Longuyon

Longuyon French pronunciation: ​[lɔ̃ɡɥijɔ̃] is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in the Grand Est region of north-eastern France. The inhabitants are called Longuyonnais.

Longuyon
Crusnes River in Longuyon
Crusnes River in Longuyon
Coat of arms of Longuyon

Coat of arms
Location of Longuyon
Longuyon is located in France
Longuyon
Longuyon
Longuyon is located in Grand Est
Longuyon
Longuyon
Coordinates: 49°26′52″N 5°36′05″E / 49.4478°N 5.6014°ECoordinates: 49°26′52″N 5°36′05″E / 49.4478°N 5.6014°E
CountryFrance
RegionGrand Est
DepartmentMeurthe-et-Moselle
ArrondissementBriey
CantonMont-Saint-Martin
Government
 • Mayor (2014-2020) Jean-Pierre Jacque
Area
1
29.7 km2 (11.5 sq mi)
Population
 (2016-01-01)[1]
5,481
 • Density180/km2 (480/sq mi)
Time zoneUTC+01:00 (CET)
 • Summer (DST)UTC+02:00 (CEST)
INSEE/Postal code
54322 /54260
Elevation203–389 m (666–1,276 ft)
(avg. 218 m or 715 ft)
Websitelonguyon.fr
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.
Totem de longuyon
Canadian totem pole in Longuyon

Geography

Longuyon is located at the confluence of the Chiers and Crusnes rivers 18 kilometres (11 mi) from Longwy. It is bordered on the north by the Belgian province of Luxembourg, just south of the Belgian village of Grandcourt.

History

Eglise Longuyon cote
Saint Agatha's Church and cemetery

The town is named after a "long ford" (from the Latin longa guada) that allowed crossing of the Chiers in Roman times. It was known as Longagio (634), Longio (973), Longione (973), monasterri longagionis (10th century), Longion (1030), Longuion (1209), Longuio (1756).

Several Gallo-Roman sites were excavated in 1934 containing the remains of substructures and fragments of painted plaster. A necropolis of the later Roman Empire was excavated in 1843 in Magé.

The first mention of Longuyon (as Longagio) dates from 634. At that time there is already a chapel dedicated to Saint Agatha, which became a collegiate church in 1120, and later served as a barracks for French soldiers in 1636.

The castle of Mussy, first mentioned in 1144, was razed in 1670 by the French occupation troops by order of Louis XIV.

Longuyon was a capital of the Bailiwick of Longuyon from June 1751 to 1789, then the capital of the Canton of Longuyon until March 2015.

In 1914 the town had 2,300 inhabitants. It was devastated on August 23–24 of that year by the Prussian infantry and 86 inhabitants, men, women, and children, were executed by firing squad.

Longuyon has long been an important railroad crossroads, located between the iron ore of the Briey basin and the coal mining area of the North.

The apartment blocks on the southwestern edge of town, still called "La Cité Canadienne", were home to Royal Canadian Air Force staff and their families in the 1950s and 1960s, when the RCAF had an airbase at nearby Marville. The street names still carry the names Toronto, Montreal, etc., and a totem pole was erected as a monument to the Canadian presence in Longuyon.

Attractions

The prominent buildings in Longuyon include the Collegiate Church of St. Agatha from the 13th century. The church was mentioned for the first time in 634 in the will of the deacon Adalgisel Grimo. The St. Agatha monastery was converted to a collegiate church in 973 by the Archbishop of Trier, then into a Benedictine priory in the late twelfth century, before being permanently restored as a collegaite church in the early thirteenth century. Since the French Revolution it has been a parish church. The current building was built in the late twelfth and early thirteenth century, with the base of the tower appearing to be slightly earlier. The church was fortified in the sixteenth century with a gatehouse above the western portal and defensive elements.

See also

  1. ^ "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
Arrondissement of Briey

The arrondissement of Briey is an arrondissement of France in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in the Grand Est region. It has 128 communes.

Badonviller

Badonviller (German: Badenweiler) is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in northeastern France.

Colombey-les-Belles

Colombey-les-Belles is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France.

Crion

Crion is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France.

Dombasle-sur-Meurthe

Dombasle-sur-Meurthe is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France, close to the city of Nancy.

Doncourt-lès-Longuyon

Doncourt-lès-Longuyon is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France.

Jacques de Longuyon

Jacques de Longuyon of Lorraine is the author of a chanson de geste, Les Voeux du paon ("The Vows of the Peacock"), written for Thibaut de Bar, bishop of Liège in 1312. It was one of the most popular romances of the 14th century, and introduces the concept of the Nine Worthies. De Longuyon is also noted for having fought and defeated his mentor, Scott Goran, in a battle of broadswords, noteworthy as his mentor Goran was one of the most accomplished broad-swordsmen of his time.

Laneuveville-devant-Nancy

Laneuveville-devant-Nancy is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France, which includes the former commune of La Madeleine, notable for manufacturing terra sigillata Ancient Roman pottery.

Liverdun

Liverdun is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France.

Mars-la-Tour

Mars-la-Tour is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in northeastern France.

Neuves-Maisons

Neuves-Maisons is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France.

The city had a great steel industry during the 19th and 20th century.

Neuves-Maisons erected a plaque in the memory of Émilie Busquant, a feminist, anarcho-syndicalist and anti-colonial activist born in the area, on the fiftieth anniversary of her death in 2003. A 2015 documentary by director Rabah Zanoun introduced a French audience to her forgotten story.

Othe

Othe is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France. It is an exclave of the French Meurthe-et-Moselle Department.

Ouvrage Ferme Chappy

Ouvrage Ferme Chappy is a petit ouvrage of the Maginot Line in northeastern France. It is located at the western end of the Fortified Sector of the Crusnes near Longuyon in the Meurthe-et-Moselle département, facing Belgium. The gros ouvrage Fermont borders Ferme Chappy's artillery coverage to the east. A wide gap existed to the west in the direction of Longuyon, covered only by blockhouses and natural obstacles such as rivers. Ferme Chappy was assaulted by German forces during the Battle of France in June 1940, fending off the attack with artillery support from Fermont. Chappy surrendered with its neighbors on 27 June. It was abandoned after the war and is now private property.

Pagny-sur-Moselle

Pagny-sur-Moselle is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France.

Praye

Praye is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France.

Saint-Jean-lès-Longuyon

Saint-Jean-lès-Longuyon is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France.

Sexey-aux-Forges

Sexey-aux-Forges is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France.

Vaudémont

Vaudémont is a commune in the Meurthe-et-Moselle department in north-eastern France.

Communes of the Meurthe-et-Moselle department

This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by authors (here).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.