Lisburn (/ˈlɪz.bərn/ or /ˈlɪs.bərn/) is a city in Northern Ireland. It is 8 mi (13 km) southwest of Belfast city centre, on the River Lagan, which forms the boundary between County Antrim and County Down. Lisburn is part of the Belfast Metropolitan Area. It had a population of 71,465 people in the 2011 Census.
Formerly a borough, Lisburn was granted city status in 2002 as part of Queen Elizabeth II's Golden jubilee celebrations. It is the third-largest city in Northern Ireland. Lisburn is one of the constituent cities that make up the Dublin-Belfast corridor region which has a population of just under 3 million.
Irish Linen Museum and Christ Church Cathedral
|Population||120,465 surrounding areas|
|• Belfast||8 miles|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Northern Ireland|
The town was originally known as Lisnagarvy (also spelt Lisnagarvey or Lisnagarvagh) after the townland in which it formed. This is derived from Irish Lios na gCearrbhach, meaning 'ringfort of the gamesters/gamblers'.
The origin of the town's current name is uncertain. The modern spelling Lisburn first appears in a January 1662 entry in church records. After February 1662, the name Lisnagarvy is no longer found in the records. One theory is that it comes from the Irish lios ('ringfort') and the Scots burn ('stream'). Another theory is that -burn refers to the burning of the town during the Irish Rebellion of 1641, but this is deemed unlikely. In his book Lisburn Cathedral and Its Past Rectors (1926), Reverend WP Carmody writes "This seems to be most improbable; after twenty years the burning would be a memory, and the loyal people of the town would not be disposed to give it a name that would be forever reminiscent of its destruction by rebels". There is evidence that the name existed even at the time of the rebellion. In the depositions concerning the rebellion, an English soldier stated on 9 June 1653 that the rebels entered the town of Lisnagarvy at "a place called Louzy Barne". Carmody believes that, in the town's early days, there were two co-existing ringforts: Lisnagarvy to the north and Lisburn to the south. He suggests that both names come from Irish and concludes: "Lisburn, being shorter and more easily pronounced by the English settlers, became the familiar name and Lisnagarvey gradually dropped out".
The original name is still used in the titles of some local schools and sports teams.
Lisburn's original site was a fort located north of modern-day Wallace Park. In 1609 James I granted Sir Fulke Conway, a Welshman of Norman descent, the lands of Killultagh in southwest County Antrim. During the 1620s the streets of Lisburn were laid out just as they are today: Market Square, Bridge Street, Castle Street and Bow Street. Conway brought over many English and Welsh settlers during the Ulster Plantation; he also had a manor house built on what is now Castle Gardens, and in 1623, a church on the site of the current cathedral. In 1628, Sir Edward Conway, brother to the now deceased Sir Fulke, obtained a charter from King Charles I granting the right to hold a weekly market. This is still held in the town every Tuesday. The Manor House was destroyed in the accidental fire of 1707 and was never rebuilt; the city's Latin motto, Ex igne resurgam ("Out of the fire I shall arise"), is a reference to this incident.
Lisburn is also known as the birthplace of Ireland's linen industry, which was established in 1698 by Louis Crommelin and other Huguenots. An exhibition about the Irish linen industry is now housed in the Irish Linen Centre, which can be found in the old Market House in Market Square.
In 1920, disturbances related to the ongoing Irish War of Independence saw almost all of Lisburn's Catholic businesses burned out and many of the town's Catholic population forced to flee. The town was one of the first to recruit special constables, who went on to become part of Northern Ireland's Ulster Special Constabulary.
Between 1954 and 1992 Lisburn contained the operational headquarters of No 31 Belfast Group Royal Observer Corps who operated from a protected nuclear bunker on Knox Road within Thiepval Barracks. Converted from a 1940s Anti-aircraft Operations Room (AAOR), the bunker would support over one hundred ROC volunteers and a ten-man United Kingdom Warning and Monitoring Organisation warning team responsible for the four-minute warning in the event of a nuclear strike on the UK. The ROC would also have detected radioactive fallout from the nuclear bursts and warned the public of approaching fallout.
The two organisations were disbanded in 1992 at the end of the Cold War. In 2007 a commemorative plaque was mounted on the wall of the nuclear bunker which still stands, in recognition of the service of ROC volunteers in Northern Ireland.
The north and south divide in Lisburn can be seen either side of the railway line that goes through the centre of the city. North Lisburn is home to many of the residential neighbourhoods, and contains the notable landmarks of the Theipval Barracks, and the Laurelhill Sportszone.
