Lewisburg is a borough in Union County, Pennsylvania, United States, 30 miles (48 km) south by southeast of Williamsport and 60 miles (97 km) north of Harrisburg. In the past, it was the commercial center for a fertile grain and general farming region. The population was 5,620 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Union County. Located in central Pennsylvania, on the West Branch Susquehanna River, Lewisburg is northwest of Sunbury. It is home to Bucknell University and is near the Lewisburg Federal Penitentiary. Its 19th-century downtown is on the National Register of Historic Places. Lewisburg is the principal city of the Lewisburg, PA Micropolitan Statistical Area, and is also part of the larger Bloomsburg-Berwick-Sunbury, PA Combined Statistical Area.
Location of Lewisburg in Union County, Pennsylvania.
Location within the U.S. state of Pennsylvania
Lewisburg (the US)
|• Mayor||Judy Wagner|
|• Total||0.97 sq mi (2.52 km2)|
|• Land||0.97 sq mi (2.52 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|• Estimate (2016)||5,699|
|• Density||5,857.14/sq mi (2,261.00/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC)|
Lewisburg was founded in 1785 by Ludwig Derr. A settler of the area (since as early as 1763–1769), Derr had purchased several tracts of land from the William Penn family and other neighboring land owners, the largest of which was known as "The Prescott". Having been on the land for such a long time, Derr had befriended the local Native Americans of the area. His relationship with these indigenous peoples was so well founded that, even as many of the other local settlers' homesteads were routinely sacked by Native Americans, Derr's lands remained free from attacks. Subsequently, in 1784, he worked with Samuel Weiser to lay out his combined land tracts, and create Derrstown. The name was later changed to Lewisburgh when Snyder County was created from Union County in 1855 (according to a local Keystone marker sign), but was known on original plans and deeds as Lewisburg before that time (also see note below).
Much has been considered regarding 'how' the name changed from Derrstown to Lewisburg. The most likely truth is that Derr's first name "Ludwig" translated into English as "Louis" but, being of German descent, it was spelled "Lewis". Later, after Derr's death, the traditional Germanic "burgh" was appended to his first name to create Lewisburgh.
Note: U.S. Postal Service records contradict this story. The post office was named Lewisburgh when it was established in 1796; in 1893, the name was shortened to Lewisburg.
The street names that run east and west are a local urban mystery. St. George, St. Catherine, and St. Louis etc. appear to be named for saints. However, since Derr was a Lutheran, and did not pay homage to Catholic saints, this is unlikely. Rather, the street names are more likely named for Derr's family members, as those streets are consecutively parallel, and emanate from what was then Derr's home, and the location of the first available lot sold (which were both situated on, what is now, Mill Street). George was Ludwig's son, his wife Catherine and Ludwig/Lewis (sic) himself. The other original street names that still exist are St. John, St. Mary and St. Anthony, which are probably the names of other children from families with whom Derr's own family were friends. However, there is an indication that Derr also had a daughter named Mary. Overall, however, the premise is further supported by the notion that the German word for street is Strasse (Straße, abbreviated St). At the time, street names were pronounced as Strasse Mary or Strasse George. Later, when signs were made to note the street names, the abbreviation for Strasse was allowed to remain, but the US/English abbreviation was redundantly added to the signs.
The second mystery surrounding Lewisburg is the disappearance of its founder Ludwig Derr. After selling several lots of land, Derr set off for Philadelphia to sell additional lots. Shortly after arriving, records indicate some of his lots had sold. However, Ludwig Derr simply disappears from history in that city. Derr's son George went to Philadelphia to search for his father, but returned a short time later, unsuccessful.
Over the centuries, Lewisburg has been a center of commerce in Union County. The West Branch Susquehanna River was used for logging and shipping, and remains of old factories and other ancient stone structures exist along the river banks. Prior to, and during, the Civil War, many abolitionists lived in the area, and several locations within the town of Lewisburg served as stopping points on the famous Underground Railroad.
Lewisburg is located at (40.963895, -76.888154).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,620 people, 1,778 households, and 787 families residing in the borough. The population density was 5,724.7 people per square mile (2,214.2/km2). There were 1,938 housing units at an average density of 1,974.1 per square mile (763.5/km2). The racial makeup of the borough was 91.57% White, 2.62% African American, 0.19% Native American, 2.79% Asian, 0.11% Pacific Islander, 1.00% from other races, and 1.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.33% of the population.
There were 1,778 households out of which 17.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 33.7% were married couples living together, 8.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 55.7% were non-families. 42.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.97 and the average family size was 2.64.
