Langho is a small rural village 5 miles (8 km) north of Blackburn in the Ribble Valley, Lancashire, England. It is part of the parish of Billington and Langho. The village is linked with Blackburn and Clitheroe by the A666 road and is served by Langho railway station on the Ribble Valley Line. The population at the 2011 census was 2,015.
To the north, separated from the main village by the A59 road, is the original village of Old Langho. Further north there is Brockhall Village, a gated community developed in the 1990s on the site of a hospital. As of 2012, Northcote Manor, on Northcote Road, is the only restaurant in Lancashire with a Michelin star.
The original Old St Leonard's Church was replaced by the present church in 1880, though the old church is still used several times a year for special services. There is a Church of England Primary School in the village, also called St Leonard's. There is also a Catholic church (Saint Mary's) and a Catholic school of the same name.
St Leonard's Church, Langho
Shown within Ribble Valley
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Media related to Langho at Wikimedia Commons2015 Ribble Valley Borough Council election
The 2015 Ribble Valley Borough Council election was held on 7 May 2015 to elect members of Ribble Valley Borough Council in England. This was on the same day as other local elections.A666 road
The A666 is a major road in Greater Manchester and Lancashire, England. Known as Manchester Road, Bolton Road, or Blackburn Road, depending on which area it is in, it runs from its junction with the A6, M61 and A580 at the Irlams o' th' Height boundary with Pendlebury near Manchester, through Pendlebury, Clifton, Kearsley, Farnworth, Bolton, Darwen and Blackburn before meeting the A59 at Langho. Along the route are the West Pennine Moors, the Turton and Entwistle reservoir and the Entwistle reservoir forest.
It is sometimes referred to as the Devil's Highway or the Devil's Road because of Biblical associations of its number 666, and its high accident rate on the moors between Egerton and Darwen. Conversely, for a short length from the M61 Kearsley spur and bypassing Farnworth to central Bolton, it is officially called St. Peter's Way.
Road works (speed limit changed from 70mph to 50mph, speed cameras, better safety fencing, banning cyclists from the road, slip road changes) finished at the start of 2000 reduced traffic collisions and crashes by 60%. Before this it was having 26 vehicle collisions and crashes a year with 40 people injured.Billington, Lancashire
Billington is a village in the Ribble Valley district of Lancashire, England. It lies between the villages of Whalley and Langho. It forms part of the Billington and Langho civil parish and contains the schools St Augustine's RC High School, St Leonard's Primary and St Mary's Primary. The village population at the 2011 census was 1,409.The 16th century Chapel of St Leonard is a Grade I listed building. According to local tradition, the chapel was constructed using materials taken from Whalley Abbey following the dissolution of the monasteries in the Tudor period, but this has never been conclusively proven.Billington and Langho
Billington and Langho is a civil parish in the Ribble Valley district of Lancashire, England, covering the villages of Billington and Langho.
According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 4,555, however the United Kingdom Census 2011 grouped the parish with Dinckley (2001 pop. 83), giving a total of 5,415.Brockhall Village
Brockhall Village is a gated community in the Ribble Valley, Lancashire, England and home to the training facilities for Blackburn Rovers F.C. The village is in the civil parish of Billington and Langho and is 7 miles (11 km) north of Blackburn.Calderstones Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Calderstones Partnership NHS Foundation Trust based in Whalley, Lancashire, England, was a provider of services for people with a Learning Disability or other developmental disorders in the North West of England. It became a Foundation Trust in 2009.
It provides an on-site assessment and treatment facility with hospital based care in Whalley and a community service that includes more than 40 houses across the North West. Some of the land formerly used by the institution has been sold off for housing.
In 2001 the Trust cared for 375 people, 211 at Calderstones, and 164 in the community. 85 people were admitted through the courts.Calderstones was once the centre of Lancashire’s institutional care, with 3 hospitals, Brockhall Certified Institution, Langho Epileptic Colony and Calderstones Certified Institution in close proximity.Calderstones Hospital was managed by Burnley District Health Authority from 1974 to 1982 when it passed to Lancashire Area Health Authority.In June 2015 it was reported to be considering a merger with Mersey Care NHS Trust. It currently has a turnover of £42 million per year, and it will be reducing the number of beds from 215 to 182.It was named by the Health Service Journal as one of the top hundred NHS trusts to work for in 2015. At that time it had 1396 full-time equivalent staff and a sickness absence rate of 6.1%. 61% of staff recommend it as a place for treatment and 62% recommended it as a place to work.In October 2015 it was announced that the hospital would be closed and the Trust abolished by July 2016. Merseycare is to take over the remains of the organisation.Dinckley
Dinckley is a small village and civil parish located in the Ribble Valley, in Lancashire, England. Owing to the limited extent of the population details from the Census 2011 are maintained within the civil parish of Billington and Langho. The parish is situated on the south side of the River Ribble, 6 miles (9.7 km) north of Blackburn. The northern boundary of the parish is formed by the River Ribble, and the eastern boundary by Park Brook and Dinckley Brook. The parish is part of the Langho ward, which is represented on Ribble Valley Borough Council by two councillors, both from the Conservative Party.Dinckley Ferry was a rowing boat which crossed the river connecting the village to Hurst Green. The ferry was replaced by a suspension bridge in the 1950s.Hacking Hall
Hacking Hall is a Grade I listed, early-17th-century house situated at the confluence of the rivers Calder and Ribble in Lancashire, England.
