The New York City borough of Manhattan contains 214 numbered east–west streets numbered from 1st to 228th, the majority of them created by the Commissioners' Plan of 1811. These streets do not run exactly east–west, because the grid plan is aligned with the Hudson River, rather than with the cardinal direction. Thus, the grid's "west" is approximately 29 degrees north of true west. The grid covers the length of the island from 14th Street north.
All numbered streets carry an East or West prefix (for example, East 10th Street or West 10th Street), which changes from one to the other at Broadway below 8th Street, and at Fifth Avenue at 8th Street and above. The numbered streets carry crosstown traffic. In general, but with numerous exceptions, even-numbered streets are one-way eastbound and odd-numbered streets are one-way westbound. Most wider streets, and a few of the narrow ones, carry two-way traffic.
Although the numbered streets begin just north of East Houston Street in the East Village, they generally do not extend west into Greenwich Village, which already had established, named streets when the grid plan was laid out by the Commissioners' Plan of 1811. Some streets in that area that do continue farther west change direction before reaching the Hudson River.
220th Street is the highest numbered street on Manhattan Island, but Marble Hill is also within the borough of Manhattan, so the highest street number in the borough is 228th Street. The numbering system continues in the Bronx, up to 263rd Street, though east of Van Cortlandt Park the system ends at 243rd Street. The lowest numbered street in Manhattan is East 1st Street, which runs through Alphabet City near East Houston Street. There is also a First Place in Battery Park City.
East 1st Street begins just north of East Houston Street at Avenue A and continues to the Bowery. Peretz Square, a small triangular sliver park where Houston Street, First Street and First Avenue meet marks the spot where the grid takes hold.
East 2nd Street begins just north of East Houston Street at Avenue C and also continues to the Bowery. The east end of East 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th Streets is Avenue D, with East 6th Street continuing further eastward and connecting to FDR Drive.
The west ends of most of these streets is the Bowery and Third Avenue, except for 3rd Street (formerly Amity Place), which continues to Sixth Avenue; and 4th Street, which extends west and then north to 13th Street in Greenwich Village. Great Jones Street connects East 3rd to West 3rd.
East 5th Street goes west to Cooper Square, but is interrupted between Avenues B and C by The Earth School and Public School 364, and between First Avenue and Avenue A by the Village View Apartments.
|1st Street||Avenue A/E Houston Street||Bowery||0.37 mi (0.6 km)|
|2nd Street||Avenue D/E Houston Street||Bowery||0.81 mi (1.3 km)|
|3rd Street||Avenue D||Bowery||0.81 mi (1.3 km)|
|4th Street||Avenue D||W 13th Street||1.9 mi (3.1 km)|
|5th Street||Avenue D||Cooper Square/Third Avenue||0.62 mi (1 km)|
|6th Street||FDR Drive||Cooper Square/Third Avenue||0.93 mi (1.5 km)|
|7th Street||Avenue D||Third Avenue||0.81 mi (1.3 km)|
8th and 9th Streets run parallel to each other, beginning at Avenue D, interrupted by Tompkins Square Park at Avenue B, resuming at Avenue A and continuing to Sixth Avenue. West 8th Street is an important local shopping street. 8th Street between Avenue A and Third Avenue is called St Mark's Place, but it is counted in the length below.
M8 bus route operates eastbound on 8th Street and westbound on 9th Street between Avenue A and Sixth Avenue.
|8th Street||Avenue D||Sixth Avenue||1.2 mi (2 km)|
|9th Street||Avenue D||Sixth Avenue||1.2 mi (2 km)|
Amos, Hammond, and Troy Streets were in the Greenwich Village street grid before 1811. In the middle 19th century they were renamed as the western parts of West 10th, 11th and 12th Streets, respectively.
