Laurel Avenue is an American three-hour television miniseries which aired on HBO on July 10 and 11, 1993. It is the story of an eventful weekend in the lives of an extended African American family living in St. Paul, Minnesota. Paul Aaron and actor Charles S. Dutton served as executive producers. The teleplay was written by Michael Henry Brown, based upon a story by Aaron and Brown. The miniseries was directed by Carl Franklin.
|Written by||Paul Aaron & Michael Henry Brown (story)|
Michael Henry Brown (teleplay)
|Directed by||Carl Franklin|
Rhonda Stubbins White
|Country of origin||United States|
Charles S. Dutton
|Running time||180 minutes|
|Production company(s)||HBO Independent Productions|
|Original release||July 10 –|
On July 10, 2001, the miniseries was released on VHS. However, it has yet to be released on DVD or any other digital video format.
Abreeza Mall is a large shopping mall complex located at J.P. Laurel Avenue, Bajada in Davao City, Philippines. It is the first Ayala Shopping Center located in Mindanao. It opened on May 12, 2011. It is owned by Accendo Commercial Corporation, a joint venture company of Ayala Land and Anflocor.
The 4-storey mall lies within a 4-hectare space of the 10-hectare commercial complex. Also in the same complex stands a 4-storey Robinson's Mall. At least three hectares of the entire property will be sold for residential or commercial purposes, including a hotel and residential condominium projects Abreeza Residences and Abreeza Place.Actors' Laboratory Theatre
The Actors' Laboratory Theatre was a politically active theatre company and acting school founded in January 1941 by Roman Bohnen, Jules Dassin, Dick Flake, Lloyd Bridges, Danny Mann, Jeff Corey, Mary Virginia Farmer and J. Edward Bromberg. During the Second World War, the Actor's Lab made multiple performances for servicemen, in association with the Hollywood Victory Committee.The Actor's Lab was originally above Sharkey's Bar at the corner of Franklin and Bronson Avenues in Hollywood. In 1943, the theatre moved to 1455 North Laurel Avenue, Hollywood, California.The Actors' Lab brought the ideas and acting techniques of New York's Group Theatre to California, and "prided itself on having opened its doors to students of all races." Hedda Hopper criticized the group for this opposition to racial segregation. The Actors' Lab was eventually denounced as a communist organization, and some of its members and former-members, including Lloyd Bridges and Morris Carnovsky, were blacklisted.
Owing to the accusations of communism, the Actor's Lab lost its sources of financial support. Bohnen and other principals of the theater were called before a California Senate committee and declined to disclose if they were Communists. The U.S. Internal Revenue Service subsequently withdrew the group's tax exempt status, and the Veterans Administration cancelled its contracts with the group. Bohnen, considered the group's driving force in its final days, died of a heart attack during an Actors' Lab performance, and his death was partly attributed to the Lab's difficulties. The theatre was closed in February 1950.Anthony, Rhode Island
Anthony (previously known as Greenville and The Quaker Village) is a village along Route 117 within the town of Coventry, Rhode Island near the villages of Washington and Quidnick on the southwestern banks of the Pawtuxet River (Flat River). The village comprises "Anthony, Arnold, Boston, Mapledale, Meeting, Taft, Washington and Laurel Avenue."Previously, Anthony was known as "Greenville" and "The Quaker Village." In the eighteenth century, the Greene Family were early owners of the land and gave their name to the village where they operated a gristmill, forge, and sawmill. Many of the village residents, including the Greene family, were Quakers, members of the Society of Friends and part of the Greenwich Monthly Meeting, attending meetings at the Quaker Meeting House on Meeting Street, which was used for services from 1825 to 1915. The building is now a club house. Anthony was established and renamed in 1805 by William and Richard Anthony who built a textile mill in the village as part of the Coventry Manufacturing Company. By 1811 another cotton mill was built and later the Coventry Manufacturing Company operated in the area as well. The General Nathanael Greene Homestead is located near the village.
The historic heart of the village, a 250-acre (100 ha) centered on Washington Street roughly between Sandy Bottom Road and Fairview Avenue and extending as far south as the Nathanael Greene Homestead, was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010 as the Anthony Village Historic District.Beaumont Municipal Transit System
The Beaumont Municipal Transit System is the primary provider of mass transportation in Jefferson County, Texas. Ten routes are operated from Monday through Saturday. All routes terminate at the Dannebaum Station Transit Center.
