Lincoln is a town in Providence County, Rhode Island, United States. The population was 21,105 at the 2010 census. Lincoln is located in northeastern Rhode Island, north of Providence. Lincoln is part of the Providence metropolitan statistical area and the Greater Boston combined statistical area.
Limestone quarrying has occurred there since colonial times at the village of Lime Rock. Lincoln was a part of the town of Smithfield until 1871, when it was split off and named in honor of Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln became an important mill town in the late 19th century, with many textile factories running along the Blackstone River. Lincoln's villages include Manville, Albion, Lime Rock, Lonsdale, Fairlawn, Quinnville, and Saylesville.
In 2008, the town was ranked #63 in Money Magazine's "Best Places to Live".
Lincoln is in the lower Blackstone Valley of Rhode Island and in the John H. Chafee, Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor, New England's historic National Park area.
Lincoln, Rhode Island
|• Type||Elected administrator-council w/ Financial Town Meeting|
|• Town Administrator||T. Joseph Almond (R)|
|• Town Council||Arthur S. Russo, Jr (I)|
Bruce J. Ogni (I)
Keith E. Macksoud (I)
James R. Jahnz (D)
Kenneth G. Pichette (R)
|• Total||18.9 sq mi (49.1 km2)|
|• Land||18.2 sq mi (47.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.7 sq mi (1.9 km2)|
|Elevation||249 ft (76 m)|
|• Density||1,159.6/sq mi (447.1/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
02802, 02865, 02838
|GNIS feature ID||1220074|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 18.9 square miles (49 km2), of which, 18.2 square miles (47 km2) of it is land and 0.7 square miles (1.8 km2) of it (3.80%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,898 people, 8,243 households, and 5,778 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,146.6 people per square mile (442.6/km²). There were 8,508 housing units at an average density of 466.8 per square mile (180.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.55% White, 0.84% African American, 0.08% Native American, 1.75% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.64% from other races, and 1.13% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.64% of the population. There were 8,243 households out of which 32.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.8% were married couples living together, 10.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.9% were non-families. 25.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the town, the population was spread out with 24.7% under the age of 18, 5.9% from 18 to 24, 28.8% from 25 to 44, 24.1% from 45 to 64, and 16.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 90.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $47,815, and the median income for a family was $61,257. Males had a median income of $41,508 versus $30,089 for females. The per capita income for the town was $26,779. About 3.9% of families and 5.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.2% of those under age 18 and 7.3% of those age 65 or over.
Lincoln School Department has three early learning centers (Pre-K) at Lonsdale, Central, and Northern Elementary. In total there are four elementary schools (Full day K-5): Saylesville Elementary School, Lonsdale Elementary School, Central Elementary School, and Northern Lincoln Elementary School. Lincoln has one Middle School, and one high school, Lincoln Senior High School. Their mascot is a lion. At one point, the middle and high school shared one campus, but in 2006 a new middle school was opened on Jenckes Hill Road. The high school, in desperate need of additional classrooms, expanded into the former middle school area. The Community College of Rhode Island's Flanagan Campus is situated in Lincoln.
Lincoln is home to the Quality Assurance Review Center (QARC), which performs thousands of radiotherapy reviews per year. QARC's primary support comes from federal grants at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and contracts with the pharmaceutical industry. It receives radiotherapy data from approximately 1,000 hospitals in both the United States and abroad. The center maintains a strategic affiliation with the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester, Massachusetts, and is located along the George Washington Highway.
Lincoln is also home to the Amica Mutual Insurance Company. Founded in 1907, it moved to Lincoln in 1994, after first being located in both Boston and Providence. The company mostly underwrites policies for property and casualty insurance, which includes automobiles, homeowners, and personal liabilities.
Albion is a village and historic district in Lincoln, Rhode Island, in the United States.
Albion is home to several mill buildings, churches, and the Kirkbrae Country Club golf course. The historic Blackstone River flows through the center of the mill village with a walking path running along the river. Albion Falls is a waterfall along the Blackstone River, and the Albion Bridge crosses the river just downstream from Albion Dam, built in 1916 to power Albion Mill, now a condominium complex. The word "Albion", from which the mill and village take their name, is the oldest name for Great Britain. The still-active Providence and Worcester Railroad passes through Albion.Butterfly Pond
Butterfly Pond, also known as Aldrich Brook, is a body of water in the town of Lincoln, in Providence County, Rhode Island.CES MMA
CES MMA (Classic Entertainment & Sports) is a mixed martial arts promotional firm based out of Providence, Rhode Island founded by boxing promoter Jimmy Burchfield Sr. It promoted the first sanctioned professional mixed martial event in the state of Rhode Island on September 17, 2010, at Twin River Casino.Since its inception, CES MMA has promoted and developed the careers of several current and former Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC) contenders, including Chuck O'Neil, Tateki Matsuda, Charles Rosa, Alex Karalexis, Thomas Egan, Dominique Steele, Rob Font and Ricardo Funch.Other UFC veterans to appear on CES MMA cards include David Loiseau and Drew Fickett. Several CES MMA alums have also made successful transitions to Bellator MMA, most notably Brennan Ward, who won his first three professional fights under the guidance of CES MMA before winning Bellator's middleweight tournament in 2013.In October 2012, CES MMA promoted its first pay-per-view event at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, featuring the professional MMA debut of former WWE wrestler Dave Bautista, before signing a multi-year broadcast deal with AXS TV in September 2014.Chet Nichols Jr.