10th Street (FDR Drive and Avenue C. West of Sixth Avenue, it turns southward about 40 degrees to join the Greenwich Village street grid and continue to West Street on the Hudson River. Because West 4th Street turns northward at Sixth Avenue, it intersects 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th Streets in the West Village. The M8 bus operates on 10th Street in both directions between Avenue D and Avenue A, and eastbound between West Street and Sixth Avenue. 10th Street has an eastbound bike lane from West Street to the East River. In 2009, the two-way section of 10th Street between Avenue A and the East River had bicycle markings and sharrows installed, but it still has no dedicated bike lane. West 10th Street was previously named Amos Street for Charles Chistopher Amos, who is also the namesake of Charles Street and Christopher Street. The end of West 10th Street toward the Hudson River was once the home of Newgate Prison, New York City's first prison and the United States' second.) begins at the
11th Street is in two parts. It is interrupted by the block containing Grace Church between Broadway and Fourth Avenue. East 11th Street runs from Fourth Avenue to Avenue C and runs past Webster Hall. West 11th Street runs from Broadway to West Street. 11th Street and Sixth Avenue was the location of the Old Grapevine tavern from the 1700s to its demolition in the early 20th century.
12th Street is in two parts. Traffic on most of 12th Street runs from west to east. The first segment of West 12th Street runs southwest to northeast from West Street to Greenwich Street, then turns straight west to east. At Fifth Avenue, West 12th Street becomes East 12th Street, and ends at Avenue C. One block of 12th Street is for pedestrians only and resumes at Szold Place, which runs from north to south toward 10th Street as a continuation of the flow of traffic from East 12th Street which runs east to west from Avenue D to Szold Place.
Additionally, Little West 12th Street runs parallel to West 13th Street from West Street to the northeast corner of Ninth Avenue and Gansevoort Street.
13th Street is in three parts. The first runs from Avenue C to Avenue D. The second starts at a dead end, just before Avenue B, and runs to Greenwich Avenue, and the third part is from Eighth Avenue to Tenth Avenue.
|10th Street||FDR Drive||West Street||2.1 mi (3.4 km)|
|11th Street||Avenue C||West Street||1.7 mi (2.8 km)|
|12th Street||Avenue C||West Street||1.9 mi (3.1 km)|
|13th Street||Avenue C||Avenue D||0.19 mi (0.3 km)|
|13th Street||dead end (Av B)||Tenth Avenue||1.9 mi (3 km)|
14th Street is a main numbered street in Manhattan. It begins at Avenue C and ends at West Street. Its length is 3.4 km (2.1 mi). It has six subway stations:
From Avenue A or Avenue C to West Street there is service M14AD bus.
Traffic on 15th Street moves from east to west. The street formerly started at the FDR Drive, but most of the street between the Drive and Avenue C was permanently closed, as was the 15th Street exit from the Drive, after the September 11 attacks, due to the presence of the Con Edison East River Generating Station there. Only Con Edison personnel have access to the closed portion.
The street is then interrupted by Stuyvesant Town from Avenue C to First Avenue. It then continues to Union Square East (Park Avenue South) where it is interrupted by Union Square It picks up again at Union Square West, and continues unimpeded to Eleventh Avenue at the Hudson River.
Sights along 15th Street include: the southern border of Stuyvesant Square; the landmarked Friends Meeting House and Seminary at Rutherford Place; Irving Plaza at Irving Place; the Daryl Roth Theatre in the landmarked Union Square Savings Bank Building, across the street from the Zeckendorf Towers at Union Square East; the Google Building between Eighth and Ninth Avenues; Chelsea Market, between Ninth and Tenth Avenues; and the High Line near Tenth Avenue.
15th Street is 1.9 mi (3 km) in length.
Traffic on 16th Street moves from west to east. It starts at Eleventh Avenue at the Hudson River, and runs until it is interrupted at UnionSquare West (Broadway) by Union Square. It picks up again on the other side of the park at Union Square East (Park Avenue South), but is shortly stopped again by Stuyvesant Square from between Second and Third Avenues (Rutherford Place) to between First and Second Avenues (Perlman Place). At First Avenue, it is interrupted by Stuyvesant Town, and starts up again at Avenue C. It then dead ends between that avenue and the FDR Drive.
Sights on 16th Street include: the High Line near Tenth Avenue; Chelsea Market between Ninth and Tenth Avenues; the Google Building between Eighth and Ninth Avenues; the row houses at 5, 7, 9, 17, 19, 21 & 23 West 16th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues; the Bank of the Metropolis at Union Square West; and St. George's Church at Rutherford Place.