The councillors elected in the 2014 election for the city are:
|Figures after 1971 are the census figures for Lisburn City Council, which covered a larger area than the former county borough.|
Lisburn is notable for its large number of churches, with 132 churches listed in the Lisburn City Council area. One of two cathedrals in the Church of Ireland Diocese of Connor is in Lisburn, Christ Church Cathedral.
Lisburn railway station was opened on 12 August 1839. The railway remains a popular means of transport between Lisburn and Belfast, with the express trains taking 10–15 minutes to reach Belfast's Great Victoria Street. The train also links the city directly with Newry, Portadown, Lurgan, Moira and Bangor. The station also has services to Dublin Connolly in the city of Dublin, with three trains per day stopping at the station. All railway services from the station are provided by Northern Ireland Railways, a subsidiary of Translink. The city is also served by Hilden railway station.
The city has a favourable position on the Belfast-Dublin corridor, being connected with the former by the M1 motorway from which it can be accessed through junctions 3, 6, 7 and 8. The A1 road to Newry and Dublin deviates from the M1 at the Sprucefield interchange, which is positioned one mile southeast of the city centre. An inner orbital route was formed throughout the 1980s which has permitted the city centre to operate a one-way system as well as the pedestrianisation of the Bow Street shopping precinct. In addition to this, a feeder road leading from Milltown on the outskirts of Belfast to Ballymacash in north Lisburn, was opened in 2006. This route connects with the A512 and permits traffic from Lisburn to easily access the M1 at junction 3 (Dunmurry) thus relieving pressure on the southern approaches to the city.
The Lagan Canal passes through Lisburn. This connected the port of Belfast to Lough Neagh, reaching Lisburn in 1763 (although the full route to Lough Neagh was not complete until 1793). Prior to World War II the canal was an important transportation route for goods, averaging over 307,000 tons of coal per year in the 1920s. Following competition from road transport, the canal was formally closed to navigation in 1958, and grew derelict. A short stretch and lock in front of Lisburn Council offices was restored to use in 2001.
Lisburn has become one of the main towns/cities in Northern Ireland for shopping.
Bow Street Mall, on Bow Street, houses over 70 stores, many eateries (including a food court) and a multi-storey car park with over 1000 spaces. The nearby pedestrianised city centre has numerous local independent shops such as McCalls of Lisburn, Smyth Patterson & Greens Foodfare, as well as many national and high street fashion stores. Lisburn Square, located off Bow Street, is an almost outdoor shopping centre. It houses many high street stores as well as bars, restaurants and cafes.
Sprucefield Shopping Centre and Sprucefield Retail Park are two large retail parks located about 2 minutes from the city centre. The first of its kind in Northern Ireland, it has become very popular with residents from all over Northern Ireland, and from as far away as Dublin. This is mainly due to its favourable position on the Belfast-Dublin corridor. It houses many warehouse type stores including B&Q, Toys'R'Us and Marks and Spencer.
The local area code, like the rest of Northern Ireland is 028. However all local 8-digit subscriber numbers are found in the form 92xx-xxxx. Before the Big Number Change in 2000, the STD code for Lisburn and its surrounding area was 01846, having previously been 0846.
As with the rest of the British Isles, Lisburn experiences a maritime climate with cool summers and mild winters. The nearest official Met Office weather station for which online records are available is at Hillsborough, about 3 miles south south west of the city centre.
Averaged over the period 1971–2000 the warmest day of the year at Hillsborough will reach 24.3 °C (75.7 °F), although 9 out of 10 years should record a temperature of 25.1 °C (77.2 °F) or above.
Typically annual rainfall falls just short of 900 mm, with at least 1 mm falling on 154 days of the year.
The main hospital in the city is the Lagan Valley Hospital, which provides Accident and Emergency services to the area. The hospital lost its acute services in 2006. Residents now must travel to Belfast for acute surgery. The Lagan Valley lost its 24-hour A&E from 1 August 2011 due to a shortage of Junior Doctors. It will now instead be open 9am-8pm and will be closed on weekends. This has caused much controversy as residents of the city will now have to travel to Belfast or Craigavon. Primary care in the area is provided by the Lisburn Health Centre, which opened in 1977. The city lies within the South Eastern Health and Social Care Board area, formerly known as Down and Lisburn Trust.
In November 2012 the Award of 2013 European City of Sport was officially handed over to Lisburn at a presentation ceremony at the European Parliament in Brussels.