Chester Raymond Nichols Jr. (February 22, 1931 – March 27, 1995) was an American professional baseball player. He was a pitcher over parts of nine seasons (1951, 1954–56, 1960–64) with the Boston/Milwaukee Braves, Boston Red Sox and Cincinnati Reds. He was the National League ERA champion as a rookie in 1951 with the Braves. He also finished runner-up to Willie Mays for the league's Rookie of the Year Award.
For his career, he compiled a 34–36 record in 189 appearances, with a 3.64 ERA and 266 strikeouts. His father, Chet (1897–1982), also pitched in the majors from 1926 to 1932.
Nichols died of cancer at his Lincoln, Rhode Island home at the age of 64.Eleazer Arnold House
The Eleazer Arnold House is a historic house built for Eleazer Arnold in about 1693, and located at 487 Great Road, Lincoln, Rhode Island in the Great Road Historic District. It is now a National Historic Landmark owned by Historic New England, and open to the public on weekends.
The house is a relatively large "stone-ender," a building type brought from the western part of England and used most commonly in northern Rhode Island. This geographic-specific aspect may have been due to the attribution of the work to John Smith "the Mason" of Smithfield, Rhode Island and his family. It was built two stories in height, with four rooms on each floor, a lean-to, exposed fieldstone end-walls, wooden side-walls, and a pilastered chimney. By the 20th century, a gable had been added to the structure.
In 1919 the house was donated to Historic New England (then the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities) by Preserved Whipple Arnold. It has since undergone two phases of restoration. In 1920 the first stabilization efforts were led by Norman Isham; and in 1950 the house and chimney received a thorough structural rehabilitation. In this second restoration, later alterations were removed to return the building to its 17th-century appearance.
The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1968, and was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1974 for its architectural significance.Today the building closely resembles its form during the early settlement in Rhode Island, though some details, including the leaded glass windows and the front door and its surround, are 20th-century replacements.Elliot–Harris–Miner House
The Elliot–Harris–Miner House is an historic house located at 1406 Old Louisquisset Pike in Lincoln, Rhode Island. It is a rambling three-section structure, whose main block is 2-1/2 stories tall with a cross-gable roof with bracketed eaves. The oldest portion of the house, however, was at its rear: it was originally a 1-1/2 story Cape style structure built c. 1710, but this has been torn down and replaced by a garage with a cross-gable roof matching that of the main block. These two sections are joined by a third section with a gable roof. The rear section was believed to be the oldest surviving Cape in Lincoln.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 30, 1984.Great Road Historic District
The Great Road Historic District is a historic district in Lincoln, Rhode Island, commemorating a portion of Rhode Island's oldest highway, dating back to 1683. Great Road served as the main connection between Providence, Hartford and Worcester during colonial times. The district includes a 0.6-mile (0.97 km) section of the road, which winds along the Moshassuck River between a junction with Breakneck Hill Road and another with Front Street. Notable historic properties along this stretch of road include the National Historic Landmark Eleazer Arnold House, a stone-ender built in 1687, which is now a museum operated by Historic New England, the 1812 Moffett Mill, the Israel Arnold House, and Hearthside, the 1810 home of Stephen Smith, who established the adjacent Butteryfly Mill in 1811.The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.Jenckes House (Jenckes Hill Road, Lincoln, Rhode Island)
The Jenckes House is a historic house at 81 Jenckes Hill Road in Lincoln, Rhode Island. It is a 1-1/2 story wood frame structure, five bays wide, with a central chimney. A 20th-century screened porch extends to the right side of the house, and a modern kitchen ell extends to the rear. The house is an 18th-century construction by a member of the locally prominent Jenckes family.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Jenckes House (Old Louisquisset Pike, Lincoln, Rhode Island)
The Jenckes House is a historic house at 1730 Old Louisquisset Pike in Lincoln, Rhode Island, United States. It is a 2 1⁄2-story timber-frame structure, five bays wide, with a large central chimney. The main entrance is flanked by pilasters and topped by a transom window and heavy molded cap. Additions extend the house to the south and northwest. The main block is estimated to have been built around 1760, by a member of the locally prominent Jenckes family.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Les Pawson
Les Pawson (February 3, 1905 in Pawtucket, Rhode Island – October 13, 1992) was an American marathon runner. Pawson worked in the mills of Rhode Island and for the city of Pawtucket parks department while he was one of the finest road runners in the United States.