16th Street is 1.8 mi (2.9 km) long.
17th, 18th and 19th Streets start at First Avenue and finish at Eleventh Avenue.
On 17th Street ( It forms the northern borders of both Union Square (between Broadway and Park Avenue South) and Stuyvesant Square. Composer Antonín Dvořák's New York home was located at 327 East 17th Street, near Perlman Place. The house was razed by Beth Israel Medical Center after it received approval of a 1991 application to demolish the house and replace it with an AIDS hospice. Time Magazine was started at 141 East 17th Street.), traffic runs one way along the street, from east to west excepting the stretch between Broadway and Park Avenue South, where traffic runs in both directions.
18th Street has a local subway station at the crossing with Seventh Avenue, served by the 1 and 2 trains on the IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line. There used to be an 18th Street station on the IRT Lexington Avenue Line at the crossing with Park Avenue South. This street is home to the IAC Building, designed by Frank Gehry.
On the part of 19th Street between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues, the travel direction is different.
|17th Street||First Avenue||Eleventh Avenue||1.6 mi (2.6 km)|
|18th Street||First Avenue||Eleventh Avenue||1.6 mi (2.6 km)|
|19th Street||First Avenue||Eleventh Avenue||1.6 mi (2.6 km)|
20th Street starts at Avenue C, and 21st and 22nd Streets begin at First Avenue. They all end at Eleventh Avenue. Travel on the last block of the 20th, 21st and 22nd Streets, between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues, is in the opposite direction than it is on the rest of the respective street. 20th Street is very wide from the Avenue C to First Avenue.
Along the southern perimeter of Gramercy Park, between Gramercy Park East and Gramercy Park West, 20th Street is known as Gramercy Park South.
Between Second and Third Avenues, 21st Street is alternatively known as Police Officer Anthony Sanchez Way. Along the northern perimeter of Gramercy Park, between Gramercy Park East and Gramercy Park West, 21st Street is known as Gramercy Park North.
|20th Street||FDR Drive||Eleventh Avenue||1.9 mi (3.1 km)|
|21st Street||First Avenue||Eleventh Avenue||1.7 mi (2.7 km)|
|22nd Street||First Avenue||Eleventh Avenue||1.7 mi (2.7 km)|
23rd Street is another main numbered street in Manhattan. It begins at Avenue C/FDR Drive and ends at Eleventh Avenue. Its length is 3.1 km/1.9m. It has two-way travel. On 23rd Street there are five local subway stations:
24th Street is in two parts. 24th Street starts at First Avenue and it ends at Madison Avenue, because of Madison Square Park. 25th Street, which is in three parts, starts at FDR Drive, is a pedestrian plaza between Third Avenue and Lexington Avenue, and ends at Madison. Then West 24th and 25th Streets continue from Fifth Avenue to Eleventh Avenue (25th) or Twelfth Avenue (24th).
26th Street is all in one part and after reaching FDR Drive bends and runs parallel to FDR Drive up to 30th Street.
27th Street is a one-way street that runs from Second Avenue to the West Side Highway with an interruption between Eighth Avenue and Tenth Avenue. It is most noted for its strip between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues, known as Club Row because it features numerous nightclubs and lounges.
Some of the most notable venues are Bungalow 8, Marquee, Suzie Wong, Cain, and Pink Elephant. Since 2011, starting at 530 W. 27th and continuing down almost the entire rest of the block, the former warehouse spaces of clubs Twilo, Guesthouse, Home, Bed, and more have been repurposed by British immersive theater group Punchdrunk as The McKittrick Hotel, the site of their theatrical experience Sleep No More.