Dannebaum Station Transit Center, located adjacent to the site of a historic railroad depot, was built in 2000 at the cost of $670,000. It is located on Laurel Avenue and is bounded by Laurel on the south, Liberty on the north, Magnolia Avenue to the west, and Willow Street to the east at 30°05′01.6″N 94°06′10.6″W geographic coordinates (across the street from the Jack Brooks Federal Building).Chelmer, Queensland
Chelmer is a middle suburb in the City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) west of the Brisbane CBD on the Brisbane River. Chelmer is zoned as a residential area, and consists of low-density housing. It has many fine Queenslanders, characterised by wooden verandahs, wide stairways and roofing of galvanized iron, but in recent years solid brick homes have been built also. It suffered badly from the 2011 Queensland floods, with many homes submerged by the rising river.Chelmer Police College
Chelmer Police College is a heritage-listed former police barracks at 17 Laurel Avenue, Chelmer, City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It was built from 1900 to 1970. It is also known as 10 WRAAC Barracks, The Lady Wilson Red Cross Convalescent Home, and Waterton. It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 1 October 2003.DXBT
DXBT (99.5 FM), branded as Monster Radio BT 99.5, is a music FM station owned by Audiovisual Communicators, Inc. The station is a sister station of Monster Radio RX 93.1 in Manila. The studio and transmitter are located at The Peak, Gaisano Mall of Davao, J.P. Laurel Avenue, Bajada, Davao City. It broadcasts daily from 5:00 AM to 12:00 MN.DXUR
DXUR, currently branded as Halo Halo 97.1, is a music FM radio station owned by Viva Live, Inc. in the Philippines. The station's studio is located at Unit 49, 4th floor of Landco Corporate Center Bldg., J.P. Laurel Avenue Bajada 8000 Davao City and its transmitter located at JP Laurel Ave., Bajada, Davao City. It is the second FM station of the Del Rosario's Viva group, and the first in the Mindanao region.Foley Downtown Historic District
|address=Parts of Alston, McKenzie, E. and W. Laurel and W. Orange Sts.
The Foley Downtown Historic District, in Foley, Alabama, is a historic district which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005. The district was amended by a boundary decrease listing in 2012.Boundaries originally encompassed parts of Alston, N. and S. McKenzie, U.S. Route 98, E. and W. Laurel, Myrtle, Rose, and W. Orange until a boundary decrease of June 4, 2012
The original listing included 29 contributing buildings and one contributing site on 230.6 acres (93.3 ha). It included:
the Depot, i.e. the former railroad depot of Foley, which in 2003 was the City of Foley History Museum, at 125 East Laurel Avenue, (c. 1909; 1971; 1995). This is a one-story weatherboard Craftsman style depot building with a hipped and cross gable roof, decorative wood brackets, and a brick foundation. The building was moved Magnolia Springs in 1971 and was moved back to its original site in Foley in 1995.
a Masonic Temple building.Location: Parts of Alston, N & S McKenzie, AL 98, E & W Laurel, Myrtle, Rose, and W. Orange
Architects who have one or more works in the district include Frank Lockwood and Warren, Knight & Davis.
Architecture: Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, et al.
Historic function: Domestic; Commerce/trade; Government; Social; Religion; Industry/processing/extraction; Health Care
Historic subfunction: Single Dwelling; Hotel; Specialty Store; Warehouse; Restaurant; City Hall; Meeting Hall
Criteria: event, architecture/engineering
Foley Downtown Historic District (Boundary Decrease)
Location: Parts of Alston, McKenzie, N. & S. Laurel & W. Orange Sts.
Date added: June 4, 2012
It includes one or more works by architect Frank Lockwood.
Architecture: No Style Listed
Historic function: Government; Commerce/trade; Health Care; Recreation And Culture; Domestic; Landscape
Historic subfunction: Post Office; Specialty Store; Hospital; Auditorium; Park; Single Dwelling; Business
Criteria: event, event, architecture/engineering, architecture/engineering
Number of acres: 19.4
Number of contributing buildings: 28
Number of contributing sites: 1Fort Sanders, Knoxville
Fort Sanders is a neighborhood in Knoxville, Tennessee, USA, located west of the downtown area and immediately north of the main campus of the University of Tennessee. Developed in the late 19th century as a residential area for Knoxville's growing upper and middle classes, the neighborhood now provides housing primarily for the university's student population. The neighborhood still contains a notable number of its original Victorian-era houses and other buildings, several hundred of which were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 as the Fort Sanders Historic District.
Fort Sanders is named for a Civil War-era Union bastion that once stood near the center of the neighborhood, which was the site of a key engagement in 1863. In the 1880s, several of Knoxville's wealthier residents built sizeable houses in what is now the southern half of Fort Sanders, then known as "White's Addition," while the northern half, known as "Ramsey's Addition," was developed to provide housing for plant managers and workers employed in factories along Second Creek. Fort Sanders was incorporated as the separate city of West Knoxville in 1888, and was annexed by Knoxville in 1897. In its early years, Fort Sanders residents included some of Knoxville's leading industrialists and politicians, as well as professors from the University of Tennessee.
