventura in July 1606. It is possible that Malay and Chinese sailors also visited the islands earlier. More than a century later, in 1768, Louis Antoine de Bougainville visited the islands and named them for Louis XV, the king of France. Visits were also paid by Admiral Bruni d'Entrecasteaux in 1793 and Captain Owen Stanley in 1849.
The islands have a moist tropical climate, and are largely covered with tropical moist broadleaf forests. The Louisiade Archipelago rain forests form a distinct ecoregion, and are home to a number of endemic species, including several endemic trees (in genera Pandanus, Diospyros, and Hopea), as well as five endemic frog species, two endemic lizard species, and five endemic bird species.
Auriroa Island is an island in Milne Bay Province of Papua New Guinea.It is in the Conflict Group archipelago, part of the Louisiade Archipelago in the Solomon Sea.Bagaman Island
Bagaman Island is an island of Papua New Guinea, part of the Calvados Chain within the Louisiade Archipelago. Misima language is the native language on the island.Bonvouloir Islands
Bonvouloir Islands are a group of uninhabited islands of Papua New Guinea. They are in the Louisiade Archipelago.
The islands are located 100 kilometres (62 miles) northwest of Misima and form the northernmost group of Louisiade archipelago .
The main islands are East, Panamole (a.k.a. Strathord) and Hastings
East Island is located 26 kilometres (16 miles) to the east of Hastings Island, and Panamole (a.k.a. Strathord) is located 9 kilometres (5.6 miles) to the north of Hastings Island.
The islands are densely wooded, rocky, and Hastings Island has 200m high cliffs and many caves.Calvados Chain
The Calvados Chain are a group of islands in the Solomon Sea, belonging to Papua New Guinea within the Louisiade Archipelago.Daloloia Group
Daloloia Group are islands of Papua New Guinea. They are in the Louisiade Archipelago. They Include Bonura Island and Sarupai Island.
The islands have a total area of 0.13 km2Deboyne Islands
The Deboyne Islands are an atoll, composed of a group of reefs and islands in the north of the Louisiade Archipelago, Papua New Guinea.Duchateau Islands
The Duchateau Islands are an island group in the Coral Sea, belonging to Papua New Guinea. They lie to the east of Panarairai Island in the Louisiade Archipelago.East Island, Papua New Guinea
East Island is an island in Milne Bay Province of southeastern Papua New Guinea.
It is in the Bonvouloir Islands archipelago group of the Louisiade Archipelago.Hastings Island (Papua New Guinea)
Hastings Island is an island of the Louisiade Archipelago, in Milne Bay Province of Papua New Guinea.Hemenahei Island
Hemenahei Island is an island in Papua New Guinea, part of the Calvados Chain within the Louisiade Archipelago. It is located to toward the eastern end of the Calvados Chain, in the Louisiade Archipelago, in the Milne Bay Province, between Pana Tinani (off Vanatinai) in the East and Pana Wina in the West.
The area of the island is 10.24 square kilometres (3.95 square miles). It was previously inhabited (Niyalehoi village on the northern coast) but now only occasionally being used as a camp for fishermen who come from Pana Tinani.
Niyalehoi had some gardens for yams and sago, that Sabari Islanders used to crop.Lunn Island
Lunn Island is a solitary island of Papua New Guinea in the Solomon Sea, belonging to the Louisiade Archipelago. It belongs to Milne Bay Province, to the ward of Conflict Group and is located between the Engineer Group, which is 8.3 kilometres (5.2 miles) to the west, and the Torlesse Islands, which are 18.3 kilometres (11.4 miles) to the east. The Deboyne Islands are another 22 kilometres (14 miles) eastward.
Lunn Island is uninhabited, densely wooded and has a land area of 51 hectares (130 acres). It is 1.14 kilometres (1,250 yards) long and up to 550 metres (600 yards) wide.Pana Tinani
Pana Tinani is an island in the Louisiade Archipelago in Milne Bay Province, Papua New Guinea.Pana Wina Island
Pana Wina Island is an island of Papua New Guinea. It is part of the Calvados Chain, a grouping of islands within the Louisiade Archipelago. Pana Wina is the largest island in the Calvados Chain, and lies near the eastern end of the chain, just west of Hemenahei Island. The very small Yakimoan Island lies just west of Pana Wina.
The capital village of the Calvados Chain, where the ward's school is located, Bomalou, with a population of just over 300, lies on the western shore of the island.Panaeati Island
Panaeati Island is an island of Papua New Guinea. It is in the Deboyne Islands atoll in the Louisiade Archipelago.Panapompom Islands
Panapompom Island is an island of Papua New Guinea. It is in the Deboyne Islands atoll of the Louisiade Archipelago.Rossel Island
Rossel Island (named after de Rossel, a senior officer on the French expedition of d'Entrecasteaux, 1791-1793; also known as Yela) is the easternmost island of the Louisiade Archipelago, which itself is part of the Milne Bay Province of Papua New Guinea. Tree Islet is situated 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the north-west, while Wule Island is situated 1.5 miles (2.4 km) westward.Strathord Islands
The Strathord Islands are an uninhabited island group of five islands in the Louisiade Archipelago of Papua New Guinea.
Politically they belong to the province of Milne Bay in the southeastern region of Papua New Guinea .
The islands are located about 100 km northwest of Misima and form the northernmost group of Louisiade archipelago. They are among the Bonvouloir Islands which include two other islands to the south.
The main island Strathord Island, also known as Pana Mole, lies on the southern part of the reef. The group is heavily forested and flat.
Strathord was inhabited by two families from Ewena until 2013. Nowadays, they come a couple of times a year to collect yams and coconuts from their gardens.Utian Island
Utian Island is an island in Papua New Guinea, part of the Calvados Chain within the Louisiade Archipelago. It is located at the western end of the Calvados Chain, in the Louisiade Archipelago, in the Milne Bay Province.Yeina Island
Yeina Island is an island of volcanic origin in the Southeast Louisiade Archipelago in Milne Bay Province, Papua New Guinea.
Islands of Papua New Guinea