Heading east, 27th Street passes through Chelsea Park between Tenth and Ninth Avenues, with the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) on the corner of Eighth. On Madison Avenue between 26th and 27th streets, on the site of the old Madison Square Garden, is the New York Life Building, built in 1928 and designed by Cass Gilbert, with a square tower topped by a striking gilded pyramid. Twenty-Seventh Street passes one block north of Madison Square Park and culminates at Bellevue Hospital on First Avenue.
|24th Street||First Avenue||Madison Avenue||0.56 mi (0.9 km)|
|24th Street||Fifth Avenue||Twelfth Avenue||1.2 mi (1.9 km)|
|25th Street||FDR Drive||Madison Avenue||0.75 mi (1.2 km)|
|25th Street||Fifth Avenue||Eleventh Avenue||1.1 mi (1.7 km)|
|26th Street||30th Street/FDR Drive||Twelfth Avenue||2.2 mi (3.5 km)|
|27th Street||Second Avenue||Eighth Avenue||1.1 mi (1.7 km)|
|27th Street||Ninth Avenue||Twelfth Avenue||0.50 mi (0.8 km)|
Three local subway stations:
31st Street begins on the West Side at the West Side Yard, while 32nd Street, which includes a segment officially known as Korea Way between Fifth Avenue and Broadway in Manhattan's Koreatown, begins at the entrance to Penn Station and Madison Square Garden. On the East Side, both streets end at Second Avenue at Kips Bay Towers and NYU Medical Center which occupy the area between 30th and 34th Streets. The Catholic church of St. Francis of Assisi is situated at 135–139 West 31st Street. At 210 West is the Capuchin Monastery of St. John the Baptist, part of St. John the Baptist Church on 30th Street. At the corner of Broadway and West 31st Street is the Grand Hotel. The former Hotel Pierrepont was located at 43 West 32nd Street, The Continental NYC tower is at the corner of Sixth Avenue and 32nd Street. 29 East 32nd Street was the location of the first building owned by the Grolier Club between 1890 and 1917.
A section of East 58th Streetbetween Lexington and Second Avenues is known as Designers' Way and features a number of high-end interior design and decoration establishments, including
The Mount Vernon Hotel Museum, one of only eight surviving pre-1800 buildings in Manhattan, is located at 421 East 61st Street. The Pierre, a luxury hotel opened in 1930, is at 2 East 61st Street, at the intersection with Fifth Avenue. The Gateway School, an independent school for children aged 5 to 14 with learning disabilities, is located at 211 West 61st Street. The Consulate-General of Russia in New York City was opened at 7–9 East 61st Street in 1933 and closed in 1948.
As with all of Manhattan's numbered streets from 60th to 109th Street, 80th Street is divided by Central Park into eastern and western sections. Traffic on 80th Street, on both sides of the park, runs west to east.
West 80th Street begins at Riverside Drive on the Upper West Side, then passes West End Avenue, Broadway, and Amsterdam Avenue, then stops at Columbus Avenue when it reaches the grounds on the American Museum of Natural History.
Significant buildings on West 80th Street include those in the Riverside Drive–West 80th–81st Street Historic District, on both sides of the street's block between Riverside Drive and West End Avenue, such as the "Gothicesque" row houses at 307–317 West 80th Street designed by Charles H. Israels, and those at 319–323 West 80th Street designed by Clarence F. True. True also designed the "vaguely Georgian" 328 West 80th Street on the same block, which also contains George F. Pelham II's 411 West End Avenue, an Art Deco apartment building.
East 80th Street begins at Fifth Avenue on the Upper East Side and continues past Madison, Park, Lexington, and Third, where it enters the section of the Upper East Side called Yorkville. It then continues past Second, First, York and East End Avenues before dead-ending at the FDR Drive.
Significant buildings on East 80th Street include the American Irish Historical Society at 991 Fifth Avenue; the houses of Franklyn and Edna Woolworth and her two sisters at 2, 4, and 6 East 80th Street, built by F. W. Woolworth and designed by C. P. H. Gilbert; the postmodern 45 East 80th Street at Madison Avenue, designed by Liebman Liebman & Associates; the raw concrete 1967 Manhattan Church of Christ by Eggers & Higgins; 52 East 80th Street between Madison and Park, built in the 1890s.
