Loreto (Spanish (help·info)) is a municipality of the Mexican state of Baja California Sur. It was created in 1992 from the partition of the neighboring Comondú Municipality. The municipal seat is in the town of Loreto, which was the former capital of Las Californias during Spanish colonial times.
The 2010 census reported a population of 16,738, about 88 percent of whom lived in the town of Loreto. The municipality has an area of 4,311 km² (1,664.49 sq mi).
Coat of arms
Location of Loreto in Baja California Sur.
|State||Baja California Sur|
|• Total||4,418.98 km2 (1,706.18 sq mi)|
|• Density||4.3/km2 (11/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC−7 (Pacific (US Mountain))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−6 (Pacific)|
The largest localities (cities, towns, and villages) are:
|Name||2010 Census Population|
|Puerto Agua Verde||192|
The Comondú Complex is an archaeological pattern dating from the late prehistoric period in northern Baja California Sur and southern Baja California. It is associated with the historic Cochimí people of the peninsula.
The complex was defined on the basis of investigations at rock shelters near the town of San Jose de Comondú by archaeologist William C. Massey, beginning in the late 1940s. It has been recognized at sites extending from the Sierra de la Giganta (west of Loreto) in the south to Bahía de los Ángeles in the north.
A key characteristic of the Comondú Complex is the presence of small Comondú Triangular and Comondú Serrated projectile points. These points reflect the introduction of the bow and arrow into the peninsula, perhaps around 500-1000 CE, largely supplanting the earlier atlatl and dart. Other traits include grinding basins and slicks, manos, tubular stone pipes, coiled basketry, and square-knot netting. The region's Great Mural rock art may also be associated with the Comondú Complex.Isla Coronados
Isla Coronados, is an island in the Gulf of California east of the Baja California Peninsula in Baja California Sur state, Mexico. The island is uninhabited and is part of the Loreto Municipality.Isla Danzante
Isla Danzante, is an island in the Gulf of California east of the Baja California Peninsula. The island is uninhabited and is part of the Loreto Municipality.Isla Monserrate
Isla Monserrate, is an island in the Gulf of California east of the Baja California Peninsula. The island is uninhabited and is part of the Loreto Municipality.Isla San Cosme
Isla San Cosme, is an island in the Gulf of California east of the Baja California Peninsula. The island is uninhabited and is part of the Loreto Municipality.Isla Santa Cruz (Baja California Sur)
Isla Santa Cruz, is an island in the Gulf of California, east of the Baja California Peninsula in Baja California Sur state.
The island is uninhabited and is within Loreto Municipality.Isla Santiago (Baja California Sur)
Isla Santiago, is an island in the Gulf of California, east of the Baja California Peninsula in Baja California Sur state.
The uninhabited island is within Loreto Municipality.Isla Tijeras
Isla Tijeras, is an island in the Gulf of California east of the Baja California Peninsula. The island is uninhabited and is part of the Loreto Municipality.Islotes Las Galeras
Islotes Las Galeras, are a pair of small islands in the Gulf of California east of the Baja California Peninsula, and just 3/4 miles (about 1 km) north of Isla Monserrate. The islands are uninhabited and part of the Loreto Municipality.Loreto International Airport
Loreto International Airport (IATA: LTO, ICAO: MMLT) is an international airport located in the city of Loreto, in Loreto Municipality of Baja California Sur state, northwestern Mexico.Misión La Purísima Concepción de Cadegomó
Mission La Purísima, was founded west of Loreto in Baja California Sur, by the Jesuit missionary Nicolás Tamaral in 1720 and financed by the Marqués de Villapuente de la Peña and his wife the Marquesa de las Torres de Rada. By 1735 it had been moved to a new location at the Cochimí ranchería known as Cadegomó, meaning "arroyo of the carrizos", about 30 kilometers south of the original site. The mission was abandoned in 1822. In the early twentieth century, the church was still in use, but by the start of the following century only a few traces of structures remained...Misión Nuestra Señora de los Dolores del Sur Chillá
The Jesuit missionary Clemente Guillén founded Mission Dolores in 1721 and sponsored by the Marqués de Villapuente de la Peña, on the Gulf coast of Baja California Sur, Mexico, about midway between Loreto and La Paz in Baja California Sur, Mexico.
