Lisbon is a village in Center Township, Columbiana County, Ohio, United States. The population was 2,821 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Columbiana County. Lisbon is located in the Salem, OH Micropolitan Statistical Area, as well as the southern regions of the greater Mahoning Valley.
|Village of Lisbon|
Location of Lisbon in Columbiana County and in the State of Ohio
|• Mayor||Roger Gallo|
|• Total||1.69 sq mi (4.38 km2)|
|• Land||1.69 sq mi (4.38 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||968 ft (295 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,669.2/sq mi (644.5/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||330, 234|
|GNIS feature ID||1065006|
|School District||Lisbon Exempted Village|
New Lisbon was platted on February 16, 1803, by Lewis Kinney as the second town in Ohio, named after the Portuguese capital city of Lisbon. The village was incorporated under a special act of legislature on February 7, 1825. Originally known for its iron and whiskey production, New Lisbon became an economic hub of many sorts into the first industrial revolution. During this time, the village claimed the county’s first bank, the Columbiana Bank of New Lisbon, its first insurance company, and the first Ohio newspaper, The Ohio Patriot, founded by an Alsatian immigrant, William D. Lepper. The village was renamed to Lisbon in 1895.
Lisbon has the distinction of being the northernmost western town involved in military actions during the American Civil War. Confederate cavalry officer John Hunt Morgan surrendered to New Lisbon Milita forces in West Point at the end of Morgan's Raid into Ohio.
Lisbon is located at (40.773874, -80.767553).
The following highways pass through Lisbon:
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,821 people, 1,138 households, and 693 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,669.2 inhabitants per square mile (644.5/km2). There were 1,287 housing units at an average density of 761.5 per square mile (294.0/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 97.4% White, 1.1% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 0.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.2% of the population.
There were 1,138 households of which 30.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.4% were married couples living together, 13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.1% were non-families. 34.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.35 and the average family size was 3.00.
The median age in the village was 39.6 years. 23.1% of residents were under the age of 18; 9% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.3% were from 25 to 44; 28.1% were from 45 to 64; and 15.5% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 47.3% male and 52.7% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,788 people, 1,133 households, and 696 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,521.1 people per square mile (969.8/km²). There were 1,253 housing units at an average density of 1,133.0 per square mile (435.8/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 97.74% White, 0.90% African American, 0.22% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.29% from other races, and 0.61% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.61% of the population.
There were 1,133 households out of which 30.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.5% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.5% were non-families. 34.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the village, the population was spread out with 24.9% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 27.8% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 15.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 89.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $27,841, and the median income for a family was $36,707. Males had a median income of $29,271 versus $19,826 for females. The per capita income for the village was $14,097. About 10.1% of families and 14.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.4% of those under the age of 18 and 5.2% of those 65 years or over.
Children in Lisbon are served by the Lisbon Exempted Village School District. The current schools in the district are:
The school's athletic teams are known as the Blue Devils. The most heavily followed athletic programs at Lisbon's high school are football and basketball. Most notable is Lisbon's 1995 Division V State Championship in football, the only such championship in that sport ever to be held by a Columbiana County school. Other sports include track, swimming, golf, cross country, baseball, softball, volleyball, and cheerleading.
The Columbiana County Career and Technical Center is immediately south of city limits.
The Dulci-More Festival, a music festival dedicated to the Appalachian dulcimer and other traditional musical instruments, was inaugurated in 1995 and takes place each Memorial Day weekend at Camp McKinley, a Boy Scout camp near Lisbon. Lisbon also is the host city to the Columbiana County Johnny Appleseed Festival and Columbiana County Fair.
Andrew Williams Loomis (June 27, 1797 – August 24, 1873) was a U.S. Representative from Ohio.
Born in Lebanon, Connecticut, Loomis earned his law degree from Union College, Schenectady, New York, in 1819. He was admitted to the bar, and moved to Canton, Ohio to practice law. He then moved to New Lisbon (now Lisbon), Ohio. He served as delegate to the National-Republican State convention in 1827 and 1828.