Also on East 80th Street are a number of houses between Park and Lexington, collectively referred to as the East 80th Street Houses, which are listed as such on the National Register of Historic Places, although they are separately designated as landmarks by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission: the Lewis Spencer and Emily Coster Morris House at 116 East 80th Street built in 1922–23 and designed by Cross & Cross; the George and Martha Whitney House at #120, built in 1929–30 and designed by the same firm; 124 East 80th Street, the neo-Georgian Clarence and Anne Douglas Dillon House of 1930, designed by Mott B. Schmidt; and the same designer's Vincent and Helen Astor House at #130, built in 1927–28 and now the Junior League of the City of New York. At 1157 Lexington Avenue is the 1932 Unitarian Church of All Souls, designed by Robert Upjohn.
In Yorktown, the c.1890 Hungarian Baptist Church is located at 225 East 80th between Second and Third Avenues; and the City University of New York administration building, which was originally the Welfare Island Dispensary, and then the New York City Board of Higher Education, is at 535 East 80th Street at East End Avenue, built in 1940.
90th Street is split into two segments. The first segment, West 90th Street begins at Riverside Drive and ends at Central Park West or West Drive, when it is open, in Central Park on the Upper West Side. The second segment of East 90th Street begins at East Drive, at Engineers Gate of Central Park. When East Drive is closed, East 90th Street begins at Fifth Avenue on the Upper East Side and curves to the right at the FDR Drive becoming East End Avenue. Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, is located on East 90th Street between Third Avenue and Second Avenue, across the street from Ruppert Towers (1601 and 1619 Third Avenue) and Ruppert Park. Asphalt Green, which is located on East 90th Street between York Avenue and East End Avenue.
97th Street is the site of the Park Avenue Tunnel and the northernmost transverse of Central Park. Metropolitan Hospital Center is located at First Avenue, and the Islamic Cultural Center of New York, the oldest mosque in New York City, is located at Third Avenue. The street hosts a year-round farmer's market Fridays mornings between Columbus Avenue and Amsterdam Avenue.
112th Street starts in Morningside Heights and runs from Riverside Drive to Amsterdam Avenue, where it meets the steps of the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. The street resumes at the eastern edge of Morningside Park and extends through Harlem before ending at First Avenue adjacent Thomas Jefferson Park in East Harlem. Notable locations include:
Morningside Heights, Harlem, and Spanish Harlem. It begins on Riverside Drive at the Interchurch Center. It then runs east between the campuses of Barnard College and the Union Theological Seminary, then crosses Broadway and runs between the campuses of Columbia University and Teacher's College. The street is interrupted by Morningside Park. It then continues east, eventually running along the southern edge of Marcus Garvey Park, passing by 58 West, the former residence of Maya Angelou. It then continues through Spanish Harlem; when it crosses Pleasant Avenue it becomes a two‑way street and continues nearly to the East River, where for automobiles, it turns north and becomes Paladino Avenue, and for pedestrians, continues as a bridge across FDR Drive.120th Street traverses the neighborhoods of
E 122nd Street runs four blocks (2,250 feet (690 m)) west from the intersection of Second Avenue and terminates at the intersection of Madison Avenue at Marcus Garvey Memorial Park. This segment runs in East Harlem and crosses portions of Third Avenue, Lexington, and Park (Fourth Avenue).
W 122nd Street runs six blocks (3,280 feet (1,000 m)) west from the intersection of Mount Morris Park West at Marcus Garvey Memorial Park and terminates at the intersection of Morningside Avenue at Morningside Park. This segment runs in the Mount Morris Historical District and crosses portions of Lenox Avenue (Sixth Avenue), Seventh Avenue, Frederick Douglass Boulevard (Eighth Avenue), and Manhattan Avenue.
W 122nd Street Seminary Row runs three blocks (1,500 feet (460 m)) west from the intersection of Amsterdam Avenue (Tenth Avenue) and terminates at the intersection of Riverside Drive. East of Amsterdam, Seminary Row bends south along Morningside Park and is resigned as Morningside Drive (Ninth Avenue). Seminary row runs in Morningside Heights, the district surrounding Columbia University, and crosses portions of Broadway and Claremont Avenue.