Dolores drew its initial neophytes from the earlier, unsuccessful mission at Malibat or Ligüí to the north. In 1723, the mission site was moved to the Guaycura settlement of Apaté, about 4 kilometers inland from the coast. It was moved again in 1741 by Lambert Hostell to a location which had previously functioned as its visita of La Pasión, known as Chillá or Tañuetía ("place of the ducks"), about 25 kilometers southwest of Apaté.
The mission was subsequently reduced to the status of a visita of Mission San Luis Gonzaga. It was finally abandoned in 1768, when the Franciscans took over control of the Baja California missions from the Jesuits. The remaining neophytes were relocated to Todos Santos.Misión San Bruno
The short-lived Jesuit mission of San Bruno was established in 1684 on the Baja California Peninsula near the Gulf of California, in colonial Mexico of the Viceroyalty of New Spain. The Mission was located at 26°13′57″N 111°23′53″W. The location of this mission should not be confused with the location of the present day town of San Bruno which is located about 110 kilometres (68 mi) to the north.
The site is about 25 kilometres (16 mi) north of the later site of the town of Loreto, in present-day Loreto Municipality, Baja California Sur state, Mexico'Misión San Juan Bautista Malibat
Other missions bearing the name San Juan Bautista include the Mission San Juan Bautista in California and the Misión San Juan Bautista in Coahuila
Misión San Juan Bautista Malibat also known as the Misión San Juan Bautista de Ligüí was founded by the Jesuit missionary Pedro de Ugarte in November 1705, about 30 kilometres (19 mi) south of Loreto near the Gulf of California coast of what is today the Mexican state of Baja California Sur. The mission is located at 25°44′22″N 111°15′51″W.Misión San Luis Gonzaga Chiriyaqui
Mission San Luis Gonzaga was a Jesuit mission established among the Guaycura on the Magdalena Plains of central Baja California Sur, Mexico.
Initially in 1721 a visita or subordinate mission station of Mission Dolores near the coast to the east, the site was elevated to mission status by Lambert Hostell in 1737. One of Hostell's successors was Johann Jakob Baegert, who served from 1751 until the Jesuits were expelled and the mission was closed in 1768. Baegert is notable for his detailed but acid accounts of his experiences in Baja California. He oversaw the construction of stone and adobe brick structures that still survive at the site.San Javier, Baja California Sur
San Javier is a village in Loreto Municipality, located in Baja California Sur state, Mexico.
The village had a population of 131 inhabitants at the census of 2010, and contains the church of the Misión San Francisco Xavier de Viggé-Biaundó (more commonly known as Misión San Javier).Sierra de la Giganta
The Sierra de la Giganta is a mountain range of eastern Baja California Sur state, located on the southern Baja California Peninsula in northwestern Mexico.
It is a mountain range of the Peninsular Ranges System, which extends 1,500 km (930 mi) from Southern California, through the Baja California Peninsula in Baja California and Baja California Sur states.Visita de San Juan Bautista Londó
The Jesuit visita, or subordinate mission station, of San Juan Bautista Londó was founded by Juan María Salvatierra and Francisco María Piccolo in 1699. It was located at the Cochimí settlement of Londó, about 30 kilometers north of Loreto and 13 kilometers west of the Gulf of California coastline, west of the abortive mission site of San Bruno that had been occupied in 1684–1685 by Isidro de Atondo y Antillón and Eusebio Francisco Kino.
Permanent stone structures were begun at Londó in 1705, but by 1750 its Cochimí population had been relocated to Misión San José de Comondú. Ruins now attest to the former presence of the visita.Visita de la Presentación
During their brief presence in Baja California, the Franciscans established Visita de la Presentación, a subordinate mission station for Misión San Francisco Javier de Viggé-Biaundó, about 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) south of that mission.
The site is west of Loreto in present-day Loreto Municipality of Baja California Sur state.
The visita was founded by Francisco Palóu in 1769. It was abandoned in 1817. Substantial remnants of stone structures and the water system survive.
La Paz (capital)