The Little Llangothlin Nature Reserve is a protected wetland nature reserve that is located on the Northern Tablelands in the New England region of New South Wales, in eastern Australia. The 257-hectare (640-acre) reserve is situated approximately 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) north-east of the rural locality of Llangothlin, and some 20 kilometres (12 mi) north-east of Guyra.
The reserve contains the 120-hectare (300-acre) Little Llangothlin Lagoon, part of the smaller Billy Bung Lagoon, and was established in 1979 under the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974. In 1996 the reserve was designated a wetland of international importance under the Ramsar Convention. It, with the adjacent area of Bagot Road, is also listed on Australia’s Register of the National Estate.
|Little Llangothlin Nature Reserve|
New South Wales
IUCN category IV (habitat/species management area)
Little Llangothlin Nature Reserve
|Nearest town or city||Llangothlin|
|Area||2.57 km2 (1.0 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service|
|Website||Little Llangothlin Nature Reserve|
|Designated||17 March 1996|
|See also||Protected areas of|
New South Wales
|Little Llangothlin Lagoon|
|Type||Freshwater, high altitude lake|
|Catchment area||Clarence River|
|Max. length||1.38 km (0.86 mi)|
|Max. width||1.17 km (0.73 mi)|
|Surface area||1.20 km2 (0.46 sq mi)|
|Max. depth||2 m (6 ft 7 in)|
|Surface elevation||1,360 m (4,460 ft)|
The Little Llangothlin Nature Reserve has some of the last high-altitude freshwater lagoons on basalt soil on the New England Tableland. The reserve is situated in an area that has lost most of its vegetation to create arable land. It thus serves as a refuge for numerous species of birds, mammals, amphibians and reptiles.
The reserve lies on Tertiary basalt soils on the New England Plateau at an altitude of 1,360 metres (4,460 ft) above sea level, and is surrounded by pastoral farmland. It protects a still largely natural example of a high-altitude lake, most of which have been cleared or severely modified in the region. The lagoon fills a natural depression in the tableland landscape; a former agricultural drainage ditch has been filled in to restore its original water depth of about 2 metres (6 ft 7 in) when full. The vegetation includes sedgeland, herbland and grassy woodland. Trees include New England peppermints, snowgums and silver wattles. The rare Hairy Anchor Plant and Austral Toadflax are found there. The wetlands of the reserve form a drought refuge for many kinds of waterbirds as well as supporting several species of frogs and reptiles. A 4.8-kilometre (3.0 mi) walking track encircles the lagoon.
Ashford is a small village situated in the north-west on the Northern Tablelands of the state of New South Wales. The New England rural village of Ashford lies within the broad sunlit lands 748 km north of Sydney, 500 km south west of Brisbane, close to the Queensland border. Ashford is 430 metres above sea level and located 56 km north of Inverell on a major arterial road, connecting the Gwydir and Bruxner highways through to the Queensland border.Attunga, New South Wales
Attunga is a small farming community in the New England region of New South Wales Australia.Bendemeer, New South Wales
Bendemeer (30°53′S 151°09′E) is a village of 485 people on the Macdonald River in the New England region of New South Wales, Australia. It is situated at the junction of the New England and Oxley Highways.Bonshaw, New South Wales
Bonshaw is a village in New South Wales, Australia 783 km north of Sydney. In the 2016 census, the village had a population of 133 people in the district. It is located near the northern border of the State close to Texas, Queensland, from which it is separated by the Dumaresq River which forms the border between the states. Bonshaw is located in Inverell Shire and Arrawatta County. It is on the Bruxner Highway between Tenterfield and Goondiwindi. It is a village designed to serve the needs of the agricultural holdings in the area.
Bonshaw Post Office opened on 1 October 1866 and closed around 1994.Brackendale, New South Wales
Brackendale is a rural locality situated on the Riamukka Road about 29 kilometres south of Walcha, New South Wales within the Walcha Shire local government area on the Northern Tablelands in Australia.
Brackendale was officially recognised as a locality in 1968 and currently comprises several houses and a church. The principal local industry is sheep and beef cattle breeding.
Orundumbi Post Office opened on 1 October 1892 and was renamed Brackendale in 1924.The single-teacher Brackendale Public School closed in 1989.In 2007, Brackendale and surrounding farms were quarantined following an outbreak of equine influenza.Coolatai, New South Wales
Coolatai is a town in the New England region of northern New South Wales, Australia. The town is located 615 kilometres (382 mi) north of the state capital, Sydney in Gwydir Shire local government area. At the 2006 census, Coolatai and the surrounding area had a population of 179.Coolatai Post Office opened on 15 February 1898 and closed around 1980.Duri, New South Wales
Duri is a village south of Tamworth in the New England region of New South Wales, Australia. It lies on the Werris Creek Road and the Main North railway line. At the 2011 census, Duri had a population of 534.A railway station was located there between 1879 and 1985.Elsmore, New South Wales
Elsmore is a rural village, with a population of 327 (2006), in Gough County on the Northern Tablelands, New South Wales, Australia. The village is situated 10 km east of Inverell, New South Wales, just north of the Macintyre River and is within Inverell Shire.Invergowrie, New South Wales
Invergowrie is a locality in the Uralla Shire local government area on the Northern Tablelands of New South Wales, Australia. It is located about 16 km west of Armidale, about halfway between Sydney and Brisbane and approximately 200 km inland from Coffs Harbour on the Pacific coast. Invergowrie is a popular rural neighbourhood for staff of the University of New England. At the 2016 census, Invergowrie had a population of 775 people. It has a general store, a fuel station and a New South Wales Rural Fire Service station.
