Llangefni (Welsh pronunciation: [ɬanˈɡɛvni]) is the county town of Anglesey in Wales and contains the principal offices of the Isle of Anglesey County Council. United Kingdom Census 2011 recorded Llangefni's population as 5,116 people, making it the second largest settlement on the island.
Llangefni clock tower
|Population||5,116 2011 Census|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
The town is near the centre of Anglesey, and is on the River Cefni, after which it is named. Its attractions include the Oriel Ynys Môn museum, which details the history of Anglesey and houses the legacy collection of Charles Tunnicliffe. In the west of the town is a large secondary school, Ysgol Gyfun Llangefni (Llangefni Comprehensive School), and in the north a Victorian parish church, St Cyngar's, set in a wooded riverside location called the Dingle. The town was formerly named Llangyngar, Welsh for "St Cyngar's church".
Llangefni is a commercial and farming town in Anglesey and once hosted the largest cattle market on the island. There is a relatively large industrial estate, which includes a large chicken processing plant, the largest single industrial operation in the town, as well as several other small businesses.
The town had a station on the Anglesey Central Railway line which opened in 1864. It closed in 1964, although goods trains continued to pass through the town until 1993. Although no longer used, the railway tracks have not been removed. The nearest station is now at Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, 5 miles (8 km) away as the crow flies. There are frequent buses to the larger settlements of Bangor and Holyhead as well as to the smaller towns of Amlwch and Beaumaris. By road the town is just 2 kilometres from the major A55 and A5 roads, via the short A5114. Water for the town comes from Llyn Cefni, a reservoir 1.5 miles (2.4 km) to the northwest.
Llangefni hosted the National Eisteddfod in 1957 and 1983, and in 1999 gave its name to the Eisteddfod held at the nearby village of Llanbedrgoch. It also hosted the Urdd Eisteddfod (youth Eisteddfod) in 2004. The town also has a college, Coleg Menai (Llangefni site).
The local rugby club is Llangefni RFC, which plays in the WRU leagues. The club recently gained promotion to Division 2 West, but the WRU then decided to demote the club back to Division 4 North Wales league.
According to the 2011 Census, Llangefni is the community with the highest percentage of Welsh speakers on the Isle of Anglesey, and the 6th highest in Wales. 80.7% of residents aged three and over reported being able to speak Welsh in the 2011 Census, as compared to 83.8% reporting being able to do so in the 2001 Census. Of those born in Wales, 91.6% of the community's population could speak Welsh.
Llangefni is in the Canolbarth Môn electoral ward which also includes four other neighbouring communities in the centre of the island, electing three county councillors to the Isle of Anglesey County Council. Prior to the 2012 Anglesey electoral boundary changes the town was represented by three county councillors elected from three wards, Cefni, Cyngar and Tudur.
The 1998–99 Welsh Alliance League was the 15th season of the Welsh Alliance League after its establishment in 1984. The league was won by Llangefni Town.Anglesey
Anglesey (; Welsh: Ynys Môn [ˈənɨs ˈmoːn]) is an island off the north coast of Wales with an area of 276 square miles (715 km2). Anglesey is by far the largest island in Wales and the seventh largest in the British Isles. Anglesey is also the largest island in the Irish Sea by area, and the second most populous island (after the Isle of Man). The ferry port of Holyhead (on the nearby Holy Island) handles more than 2 million passengers each year. The Menai Suspension Bridge, designed by Thomas Telford in 1826, and the Britannia Bridge span the Menai Strait to connect Anglesey with the mainland.
Anglesey, one of the historic counties of Wales, was administered as part of Gwynedd, but along with Holy Island and other smaller islands, it is now governed by the Isle of Anglesey County Council. Much of this article covers the whole of this administrative area. The majority of Anglesey's inhabitants are Welsh speakers and Ynys Môn, the Welsh name for the island, is used for the UK Parliament and National Assembly constituencies. The population at the 2011 census was 69,751. The island falls within the LL postcode area, covering LL58 to LL78.Anglesey Central Railway
The Anglesey Central Railway (Welsh: Lein Amlwch, Amlwch Line) was a 17.5-mile (28.2 km) standard-gauge railway in Anglesey, Wales, connecting the port of Amlwch and the county town of Llangefni with the North Wales Coast Line at Gaerwen. Built as an independent railway, the railway opened in portions from 1864 to 1867. Due to financial troubles the railway was sold to the London and North Western Railway in 1876, which invested significantly in the infrastructure. Operation continued under various companies during the 20th century, but passenger services were withdrawn in 1964 as part of the Beeching Axe. Industrial freight services continued until 1993. The railway's tracks remain and local groups have demonstrated an interest in restoring services as a heritage railway.