Pawson's major competition was provided by John A. Kelley, Ellison Brown, and Gerard Cote. Pawson won the Boston Marathon in 1933, 1938, and 1941, becoming the second runner to win the race three times.After his running career, Pawson returned to his daily life in Rhode Island working until he was 75 years old. He died in 1992 at the age of 87. A road race and his former training ground in Rhode Island are named for him such as the Les Pawson loop in Lincoln Rhode Island in which the distance is 2.49 miles.Lime Kilns (Lincoln, Rhode Island)
The Lime Kilns of Lincoln, Rhode Island, are the remnants of three colonial-era lime kilns, all that is left of one of the oldest lime processing operations in North America. They are located respectively off Louisquisset Pike, Sherman and Dexter Rock Roads in an area that has been known for its lime processing since the 17th century. When originally built, they were roughly cylindrical structures fashioned out of unmortared rubble stone. The first kiln, whose ruins are located near the Flanagan campus of the Community College of Rhode Island west of Louisquisset Pike (approximately 41°53′49.7″N 71°27′33″W), was the largest of the three, nearly 20 feet (6.1 m) in diameter. The second kiln remains are located to the south of Sherman Avenue, near its junction with Louisquisset Pike (approximately 41°55′15.4″N 71°27′13.7″W). In 1984 the standing walls were 8 feet (2.4 m) high, with three recognizable openings. The third kiln, of which only a partial wall remains standing, is located on the south side of Dexter Rock Road (approximately 41°55′0″N 71°25′37″W).The kilns were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.Lime Rock, Rhode Island
Lime Rock (Limerock) is a village and historic district in Lincoln, Providence County, Rhode Island, United States, near Rhode Island Route 146. The village was named after the limestone quarries in the area, which started in the 17th century, and continue to the present where Conklin Limestone Company now operates. Because of the abundance of limestone in the area many houses had massive end chimneys and were called "stone enders," a distinctly Rhode Island style of architecture. The historic district includes 21 historically significant properties in an area extending from Wilbur Road (formerly Jeremiah Smith Hill Road), just west of its junction with Old Louisquisset Pike, eastward to Great Road, and then along Great Road as far as Simon Sayles Road. Among these properties are three quarries, and the ruins of three old lime kilns. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.Lincoln Woods State Park
Lincoln Woods State Park is a public recreation area covering 627 acres (254 ha) around Olney Pond four miles (6.4 km) northwest of Pawtucket in the town of Lincoln, Rhode Island. The state park is known for its giant glacial boulders and the stony nature of its terrain which prevented most of the parkland from being used as farmland or for other development.Lonsdale, Rhode Island
Lonsdale (also known as Londsdale) is a village and historic district in Lincoln and Cumberland, Providence County, Rhode Island, United States, near Rhode Island Route 146 and Route 95. The village was originally part of the town of Smithfield until Lincoln was created in the 1870s, and was originally centered on the Lincoln side of the river. William Blaxton settled in the area in 1635. In the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Lonsdale was home to several manufacturers including the Lonsdale Company's Bleachery, and the Ann & Hope mill was also located in the village in Cumberland.
The historic district encompasses a variety of mill-related resources in the central part of Lonsdale. Mill worker housing along Front, John, Lonsdale, and Main Streets is included on the Lincoln side of the Blackstone, while the Ann & Hope factory complex in Cumberland is included, as are mill housing areas on Blackstone Court and on Main, Cross, and Blackstone Streets.Manville, Rhode Island
Manville is a village in the town of Lincoln in Providence County, Rhode Island, United States. It is located at latitude 41.9616° North, longitude 71.4744° West. It has been assigned the ZIP Code 02838.
It is a mill village that lies along the Blackstone River. Northern Lincoln Elementary School is located in Manville. The village is known for the former Manville-Jenkes mill that burned down in 1956. The mill was a popular place to work in the village. Several row houses were constructed by mill owners to house their workers in the early 1900s. These rowhouses are known the residents of Manville as "the Brick Blocks", as well as the "Murnighan Mile". The village sports several businesses, including the Harmony Cafe, Lil and Gene's restaurant, Manville Palace Pizza, Denis' Market, Ernie's Auto Repair, One Stop Liquors, Lou's Cafe, the Manville Market and a Navigant Credit Union branch.
Manville RI. Incorporated 1812
in A Link Below info on the DVD "Senetchonet to Manville: A Journey Through Time" Log Cabin StudiosNational Register of Historic Places listings in Lincoln, Rhode Island
This is a list of Registered Historic Places in Lincoln, Rhode Island.
This National Park Service list is complete through NPS recent listings posted May 17, 2019.Saylesville, Rhode Island
Saylesville is a village and historic district in Lincoln, Rhode Island.Suretrade
SURETRADE was a stockbroker firm with an electronic trading platform created in 1997. It was headquartered in Lincoln, Rhode Island. It was acquired by FleetBoston Financial's Quick & Reilly in 2001, at which time the firm had over 350,000 customers and nearly $2 billion in assets.Twin River Casino
Twin River Casino Hotel, previously Lincoln Park, is a casino, hotel, and former race track in Lincoln, Rhode Island, owned and operated by Twin River Worldwide Holdings. The facility has 162,000 square feet (15,100 m2) of gaming space, with 4,108 slot machines, 97 table games, and 23 poker tables. The hotel has 136 rooms. Other amenities include a 29,000-square-foot (2,700 m2) event center, 16 eateries, 7 bars, and a racebook.
Municipalities and communities of Providence County, Rhode Island, United States
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|
|Cities and towns|