In the borough the population was spread out with 10.0% under the age of 18, 45.9% from 18 to 24, 16.4% from 25 to 44, 12.8% from 45 to 64, and 14.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 22 years. For every 100 females, there were 87.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.3 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $30,137, and the median income for a family was $53,409. Males had a median income of $32,727 versus $25,436 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $14,146. About 6.3% of families and 22.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.9% of those under age 18 and 6.2% of those age 65 or over.
There are four polling places in Lewisburg Borough. Ward 1 is found in the Senior Center, 116 N. 2nd St., Lewisburg. Ward 2 is located Union County Courthouse Lobby, 103 S. Second St., Lewisburg. Ward 3 is located in the Donald Heiter Community Center, 100 N. 5th St., Lewisburg. Ward 4 is located at St. John's United Church of Christ, 1050 Buffalo Rd., Lewisburg.
The borough is located in the 85th House District and the 23rd Senate District of the Pennsylvania General Assembly. With regards to the U.S. House of Representatives, residents are in Pennsylvania's 10th congressional district. Each state is represented by two at large senators in the United States Senate.
Property taxes, for the 2018 budget year, were raised again by council to 12.94 mills. The budget was $5.49 million. For 2017, taxes were increased to 12.74 mills. In 2016, Lewisburg Borough Council raised property taxes for the third year in a row to 11.74 mills. The budget was set at $3.1 million. In 2015, the property tax rate was 10.9 mills. The Council and East Buffalo Township agreed to conduct a study regarding consolidating into one political entity. The cost of the study is $30,000.
The Lewisburg Area School District is the public school district serving the borough and surrounding area. In 2016, Lewisburg Area School District ranked 21st out of 496 Pennsylvania public school districts, by the Pittsburgh Business Times. In 2015, the District was ranked 22nd out of 500 Pennsylvania public school districts for student academic achievement. In 2009, Lewisburg Area High School was awarded a Silver Medal and recognized as one of America's Best High Schools by U.S. News & World Report, placing it among the top 3% of high schools in the nation. The Lewisburg Area High School has been ranked in the top ten percent in the state. In 2007, Pittsburgh Business Times ranked the district 39th out of 499 Pennsylvania school districts based on three years of Pennsylvania System of Student Assessment test scores. The district has been innovative in meeting the needs of their special education students which has led to substantially increasing costs.
They provide technical training through the regional SUN Area Career and Technical Center located in New Berlin, Pennsylvania.
Donald H Eichhorn Middle School serves 6th through eighth grades. The school was recognized as one of the finest in the nation when it received the National Blue Ribbon Award of Excellence from the United States Department of Education in 2002, and again in 2017. The school was awarded as a National Schools To Watch in 2010.
Linntown Intermediate houses grades four and five with a student population of 270 and approximately 20 professional staff members.
Kelly Elementary serves kindergarten through third grades. The school has approximately 560 students. It offers a child centered learning program that builds a solid foundation of reading and math skills for all students. Class sizes are typically 20 or less to maximize learning experiences in the formative years. In 2008, the district changed to all day kindergarten in order to prepare its students to meet rigorous academic goals. A small school district, the enrollment in kindergarten in 2008 is 141 pupils.
Pennsylvania conducted a Costing Out Study to identify how much per pupil spending should be to achieve student success. The study called for the district to spend $11,538 per child. The district spends $9,242 per pupil ( a $2,297 deficit in spending per pupil according to the study), with outstanding results and a well rounded program. Lewisburg Area School District ranked 220th of all 501 districts in per pupil spending Lewisburg ranked 39th of all 501 districts in academic performance on the PSSA.
In 2007 the district levied a variety of taxes to support its programs. Taxes include a levy of 13.06 mills on real estate, a per capita tax of $15 on residents who are at least 18, and a tax of 1.5 percent on the earned income. In May 2007 the district's voters rejected raising the local earned income tax to reduce property taxes.
A Pre-Kindergarten program was added in the fall of 2008. It serves a small number of children ages 3 and 4. The program's cost for the first year was paid for with a $78,000 state grant.
Bucknell University is located in Lewisburg.
Hufnagle Park is located on Market Street in the downtown area. It offers open space, a panic pavilion, playground equipment and gardens. It is named in honor of former Police Chief Gordon Hufnagle. Chief Hufnagle died saving lives during the Agnes Flood on June 21, 1972. The park is in his honor, as is a footbridge built in 1982 located a small distance from the park.