The sustainable transport charity Sustrans has proposed to use the route as a cycle path (rail trail). The Welsh Assembly Government, in partnership with Network Rail, commissioned a feasibility study into the reopening of the line, which started in early 2011.Bryngwran
Bryngwran is a village and community in the Welsh county of Anglesey, located on the A5 London to Holyhead trunk road. It lies 8.1 miles (13.0 km) west of Llangefni, 7.0 miles (11.3 km) south west of Llannerch-y-medd and 7.4 miles (11.9 km) south east of Holyhead, and includes the villages of Bryngwran, Capel Gwyn and Engedi. At the 2001 census the community had a population of 781, increasing to 894 at the 2011 election.Saint Peulan's Church stands in an isolated position at Llanbeulan, in the south east of the community. A medieval building, it partly dates from the 12th century, but was extended in the 14th, and restored in the mid-19th century. The gritstone font dates from late 12th century. It is considered an example of a "rural medieval church retaining its simple character" and is Grade II* listed. Pandy Treban, a former fulling mill in the north of the community, and the 18th-century bridge at Pont Factory Cymunod, over the Afon Crigyll on the border with Bodedern, are Grade II listed.Politician Alun Michael was born in Bryngwran in 1943. He served as First Minister of Wales and leader of Welsh Labour from May 1999 to February 2000, Member of Parliament for Cardiff South and Penarth from 1987 to 2012, and Police and Crime Commissioner for South Wales since 2012.Coleg Menai
Coleg Menai (Meaning in English: Menai College) is a further education college located in Bangor, Gwynedd, Wales. The college also has campuses in Parc Menai, Llangefni, Caernarfon and Holyhead.
The college provides a range of academic and vocational courses including A levels, Apprenticeships, English for Speakers of Other Languages programmes and Access courses. It also offers some higher education courses in conjunction with Bangor University, Glyndŵr University and the University of South Wales.
On April 2, 2012, Coleg Menai and Coleg Llandrillo Cymru (which included Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor) merged to create Grwp Llandrillo Menai, the largest further education institute in Wales.Gaerwen
Gaerwen (Welsh pronunciation) is a village on the island of Anglesey in the community of Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog. It is located in the south of the island 4 miles (6.4 km) west of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll and 4 miles (6.4 km) southeast of Llangefni . The A5 runs through the village, and the A55 runs just a few hundred metres north. According to the 2011 Census Gaerwen is now listed by the Office for National Statistics as Llanfihangel Ysgeifiog. The population of the community is 1,551.Hugh Griffith
Hugh Emrys Griffith (30 May 1912 – 14 May 1980) was a Welsh film, stage and television actor. He won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Ben-Hur (1959) and received an additional Oscar nomination in the same category for his work in Tom Jones (1963).Llangefni Town F.C.
Llangefni Town Football Club (Welsh: Clwb Pêl-droed Tref Llangefni) are a Welsh football team based in Llangefni on Anglesey. They will be playing in the newly formed FAW Championship North & Mid from the 2019–20 season after gaining promotion from winning the Division 1 title in the Welsh Alliance League. Their reserve team currently play in the Welsh Alliance Reserve League.
Llangefni Town competed for a single season in the Welsh Premier League in the 2007–08 season and are former members of now defunct Cymru Alliance between 1999 and 2012.Llangristiolus
Llangristiolus is a village and community in the middle of Anglesey, Wales, southwest of Llangefni, and is named after Saint Cristiolus. The River Cefni flows through the village. The village is within a mile of the A5 and A55 roads. The village of Rhostrehwfa is in the community.
The church of St Cristiolus, Llangristiolus, dates from the 12th century.Llangwyllog
Llangwyllog (Welsh pronunciation) is a small village and ancient parish in the centre of Anglesey, Wales.
It is found three miles to the north of the island's capital, Llangefni, and two miles north of Llyn Cefni, the island's second largest body of water. The settlement was once far more important than it is today reaching a population of 277 in 1821, whereas the 1971 census showed only 75 people living there.