Invergowrie was named after the village Invergowrie in Scotland.Kingstown, New South Wales
Kingstown is a rural village, 40 kilometres (25 mi) north west of Uralla on the Northern Tablelands in the New England region of New South Wales, Australia. At the 2006 census, Kingstown had a population of 137 people. It has a public school, church, general store, Landcare Group and New South Wales Rural Fire Service. The main industries are sheep and beef cattle breeding with some timber production.Llangothlin, New South Wales
Llangothlin is a rural locality with several houses, 11 kilometres (7 mi) north of Guyra on the Northern Tablelands in the New England region of New South Wales, Australia. Llangothlin was located in the Guyra Shire local government area until that council was amalgamated into the Armidale Regional Council on 12 May 2016.In 1848 William Rawson was lessee of the 50,000-acre (200 km2) Llangothlin run. Llangothlin was named after its Welsh counterpart (spelt Llangollen) in Denbighshire.The original alignment of the New England Highway crossed the Main North railway line at Llangothlin at a level crossing, until the highway was realigned to be entirely on the eastern side of the railway. There was originally a railway station at Llangothlin, which opened in 1884 and closed about 1974. The line is now closed. The old church is now a crafts shop. Llangothlin Post Office opened on 15 November 1886 but it is now a private home.About 11 km northeast of Llangothlin is the Little Llangothlin Nature Reserve at an elevation of 1360 metres. It is the only protected area on the New England Tablelands on basaltic soils. This Reserve contains the 120 hectare Little Llangothlin Lagoon and part of the much smaller Billy Bung Lagoon. Little Llangothlin Nature Reserve and the adjacent area, Bagot Rd, have been placed on the Register of the National Estate. These are two small lakes are an important breeding and feeding area for migratory waterfowl, and also for frogs.Mingoola
Mingoola is a locality in the New England region of New South Wales, Australia. The locality is in the Tenterfield Shire local government area, on the Bruxner Highway and Mole River 714 kilometres (444 mi) north west of the state capital, Sydney. At the 2016 census, Mingoola had a population of 18.In 2016, Mingoola was the site for a pioneering refugee resettlement program. The program involved the resettlement of refugees from Africa to live and work in Mingoola. The program has been seen as an opportunity for refugees and small rural communities alike.North Star, New South Wales
North Star is a small village in the Gwydir Shire, located in northern New South Wales near the Queensland border. At the 2006 census, North Star had a population of 327 people in the surrounding area, with a population of around 50 in the actual village.Nowendoc, New South Wales
Nowendoc is a parish and village on the Northern Tablelands, New South Wales, Australia. It is 360 km north of the state capital, Sydney, 66 km south of Walcha in the Walcha Shire local government area. A sealed road, Thunderbolts Way, is about three hundred metres to the south of Nowendoc and provides links to the south and north.Stonehenge, New South Wales
Stonehenge is a rural locality on the Northern Tablelands of New England in New South Wales, Australia.
The settlement is located about 8 kilometres (5 mi) south of Glen Innes, on the New England Highway and just north of Beardy Waters. It is about 3,500 feet (1,067 m) above sea level and exists mainly as a flat plateau strewn with granite boulders, some over 5 metres high. One of note is a roughly spherical monolith about 2.5 metres in diameter known as the Balancing Rock. The locality was named because of the local granite outcrops that were reminiscent of Stonehenge, England.Tia, New South Wales
Tia, (pronounced ‘tie ah’) is a settlement and parish located approximately 30 kilometres east of Walcha, on the Northern Tablelands region of New South Wales, Australia.Warral, New South Wales
Warral is a small locality south of Tamworth in the New England region of New South Wales, Australia. It lies on the Werris Creek Road and the Main North railway line. A station was located there between 1910 and 1975.Washpool National Park
The Washpool National Park is a protected national park located in the New England region of New South Wales, Australia. The 58,678-hectare (145,000-acre) park is situated approximately 520 kilometres (320 mi) north of Sydney, inland from Grafton. The park has two campgrounds and is managed by the NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service. It was established in 1983 to preserve the significant plant and animal populations found in the Washpool and Gibraltar Range forests.The Park is part of the Washpool and Gibraltar Range area of the World Heritage Site Gondwana Rainforests of Australia inscribed in 1986 and added to the Australian National Heritage List in 2007.Yarrowyck, New South Wales
Yarrowyck is a rural locality on the western slopes of the Northern Tablelands, New South Wales, Australia.
Yarrowyck is located in Uralla Shire and in Sandon County. The locality is about 23 kilometres north west of Uralla on Thunderbolts Way and about 31 kilometres west of the city of Armidale. Yarrowyck is an agricultural area with mostly sheep and beef cattle breeding and grazing activities in the valley of the Rocky River.
|Australian Capital Territory|
|New South Wales|
Mid North Coast
|New England Tablelands|
|South Coast and|
|Sydney and surrounds|