Seminary Row is named for the Union Theological Seminary and the Jewish Theological Seminary which it touches. Seminary Row also runs by the Manhattan School of Music, Riverside Church, Sakura Park, Grant's Tomb, and Morningside Park.
122nd Street is mentioned in the movie Taxi Driver by main character Travis Bickle as the location where a fellow cab driver is assaulted with a knife. The street and the surrounding neighborhood of Harlem is then referred to as "Mau Mau Land" by another character named Wizard, slang indicating it is a majority black area.
West Harlem that runs just two blocks between Amsterdam Avenue and Claremont Avenue. West of Convent Avenue, 125th Street was re-routed onto the old Manhattan Avenue. The original 125th Street west of Convent Avenue was swallowed up to make the super-blocks where the low income housing projects now exist. La Salle Street is the only vestige of the original routing.La Salle Street is a street in
Central Park and is located in Harlem just south of Hamilton Heights. The main portion of 132nd Street runs eastbound from Frederick Douglass Boulevard to northern end of Park Avenue where there is a southbound exit from/entrance to the Harlem River Drive. After an interruption from St. Nicholas Park and City College, there is another small stretch of West 132nd Street between Broadway and Twelfth Avenue132nd Street runs east–west above
The 132nd Street Community Garden is located on 132nd Street between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard and Malcolm X Boulevard. In 1997, the lot received a garden makeover; the Borough President's office funded the installation of a $100,000 water distribution system that keeps the wide variety of trees green. The garden also holds a goldfish pond and several benches. The spirit of the neighborhood lives in gardens like this one, planted and tended by local residents.
Two subway stations:
One local subway station:
One subway terminal:
155th Street is a major crosstown street considered to form the boundary between Harlem and Washington Heights. It is the northernmost of the 155 crosstown streets mapped out in the Commissioner's Plan of 1811 that established the numbered street grid in Manhattan.
155th Street starts on the West Side at Riverside Drive, crossing Broadway, Amsterdam Avenue and St. Nicholas Avenue. At St. Nicholas Place, the terrain drops off steeply, and 155th Street is carried on a 1,600-foot (490 m) long viaduct, a City Landmark constructed in 1893, that slopes down towards the Harlem River, continuing onto the Macombs Dam Bridge, crossing over (but not intersecting with) the Harlem River Drive. A separate, unconnected section of 155th Street runs under the viaduct, connecting Bradhurst Avenue and the Harlem River Drive.
One local subway station:
One local subway station:
A station complex with platforms for two subway lines:
One local subway station:
181st Street is a major thoroughfare running through the Washington Heights neighborhood. It runs from the Washington Bridge in the east, to the Henry Hudson Parkway in the west, near the George Washington Bridge and the Hudson River. The west end is called Plaza Lafayette.
West of Fort Washington Avenue, 181st Street is largely residential, bordering Hudson Heights and having a few shops to serve the local residents. East of Fort Washington Avenue, the street becomes increasingly commercial, becoming dominated entirely by retail stores where the street reaches Broadway and continues as such until reaching the Harlem River. It is the area's major shopping district.
181st Street is served by two New York City Subway lines; there is a 181st Street station at Fort Washington Avenue on the IND Eighth Avenue Line (A train) and a 181st Street station at St. Nicholas Avenue on the IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line (1 train). The stations are about 500 metres (550 yd) from each other and are not connected. The George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal is a couple of blocks south on Fort Washington Avenue. 181st Street is also the last south/west exit in New York on the Trans-Manhattan Expressway (I-95), just before crossing the George Washington Bridge to New Jersey.
187th Street crosses Washington Heights, running from Laurel Hill Terrace in the east to Chittenden Avenue in the west near the George Washington Bridge and overlooking the West Side Highway and the Hudson River. The street is interrupted by a long set of stairs between Overlook Terrace in the Broadway valley and Fort Washington Avenue. West of the stairs is a one-block shopping street serving the Hudson Heights neighborhood.
187th Street intersects with, from east to west, Laurel Hill Terrace, Amsterdam Avenue, Audubon Avenue, St. Nicholas Avenue, Wadsworth Avenue, Broadway, Bennett Avenue, Overlook Terrace, Fort Washington Avenue, Pinehurst Avenue, Cabrini Boulevard and Chittenden Avenue.