Loomis was elected as a Whig to the Twenty-fifth Congress and served from March 4, 1837, until October 20, 1837, when he resigned. He moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in 1839 and resumed his legal practice. He served as member of the Peace Conference of 1861 held in Washington, D.C., in an effort to devise means to prevent the impending war. He moved to Cleveland, Ohio, about 1868. He died while on a visit to Cumberland, Maryland, August 24, 1873. He was interred in Allegheny Cemetery, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.Charles D. Coffin
Charles Dustin Coffin (September 9, 1805 – February 28, 1880) was a U.S. Representative from Ohio.
Born in Newburyport, Massachusetts, Coffin attended the public schools.
He moved with his parents to New Lisbon, Ohio.
He studied law.
He was admitted to the bar in September 1823 and commenced practice in New Lisbon.
He served as clerk of the courts of Columbiana County in 1828.
He was elected as a Whig to the Twenty-fifth Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Andrew W. Loomis and served from December 20, 1837, to March 3, 1839.
He declined to be a candidate for renomination in 1838.
He resumed the practice of law and engaged in banking.
He served as president of the Columbiana Bank of New Lisbon.
He moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1842 and continued the practice of law.
Coffin was elected judge of the superior court in 1845 and served seven years.
He was appointed to the same position by Governor Denison in 1861.
He died in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 28, 1880.
He was interred in Spring Grove Cemetery.Clement Vallandigham
Clement Laird Vallandigham ( ; July 29, 1820 – June 17, 1871) was an Ohio politician and leader of the Copperhead faction of anti-war Democrats during the American Civil War. He served two terms in the United States House of Representatives. In 1863, he was convicted at an Army court martial of opposing the war, and exiled to the Confederacy. He ran for governor of Ohio in 1863 from exile in Canada, but was defeated.Columbiana County Infirmary
The Columbiana County Infirmary is located near Lisbon, Ohio. The four building complex provided care for the poor and mentally ill of the county. In 1829, The county commissioners, on the belief that the best environment for the indigent population was farm labor, a farm consisting of 200 acres (81 ha) was purchased. By 1861 a large T-shaped building was constructed.The Infirmary is now closed. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in June 1979.Daniel McCook
Daniel McCook (June 20, 1798 – July 21, 1863) was an attorney and an officer in the Union army during the American Civil War. He was one of two Ohio brothers who, along with 13 of their sons, became widely known as the “Fighting McCooks” for their contributions to the war effort.Derek Wolfe
Derek Wolfe (born February 24, 1990) is an American football defensive end for the Denver Broncos of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at the University of Cincinnati. He was selected 36th overall by the Broncos in the 2012 NFL Draft.George Wythe McCook
George Wythe McCook (November 21, 1821 – December 28, 1877) was a lawyer, politician, and soldier from the state of Ohio in the United States. He was the Ohio Attorney General and an officer in the Union Army during the American Civil War. He was a member of the famed Fighting McCooks, a prominent military family that contributed more than a dozen officers to the war effort.Henry Christopher McCook
Henry Christopher McCook (July 3, 1837 – 1911) was an American Presbyterian clergyman, naturalist, and prolific author on religion, history, and nature. He was a member of the celebrated Fighting McCooks, a family of Ohio military officers and volunteers during the American Civil War.James D. Moffat