The Anglesey Central Railway used to operate a station in the village until its closure in 1993. The tracks however still run through the village and there is a significant railway cutting in the village.
The parish church is St Cwyllog's Church, Llangwyllog; the first church here was founded by St Cwyllog in the 6th century.
One historic event said to have taken place here in 1134 was a battle between Owain Gwynedd, the first king of Wales and the armies of the Erse, Manx, and Norsemen, who had invaded the island. In the end the Welsh leader was triumphant.Llyn Cefni
Llyn Cefni is a small reservoir in the centre of Anglesey, Wales which is managed by Welsh Water and Hamdden Ltd, while the fishery is managed by the Cefni Angling Association. The reservoir is located just 1 kilometre (0.6 mi) northwest of the island's county town of Llangefni and is the source of the Afon Cefni.Môn FM
Môn FM is a bilingual community radio station serving Anglesey. The station broadcasts from studios in Llangefni town centre on 102.5 FM and online via the station's website.
MônFM broadcasts around 80 hours a week of locally-oriented music and speech programming in English and Welsh, including local news, current affairs, sports, specialist music shows and events coverage.
The station airs hourly national news bulletins produced by Sky News Radio in London 24 hours a day with local news bulletins airing on weekday afternoons. Apart from Sky News bulletins, all of MônFM's programming is produced and presented locally by volunteers.
After an RSL transmission in March 2012 for the Llangefni area, the station continued to produce online output before being granted a full-time licence in August 2013, allowing MônFM to broadcast across most of the island via a transmitter at Gwalchmai. The station's FM signal also extends to cover large parts of north Gwynedd on the mainland.
Full-time broadcasting on 102.5 FM and online began at 8am on Saturday 12 July 2014.Oriel Ynys Môn
Oriel Ynys Môn is a museum and arts centre located in Llangefni, Anglesey (Ynys Môn), Wales.
A two-part centre, the History Gallery provides an insight into the island's culture, history and environment. The Art Gallery has a changing programme of exhibitions, encompassing art, craft, drama, sculpture and social history. Until November 2012 Wales's most important Iron Age find, the Celtic objects from Llyn Cerrig Bach, have been loaned to the museum from the National Museum of Wales for display.It also houses a series of permanent displays, including:
the world's largest collection of the works of Welsh artist Sir Kyffin Williams, who was born in Llangefni. This is housed in a specialist collection named Oriel Kyffin Williams opened by Shirley Paget, Marchioness of Anglesey on 18 July 2008.
the works of wildlife artist Charles TunnicliffePentre Berw
Pentre Berw (Welsh pronunciation) is a small village located on the island of Anglesey in north Wales. It lies about 2 miles (3.2 km) south of the county town of Llangefni.RAF Mona
RAF Mona (ICAO: EGOQ) is a Royal Air Force station near Bodffordd on the island of Anglesey, Wales. It is primarily used as a relief landing ground for RAF Valley.
RAF Mona is also the home of Mona Flying Club who operate some evenings and most weekends.Rhosmeirch
Rhosmeirch (Welsh pronunciation) is a small village in Anglesey, Wales.
It is located 1 1⁄2 miles (2.4 km) north of the county town, Llangefni, and half a mile west of the reservoir Llyn Cefni. It’s a lovely community to live in and everyone is helpful. The village hall is the heart of the community whilst the kids can go play in the park.St Cyngar's Church, Llangefni
St Cyngar's Church is a church in the town of Llangefni, Isle of Anglesey, Wales. The building dates from 1824. It was designated as a Grade II listed building on 8 July 1952.Welsh Alliance League
The Welsh Alliance Football League (currently the Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Football League, for sponsorship reasons) is a football league formed in 1984. Division 1 is part of the third level of the Welsh football league system in North Wales. The current champions, in the 2018–19 season, of Division 1 are Llangefni Town and of Division 2 are Glan Conwy.Ysgol Gyfun Llangefni
Ysgol Gyfun Llangefni is a bilingual community comprehensive school for pupils aged 11 to 18 years old located in Llangefni, Anglesey. Pupils come from the town of Llangefni and the surrounding villages and rural areas. The school opened around 1953 and currently has 702 students on roll.
There is a leisure centre neighbouring the school called Plas Arthur.