On 15 June 1988 an unmarked military van carrying six British Army soldiers was blown up by the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) at Market Place in Lisburn, Northern Ireland. The explosion took place at the end of a charity marathon run in which the soldiers had participated. All six soldiers were killed in the attack – four outright, one on his way to hospital and another later on in hospital.
Lisburn is the headquarters of the British Army in Northern Ireland. Four of the dead were from the Royal Corps of Signals regiment whilst the other two were from the Green Howards and Royal Army Ordnance Corps regiments respectively. A booby-trap bomb was hidden under the Ford Transit van in which the soldiers were travelling, and was designed in such a way that the blast went upwards to cause maximum damage to the vehicle. Eleven civilian bystanders were injured, including a two-year-old child and 80-year-old man.
The bombing is sometimes referred to as the Lisburn "Fun Run" bombing.2014 Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council election
The first election to Lisburn and Castlereagh city Council, part of the Northern Ireland local elections on 22 May 2014, returned 40 members to the newly-formed council via Single Transferable Vote. The Democratic Unionist Party won half of the seats.BT postcode area
The BT postcode area, also known as the Belfast postcode area, covers all of Northern Ireland and was the last part of the United Kingdom to be coded, between 1970 and 1974.With a population of over 1.8 million people, BT is the second most populous UK postcode area, after the B postcode area (Birmingham, 1.9 million).Broomhedge
Broomhedge is a small village in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, near Lisburn, approximately 12 miles (19 km) southwest of Belfast. It lies within the Lisburn City Council area, and the Maghaberry electoral ward.Lisburn (UK Parliament constituency)
Lisburn was a United Kingdom Parliament constituency, in Ireland, returning one MP. It was an original constituency represented in Parliament when the Union of Great Britain and Ireland took effect on 1 January 1801.Lisburn City Council
Lisburn City Council was a city council covering an area partly in County Antrim and partly in County Down in Northern Ireland. As of May 2015 it was merged with Castlereagh Borough Council as part of the reform of local government in Northern Ireland to become Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council.
Created in 1964, the council was the second largest in the Belfast Metropolitan Area. Council headquarters were in the city of Lisburn. It was the second-largest council area in Northern Ireland with over 120,000 people and an area of 174 square miles (450 km2) of southwest Antrim and northwest Down. It stretched from Glenavy and Dundrod in the north to Dromara and Hillsborough in the south and from Drumbo in the east to Moira and Aghalee in the west.
The council area consisted of five electoral areas: Downshire, Dunmurry Cross, Killultagh, Lisburn Town North and Lisburn Town South. It had 30 councillors, last elected in 2011. The final composition was: 14 Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), 5 Ulster Unionist Party (UUP), 5 Sinn Féin, 3 Alliance Party and 3 Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP).
For elections to the Westminster Parliament, the council area was split between the Lagan Valley constituency, Belfast West and South Antrim constituencies.The first elections for the new council took place in May 2014.Lisburn Distillery F.C.
Lisburn Distillery Football Club is a Northern Irish, intermediate football club who are based in Ballyskeagh, County Down and play in the NIFL Premier Intermediate League.Lisburn West railway station
Lisburn West is a proposed railway station planned for the Knockmore area of Lisburn, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It would serve the Belfast–Newry railway line between Lisburn and Moira and possibly the Lisburn–Antrim railway line if it is reopened in the future.Lisburn and Castlereagh
Lisburn and Castlereagh is a local government district in Northern Ireland. The district was created on 1 April 2015. It consists of the combined area of the City of Lisburn with the Borough of Castlereagh, but not including "the localities of Gilnahirk, Tullycarnet, Braniel, Castlereagh, Merok, Cregagh, Wynchurch, Glencregagh and Belvoir, Collin Glen, Poleglass, Lagmore, Twinbrook, Kilwee and Dunmurry" which transferred to Belfast. The local authority is Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council.Lisburn–Antrim line
The Lisburn–Antrim line is a 20-mile (32 km) railway line of Northern Ireland Railways. It links Knockmore Junction on the Belfast–Newry line with Antrim on the Belfast–Derry line. It has been closed to passenger service since 2003.Lisnagarvey
Lisnagarvey or Lisnagarvy (from Irish Lios na gCearrbhach, meaning 'fort of the gamester ') is a townland in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. Lisnagarvey is also the original name of Lisburn.The townland was named after an earthen ringfort (lios), which was in the area of present-day "Fort Hill" in Lisburn. Today, most of the north-eastern part of Lisburn is within Lisnagarvey townland. Its eastern boundary is the River Lagan, its southern boundary is Governor's Road and its western boundary is Antrim Street/Antrim Road. It includes Wallace Park, Christ Church Cathedral and Thompson House Hospital.