It is thought that J. R. R. Tolkien (Lord of the Rings) may have taken inspiration from the ferry here for the Bucklebury Ferry over the Brandywine river in his book, as it was still operational when Tolkien visited nearby Stonyhurst College.John Rushton (priest)
John Rushton (1798-1868) was Archdeacon of Manchester from 1843 until 1854.
He was born at Newchurch in Rossendale, Lancashire. His first post was a curacy at Langho. After this he held incumbencies in Newchurch in Pendle, Prestwich and Blackburn.He married Henrietta, the eldest daughter of William Leaper Newton of Leylands near Derby in 1844. He died on 21 February 1868. His son, also called John, won a rowing blue at Cambridge and was himself Vicar of Blackburn from 1877 to 1897.LHO
LHO could refer to:
Langho railway station, England; National Rail station code LHO.
Live Human Organs (Cargo Code, see List of aviation, aerospace and aeronautical abbreviations)Langho railway station
Langho railway station serves the village of Langho in the Ribble Valley in Lancashire, England. The station is 5 1⁄4 miles (8.4 km) north of Blackburn.
It is one of four railway stations along the Ribble line from Blackburn to Clitheroe reopened in 1994 by British Rail and Lancashire County Council, having been closed by the British Railways as an economy measure in 1956, six years before the local passenger service over the line ceased. The station has maintained transport links with existing bus services and has its services provided by Northern.Listed buildings in Billington and Langho
Billington and Langho is a civil parish in Ribble Valley, Lancashire, England. It contains nine listed buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England. Of these, two are listed at Grade I, the highest of the three grades, one is at Grade II*, the middle grade, and the others are at Grade II, the lowest grade. The parish contains the villages of Billington and Langho, and is otherwise mainly rural. The listed buildings are houses, farmhouses, a farm building, and a church.New St Leonard's Church, Langho
New St Leonard's Church is in Whalley New Road, between the villages of Langho and Billington in Lancashire, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Whalley, the archdeaconry of Blackburn, and the diocese of Blackburn.Northcote (hotel)
Northcote is a hotel and restaurant in a 19th-century manor house in Langho, Lancashire, England. The restaurant has held a Michelin star since 1996 Michelin Guide. Executive Head Chef Lisa Goodwin-Allen focuses on "local dishes based on regional ingredients".The hotel was named AA Hotel of the Year - England 2016–17 and VisitEngland Hotel of the Year 2017.Old St Leonard's Church, Langho
Old St Leonard's Church is a redundant Anglican church 1 mile (1.6 km) northwest of the village of Langho, Lancashire, England. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.Ramsgreave and Wilpshire railway station
Ramsgreave and Wilpshire is a railway station on the Ribble Valley Line that serves the villages/suburbs of Ramsgreave and Wilpshire, just north of Blackburn in Lancashire, England. The station is 2 3⁄4 miles (4.4 km) north of Blackburn railway station.
The present station was built 400 yards (370 m) south of the original Wilpshire station which served the Ribble Valley Line until its closure just before the Beeching Axe in 1962. When the line was re opened in 1994 a new site had to be found, due to the construction of houses which blocked access to the old station. The platforms which served as the old Wilpshire Station (also known as "Wilpshire for Ribchester") can still be seen.Ribble Valley Borough Council elections
Ribble Valley Borough Council in Lancashire, England is elected every four years. The authority is currently controlled by the Conservative Party, with 33 councillors to 6 Liberal Democrats and one independent.Wilpshire
Wilpshire is a village and civil parish in the county of Lancashire, England. It is 2.5 miles (4.0 km) north of Blackburn, and forms part of the town's urban area, although it is in the Ribble Valley local government district. In the 2001 United Kingdom census, the parish had a population of 2,569, increasing to 2,582 at the 2011 Census.The village is situated on the A666 Whalley Road, between the Brownhill area of Blackburn and the village of Langho. The local railway station is Ramsgreave and Wilpshire, on the Ribble Valley Line with train services to Blackburn, Manchester and Clitheroe.
The only pub in the village is the Wilpshire Hotel, formerly known as The Red House.
Wilpshire Golf Club is a private golf club in the village, was founded in 1890. Originally it was a nine-hole course but extended to an eighteen-hole course in 1907. James Braid was commissioned to redesign the course. Most of the reconstruction took place before 1924. In 1995 the course was altered by a new 17th hole.York, Lancashire
York is a hamlet in the Ribble Valley district of the county of Lancashire, England. It is near the village of Langho. For transport there is the A666 road and Langho railway station nearby.
Geography of the Borough of Ribble Valley