Fort Sanders was the childhood home of author James Agee, and provided the setting for his Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, A Death in the Family. A ten-fold expansion of U.T.'s student body after World War II brought about the need for student housing, and many of the old homes in Fort Sanders have since been converted into apartments.Gaisano Mall of Davao
Gaisano Mall of Davao, branded as GMall of Davao, is a major shopping mall located along J.P. Laurel Avenue, Bajada, Davao City, Philippines, part of the Gaisano Malls operated by DSG Sons Group, Inc. With a gross land area of 182,020 square meters, and a total floor area of 240,605 square meters including the multilevel car park building. it is the largest of more than 40 Gaisano malls in the Philippines and the largest mall in Davao City. It has six floors of shops, arcades, food hall, theater with eight cinemas, and home to The Peak, located in the top of the mall. Tens of thousands of customers shop in the mall daily.Holland, Monmouth County, New Jersey
For the township in Hunterdon County, see Holland Township, New Jersey.Holland is an unincorporated community located on the border of Holmdel and Middletown townships in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. The community is centered on the intersection of County Route 52 (through which the township line runs) and Holland Road. The area making up Holland is hilly and consists of large single-family residences. An AT&T Labs campus is located off Laurel Avenue (CR 52 north of Holland Road) while Tatum County Park is also located in the area, both of which are on the Middletown side of the border.Holy Cross of Davao College
The Holy Cross of Davao College (HCDC) is a private and research Catholic college institution founded by the Religious of the Virgin Mary Sisters in 1951 and maintained by the Foreign Mission Society of Quebec (PME Fathers) in 1956. In 1978 the school was handled over to the Archdiocese of Davao. It is located in Davao City, Southern Mindanao, Philippines.
It is currently divided into six units: the School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Communication, the School of Teacher Education, the School of Business and Management Education, the College of Engineering and Technology, the College of Maritime Education, and the College of Criminal Justice Education. It also runs grade school and high school units.HCDC has three campuses, the Main Campus at Sta. Ana Avenue (which houses the Undergraduate, Graduate and Technical and Vocational Courses) and the JP. Laurel Avenue Campus (elementary and high school) - all located in the center of Davao City. The other one is located at Camudmud, Babak Island, Samal, which caters undergraduate programs only. HCDC also engages itself and the students into Community Extension Services.Laurel Avenue Church of Christ
Laurel Avenue Church of Christ is a Non-Denomination church belonging to the Restoration Movement Churches of Christ/Christian Churches located in Chesapeake, Virginia.
"The Laurel Avenue Church of Christ began with the separation from the congregation on Bond Street and Winsor Avenue in Norfolk, Virginia. This separation came about with approximately 25 members relocation to a fish market on Maltby Avenue. Shortly thereafter, the market burned due to faulty wiring and a move was made to the home of Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Dail also on Maltby Avenue. This move developed into the organization of an independent Church of Christ. The year was 1933 and the minister was Edgar Harden."North 30th Street
North 30th Street is a two-way street that runs south-north in the North Omaha area of Omaha, Nebraska. With the street beginning at Dodge Street, historically significant sections include those from Dodge to Lake Street, from Fort Street to Laurel Avenue, and from Weber to Bondesson Streets.Park View High School (Loudoun County, Virginia)
Park View High School is a public secondary school in Sterling, an unincorporated area in Loudoun County, Virginia, United States. The school is part of Loudoun County Public Schools and is located at 400 West Laurel Avenue in the Sterling Park community.Recreation Park (Binghamton)
Recreation Park is a public, urban park in Binghamton, New York. Located in Binghamton's West Side, Recreation Park is bordered by Seminary Avenue on the South, Beethoven Street on the West, Schubert Street on the North, and Laurel Avenue on the East. It was founded by shoe manufacturer George F. Johnson, and is home to one of his six famous carousels. The park also contains a bandstand, statues, numerous athletic fields and courts, a playground, and walking paths.Rockingham (house)
Rockingham is a historic house that was the home of John Berrien (1711–1772) and George Washington's final headquarters of the Revolutionary War. It is located at 84 Laurel Avenue, Franklin Township in Somerset County, New Jersey. The house was originally located on the hillside east of the Millstone River at Rocky Hill. It has been moved within southern Franklin Township several times, and is now closer to Kingston than to Rocky Hill. The residence is a featured part of the Millstone River Valley Scenic Byway. The oldest portion of the house was built as a two-room, two-story saltbox style house c. 1710; a kitchen and additional rooms were added on in the early 1760s, expanding with the Berrien family. The first reference to the house as "Rockingham" does not appear until a 1783 newspaper advertisement to sell the house, a name given most likely in honor of the Marquess of Rockingham.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 18, 1970 for its significance in military and social history. Additional documentation was approved on January 11, 2010, after the house was moved in 2001.SM Lanang Premier
SM Lanang Premier, also known locally as SM Lanang, is an indoor four-story shopping mall in Lanang, Davao City, Philippines along Jose P. Laurel Avenue and within S.P Dakudao loop. It is the first SM Supermall to be called "Premier". The mall is owned by Henry Sy, Sr. and managed by SM Prime Holdings. Construction of the mall started in 2011 and opened to the public on September 28, 2012, on the site of the former Lanang Golf and Country Club.
The mall has a gross floor area of 144,002 m2 (1,550,020 sq ft) making it the 3rd largest shopping mall in Mindanao after Gaisano Mall of Davao and SM CDO Downtown Premier. The mall has 273 stores along with several restaurants. The mall has the SM Store and SM Supermarket as anchor stores. It features six cinemas, an IMAX Theater, SMX Convention Center, SM Science Discovery Center (Now closed since 2015), a bowling center, and an Al fresco dining situated along the fountain court, located at the back of the mall. SM Lanang Premier is the 4th largest taxpayer in Davao City along with SM City Davao.
Films directed by Carl Franklin