James David Moffat was the 3rd president of Washington & Jefferson College.Moffat, a native of New Lisbon, Ohio, was born on March 15, 1846. He spent his youth in St. Clairsville, Ohio and Bellaire, Ohio before working as a teacher and a bookkeeper. He entered Jefferson College in 1865 and graduated from Washington & Jefferson College in 1869. He studied at Princeton Theological Seminary from 1869-1871. Following ordination in 1873, he served as pastor in Wheeling, West Virginia. He received three Doctor of Laws degrees, one from the Western University of Pennsylvania in 1897, another from University of Pennsylvania in 1901, and another from the Missouri Valley College in 1906. Moffat received two honorary Doctor of Divinity degrees, one from Hanover College in 1882 and one from the College of New Jersey in 1883.He was elected the third president of Washington & Jefferson College on November 16, 1881. During his tenure, the college experienced a period of growth, including a threefold increase in the number of professors and new campus buildings.In 1884, the college purchased the land known as the "old fair ground," now used for Cameron Stadium, for the sum of $7,025. The student body agreed to contribute one dollar each term to finance the purchase. The college built a new gymnasium (now the Old Gym) in 1893; Hays Hall was completed in 1903; Thompson Memorial Library opened in 1905; and Thistle Physics Building was completed in 1912. In 1893, the campus installed an electric lighting system. In 1892, the Board of Trustees granted a request from the senior class that they be graduated in cap and gown, establishing that tradition at W&J for all future commencements.Moffat personally paid for the 1912 renovations of McMillan Hall. He resigned on January 1, 1915 after 33 years of service, citing his age of 68 years and the responsibilities of his office as factors in his retirement. At that time, he was one of the oldest college presidents in continuous service in the country, and his salary of $7,100 made him one of the highest paid presidents in the country. He died in his home in Washington, Pennsylvania on November 4, 1916 after a short illness.John C. Chaney
John Crawford Chaney (February 1, 1853 – April 26, 1940) was a U.S. Representative from Indiana.
Chaney was born near Lisbon, Ohio in 1854, and later moved to Lafayette Township, Indiana, with his parents, who settled on a farm near Fort Wayne. He attended the common schools, graduating first from Ascension Seminary, Farmersburg, Indiana, in 1874 and later from the Terre Haute Commercial College. He taught school and served as superintendent of schools for five years before graduating from the law school of Cincinnati University in June 1882. Chaney was admitted to the bar in 1883 and commenced practice in Sullivan, Indiana. He served as a member of the state central committee from the second district in 1884 and 1885. In July 1889, he was appointed by President Harrison as assistant to the Attorney General in the Department of Justice, serving in that position until August 1893, when he resigned and resumed the practice of law.
Chaney was elected as a Republican to the Fifty-ninth and Sixtieth Congresses (March 4, 1905-March 3, 1909) for Indiana's 2nd congressional district. He was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1908 to the Sixty-first Congress. After leaving the House, he continued the practice of law in Sullivan, Indiana, where he died on April 26, 1940. He was interred in Center Ridge Cemetery.John Hessin Clarke
John Hessin Clarke (September 18, 1857 – March 22, 1945) was an American lawyer and judge who served as an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court from 1916 to 1922.John Thomson (Ohio politician)
John Thomson (November 20, 1780 – December 2, 1852) was a United States Representative from Ohio.
Born in Ireland, Thomson immigrated with his parents to the United States in 1787.
He completed preparatory studies.
He studied medicine, and in 1806, he moved to New Lisbon, Ohio, and practiced.
He served in the Ohio Senate in 1814, 1815, and 1817–1820 and in the Ohio House of Representatives in 1816.
Thomson was elected to the Nineteenth Congress (March 4, 1825 – March 3, 1827).
He was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1826 to the Twentieth Congress.
Thomson was elected as a Jacksonian to the Twenty-first and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1829 – March 3, 1837).
He was not a candidate for renomination in 1836.
He resumed the practice of medicine.
He died in New Lisbon (now Lisbon), Columbiana County, Ohio, December 2, 1852.
He was interred in New Lisbon Cemetery.Lisbon Historic District
The Lisbon Historic District is located at the intersection of U.S. Route 30 and Ohio route 45 in Lisbon, Ohio. The district covers approximately 42 acres (17 ha).