The name has been used for Lisnagarvey High School, Lisnagarvey Hockey Club and Lisnagarvey transmitting station, although none of these are within the townland itself. When David Trimble, the former First Minister, was created a peer, he took the title Baron Trimble, of Lisnagarvey in the County of Antrim.
Lisnagarvey was the site of a defeat of the mostly Scottish Royalists at the hands of the Parliamentarians in 1649.Longkesh
Longkesh is a small village in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, near Lisburn. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 201 people. It is situated in the Lisburn City Council area.Lower Ballinderry
Lower Ballinderry is a small village to the west of Upper Ballinderry in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It is within the townland and civil parish of Ballinderry and the historic barony of Massereene Upper. The village lies a short distance to the southeast of Portmore Lough (a.k.a. Lough Beg) and Lough Neagh, 12 km to the west of Lisburn. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 441 people. It is part of the Lisburn City Council area.
The village sits at a crossroads that linked the medieval church site of Aghagallon (Ballinderry Old Graveyard), and later to the Plantation site of Portmore Castle. The village has at its core Ballinderry Moravian Church, a listed building which along with other listed structures forms a distinct core to the settlement around the crossroads. It has a pre-eminently 18th century character, visible in buildings, in form and layout, and in the lime tree plantings.
The local primary school is Lower Ballinderry Primary School. There is an Ulsterbus service between Lower Ballinderry and Lisburn.Lower Broomhedge
Lower Broomhedge is a hamlet in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, near Lisburn. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 180 people. It lies within the Lisburn City Council area. It is usually considered part of Broomhedge itself rather than a separate village.Lurganure
Lurganure (from Irish: Lurga an Iubhair, meaning "long ridge of the yew") is a small village and townland in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It lies to the west of Lisburn and is separated from Mazetown by the River Lagan. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 441 people. It is in the Lisburn City Council area.
Once a year, Lurganure plays host to the Party Duck, which nearly doubles its population.Maghaberry
Maghaberry or Magaberry (pronounced mə-GAH-bree, from Irish: Maigh gCabraí, meaning "plain of poor land") is a village and townland in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It is 9 kilometres (5.6 mi) west of Lisburn and 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) north of Moira. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 1,690 people. It is one of the biggest villages within the Lisburn City Council area.Thiepval barracks bombing
The Thiepval Barracks bombing was a double car bomb attack carried out by the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) on 7 October 1996. The bombs exploded inside Thiepval Barracks, the British Army headquarters in Northern Ireland. One British soldier was killed and 31 people were injured. This bombing was the first major attack on a military base in Northern Ireland since the end of the IRA's ceasefire eight months earlier.Tullynacross
Tullynacross (from Irish: Tulaigh na Croise, meaning "hillock of the cross") is a small village in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, near Lambeg. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 159 people. It lies within the civil parish of Lambeg, the barony of Castlereagh Upper, and is situated within the Lagan Valley Regional Park and Lisburn City Council. Disambiguation Tullynacross (Glangevlin), a townland in County Cavan.Upper Ballinderry
Upper Ballinderry is a small village to the east of Lower Ballinderry in County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It is within the townland and civil parish of Ballinderry, the historic barony of Massereene Upper. and the Lisburn City Council area. Upper Ballinderry is about 10 miles (15 km) north- west of Lisburn. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 192 people.
It is a mill village, developed around a crossroads with a prominent church, mill building and estate. The A26 road bypasses the village to the east. Upper Ballinderry is situated on relatively flat land rising gradually to the east. The village has developed in a linear form on both sides of North Street and is contained by the Glenavy Road to the east and the disused railway line to the north. The original road has been realigned with the more recent Glenavy Road situated to the east of the earlier route.
Locally significant buildings include Ballinderry Parish Church (built 1824) and Glebe House, which are listed buildings, and Fruithill House, Rosevale, Oatland Cottage, Church View House, and converted mill buildings and outhouses.
|Climate data for Hillsborough 116 m asl, 1971–2000, Extremes 1960–2005 (Weather Station 3.0 Miles SSW of Lisburn)|
|Record high °C (°F)||14.7
|Average high °C (°F)||6.9
|Average low °C (°F)||1.4
|Record low °C (°F)||−12.2
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||88.87
|Republic of Ireland|
Italics denote settlements that are classed as towns but also have city status
Places in County Antrim
Places in County Down