The many institutions on 187th Street include Mount Sinai Jewish Center, the Dombrov Shtiebel, and the uptown campus of Yeshiva University. The local public elementary and middle school P.S./M.S. 187 is located on Cabrini Boulevard, just north of 187th Street 
One local subway station:
One local subway station:
Manhattan has no streets numbered 194th, 195th, 197th, 198th, 199th, or 200th. The Dyckman Street station was formerly called "Dyckman Street–200th Street", but there has never been a street in Manhattan with that number.
Two local subway stations:
Manhattan has no streets numbered 209th or 210th.
One local subway station:
Manhattan has no streets numbered 221st, 222nd, 223rd, or 224th.
One local subway station:
Manhattan has no street numbered 226th.
137th Street may refer to:
137th Street, a street in Manhattan, King's County, New York City, New York State, USA; see List of numbered streets in Manhattan
137th Street (Metra), another name for Riverdale (Metra station) just south of the city of Chicago
137th Street Yard, an underground rail yard on Manhattan, New York County, New York City, New York State, USA; see List of New York City Subway yards
137th Street – City College (IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line), a New York City subway station14th Street (Manhattan)
14th Street is a major crosstown street in the New York City borough of Manhattan. Presently primarily a shopping street, in the earlier history of New York City 14th Street was an upscale location, but it lost its glamor and status as the city grew northward.
At Broadway, 14th Street forms the southern boundary of Union Square. It is also considered the northern boundary of Greenwich Village, Alphabet City, and the East Village, and the southern boundary of Chelsea, Flatiron/Lower Midtown, and Gramercy.
14th Street marks the southern terminus of Manhattan's grid system. North of 14th Street, the streets make up a near-perfect grid that runs in numerical order. South of 14th, the grid continues in the East Village almost perfectly, but not so in Greenwich Village, where an older and less uniform grid plan applies.51st Street (Manhattan)
51st Street is a 1.9-mile (3.1 km) long one-way street traveling east to west across Midtown Manhattan.55th Street (Manhattan)
55th Street is a two-mile-long, one-way street traveling east to west across Midtown Manhattan.Bond Street (Manhattan)
Bond Street is a cobblestone street that runs east to west, between Broadway and Bowery, in the NoHo neighborhood of Lower Manhattan, New York City.Chatham Square
Chatham Square is a major intersection in Chinatown, Manhattan, New York City. The square lies at the confluence of eight streets: the Bowery, Doyers Street, East Broadway, St. James Place, Mott Street, Oliver Street, Worth Street and Park Row. The small park in the center of the square is known as Kimlau Square and Lin Ze Xu Square.Chrystie Street
Chrystie Street is a street on Manhattan's Lower East Side and Chinatown, running as a continuation of Second Avenue from Houston Street, for seven blocks south to Canal Street. It is bounded on the east for its entirety by Sara Delano Roosevelt Park, for the creation of which the formerly built-up east side of Chrystie Street (the even numbers) was razed, eliminating among other structures three small synagogues. Originally called First Street, it was renamed for Col. John Chrystie, a veteran of the War of 1812 and a member of the Philolexian Society of Columbia University, and a new First Street was laid out above Houston Street.Fulton Street (Manhattan)
Fulton Street is a busy street located in Lower Manhattan in New York City. Located in the Financial District, a few blocks north of Wall Street, it runs from Church Street at the site of the World Trade Center to South Street, terminating in front of the South Street Seaport. The easternmost block is a pedestrian street. After the World Trade Center construction is completed, it will extend to West Street.
The street has a Beaux-Arts architectural feel with many buildings dating back to the Gilded Age or shortly thereafter. The early 19th-century buildings on the south side of the easternmost block are called Schermerhorn Row and are collectively listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Hester Street (Manhattan)
Hester Street is a street in the Lower East Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan.