The town of Lisbon was located along important land and water transportation routes from the east into newly settled territories in the west. As a result of this, Lisbon, the second oldest town in Ohio, played an important part in the development of Ohio, which had been granted statehood in 1803.The district features a number of commercial and residential buildings which were constructed during the period from 1810-1900. The buildings, examples of predominantly Federal architecture, were mostly constructed of brick. The historic district encompasses the original town square (pictured).The Lisbon Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in August 1979.Morning Journal
The Morning Journal is the name of a Lisbon, Ohio, newspaper circulated in Columbiana County, Ohio, and environs.Reasin Beall
Reasin Beall (December 3, 1769 – February 20, 1843) was an American politician. He was an Ohio Congressman and a Militia General during the War of 1812.
Beall was born in Montgomery County, Maryland, and his family moved to Washington County, Pennsylvania during his youth.
He married Rebecca Johnson ca. 1792. In about 1801, he and his family moved to Ohio, settling initially at Steubenville. He later moved from Jefferson County to New Lisbon, in Columbiana County, Ohio.Robert Walker Tayler
Robert Walker Tayler (November 20, 1852 – November 25, 1910) was an Ohio attorney and politician who served as a member of Congress and a United States federal judge.
Born in Youngstown, Ohio, the son of Mayor Robert Walker Tayler, Sr., Tayler attended the public schools and received an A.B. from Western Reserve College in 1872 and taught in the high school in New Lisbon (now Lisbon), Ohio. He was superintendent of schools from 1873 to 1875, and editor of the Buckeye State in New Lisbon from 1875 to 1876. Tayler read law to enter the bar in 1877. He was in private practice in East Liverpool, Ohio from 1877 to 1880. He was a Prosecuting attorney of Columbiana County, Ohio from 1880 to 1885, thereafter returning to private practice in Lisbon, Ohio until 1890, then in New York City until 1892, and again in Lisbon, Ohio until 1895.
Tayler was elected as a Republican to the Fifty-fourth and to the three succeeding Congresses, serving from March 4, 1895 to March 3, 1903 as the Representative for Ohio's 18th congressional district. He was chairman of the Committee on Elections from the Fifty-fifth through Fifty-seventh Congresses. He declined to be a candidate in 1902 for renomination, instead returning to private practice in Youngstown, Ohio from 1903 to 1905.
On January 6, 1905, Tayler was nominated by President Theodore Roosevelt to a seat on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio vacated by Francis Joseph Wing. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on January 10, 1905, and received his commission the same day. Tayler moved to Cleveland, Ohio, and served on the court until his death in that city, in 1910. He was interred in Lisbon Cemetery, Lisbon, Ohio.William Duane Morgan
William Duane Morgan (1817–1887) was a newspaper editor and Democratic politician. He owned papers in the U.S. states of Pennsylvania and later Ohio. He was also Ohio State Auditor 1852-1856.
William Duane Morgan was born to a prominent family in Washington County, Pennsylvania. In 1837, he and his brother, Thomas Jefferson Morgan, owned and edited the Washington County Democratic newspaper Our Country.In 1840 he moved to New Lisbon, Ohio, where he owned the Ohio Patriot. He was nominated at the state Democratic Party convention for Ohio State Auditor in 1851, and defeated his Free Soil Party and incumbent Whig opponents in the general election. He served a four-year term, but was defeated by Republican Francis Mastin Wright for re-election. He then owned the Newark Advocate in Newark, Ohio from 1856 to 1880. He died in 1887.William T. H. Brooks
William Thomas Harbaugh Brooks (January 28, 1821 – July 19, 1870) was a career military officer in the United States Army, serving as a major general during the American Civil War.William W. Armstrong (journalist)
William Wallace Armstrong (March 18, 1833 – April 21, 1905) was an American journalist and politician born in Columbiana County, Ohio. He served as a Democratic Ohio Secretary of State from 1863-1865 and was later publisher of The Plain Dealer and postmaster of Cleveland.