The street stretches from Essex Street to Centre Street, with a discontinuity between Chrystie Street and Forsyth Street for Sara Delano Roosevelt Park. There is also a discontinuity at Allen Street, which was created in 2009 with the rebuilding of the Allen Street Mall. At Centre Street, Hester Street shifts about 100 feet (30 m) to the north and is called Howard Street to its far western terminus at Mercer Street.Hudson Street (Manhattan)
Hudson Street is a north–south oriented street in the New York City borough of Manhattan running from Tribeca to the south, through Hudson Square and Greenwich Village, to the Meatpacking District.Manhattan address algorithm
The Manhattan address algorithm refers to the formulas used to estimate the closest east–west cross street for building numbers on north–south avenues in the New York City borough of Manhattan.Orchard Street
Orchard Street is a street in Manhattan which covers the eight city blocks between Division Street in Chinatown and East Houston Street on the Lower East Side. Vehicular traffic runs north on this one-way street. Orchard Street starts from Division Street in the south and ends at East Houston Street in the north..Roosevelt Street
Roosevelt Street was a street located in the Two Bridges district of Lower Manhattan, which existed from the British colonial period up until the early 1950s, running from Pearl Street at Park Row southeast to South Street. It ran parallel to James Street. The western end of Roosevelt Street later became the walkway from Park Row to the front entrance of the Chatham Green Apartments at 165 Park Row.Sullivan Street
Sullivan Street is a street in Lower Manhattan, which previously ran north from Duarte Square at Canal Street, but since around 2012 begins at Broome Street, to Washington Square South, through the neighborhoods of Hudson Square, SoHo, the South Village and Greenwich Village. It runs parallel to and between Macdougal Street (to the west) and Thompson Street (to the east). Part of the street is in the MacDougal–Sullivan Gardens Historic District. The street was named for Revolutionary War Major General John Sullivan.
Notable places include 83 and 85 Sullivan Street; 116 Sullivan Street; Vesuvio Playground at Spring Street, a neighborhood park, formerly named Thompson Street Playground; and St. Anthony of Padua Church (Manhattan) 155 Sullivan Street, near the corner of Houston Street.
Notable residents include Vincent Gigante; Fiorello LaGuardia, three-term Mayor of New York City, who was born at 177 Sullivan Street; and Anna Wintour; Edgard Varèse and his wife Louise lived at no. 188.Theatre Alley
Theatre Alley is a block long cobblestone alley in Manhattan's Financial District between Nassau and Centre Streets. It is one of Manhattan's few alleys that is not privately owned, and prior to construction adjacent to the alley c. 2010, it was "dank and claustrophobic".The alley was named for adjacent Park Theatre, which burned down in 1848. According to Forgotten NY, it was New York's first one-way street, created to alleviate traffic jams caused by horse-drawn carriages arriving at the theater.Vandam Street
Vandam Street is a street in the Hudson Square neighborhood of Lower Manhattan in New York City. It runs east to west from Sixth Avenue to Greenwich Street.Varick Street
Varick Street runs north-south primarily in the Hudson Square district of Lower Manhattan in New York City. Varick Street's northern terminus is in the West Village, where it is a continuation of Seventh Avenue South south of Clarkson Street. It continues downtown through Hudson Square and TriBeCa until it reaches Leonard Street, where it merges with West Broadway. Motor traffic is one-way southbound. Major east-west streets crossed include Houston Street and Canal Street. Approaching Broome Street, the two rightmost lanes of Varick Street are reserved for traffic entering the Holland Tunnel, where backups often occur at rush hour.Washington Mews
Washington Mews is a private gated street in New York City between Fifth Avenue and University Place just north of Washington Square Park. Along with MacDougal Alley and Stuyvesant Street, it was originally part of a Lenape trail which connected the Hudson and East Rivers, and was first developed as a mews (row of stables) that serviced horses from homes in the area. Since the 1950s the former stables have served as housing, offices and other facilities for New York University.William Street (Manhattan)
William Street is a street in the Financial District of Lower Manhattan, New York City. It runs generally southwest to northeast, crossing Wall Street and terminating at Broad Street and Spruce Street, respectively. Between Beaver Street and Broad Street, the street is known as South William Street. Between Beekman Street and Spruce Street, in front of New York Downtown Hospital, William Street is pedestrian-only.
Streets of Manhattan